• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour [Giant Bomb/Mike Minotti] Rumour: The Queen might have delayed September Nintendo Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. Would assume neither PS nor Ninty would want a big Showcase or Direct the week of the funeral.
As the UK is a big market for both of them. While something related to say TGS (Like the Capcom Show) doesn't really stand out as that's tied to an entirely different country and isn't technically a worldwide event (even if news will be coming out of it)

Actually wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. Would assume neither PS nor Ninty would want a big Showcase or Direct the week of the funeral.
As the UK is a big market for both of them. While something related to say TGS (Like the Capcom Show) doesn't really stand out as that's tied to an entirely different country and isn't technically a worldwide event (even if news will be coming out of it)
DINO CRISIS SUX

It's 2am in Japan. The decision makers are asleep.

"Mr. Furukawa, I am sorry to wake you at this hour but I have some grave news>"
"Is it my family? Did something terrible happen to any of our staff or offices?"
"It's the queen of England. She is sick. Maybe dead....I don't know"
"........................"

"Okay, okay, do we need to make any changes to the Direct in light of current events? Can't be too hard, right, what do we open with?"

"Uh, a castle full of ghosts from the HD Version of Wind Waker"

"Right, right. Yeah, that might be a little insensitive. Let's push it to the back of the direct. What else?"

"Well after that it's the evil King from Twilight Princess"

"Why is that a problem, it's the Queen that is dying..."

"They're gonna have a King now."

"Oh, yeah, okay. Alright, so we reedit Zelda, what else"

"Metroid Prime, in the trailer she..."

"Kills the Parasite Queen, no, no, I see your point."

"Evil Queen in the Thousand Year Door remake"

"yes yes, I get it"

"Announcement of the Ding Dong the Queen Is Dead DLC for Xenoblade..."

"JUST DELAY THE DIRECT"

No way that's true anyhow.

The queen just died and the newscycle surrounding her being in a critical condition is too recent for any serious reaction from Nintendo.

And yet Disney is having a event today, still think he fucked up on his info
Cancelling an already announced physical event that is happening today is a little different than postponing an unannounced virtual event that is happening next week, no?

Like, there are already people at D23. They can’t really delay that to optimize their position in the news cycle.

It is dissapointing, to get this close just to have the rug pulled out from underneath you. But i get it, its not worth the heat nintendo would take for having a direct during this time.

If Nintendo delayed the Direct then surely you would have expected everything around TGS to be delayed, that can’t happen as it’s an in person event.

Think they may be reporting on NoE sending preliminary emails suggesting a delay and not an actual official decision. Whether NCL will take that suggestion is another thing

Hard to believe tbh.
This is the easiest thing to believe in the world. No global business is going to want to have a product presentation next week. Apple is thanking their lucky stars the Queen waited until after their iPhone event, lol

As Nate points out, the people in Japan who decide are asleep.

However, if you're job is marketing in the western world, and you see this coming you would be failing utterly at your job to not begin considering alternate plans and how that might affect partners and contracts. Your job is to explain to Japan the situation on the ground so they can decide.

We haven't killed off a royal in a while so the youngsters might not remember what a media circus the death of Diana was. Obviously the media reality is much different now, where specialty news sources drive a lot of traffic, but it will be difficult to surface any game news up to the generalist press for a bit.

"Okay, okay, do we need to make any changes to the Direct in light of current events? Can't be too hard, right, what do we open with?"

"Uh, a castle full of ghosts from the HD Version of Wind Waker"

"Right, right. Yeah, that might be a little insensitive. Let's push it to the back of the direct. What else?"

"Well after that it's the evil King from Twilight Princess"

"Why is that a problem, it's the Queen that is dying..."

"They're gonna have a King now."

"Oh, yeah, okay. Alright, so we reedit Zelda, what else"

"Metroid Prime, in the trailer she..."

"Kills the Parasite Queen, no, no, I see your point."

"Evil Queen in the Thousand Year Door remake"

"yes yes, I get it"

"Announcement of the Ding Dong the Queen Is Dead DLC for Xenoblade..."

"JUST DELAY THE DIRECT"

You forgot the new Mario game trailer where he stomps repeatedly on Queen Bowsette's head, saying "So long, gay Queenie!"

However, if you're job is marketing in the western world, and you see this coming you would be failing utterly at your job to not begin considering alternate plans and how that might affect partners and contracts. Your job is to explain to Japan the situation on the ground so they can decide.

We haven't killed off a royal in a while so the youngsters might not remember what a media circus the death of Diana was. Obviously the media reality is much different now, where specialty news sources drive a lot of traffic, but it will be difficult to surface any game news up to the generalist press for a bit.
I don’t think this situation is comparable to Diana’s death. The queen isn’t nearly so popular and is also very old. Her death is not surprising. The media circus shouldn’t even be close. That said, of course this will dominate headlines for the week. I don’t know what delaying a Direct from next week to the following week will really accomplish. Doesn’t seem particularly relevant to Nintendo’s audience.

I would understand if the direct was gonna be tomorrow why maybe you delay it, but by Tuesday-Wednesday next week, 99% of the world is going to no longer care about the UK mourning a Queen.

I don’t think this situation is comparable to Diana’s death. The queen isn’t nearly so popular and is also very old. Her death is not surprising. The media circus shouldn’t even be close. That said, of course this will dominate headlines for the week. I don’t know what delaying a Direct from next week to the following week will really accomplish. Doesn’t seem particularly relevant to Nintendo’s audience.
You are correct, but that wasn't my point. My point is that if there was a Direct scheduled for next week, someone at NoA, NoE, and Nintendo UK need to put together a game plan, and that probably involves calling partners pre-emptively, which is how it bubbles down to Minotti/Grubb/etc.

This can simultaneously be "real" and "ultimately not a thing"

I would understand if the direct was gonna be tomorrow why maybe you delay it, but by Tuesday-Wednesday next week, 99% of the world is going to no longer care about the UK mourning a Queen.
Nah, her funeral alone is going to be a huge deal. This is going to dominate media coverage for at least a week. Marketing teams know that.

Personally I hope they do the Direct, but I'll understand if they don't.

Just slipped in to see if this had yet been covered on Famiboards... gotta say im a little shocked and appalled at the comments above. Reading in the context of both before and after it was confirmed - a total lack of respect.

It's true that the monarchy has a questionable history, and still living members too also have their demons. But she devoted her own life to serving the UK and Commonwealth, still at 96 year's of age, and she was a mother, grandmother and great grandmother.

Sad day.

It's going to stay in the news for a good while, especially considering the plans following her death has started (Operation London Bridge) and will go on for 10 days to her funeral which will be on the 18th.

Yeah the media isn't quite the same, but the last quarter century hasn't done wonders for the Crown's reputation either.

Oh, sure. People are going to be sick of hearing about it. But the media circus and the funeral and all is going to dominate the airwaves nonetheless.

It’s not really about Nintendo saying, like, “should people still care about the Queen passing on Tuesday?” It’s them making a marketing decision to optimize the awareness of their new products.

Of all the thread titles I've seen before, this is definitely one of the most memorable.

It wouldn't surprise me tbh, it's a big deal for the UK. Might be pushed back a week. People will be enjoying Splatoon anyways.

I'm still 50/50 on this. They don't have much wiggle room due to TGS.

I could see UK not getting a dedicated stream/the UK accounts not tweeting, but since English is the dominant language there, it's not like that would be the end of the world.

I'm still 50/50 on this. They don't have much wiggle room due to TGS.

I could see UK not getting a dedicated stream/the UK accounts not tweeting, but since English is the dominant language there, it's not like that would be the end of the world.
It goes beyond that (in terms of media effect) due to the Commonwealth.

Think they may be reporting on NoE sending preliminary emails suggesting a delay and not an actual official decision. Whether NCL will take that suggestion is another thing

Neither NoA nor NoE will ever do something without the consent from Japans Office, EVER.

[Edited because someone said the same thing just above so just gonna say that it’s a bummer if it’s true but I’d understand the decision]

Last edited:
He says might be. I'm not sure who's phone number he'd need to have to have heard anything from the horse's mouth minutes after it happening. So it's speculation.

Grubb et al. sure know how to entice people to visit their stream! ;)
... and this.

NoA and NoE would be flagging with partners that the Direct may be postponed, obviously the final decision would be made by Japan but they're unlikely to hold a potential direct til the 10 days of mourning and ceremonies have passed which will receive blanket coverage around the world.

He says might be. I'm not sure who's phone number he'd need to have to have heard anything from the horse's mouth. So it's speculation.

Grubb et al. sure know how to entice people to visit their stream! ;)

... and this.
Yeah I'm thinking this is more along the lines of reasonable speculation than hard info

Not been following the Queen's health, but how long has this been going on? If she was on death's door for a while I could see there being plans in place to delay in case of her death, which is where I could see this being actual info

1) I did not know there was such vitriol for the Queen. Heaven forbid someone has multifaceted feelings towards a person.

2) Lol this smacks of ‘it’s not announced yet I need an excuse to off ramp my guessed date’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom