• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour [Giant Bomb/Mike Minotti] Rumour: The Queen might have delayed September Nintendo Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk about the media coverage is enough media coverage for me. Luckily I'm confident I'll be able to completely avoid the actual media coverage.

Neither NoA nor NoE will ever do something without the consent from Japans Office, EVER.
That's what I'm saying - the current sources regarding a delay are based on Western proposals that NCL hasn't gotten around to yet

What? RIP. God bless her family.

But the queen of UK has nothing to do with an entertainment company from Japan…. The so called insiders sometimes… that’s not funny.

Just go play splatoon 3 and have a blasting weekend people.

It should be noted that the original announcement that Elizabeth II was being put on watch by her doctor was at 8:30 pm Japan Time.

Someone could have seen it before going to bed and sent out a notice to PR.

But that's just my speculation.

I mean, regardless on what your thoughts on her and the monarchy are, the fact is this will dominate all news coverage for week across the world, so there's no point doing any big marketing events for any major corporation at this time. It'll just get lost. From a business persepctive makes sense to wait for the hubub to die down.

I just wish I hadn't rushed Xenoblade 3 now to distract me from the non-stop coverage. Ah well, I have the third route in Fire Emblem Warriors to complete at least

2) Lol this smacks of ‘it’s not announced yet I need an excuse to off ramp my guessed date’
It probably wouldn’t have been announced until next Monday anyway…?

Postponing a marketing presentation so it doesn’t have to compete with the Queen’s passing and the ensuing mourning period and funeral is the most logical thing in the world. It would be more surprising if the Queen passed and it didn’t have an effect on the immediate marketing plans of multinational corporations.

I do wonder what will third parties who are waiting for Nintendo to showcase their games during the Direct.
Especially this awful close to Tokyo Game Show.

Knowing Nintendo, they will probably delay it, but I'm not really sure.

Thing is, regardless of what happens you won’t know what the truth is. Direct happens next week, Grubb was right. Direct happens the week after, Grubb was right.

Nintendo have not announced anything so there’s nothing to delay. A Direct will happen, you can’t delay something that hasn’ been announced to begin with.

I'll just say it
October direct or probably twitter drops for the remainder of the month and we wait for a February direct.

Thing is, regardless of what happens you won’t know what the truth is. Direct happens next week, Grubb was right. Direct happens the week after, Grubb was right.

Nintendo have not announced anything so there’s nothing to delay. A Direct will happen, you can’t delay something that hasn’ been announced to begin with.
Maybe Grubb was wrong all along and this is his excuse ? :unsure:

You think they don't have internal projection dates? Delays don't only happened publicly.

You think they don't have internal projection dates? Delays don't only happened publicly.
I know that but we don’t see that, what I’m saying is this isn’t like when PlayStation announced their showcase but then had to delay due to the George Floyd incident. They have not communicated anything to the public therefore we won’t ever know if it was delayed or not when they get round to announcing it.

This is is very likely. I work on the industry (not interested to go into more detail) and I know of a number of campaigns and announcements due today or in the next days that are now paused / delayed.

Ridiculous overreaction over something not even tangentially related.

Sadly, as a Brit, I suspect this will be true. A lot of things are going to be cancelled and a lot of people really aren't grasping the scale yet.

If Nintendo decides to delay it, then it is ok to me. Waiting one or two weeks more is nothing that will bother me tbh.

I know that but we don’t see that, what I’m saying is this isn’t like when PlayStation announced their showcase but then had to delay due to the George Floyd incident. They have not communicated anything to the public therefore we won’t ever know if it was delayed or not when they get round to announcing it.

Yeah, most people here are framing this as "it would be dumb to delay"...but one can argue that it would probably be dumber for Nintendo to both announce and present a Direct during the period of mourning/media circus etc. - whether anyone feels all that attention is justified or not is irrelevant.

We all anticipated a event this month, he stuck his neck out with a date but now covered all his bases for the rest of the month. Not saying he’s unreliable or insider bashing but with this you won’t know if he was right or wrong.
It is weird, Grubb didn’t claim that he had heard of this delay. It came in through the Giant Bomb stream but it wasn’t his source. Grubb seemed as surprised as anyone. The ass covering narrative is ridiculous.

It’ll be easy to know if Grubb was right because he also made specific claims about the Direct.

That's... not how this works? We're close enough to the Direct that multiple people know when it has been set. Even if it has not publicly been announced, a delay is still possible, in which case I'm sure we'd hear numerous voices saying "I'd originally heard <x> but I guess they moved it". You don't have to believe those people, but the idea that "it can't have been delayed because it wasn't yet announced" is nonsense

It is weird, Grubb didn’t claim that he had heard of this delay. It came in through the Giant Bomb stream but it wasn’t his source. Grubb seemed as surprised as anyone. The ass covering narrative is ridiculous.

It’ll be easy to know if Grubb was right because he also made specific claims about the Direct.
Some people have a strange vendetta against insiders and will thus take anything as an opportunity to rag on them

Never mind that Grubb has been consistently reliable, and that he's not even the one saying that there'll be a delay. He's an insider, so according to those people, he's clearly just trying to cover his tracks by using this...very logical and reasonable reason (from a marketing perspective, at least) to delay a Direct as an excuse.

I’m not exactly itching for a direct because the partner showcase had me covered for the rest of the year, but I do hope they don’t end up doing this.

If it helps... this won't delay any games, just maybe the announcements, by maybe a week, couple of days after the funeral.

Ah, so Nintendo considers the death of a colonizing monarch who protects pedophiles to be on par with natural disasters, war crimes and 9/11. Good to know.
No, they just don’t think it’s a strategically optimal time to try to be like “check out these Zelda ports everybody!!”

Jeez.

Surely this thing wasn't going to be announced for another 4-5 days, right? Honestly seems kind of ridiculous to me to delay it lol. I guess if they're worried the news cycle for the entirety of next week is going to be swallowed up by her dying, which I guess it could be idk.

Surely this thing wasn't going to be announced for another 4-5 days, right? Honestly seems kind of ridiculous to me to delay it lol. I guess if they're worried the news cycle for the entirety of next week is going to be swallowed up by her dying, which I guess it could be idk.
Operation London Bridge (the plan that is initiated immediately after the queen's death) lasts for 10 days with stuff happening on each day so it will fill the global news cycle for 10 days at the absolute least

The venn diagram of the news cycle involving people who care about the British monarchy and who want to see the next big advertising drop from Nintendo is two circles 5 meters apart.

I mean...we'll see. The Direct wasn't rumored to be until next week anyway. Are they really going to go on a media blackout for two weeks because of this? It's not like there's only room in the news for one thing at a time, and I think that there's not exactly a giant overlap with news about one monarch and video games. It's a big deal, but it's also not exactly in the biggest market...

The venn diagram of the news cycle involving people who care about the British monarchy and who want to see the next big advertising drop from Nintendo is two circles 5 meters apart.
I don't disagree (though clearly an exaggeration), which is another reason I think it's ridiculous lol.

Operation London Bridge (the plan that is initiated immediately after the queen's death) lasts for 10 days with stuff happening on each day so it will fill the global news cycle for 10 days at the absolute least
That's very over-the-top for one person dying. Think of all the people who don't care!

I don't think there's huge overlap between the target audience for video game marketing and the (mostly somewhat older) group of people mourning the Queen's death, but anyone who remembers Princess Diana's death knows that this will be a very, very big deal even outside of the UK and the commonwealth.

Feels like there are good arguments both for and against delaying it, frankly.

I can understand Delaying some advertising event because of a tragedy.
The death of the queen isn't one, she was 96 dammit, most people didn't even reach this age, her death isn't tragic, it's just the way things are supposed to be.

This rumor is ridiculous.

I mean this seems so unbelievably silly considering the direct is rumored for next week, although I suppose a 1-2 week delay could be reasonable. Anything beyond that would be comical

I don't really think the same people grieving the queen are going to be bummed they missed a 40-minute ad dump from Nintendo on a Wednesday.

Not that this isn't big news, but Shinzo Abe was literally ASSASSINATED in the middle of the street and Nintendo didn't even stay silent for a whole 12 hours.

I can understand Delaying some advertising event because of a tragedy.
The death of the queen isn't one, she was 96 dammit, most people didn't even reach this age, her death isn't tragic, it's just the way things are supposed to be.

This rumor is ridiculous.
The Queen’s funeral has the potential to be the most viewed television event in history, with an estimated potential audience measured in the billions.

Like, yes, it’s not exactly unexpected or shocking given her age, but it’s going to be a major media event, one of the biggest of this century.

I feel like people dismissing this as ridiculous aren’t really prepared for the ride we’re all about to (willingly or not) go on, haha.

The Queen’s funeral has the potential to be the most viewed television event in history, with an estimated potential audience measured in the billions.

Like, yes, it’s not exactly unexpected or shocking given her age, but it’s going to be a major media event, one of the biggest of this century.

I feel like people dismissing this as ridiculous aren’t really prepared for the ride we’re all about to (willingly or not) go on, haha.
i think its more the rift between still existing and huge traditional media and new media, a lot of people that mostly consume new media are unaware how big that will be.
And many of them think that directs and old media are not overlaping, not realizing that, while the stuff of the direct wont be reported on evening news, the attention of (a ton) of people that are the target audience but not the hardcores will be distracted by the queen funeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom