• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Hollow Knight: Silksong โ€” Pre-release Discussion Thread

okay okay okay

THIS IS HUGE

LIKE ACTUALLY

for those that donโ€™t know, South Korean ratings are an entirely different system โ€” like it is the major one not supported by IARC

when you submit for IARC, thereโ€™s a whole separate section for South Korea โ€” they offer you some options but it often looks like โ€œweโ€™ll give you the right contact, or send an initial email so you can get together and work it outโ€

this is WAY MORE OF AN INDICATOR than having an IARC E10+ rating

and again, if itโ€™s submitted, we donโ€™t know for sure every storefront (the most theyโ€™ve ever launched with) has completed the review and approval process

but this makes it likely that it has been submitted, probably for release

now you have to understand, marketing strategies are often a long game. even if itโ€™s ready to go, even if it has all pre-release approvals (again, WAY MORE STOREFRONTS and devices than they originally scoped)โ€ฆ

we still might not see it for months! we donโ€™t know exactly what that roadmap looks like, and despite my oracle bullshit โ€” itโ€™s none of our damn business

but itโ€™s real. itโ€™s likely ready. and I think weโ€™ll hear more about it relatively soon.

but itโ€™s real. itโ€™s likely ready. and I think weโ€™ll hear more about it relatively soon.
Me [standing on a cliff side overlooking the ocean, pensive and wavering]: Do I dare to risk yet another heartbreak? Do I allow myself to believe in hope and joy once more? Iโ€™ve been hurt so many times before that I fear I can no longer truly trust again.

Also me:
IMG-1977.gif

Is it weird that all this is making me legit emotional? Like, this is my most anticipated game ever. I have thought about it literally every day for the last five years. And now it's almost here, for real. I'm probably gonna sob uncontrollably when I play it for the first time.

Is it weird that all this is making me legit emotional? Like, this is my most anticipated game ever. I have thought about it literally every day for the last five years. And now it's almost here, for real. I'm probably gonna sob uncontrollably when I play it for the first time.

So, I've never played Hollow Knight, but I'm becoming a fan of metroivanias and have the game on my Steam wishlist. I propose you a little game: sell it to me.

So, I've never played Hollow Knight, but I'm becoming a fan of metroivanias and have the game on my Steam wishlist. I propose you a little game: sell it to me.
I mean, it's my favorite piece of media of all time. It's the pinnacle of the genre. It's also dirt cheap. There is no way you can go wrong purchasing the game. There is a reason that everyone is so excited for Silksong. Give it a shot.

It's the perfect mix: the gameplay is stellar, as a metroidvania is a pinnacle of the genre alongside Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night, the art is amazing, the music and sound design is absolutely perfect and the lore and story is very, very good, it will keep you reading a lot after you beat the game. All of this mixed result in an absolute masterpiece.

I have been playing since I was a kid with the NES, and personally I can't find a single flaw or bad thing I could say about the game. Before playing it I thought people were exaggerating about the game, but I was so wrong. Truly stellar, an atemporal masterpiece everybody should play at least once.

It's the perfect mix: the gameplay is stellar, as a metroidvania is a pinnacle of the genre alongside Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night, the art is amazing, the music and sound design is absolutely perfect and the lore and story is very, very good, it will keep you reading a lot after you beat the game. All of this mixed result in an absolute masterpiece.

I have been playing since I was a kid with the NES, and personally I can't find a single flaw or bad thing I could say about the game. Before playing it I thought people were exaggerating about the game, but I was so wrong. Truly stellar, an atemporal masterpiece everybody should play at least once.

Thank you for your input. I'll try to get the game this year (possibly as soon as the Steam Summer sales) and report back once I've played a few hours :)

okay okay okay

THIS IS HUGE

LIKE ACTUALLY

for those that donโ€™t know, South Korean ratings are an entirely different system โ€” like it is the major one not supported by IARC

when you submit for IARC, thereโ€™s a whole separate section for South Korea โ€” they offer you some options but it often looks like โ€œweโ€™ll give you the right contact, or send an initial email so you can get together and work it outโ€

this is WAY MORE OF AN INDICATOR than having an IARC E10+ rating

and again, if itโ€™s submitted, we donโ€™t know for sure every storefront (the most theyโ€™ve ever launched with) has completed the review and approval process

but this makes it likely that it has been submitted, probably for release

now you have to understand, marketing strategies are often a long game. even if itโ€™s ready to go, even if it has all pre-release approvals (again, WAY MORE STOREFRONTS and devices than they originally scoped)โ€ฆ

we still might not see it for months! we donโ€™t know exactly what that roadmap looks like, and despite my oracle bullshit โ€” itโ€™s none of our damn business

I literally made this account to ask cause when I go to the IARC website, the South Korean rating system is right there.
Look under Participating Rating Authorities: https://www.globalratings.com/about.aspx

Why do you say it's not supported? Do you have a link that says so?

Aside from being HK-curious, Iโ€™m so excited/happy for everyone who has been waiting patiently for this game to release. I hope you all can finally put your clown wigs in a box in the attic/basement soon.

Your time approaches!

Why do you say it's not supported? Do you have a link that says so?
the answer is shockingly simple:

iโ€™m a dumbass

and have so far Iโ€™ve only submitted games for preliminary IARC ratings through the Epic store, which includes everything but GRAC and instead uses the process I describe

A6qOhvC.jpeg

it seems like if youโ€™re less of an asshole than Epic is, GRAC is a lot more willing to work with you, lmao

but what this does tell us is that they likely submitted IARC through the Microsoft / Xbox Store or Nintendo eShop โ€” both of which I suspect have a slightly higher burden of proof than Epic, which might be why GRAC works with them without reservation.

good catch though!

iโ€™m a dumbass

and have so far Iโ€™ve only submitted games for preliminary IARC ratings through the Epic store, which includes everything but GRAC and instead uses the process I describe

A6qOhvC.jpeg

it seems like if youโ€™re less of an asshole than Epic is, GRAC is a lot more willing to work with you, lmao

but what this does tell us is that they likely submitted IARC through the Microsoft / Xbox Store or Nintendo eShop โ€” both of which I suspect have a slightly higher burden of proof than Epic, which might be why GRAC works with them without reservation.

good catch though!
Honestly though, when you combine the fact that they just now let the game be wishlisted on both Xbox and PlayStation, and also have the ratings showing for the public, it still paints a picture of Silksong coming soon.

iโ€™m a dumbass

A6qOhvC.jpeg

good catch though!
Alright, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. I made the reddit post that Daily Silksong News linked to in the latest episode and I didn't want that to say something wrong.

I'd assume they submitted it through Microsoft since that's where all the ratings have been appearing. And also that the game is close anyway, since they could've gotten a rating easily for a long time but still waited until now.

Alright, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. I made the reddit post that Daily Silksong News linked to in the latest episode and I didn't want that to say something wrong.

I'd assume they submitted it through Microsoft since that's where all the ratings have been appearing. And also that the game is close anyway, since they could've gotten a rating easily for a long time but still waited until now.
Iโ€™ve been telling these poor people complete and utter nonsense about Silksong for so long

that when I finally had a kernel of actual relevant insight, I failed to check whether or not my shit applied to other IARC stores

o hubris, my old friendโ€ฆ

but yeah lmao. welcome to the pit!

sorry for dragging you in with lies

enjoy your stay!

uhhh I guess maybe I should introduce myself for context

Iโ€™m @Suswave, apparently, and Iโ€™m technically one of the founding members of the site.

what I brought to the table was an abdication of all responsibility and an insistence that the site serve something we call the โ€œshitpost abyss.โ€

I think Iโ€™m best known around here for doing a month-long thread rpg with cutscenes, posting so many grotesque horses that I was begged to stop, and triple-posting far too often

Iโ€™m also working on a game called Grรถgol Bonanza, which โ€” of course โ€” started as a shitpost in the predecessor to this community

the big takeaway is that no matter how sure of myself I sound, I truly cannot be trusted! Iโ€™m in a perpetual game of superposition twister, no way to know where this minuteโ€™s bit spread ends and I begin. up and down in chaosโ€ฆ like some kind ofโ€ฆ sus waveโ€ฆ

Iโ€™ve been telling these poor people complete and utter nonsense about Silksong for so long

that when I finally had a kernel of actual relevant insight, I failed to check whether or not my shit applied to other IARC stores

o hubris, my old friendโ€ฆ

but yeah lmao. welcome to the pit!

sorry for dragging you in with lies

enjoy your stay!

uhhh I guess maybe I should introduce myself for context

Iโ€™m @Suswave, apparently, and Iโ€™m technically one of the founding members of the site.

what I brought to the table was an abdication of all responsibility and an insistence that the site serve something we call the โ€œshitpost abyss.โ€

I think Iโ€™m best known around here for doing a month-long thread rpg with cutscenes, posting so many grotesque horses that I was begged to stop, and triple-posting far too often

Iโ€™m also working on a game called Grรถgol Bonanza, which โ€” of course โ€” started as a shitpost in the predecessor to this community

the big takeaway is that no matter how sure of myself I sound, I truly cannot be trusted! Iโ€™m in a perpetual game of superposition twister, no way to know where this minuteโ€™s bit spread ends and I begin. up and down in chaosโ€ฆ like some kind ofโ€ฆ sus waveโ€ฆ
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Thatโ€˜s once again a good example for Process deniers, how big the power of it is, if you trust it.
oi, we predate the process

let us clown in our own lane!

yeah I haven't seen a Metroid fan put on the clown makeup yet.
Iโ€˜ve seen one, but Iโ€˜m sure it was a Silksong fan in disguise. Iโ€˜m not sure if that counts as a personality disorder, but he seems to be on the lower end, if you look at the Silksong Discord and Subreddit.
oi, we predate the process

let us clown in our own lane!
r2objhaj4n481.jpg

Last edited:
I was away from home for a week, so I didn't browse the internet all that much, but I followed these recent developments with a smile on my face.

Is there still room in the Famiboards-Silksong happening bunker?

Lot of insiders saying there's a major Xbox event early June, I'm thinking that's where we'll see it again

lots of event from now til the end of June, any of this is possibly a potential re-reveal venue at this point. the sooner the better, if U ask me :p

June feels too far away given the major rumbling we've been getting. But, well, I'll take it.
lmao no it doesnโ€™t

this is plate tectonics, not farts in the wind

major motion means โ€œlikely this year,โ€ not โ€œtomorrowโ€

I think we could see something in the next three months, and release within the next six, but Iโ€™m not going to assume anything other than โ€œshit is in motionโ€

I've occasionally had this thread on ignore to avoid getting false hope from seeing it bumped, but now we are at a point where I have it on watch.

Triple I initiative is due in 3 days and will have over 30 announcements from renowned indie studios.

I'm not expecting it to be there but who knows... Plus for any indies aficionado it's a must watch

I was really doubtful of any inclusion at Triple I, especially since the foundational studios have nothing to do with themโ€ฆ

so I downloaded and read the press kit

which is juuust ambiguous enough to change my opinion from โ€œabsolutely notโ€ to โ€œvery unlikelyโ€

still would be shocked if this is the venue! but I will at least entertain the possibility โ€” skeptically and without expectation.

Please do note, though, that Team Cherry is not at all listed as a studio or friend:

rwuN4Uz.jpeg

but if I was scheming to drop silksong news, I wouldnโ€™t want to give it away either

it also bears repeating that Team Cherry has very solid connections and inroads with the major three โ€” a release date at any of their events will have monumentally more impressions than a little-known indie showcaseโ€™s first run.

which, of course, Iโ€™m sure will grow โ€” and by no means do I think having a large audience should ever mean scoffing at indie events and the community โ€” but depending on what those arrangements would look like, this would seem an unusual move

III has 3,650 subscribers at the moment. All people who are likely already interested in Silksong. and surely โ€” surely โ€” more people than that will watch it. but in terms of marketingโ€ฆ itโ€™s not the first move that jumps to mind with the established power-relationships.

Itโ€™s so small that it may have made an attractive offer โ€” but when the release date is a critical announcement for the success of the game, it would be strange, by any measure.

It's to big. The idea is that some bigger announcements can boast the reach of the others, but the other side of that coin is that it can outshine everything else and have the discourse only be about that announcement. So yeah, I don't think it would be reasonable

It's to big. The idea is that some bigger announcements can boast the reach of the others, but the other side of that coin is that it can outshine everything else and have the discourse only be about that announcement. So yeah, I don't think it would be reasonable
sure, but the reason Iโ€™m saying itโ€™s extremely unlikely but not impossible is because you have to think of it from an organizer perspective

triple i likely has stuff they most want to show off from their own studios.

but to make it an event โ€” they wanted to bring people in for other announcements. so on the one hand, they probably want their announcements to be the biggest ones.

but on the other hand โ€” this is an initiative โ€” they need to establish that they have even more clout together and can put on an exciting showcase and pull people in.

I have no doubt that at some point, someone at least considered Team Cherry. I think the organizer opinion is that they could be more boon than detriment.

again โ€” I really really really donโ€™t think weโ€™ll see it here. but I canโ€™t completely dismiss the idea that someone in the Triple I mix at least contemplated asking if TC would be interested.

I'm expecting that an announcement will be a standalone thing directly from Team Cherry. That would be similar to how the game was announced and I'm pretty sure Leth suggested that would be the case in an interview last year. Which means it could happen basically any time (not necessarily imminent, just not tied to some event/show).

Back
Top Bottom