• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Kirby and the Forgotten Land |ST| Hero in Another Dimension

Favorite Kirby game from the 2010s?

• Kirby's Epic Yarn

Votes: 35 21.1%
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Kirby Mass Attack

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • Kirby Star Allies

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
I...have not actually started the game yet. I got home and knocked out for like 4 hours. I really needed the sleep. Gonna try and

I think it's hard to fault Dream Land 2 for featuring a simpler control scheme since it predates Super Star (although no doubt there was probably some overlap in development), and coming from Adventure the whole "3 animal companions that alter the copy abilities in different ways" mechanic was quite novel. At the time. I think it also clicks very well with the more puzzly nature of Dream Land 2 since it wasn't just a matter of getting a specific copy ability to certain points of a level, but you often had to bring the right companion too, especially if you wanted to collect all the rainbow drops. Which is probably why they retained this for Dream Land 3 despite Super Star already being out.

It's also possible there was a difference in creative visions between Sakurai and Shinichi Shimomura, with the former wanting to move the series in a more complicated and brawler esque direction (which would lead directly into Smash Bros.) while the latter preferred the simpler control scheme mixed with a more puzzly gameplay.
Yeah, I can't fault Dream Land 2 all that much, you're right. Like, Adventure did the same thing with mostly one use abilities, but it doesn't bother me - it's the first use of abilities, after all. It's really with Dream Land 3 and 64 where the divergent design philosophies really cement themselves, and now it's apples and oranges. And the Dark Matter Apple isn't as tasty to me as the Super Star Orange.

All that having been said, I like the balance the modern style Kirby games have the best, with the basic style of Super Star but more puzzles and interactions within the levels to find set numbers of collectibles.

All that having been said, I like the balance the modern style Kirby games have the best, with the basic style of Super Star but more puzzles and interactions within the levels to find set numbers of collectibles.
Totally. Modern Kirby is such a warm bath / blanket of a franchise. Love it ❤️ HAL might be my favorite of Nintendo’s partners at this point.

That opening was just delightful wasn’t it?
Such a good flex by HAL

They've really perfected the rail camera haven't they? Unlike 3D World there is not a single moment of me bumping the right stick to get a new view, much less bumping it at the exact moment that I can't.

Also some of treasure road challenges are tricky! Just the right level of optional difficulty in my "breezy, not super challenging" game

First world is done! Went for 100% on it to get every Waddle Dee and do every challenge star.

Too early to say, but this game could become my favorite Kirby game by the end of it. I love everything honestly. The art direction of an abandoned world, the music, mouthful mode, how they adapted so many copy abilities into 3D (I love the Needle ability way more now than in 2D), and how flipping cute this game is at every moment.

this game is delightful so far

haven't played a Kirby game since Super Star Ultra and Canvas Curse, and this was a great entry to come back to

My favourite thing about this is when you throw bombs when in the water they have a little inflatable ring around them too.
Right?!

I wasn't ready for that lol. Kirby is just completely confident in what kind of game it is... cute and clever. And that's apparently just what I needed right now. 😂

My favourite thing about this is when you throw bombs when in the water they have a little inflatable ring around them too.
I love that fishes wear swimming goggles (tho nothing new, still cute)

Having a great time with Kirby so far! I’m 100% done with World 1 and have made my way into world 2. Kirby feels great in 3D and I like all of the fun little touches and hidden areas to find. Kind of glad I’m a bit busy this weekend so I don’t devour it too quickly.

The Treasure Roads are pretty cool and work well for when you want to just play stuff in 5 minute bursts. In that way they remind me of BOTW's shrines lol.

this game is delightful so far

haven't played a Kirby game since Super Star Ultra and Canvas Curse, and this was a great entry to come back to
I am a huge Kirby fan and have played every mainline game and then some. As much as I love the series, there were, in my opinion, only two genuinely great games in the series, as in "essential part of their console library's software" great. Those were Super Star (Ultra) and Robobot. I haven't finished this yet, but I'm pretty sure this is gonna be #3 in that regard.

Are there some Waddle Dees you can’t get on your first run through a world? I’m on Rocky Rollin Road and have missed one. I’ve gone through it five times and can’t find it!

(Not looking for someone to tell me where it is, just if I can’t get it right now)

Are there some Waddle Dees you can’t get on your first run through a world?
All Waddle Dees in this level can be found on your first run through (I've had to reword this post twice cuz the first two versions sounded kinda harsh which I didn't mean to do at all lol)

Last edited:
So I finally started playing the game.

I knew about it because of the thread, but I was not ready for that 1980's anime opening-ass song, that was incredible.

If you had asked me five years ago what kind of Kirby game I would want, I would have said a 3D Adventure….

…this is better than I could have imagined.

I'm willing to bet there's gonna be some really dope lore tucked away in this game and written entirely in this world's made-up language. And I'm gonna have to wait for someone to translate it and post it online lol

IMO, the production of this Kirby is the opposite of the MK8 DLC Pack 1. The MK8 DLC didn't have a super high production value regarding the visuals, but the music production was top notch (including live performance tracks).
Kirby OTOH always has great visual details, but the music production has a smaller budget with synth instruments/orchestras (although virtual instruments are much better nowadays than like 10 years ago). It's a pity that the music department didn't get the same recording budget as Mario Galaxies/3D World/Odyssey for this title. The music compositions deserve it to make them full justice.

That's game for me! 100% completion!

Loved it, definitely in the top 3 Kirby games; currently debating if it overtakes Robobot for me.

God tier secret oh my gosh

The other HAL Room i've seen later in the game is even more cryptic to find than the first! Glad they're not backing down on the obscure secrets even in 3D.

Scattershot thoughts:

• Difficulty is great! Wild Mode is actually giving me a run for my money, keeping me on my toes and learning me to value the food items. (Which are adorable btw)
  • Waddle Dee Town is just nothing short of amazing! I love how the economy actually works and benefits the design, and seeing it all evolve is so rewarding. The "crafting", for lack of a better word, is so exciting, and finding new ways to upgrade your abilities is dope af.
  • Some levels actually remind me of Super Mario Sunshine. And since Sunshine contains some of my favorite platforming levels of all time, that's saying a great deal.

All in all, this game is blowing me away more and more by the minute. And this is not the best part of the game! The best part of these games imo are the ones when you've already completed the game and backtrack for 100%.

This game has the design approach of 3D World, the inventiveness of Odyssey and at the same times somehow feels like the environmental storytelling of The Last of Us. Brilliant.

I am a huge Kirby fan and have played every mainline game and then some. As much as I love the series, there were, in my opinion, only two genuinely great games in the series, as in "essential part of their console library's software" great. Those were Super Star (Ultra) and Robobot. I haven't finished this yet, but I'm pretty sure this is gonna be #3 in that regard.
Adventure is #4 right? Right? Because that one still holds up even if it's a bit simplistic.

Adventure is #4 right? Right? Because that one still holds up even if it's a bit simplistic.
Hmmmmmm I do like Adventure a lot, but I also think Dream Land 3 is underrated! Adventure is definitely a damn good game, don’t get me wrong, but I am a sucker for the Shimomura trilogy.

idk if it's because i'm total garbage or not but completing the boss fights without taking damage is a real pain in the ass having to exit then re-enter the stage and walk back to the arena every time 😮‍💨

finished world 1 and so far while it's fine I'm pretty unimpressed. maybe it was a mistake to play so many Kirby games in the lead up to this game because right now it's feeling oddly familiar/bland. ready to see it pick up with later worlds.

That's game for me! 100% completion!

Loved it, definitely in the top 3 Kirby games; currently debating if it overtakes Robobot for me.

The other HAL Room i've seen later in the game is even more cryptic to find than the first! Glad they're not backing down on the obscure secrets even in 3D.

How long did it take you to 100% the game?

Damn the world 5 boss can kick your ass if you go in unprepared.

Also the final form for Fire is so cool lmao. The game does a really good job incentivizing you to do sidequests; I usually just go straight for the final boss but I tend up stopping every once in a while to grind for upgrades. The Waddle Dee town sim stuff is cute too.

Just beat world 3. I thought bosses were a little too damage-spongy at first but then I discovered the game has witch-time which completely changed how I approached them and made them sooooooo much better.

It also shows how the first sword upgrade is complete garbage because you can't dodge with it lol.

How long did it take you to 100% the game?
My Switch has it in the 20 hours or more range.

Less playtime for me than Star Allies, funnily enough; this game doesn't really have anything super replayable like Guest Star, so it makes sense. Maybe that'll change if this game gets some post-launch support; though they didn't announce it before release like Star Allies so i'm a little skeptical.

Anyone who says this game is easy hasn't tried the Waddle Dee Cafe gig. That shit gets hectic.

Finished the first boss and hit the main gameplay loop finally. The evolved abilities are cool! And this game has one of the most satisfying gachapon machines I've seen since Smash Bros. Melee (which was also a HAL Labs joint). Really liking the Treasure Road mini-levels, they're definitely challenging especially if you're trying for a quick clear!

This game really is such a comfy blanket. I'm going to take my time and luxuriate in it's chill and awesomeness.

Charm and polish all around, god damn

These challenge levels are extremely fun. Wonder if there's a secret bonus for getting the target times?
There doesn't seem to be any change in the mark on the world map if you reach the target time unlike collecting all the Waddle Dees in the normal levels. Right now I'm guessing there's not a bonus for reaching all of them, plus the reward for getting one isn't all that major so it feels like optional difficulty for people who want the bragging rights.

God tier secret oh my gosh

🤯🤯🤯🤯

I might need to go back and activate that to get some of those copy abilities available in town early. Definitely saw a couple in there that aren't normally available in the first world

At the start of world 4. Got 100% on the first 3 worlds and have done a lot of stuff in Waddle Dee Town.

Unless the game starts to get old from now until the credits this will be my favorite Kirby game by a long shot. They've done a really good job making each level stand out in terms of what copy abilities and mouthful modes they hand out along with each one having pretty memorable setpieces and art design.

They cut a lot of copy abilities. There's, what, 12 of them in Forgotten Land? And two of them are Sleep and Crash? Coming off of games with 20+ it's a little jarring, but I get it. Better to focus on a smaller set of abilities and their upgrades as well as fitting in Mouthful Mode. But wow, a Kirby game without even Beam? What is this, the Dark Matter Trilogy?

I reserve the right to be a little mean to the Dark Matter Trilogy, but it's all preference and good fun.

Last edited:
At the start of world 4. Got 100% on the first 3 worlds and have done a lot of stuff in Waddle Dee Town.

Unless the game starts to get old from now until the credits this will be my favorite Kirby game by a long shot. They've done a really good job making each level stand out in terms of what copy abilities and mouthful modes they hand out along with each one having pretty memorable setpieces and art design.
I'm just now at world 4 too and almost made this exact same post... I was afraid of jinxing it tho lol

But yeah, unless the game starts to get bad in the second half this is easily the best Kirby has ever been. To me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom