• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour [Giant Bomb/Mike Minotti] Rumour: The Queen might have delayed September Nintendo Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, may the Queen rest in peace but... what does her death have to do with video games? Everyone dies one day, she was 96 years old, it was bound to happen sometime soon. I doubt the young, gaming generation of the UK cares enough about the Royals to warrant this but wellllll
I assume it's somewhat due to marketing as it can be assumed Britain's advertising etc will be swarming over the deceased Queen for a while before it expires.

This thread smells like twitter.

No me gusta.

More on topic, the Queen's death and the Direct seem unrelated enough that one inhibiting the other is a disappointment... so hopefully the delay, if it's real, isn't for too long.

I assume it's somewhat due to marketing as it can be assumed Britain's advertising etc will be swarming over the deceased Queen for a while before it expires.

NoE operates out of Germany though. So the people setting up the streams, working social media etc. in Europe should be available.

As for the advertising swarming over it... idk. The media? News outlets? Social Media Marketing? Surely. Advertising can't swarm over something that easily though, marketing campaigns are planned over long periods of time. All they can do at most is halt planned excessive marketing pushes until after the funeral.

But then the only companies I can see going that far is actual UK-based companies. Nintendo though? The UK isn't even close to their most important market. And like I said, i don't think there is much overlap in the target audience. General news platforms were never gonna report extensively on the Direct either way, regardless of the Queen's Death. They might have published a small article on page 35 of their listed articles about there being a new BOTW2 trailer, but that would be about it.

Idk, I don't see the benefit in them delaying. Especially considering the timing before TGS is probably not a coincidence & therefore can't easily be shifted around.

Even if they are seriously considering it though: Nintendo might just sit and watch what Ubisoft is doing though. If they go forward (no pun intended) on Saturday, Nintendo will probably just be like "If a European company can do it then we can too."

Apple just replaced their home page with an In Memoriam for the Queen – some of the most valuable real estate on the web, and the day after an iPhone event (and just hours before pre-orders go live), no less.

They’ve only disrupted their home page for In Memoriams twice – once for Rosa Parks, once for Steve Jobs.

So, yeah. This is a big deal to a lot of people, even if some posters here don’t really grok why. Nintendo deciding to adjust their promotional timeframe for the next few weeks is a very real possibility. I can promise you other companies have made similar adjustments.

This is a pretty baseless and uncredited rumour.
Not to mention the Queen died in the middle of the night in Japan.
Also, the Queen isn't that special. We can't delay things every time a popular figure dies -- one practically dies every week.

I think, if she had died next week, Nintendo would’ve postponed the Direct. However, she did not, and her funeral is not happening next week either. So, there’s really no reason to cancel anything.

The « RUMORED » Direct « MIGHT » be delayed.

According to Mama Gratta Alicia, it means Ricco might take a shower at 4PM tomorrow, but only if rats have covered a serpent’s eggs while wearing a Gremlins 2 VHS as a hat.

Apple just replaced their home page with an In Memoriam for the Queen – some of the most valuable real estate on the web, and the day after an iPhone event (and just hours before pre-orders go live), no less.

They’ve only disrupted their home page for In Memoriams twice – once for Rosa Parks, once for Steve Jobs.

So, yeah. This is a big deal to a lot of people, even if some posters here don’t really grok why. Nintendo deciding to adjust their promotional timeframe for the next few weeks is a very real possibility. I can promise you other companies have made similar adjustments.
I am now angry that they didn't honor Iwata

Ok, may the Queen rest in peace but... what does her death have to do with video games? Everyone dies one day, she was 96 years old, it was bound to happen sometime soon. I doubt the young, gaming generation of the UK cares enough about the Royals to warrant this but wellllll
Same thing Advance Wars delay has to do with videogames.

Respect, whether you agree or don’t.

while I get this argument I don't think they are on equal levels at all.

One is a country fighting against an on going invasion.

And the other one is the natural death of an ancient political figure that while greatly influential wasn't as important as it once was.

You’re downplaying her status big time.

Perhaps. I live in Canada where she is literally on the money, and the general response I’m seeing isn’t devastation and anxiety. It’s not like she was young and this is a surprise death.

It just seems asinine a Japanese company would delay a video game showcase planned for next week over it. Do we need to have a week of mourning over a 96 year old passing away from natural causes?

Lots of things will be announced next week. The world simply doesn’t need to mourn or change business as usual for this.

Respect? I’m sure some companies out here delaying (if they do) for “respect”

Also the war and her death are not equatable.
They are in ways.

Wars/violence are happening all the time around the world, he or others said popular people die all the time.

Delaying or stopping products isn’t going to change that.

I personally disagree with the delaying of both the Direct and Advance Wars and it’s not out of coldness.

So, I finally had time to look at the source, and the discussion here is wildly off base.

August 31. Mike Minotti says there is going to be a Direct on the 14th. Grubb is surprised by the absoluteness of this declaration. Has heard "the week of the 12th" will later say he is uncomfortable confirming Direct dates because he's be burned in the past.

September 8: Dave Ryckert says on stream that the Direct will "likely" be delayed. He has received the news while going to the bathroom and names his source live on Twitch. He doesn't just cite the news about the queen but that plus "some messy third party shifts"

TL;DR: Grubb isn't the source of this delay rumor, nor the solo source of the Direct date, nor is the Queen the only thing mentioned as the driver

If the Direct, which isn't announced yet, airs later than the rumoured date, this "report" would make these guys look more reliable, would it not? Seems like a win-win situation for them. I don't actually doubt their sources for the initial rumoured date, but to be talking about a delay moment right after the event occured screams opportunism to me.

Perhaps. I live in Canada where she is literally on the money, and the general response I’m seeing isn’t devastation and anxiety. It’s not like she was young and this is a surprise death.

It just seems asinine a Japanese company would delay a video game showcase planned for next week over it. Do we need to have a week of mourning over a 96 year old passing away from natural causes?

Lots of things will be announced next week. The world simply doesn’t need to mourn or change business as usual for this.
The significance is because she was the most well-known and one of the longest reigning monarchs in the world. Even if not making it through your nineties is very common, this isn't your average person. Despite modern times making her position mostly symbolic and honorary, she was treated as a very important person.

I do agree that the delay seems unnecessary, but I also understand why the reaction isn't just like any old famous person dying.

If the Direct, which isn't announced yet, airs later than the rumoured date, this "report" would make these guys look more reliable, would it not? Seems like a win-win situation for them. I don't actually doubt their sources for the initial rumoured date, but to be talking about a delay moment right after the event occured screams opportunism to me.
I was talking to mate earlier about this, if I was in their shoes I would have waited middle of the week to address why it didn't happen and address that your sources were off then quickly into reaction mode of a potential delay.

So, I finally had time to look at the source, and the discussion here is wildly off base.

August 31. Mike Minotti says there is going to be a Direct on the 14th. Grubb is surprised by the absoluteness of this declaration. Has heard "the week of the 12th" will later say he is uncomfortable confirming Direct dates because he's be burned in the past.

September 8: Dave Ryckert says on stream that the Direct will "likely" be delayed. He has received the news while going to the bathroom and names his source live on Twitch. He doesn't just cite the news about the queen but that plus "some messy third party shifts"

TL;DR: Grubb isn't the source of this delay rumor, nor the solo source of the Direct date, nor is the Queen the only thing mentioned as the driver

The tweets are there for everybody to see.

Both Ubisoft Forward and Disney/Marvel Game Showcase haven´t been delayed yet.
Not to mention TGS itself is still on track as well.
As long as TGS doesn´t get delayed, I think a Direct is still very likely for next week.

Sorry but I can’t take your posts seriously when it comes to this topic. You might go by Gay Bowser these days but I knew you when you were still called Gay King Koopa. Not exactly unbiased, of course you’re playing this up.

while I get this argument I don't think they are on equal levels at all.

One is a country fighting against an ongoing invasion.

And the other one is the natural death of an ancient political figure that while greatly influential wasn't as important as it once was.

I've said elsewhere that it is also unlikely that a major Japanese business is going to allow themselves to be affected by this event. This is ultimately a choice they have to make; do they want to break away from the obligations that were made, which will cost them money, or do they move forward as planned? The world is also much more than such a figure passing away. The vast majority of Americans do not care (rightfully so, historically speaking!), nor do the Japanese. This is only really affecting the UK (and I feel sorry for the UK anti-monarchists having to deal with this unjustified attention).

Then there's the track record of the person bringing the baseless rumor into the world. I'm not buying it.

The Advance Wars Delay only happened because of the kind of game it is, not like Nintendo delayed all games in general. But the obvious reason they delayed Advance Wars is that its story begins with a country that's obviously modeled after Russia invading another country. Can't have that if that just happened in real life. Nintendo wouldn't have delayed any other game, they delayed Advance Wars because it's Advance Wars.

Now, if one of their games in the Direct has something about a dying Queen, then that would be an apt comparison. I highly doubt it though, and as such, your comparison is lacking.

Both Ubisoft Forward and Disney/Marvel Game Showcase haven´t been delayed yet.
Not to mention TGS itself is still on track as well.
As long as TGS doesn´t get delayed, I think a Direct is still very likely for next week.
It also doesn´t stop the Official Sonic the Hedgehog youtube channel to drop some marketing

Sure but those were already announced, this Direct wasn't.
Exactly. And the Marvel showcase in particular is part of a larger paid in-person fan convention that people had already started arriving for by the time the news broke. Disney not cancelling D23 on * checks notes * literally the day thousands of people were flying in to show up for it is not a particularly indicative example as to whether Nintendo will adjust the timing of an unannounced YouTube presentation or not, but people keep bringing it up as some sort of example Nintendo will follow. It doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Sure but those were already announced, this Direct wasn't.
Eh if it was a big enough deal to affect news at all they would've still been delayed. Or at least the Ubisoft one would've, it's too late for Disney

I don't think there's a significant enough difference between an unannounced presentation and an announced one in this case. Like yeah, it's a bit more of a PR hit to delay an announced presentation but I'd imagine you're still dealing with roughly the same amount of work otherwise with an unannounced presentation

If the Tokyo Gameshow is happening and there are deals in place with third parties revolving around that, then it might be that Nintendo's hands are tied and they'll have to press on. It'll be bad optics, especially for the UK market, but if the ink is on the dotted line they may not have a choice.

If these don't exist or the issues can be sorted out, I'd expect the Direct to be delayed behind closed doors. Even leaving aside issues of respect, the point is that holding big marketing events at this time are kinda useless. Directs aren't just for us, they're a time for Nintendo to reach out to the world, and if the world is pre-occupied commemorating the death of a 96 year old, then it's best to hang fire.

I don't think people realise that this is a huge deal. Like it or lump it Lizzie was one of the world's most influential and recignisable figures. The UK is basically shutting down for the next 10 days - no sports, no shows, nothing. At work we've been ordered to cease all social media and postpone external events. No company wants to be the one seen to the living embodiment of the 'Oh no...anyway' meme, and that includes notoriously controversy shy Nintendo here.

Last edited:
If the Tokyo Gameshow is happening and there are deals in place with third parties revolving around that, then it might be that Nintendo's hands are tied and they'll have to press on. It'll be bad optics, especially for the UK market, but if the ink is on the dotted line they may not have a choice.

If these don't exist or the issues can be sorted out, I'd expect the Direct to be delayed behind closed doors. Even leaving aside issues of respect, the point is that holding big marketing events at this time are kinda useless. Directs aren't just for us, they're a time for Nintendo to reach out to the world, and if the world is pre-occupied commemorating the death of a 96 year old, then it's best to hang fire.

I don't think people realise that this is a huge deal. Like it or lump it Lizzie was one of the world's most influential and recignisable figures. The UK is basically shutting down for the next 10 days - no sports, no shows, nothing. At work we've been ordered to cease all social media and postpone external events. No company wants to be the one seen to the living embodiment of the 'Oh no...anyway' meme, and that includes notoriously controversy shy Nintendo here.
If they have to market TP WW and Metroid Prime they have no choice

If they have to market TP WW and Metroid Prime they have no choice
Well if it's just first party games and they aren't releasing until November onwards, they can hang fire a couple more weeks. Heck they could even delay the launches of these games if necessary. It's only an issue for third parties who are operating on their own schedules and who see the Tokyo Game Show as crucial to their own plans. Even there I expect contingencies to be in place.

It'll be tight for sure, but Nintendo don't want the Daily Mail screeching 'Disrespectful company Nintendo announces new Zelda game DON'T THEY KNOW THE QUEEN IS DEAD!?!?' And believe me, they'll be looking for people to screech at.

It’s not about the young, gaming population caring about royals at all. It’s not about respect either, not really, that’s that the funeral is for. It’s that the media that help disseminate Nintendo’s marketing message to those young people in the UK, including some of the biggest news sites on the planet, are about to talk about nothing else for the next ten days, and they are not staffed by people that care about Nintendo Directs. Media and politics in the UK is literally going to be on hold for the next ten days, so pretty much everyone is going to be examining their media plans. Given that the direct is shared with Europe and timed with TGS though, I don’t think they’ll delay it, it’s more that the media situation here extends far beyond ‘directly’ to consumers, so I’d be surprised if any major company isn’t at least considering the timing of their main promotional activity here for the next few days.

Well if it's just first party games and they aren't releasing until November onwards, they can hang fire a couple more weeks. Heck they could even delay the launches of these games if necessary. It's only an issue for third parties who are operating on their own schedules and who see the Tokyo Game Show as crucial to their own plans. Even there I expect contingencies to be in place.

It'll be tight for sure, but Nintendo don't want the Daily Mail screeching 'Disrespectful company Nintendo announces new Zelda game DON'T THEY KNOW THE QUEEN IS DEAD!?!?' And believe me, they'll be looking for people to screech at.

Also this. Our most virulent press are also obsessed with the royal family and they are going to be looking for anyone they can scream at over it. UK-based companys are likely gonna keep their head down with any commercial activity at all so they don’t get our worst papers shrieking ‘traitors!’ At them or some shit like that. The Daily Mail would rather we still all lived in the 1950s, and the monarchy through Elizabeth’s long reign was their main link to ignoring any kind of progress.

Last edited:
I think had the Direct been scheduled for the day of the funeral then it would have a high chance of being cancelled. If TGS is still going ahead and all the other devs are still holding their streams (Capcom for example) I think Nintendo will continue with whatever plans they had behind the scenes. Like covid, have a brief message at the start of the Direct mourning the loss and then continue.

Personal opinion: An ancient figure died in royalty and riches, never really having to work in her life.

Moreover, royalty as a concept is a moral decay of humanity, the fact that people by "lineage" and worse "god given rights" are above all other people / peasants.

So I will not for the love of me shed a tear (without also being happy about it). And I wished the news would hopefully stfu about it and deal with actual problems / news.

Pragmatic analysis: Unfortunately the media buzz will be crazy. That's the stupid society we live in. So it's sadly the case that marketing will have diminishing returns and Nintendo might move their events.

I have a difficult time thinking that the death of an old woman (who, lets be realistic, could've died any day in the near future at that age) would lead to a delay of the Direct.

The impact on news/social media outside of the UK will probably be done by the end of the weekend. And if this is because of NoE, NoE is not "fully" located in the UK, large parts are located here in Germany.

This isn't some catastrophe like the earthquake some years ago or the war in Ukraine.

Having talked to people I know who are managing marketing/social for large multinational brands - the consensus seems to be pausing campaigns over the weekend and seeing how everything looks on Monday - at this point I'm inclined to say it will go ahead unless it clashes with the funeral

The majority of the people on the planet weren't alive the last time the monarch changed hands, so it's hard to understand just how much of a big deal is actually is. Remeber, They are also head of the commonwealth aswell , which comprises nearly a quarter of the countries in the world.

As for potential Nintendo Direct delays, some thoughts:
1) It's not going to delay the release dates of any of our Zelda or Metroid titles, just the announcement of the dates, so we'll still play it on the same day
2) At the moment, we know not much about BOTW2, but we do know the a) castle rises into the air. Given the symbolism of this and the monarch 'rising to heaven' yesterday and b) the princess falling to her 'death' down a pit (obviously we know zelda wont have died but it still wouldnt be appropriate ). i could 100 % understand why they might want to not show this kind of thing in the next 2 weeks. And that's before we know what else is in the trailer story line. For all we know
3) Nintendo are still a company with a senses of duty/respect. There's a great bond between the UK and Japan, so I understand if this was done.
4) Lets remember she was also a mother / grand mother / great grand mother. Yeah, a very rich one but still human none the less. And no matter what anyones personal thoughts on the monarchy, a very large number of people worldwide care very much about an event like this.

Having talked to people I know who are managing marketing/social for large multinational brands - the consensus seems to be pausing campaigns over the weekend and seeing how everything looks on Monday - at this point I'm inclined to say it will go ahead unless it clashes with the funeral
The funeral isn’t happening for another 10 days. It’ll be fine. The direct will proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom