• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour [Giant Bomb/Mike Minotti] Rumour: The Queen might have delayed September Nintendo Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.
The funeral isn’t happening for another 10 days. It’ll be fine. The direct will proceed.
It's still a big deal and different brands will make their own judgments about whether they want to go ahead with things - they haven't announced anything yet so they have a bit of freedom to wait if they feel like it is in their interest to do anything this week. I suspect if the direct is happening it will still happen yeah (from a Western perspective, not sure about Japan's outlook)

Such vile answers. Really glad that in my country-Greece- despite not having monarchy, our former King and Queen played such a pivotal role in the defeat of the communist coup, after WW2.
I'm not Greek, but I am pretty sure it was all US backing, not some king or queen. Probably also explains the horrible military juntas after.

As for being on topic: Sucks if they are delaying it for one persons death that has absolutely no effect on Nintendos bottomline, I can guarantee that people in the UK will still buy Switch games if the direct was today. Hope the rumours aren't true.

Well if it's just first party games and they aren't releasing until November onwards, they can hang fire a couple more weeks. Heck they could even delay the launches of these games if necessary. It's only an issue for third parties who are operating on their own schedules and who see the Tokyo Game Show as crucial to their own plans. Even there I expect contingencies to be in place.

It'll be tight for sure, but Nintendo don't want the Daily Mail screeching 'Disrespectful company Nintendo announces new Zelda game DON'T THEY KNOW THE QUEEN IS DEAD!?!?' And believe me, they'll be looking for people to screech at.

I understand Nintendo is Nintendo, but I don't think they should really care what a British paper for geezers says about them.

As you said though, Nintendo is Nintendo.

I'm not Greek, but I am pretty sure it was all US backing, not some king or queen. Probably also explains the horrible military juntas after.

As for being on topic: Sucks if they are delaying it for one persons death that has absolutely no effect on Nintendos bottomline, I can guarantee that people in the UK will still buy Switch games if the direct was today. Hope the rumours aren't true.
The victory was a multi factored issue and particularly Queen Freiderice was adamant in her decision to protect young children from being dragged by the Reds Fascists in military camps.

Such vile answers. Really glad that in my country-Greece- despite not having monarchy, our former King and Queen played such a pivotal role in the defeat of the communist coup, after WW2.
Cool cool.

Our monarchy hosted Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, and the Queen personally stepped in to defend Andrew when the media were first starting to report he was a nonce.

Hope the Direct continues.

It'll be tight for sure, but Nintendo don't want the Daily Mail screeching 'Disrespectful company Nintendo announces new Zelda game DON'T THEY KNOW THE QUEEN IS DEAD!?!?' And believe me, they'll be looking for people to screech at.
Even the Daily Mail will kneel if a new Ryza game is announced.

Such vile answers. Really glad that in my country-Greece- despite not having monarchy, our former King and Queen played such a pivotal role in the defeat of the communist coup.
As a half-Greek, it’s always been a disappointment that the majority of Greeks i’ve met are morons.

Can't believe Liz Truss poisoned the queen in order to delay a Nintendo Direct. Shocking.

Just had this thought

In a vacuum a Nintendo direct generally doesn't have big enough announcements to break past the gaming headlines and into the mainstream ones. So delaying one for the Queens death wouldn't really get more eyeballs on the content as 90% of the gaming market doesn't care.

If Nintendo is planning to announce the Switch Successor/Drake/etc, or start the big marketing push for the Mario Movie, then I can get delaying it until after the Queen's funeral stuff is over. Those are things Nintendo wants spreading well beyond the gamer sphere, and could be swallowed by Queen coverage.

The victory was a multi factored issue and particularly Queen Freiderice was adamant in her decision to protect young children from being dragged by the Reds Fascists in military camps.
At the risk of derailing the thread, im gonna make this my last reply on this issue.

No. I am pretty sure it was all Operation Gladio.

If I may say so, Some of the comments in this thread and sections of social media are downright vile and mindless, if not disrespectful. Whether you knew her personally or not, or agreed or disagreed with the idea of the institution of the Royal Family, HM Queen Elizabeth II was born an innocent child, like everybody else. She didn't decide what she was born into, and when she started her reign, she gave 70 good years of her life to that cause. She had a long life, and saw a great deal in the world - Personally, I feel that dedicating to something for what's effectively a lifetime, with personal sacrifices, to have an overwhelming sense of duty to it merits some degree of respect. But on a human level, she was also a Great Grandmother, Grandmother, Mother, Sister, and as of last year, a Widow to someone she loved for about 73 years - Imagine those you hold dearest in your life, your family, your friends, then one day, they're not here, and there's a void in your life which can't be filled. Or, as we saw last year, she sat in a cathedral, alone, in the midst of a pandemic - it's the so-called "small things". Nobody by your side to offer the affection you might need in those moments, but at the same time, the world's eyes on you, and the pressure to "put on a brave face". The heightened sense of loss of intimacy that would follow, the lack of private space to come to terms with grief. I think we can all relate to loss, and if you've been fortunate not to have experienced it yet, I hope you will at least understand the sadness of others, and develop a semblance of empathy. Yesterday, some kids learned that their Great Nana died on a week where they might have returned to school. Two grandsons learned that their Nana died days after the 25th anniversary of their Mother's death - On a human level, those are levels of trauma and grief I wouldn't wish on anybody. I experienced this with my father, aged 9, and let me tell you, 31 years later, I still grieve him because grief doesn't really go away. Last month, I lost a relative, who passed in his sleep. Sometimes death strikes unexpectedly, too. While it's true that all of our times will come one day, no matter how prepared one might be for it, it doesn't make loss easier, and the absence can sometimes become something some people struggle with. Grief has a way of tapping you on the shoulder from time to time and saying "I'm here". It becomes a travel companion in life's journey. That's something the youngest of that family will remember forever, and their elders will be reminded of. So, whether you liked her or not, that isn't the point of what's being said here, but it's clear that she meant a lot to many people - Nobody has to "perform grief", and if they don't feel sad, that's OK, too. But one can, at least, read the room, and see that, for many, they might take some time for (personal) reflection. My hope for her, is that she can rest well. So, Please, be mindful of those who were affected in some way, and take a moment to reflect on those who mean the most to you in your lives. I also hope that when you experience a loss, others will show you the same humanity. Tell people you love them. Tell them frequently. Show them through your actions, too, and cherish the memories you've built together, because when the time comes that you might grieve, they could offer you some comfort, strength and healing. Do the things you love, that you want to do, and hopefully find fulfilment in ways you won't get by waiting on rumour mills, then getting angry at what was never confirmed in the first place. When the time comes that you won't be here, I hope the same memories might help you to sleep in a better peace.

As for the rumoured Direct, it is just that, a rumour, based on the timing of previous years. It doesn't mean we'll get one this time around, and we're not entitled to Directs. But if there was one, and there is a delay, it would be perfectly understandable. You have backlogs. You have games you can play right now. Some of the games you own have replay value. See to your game libraries. It's not as if you'll be able to play anything announced in a Direct right now, anyway, unless it drops later that night on the eShop.

All the people celebrating the monarch's death are just as valid as those mourning it. That said if I have to pick a side, I'll pick the side of those who hated the monarch for disrupting their families for generations, over the side mourning her cause "slay queen".

It’ll probably only be delayed a week so I wouldn’t be too bothered about the Direct being a bit later.

Haha yeah. If even Nintendo UK is Business as usual, I wouldn't worry about the Direct.

At least, they won't postpone for reasons of not wanting to lose face etc. They might if they think this would steal too much of the Direct's thunder, so solely for business reasons. If I was the one making the shots on that though, my judgement would be that really, the overlap is minimal in the target audiences, & there's probably a lot they have to lose what with TGS coming up.

So if I was Furukawa, I'd be pushing on with this regardless.

If I may say so, Some of the comments in this thread and sections of social media are downright vile and mindless, if not disrespectful. Whether you knew her personally or not, or agreed or disagreed with the idea of the institution of the Royal Family, HM Queen Elizabeth II was born an innocent child, like everybody else. She didn't decide what she was born into, and when she started her reign, she gave 70 good years of her life to that cause. She had a long life, and saw a great deal in the world - Personally, I feel that dedicating to something for what's effectively a lifetime, with personal sacrifices, to have an overwhelming sense of duty to it merits some degree of respect.
I agree that people should respect this moment, by not making any dehumanizing comment. With that said, people die everyday. Heads of state die frequently too. So I don't see why her death should have anything to do with this direct or any non-UK company's marketing tbh. I respect that a lot of people in the UK are mourning, but the rest of the world isn't paying any attention to that, nor should they, as they have their own government officials.

personally sacrificing by living comfortably for almost a century off the back of millions of colonized people #grindset

If I may say so, Some of the comments in this thread and sections of social media are downright vile and mindless, if not disrespectful. Whether you knew her personally or not, or agreed or disagreed with the idea of the institution of the Royal Family, HM Queen Elizabeth II was born an innocent child, like everybody else. She didn't decide what she was born into, and when she started her reign, she gave 70 good years of her life to that cause. She had a long life, and saw a great deal in the world - Personally, I feel that dedicating to something for what's effectively a lifetime, with personal sacrifices, to have an overwhelming sense of duty to it merits some degree of respect. But on a human level, she was also a Great Grandmother, Grandmother, Mother, Sister, and as of last year, a Widow to someone she loved for about 73 years - Imagine those you hold dearest in your life, your family, your friends, then one day, they're not here, and there's a void in your life which can't be filled. Or, as we saw last year, she sat in a cathedral, alone, in the midst of a pandemic - it's the so-called "small things". Nobody by your side to offer the affection you might need in those moments, but at the same time, the world's eyes on you, and the pressure to "put on a brave face". The heightened sense of loss of intimacy that would follow, the lack of private space to come to terms with grief. I think we can all relate to loss, and if you've been fortunate not to have experienced it yet, I hope you will at least understand the sadness of others, and develop a semblance of empathy. Yesterday, some kids learned that their Great Nana died on a week where they might have returned to school. Two grandsons learned that their Nana died days after the 25th anniversary of their Mother's death - On a human level, those are levels of trauma and grief I wouldn't wish on anybody. I experienced this with my father, aged 9, and let me tell you, 31 years later, I still grieve him because grief doesn't really go away. Last month, I lost a relative, who passed in his sleep. Sometimes death strikes unexpectedly, too. While it's true that all of our times will come one day, no matter how prepared one might be for it, it doesn't make loss easier, and the absence can sometimes become something some people struggle with. Grief has a way of tapping you on the shoulder from time to time and saying "I'm here". It becomes a travel companion in life's journey. That's something the youngest of that family will remember forever, and their elders will be reminded of. So, whether you liked her or not, that isn't the point of what's being said here, but it's clear that she meant a lot to many people - Nobody has to "perform grief", and if they don't feel sad, that's OK, too. But one can, at least, read the room, and see that, for many, they might take some time for (personal) reflection. My hope for her, is that she can rest well. So, Please, be mindful of those who were affected in some way, and take a moment to reflect on those who mean the most to you in your lives. I also hope that when you experience a loss, others will show you the same humanity. Tell people you love them. Tell them frequently. Show them through your actions, too, and cherish the memories you've built together, because when the time comes that you might grieve, they could offer you some comfort, strength and healing. Do the things you love, that you want to do, and hopefully find fulfilment in ways you won't get by waiting on rumour mills, then getting angry at what was never confirmed in the first place. When the time comes that you won't be here, I hope the same memories might help you to sleep in a better peace.

As for the rumoured Direct, it is just that, a rumour, based on the timing of previous years. It doesn't mean we'll get one this time around, and we're not entitled to Directs. But if there was one, and there is a delay, it would be perfectly understandable. You have backlogs. You have games you can play right now. Some of the games you own have replay value. See to your game libraries. It's not as if you'll be able to play anything announced in a Direct right now, anyway, unless it drops later that night on the eShop.

Not to completely derail... but...

Maybe someone born into a family that lived lavishly off of the fruits of pillaging other countries and disrupting lives for generations to come, after becoming head of the said family had a responsibility to make "right" the extensive damage her family did to the world instead of continuing to live lavishly.

Maybe all the monarchy worshipers need to "read the room" and look around at a large number of minorities and countries today whose lives would be completely different had the British (and by extension Americans) not interacted with their nations or disrupted their ancestors' lives.

A woman dying in her late 90s, living more secure and wealthy than the families impacted by the monarchy she benefited from isn't as sad and mournful as some might try to spin this into.

TL;DR:

No. lol.

The Direct shouldn't be delayed because of this nonsense.

Of course they are going to delay it. It is all hands on deck to prepare the King’s Golden Switch. Just don’t tell Charles what they did to FIFA.

This is the Queen we are talking about, what sacrifice has she made that Public Servants that voluntarily works in service of a nation haven't done already? She did her duty and that's it.

besides, I wouldn't be too remorseful over a family and institution that are willing to overlook Sex Trafficking just to protect their image.

The queen was innocently born into a legacy of bloody colonialism that she unwittingly benefited from and maintained, guiltlessly choosing to never step down and instead bravely leaching off of her subjects and the rest of the world. She courageously married her cousin and gracefully gave birth to and protected a nonce. When she elegantly cacked it, interrupting an episode of Bargain Hunt and canceling the fitbaw, her subjects were wondering if they would survive the winter as they faced a cost of living crisis with paltry solutions from the elite.

RIP Liz. You were someone's granny.

My take from all of this is that it's fascinating what propaganda does to people. It can get millions to idolize a figure that, not only has never done anything for their benefit, but also actively took part in the distress of many generations of families and individuals in a lot of forms, all because of some ancient stablished tradition that dates back to when we burned women in public spectacles because the church felt like it.

Truly fascinating.

I stand corrected about Operation Gladio. But my earlier assessment is still correct. US backing was it.
In the same way that USSR, Yugoslavia,Albania etc backed the red fascists coup/revolution.. Anyways, I won’t derail the thread no more. At least you recognized your earlier assessments.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

vile and mindless, if not disrespectful
sorry bud but I think “vile and mindless” describes a lot more of what the monarchy has ever done than those who are gleefully disrespecting the figurehead who killed their families, hollowed their homes, and maintained and forwarded the kind of colonial bullshit that buries mountains of children on a “rough day” and is at least pervasively destructive on a good day

not to mention the twisted infucking celebrity bullshit weaponized against countless royal peers and bystanders — which I give way less of a shit about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom