• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

As others have mentioned with Mario Kart, asset streaming doesn't really make sense for the game with the need to support split screen multiplayer, so if they did want to do something like this they'd probably go the Titanfall 2 route of just keeping both versions of the track in memory at the same time.
Yeah, and it's worth to remember that MK8 only had 1GB of RAM on the Wii U, while the next one will have 10~11GB. They should be able to hold a few different versions of a track and still have the headroom to make them prettier, bigger and/or more detailed, if that's the direction they want to go.

Last edited:
The whole idea was not to rely on RAM, so that the game may have more RAM to store immediate data and achieve an even higher level of fidelity.

The problem with real-time asset streaming from the SSD is that games need to be designed around it with a much higher level of fidelity than what we're seeing right now. Remember that UE5 demo running on the PS5? I don't remember who it was, but someone made a comment like "good luck making all the assets to make a game look that good" and he was right. Games already take way too long to make, and making new assets from scratch to look that good will take an ungodly amount of time, which just isn't happening this generation. Better tools and higher quality ready-made assets will need to become commonplace first. UE5 games are already struggling to maintain 1080p 60fps on current hardware as it is, devs need to worry about that first.
Those assets already exist and have been widely used in all UE5 projects to a major degree, ever heard of Quixel Megascans? Not the 100% of them were handcrafted by the studio, which even non-Unreal titles are known to be using them. Regarding better tools... 3Lateral face scans paired with the Metahumans creator have been gaining traction as of lately, and it's been HB2's greatest tool to achieve its level of fidelity. Even regarding performance, the just released 5.4 update of the engine improved CPU performance by a minimum of 70%(!)... Efforts are being made to make things cheaper/viable, you just need to look them up.

Last edited:
Street Pass and in general the best and most loved features of past systems are gonna be needed if they wanna top the OG Switch and break the 200m curse.

Tall order but it's not impossible.

Last weekend I was chilling with a bunch of people, and playing 3DS games, and it made me realize I want Streetpass back on Switch II. Its a small feature, but still gives us a type of gameplay by connecting to other systems and share the games we play.

I do miss Streetpass and the little dopamine hit you get when the green light is on ; I was just thinking about StreetPass and Switch 2 too recently as well and feasibility and I came to the conclusion that it may not come back, at least not in the format you expect it. Switch is a device i feel people take with them for a purpose, going to a place on a trip/ a friend's not something you could carry in your satchel while walking the park with no intention of using it.
The form factor discourages people from truly taking it around for short trips unlike the 3DS, and constantly having the wireless on looking for connecitons eats up battery life. For these reasons I think they won't implement it

I considered maybe a poke-walker like device, but thought it's not a great thing as you get a subset of users to use it, probably no more than 10%.

I came to the conclusion that there's no easy solution for it, until Nintendo comes out with a true portable again, perhaps in the same ecosystem

Yeah, and it's worth to remember that MK8 only had 1GB of RAM on the Wii U, while the next one will have 10~11GB. They should be able to hold a few different versions of a track and still have the headroom to make them prettier, bigger and/or more detailed, if that's the direction they want to go.

I could see a scenario where the big "gimmick" for MK9 is you can drive to different tracks on the fly while in the middle of a race with the use of portals or something. As though these portals will take you to areas where you'll gain an advantage, and others where you could fall behind.

So not just different versions of the same track, but a whole different track entirely, as if you're in a different dimension. Dimensional Travel in a Mario Kart game. Sounds just weird, and quirky enough to be something Nintendo would do.

You thought all that, while in the shitter, hey happens to me once.

It doesn't happen to me once, twice, or thrice. These thoughts happen all the time.

41f561d7d8b88cada03baf0e6ca1acf0.jpg

You don't need fast storage to do stuff like this. Titanfall 2 back on PS4/XBO had a level where you could instantly switch back and forth between two different versions of the location (past and future versions, IIRC), and it did it by just keeping both versions of the level in RAM at the same time. Zero loading times because there's nothing to load.

As others have mentioned with Mario Kart, asset streaming doesn't really make sense for the game with the need to support split screen multiplayer, so if they did want to do something like this they'd probably go the Titanfall 2 route of just keeping both versions of the track in memory at the same time.
As you said, you dont strictly need fast storage. But it sure helps. I remember reading about what a nightmare that level was for the programmers.

I’ve been catching up on some podcasts I fell behind on, and I love when they discuss info from this thread. (Though, I do wish they’d do a better job shouting the boards out more clearly.) It makes me feel like I was at a preview screening for the info and everyone else is just now getting to see it in wide release.

Ngl that sounds like a Pokemon Go to the polls type joke
So, what you’re saying is it’s really awesome and something I say multiple times per week, but was criminally under appreciated when it was first said (with people still struggling to catch up to its brilliance to this day?)

If so, I agree.

When I was on the toilet this morning having my usual poop thoughts
I love poop thoughts!

Last edited:
As you said, you dont strictly need fast storage. But it sure helps. I remember reading about what a nightmare that level was for the programmers.

Since that particular level in TF2 did not require any fancy fast loading from storage, and instead had things in Ram, is this bound by a specific loading/storage technique the devs came up with, or was it just the levels were small enough in size they could be dumped into the ram?

I guess I'm also curious how this level of optimization was pulled off, and if there's a write-up how it was done.

I suppose at the minimum, for the current crop of consoles, including Switch 2 coming up, the use of their own decompression engine hardware would make that sort of thing easier for developers, no? I wonder if for Titanfall 2, they ran into issues with the CPU since as we know the Jag cores were not the greatest, and if that contributed to the nightmare you mentioned.

I'm shocked people didn't realize ascended was a loading screen. Yall didn't try to use ascend everywhere, huh
It's not entirely a load screen. You'll often run into it even when moving between areas of the same room which are already in memory.

Since that particular level in TF2 did not require any fancy fast loading from storage, and instead had things in Ram, is this bound by a specific loading/storage technique the devs came up with, or was it just the levels were small enough in size they could be dumped into the ram?

I guess I'm also curious how this level of optimization was pulled off, and if there's a write-up how it was done.

I suppose at the minimum, for the current crop of consoles, including Switch 2 coming up, the use of their own decompression engine hardware would make that sort of thing easier for developers, no? I wonder if for Titanfall 2, they ran into issues with the CPU since as we know the Jag cores were not the greatest, and if that contributed to the nightmare you mentioned.
I've not played Titanfall 2, but given that it is a Source Engine game, I imagine they're doing something like storing the 2 level variations in different parts of the same map and then teleporting the player between those two different parts, rather than actually switching between 2 different maps stored in memory. I'm not sure how else they would have done it, though that game does feature some heavy engine modifications so maybe they came up with a whole new system for loading 2 maps at once.

The ascend loading happens even when going through thin surfaces sometimes, due to collision calculation.

Ascent.gif

Other times it's instant like in the first example here.
giphy.gif

I think it makes sense to have the screen when going through thick surfaces like mountains, ideally it disappears when the distance to travel is shorter.

I would hope that a faster CPU can help.

The final clock is over 50% higher than what Nintendo was trying to achieve, just a few months before launch.
This is a fun post, but I just wanted to point out that the final 460.8 MHz clock is precisely 50% higher than the lowest 307.2 MHz clock. Unless there was an even lower one I'm not aware of Nintendo was targeting that they scrapped altogether?

The ascend loading happens even when going through thin surfaces sometimes, due to collision calculation.

Ascent.gif

giphy.gif

I think it makes sense to have the screen when going through thick surfaces like mountains, ideally it disappears when the distance to travel is shorter.

I believe all that determines if it's instant is whether or not the camera can maintain a minimum distance from the geometry as you ascend.

I believe all that determines if it's instant is whether or not the camera can maintain a minimum distance from the geometry as you ascend.
Makes sense - in the example where there was a swimming animation (but not a place you would think loading would occur), it looks like camera would have collided with the platform.

Whereas in other example where there's no swimming animation, no camera collision with any object would have occurred.

I'm shocked people didn't realize ascended was a loading screen. Yall didn't try to use ascend everywhere, huh
It's not that, it just seemed like there was a huge variance in how long it'd take in different places, like sometimes ascending through a 1cm thick platform would take longer than a mountain, I just assumed it was some weird geometry thing with the engine. I guess @Serif thought the same lol. I guess it's all just loading the world regardless, my mind just pointed me to a different direction haha

I also don't like to think about the game that much ^_^

Last edited:
Having just tested it, the screen does appear but duration is still 'instant' if there is no object collision detected above but the camera cannot go through the surface. I'm fine with the loading screen, just prefer a faster ascend if the surface is thin enough.

It does also show up the higher up the surface is no matter how far away the camera can get and with no potential collision, so it also seems like a height thing.

Last edited:
This is a fun post, but I just wanted to point out that the final 460.8 MHz clock is precisely 50% higher than the lowest 307.2 MHz clock. Unless there was an even lower one I'm not aware of Nintendo was targeting that they scrapped altogether?
How many games used the 460mhz mode ? Botw and MK11 comes to mind.

I think most games used the 384mhz profile which is still an uplift over the original portable clocks.

Those assets already exist and have been widely used in all UE5 projects to a major degree, ever heard of Quixel Megascans? Not the 100% of them were handcrafted by the studio, which even non-Unreal titles are known to be using them. Regarding better tools... 3Lateral face scans paired with the Metahumans creator have been gaining traction as of lately, and it's been HB2's greatest tool to achieve its level of fidelity. Even regarding performance, the just released 5.4 update of the engine improved CPU performance by a minimum of 70%(!)... Efforts are being made to make things cheaper/viable, you just need to look them up.
Actually yes, I do know about them. But I still think the asset quality I've seen in all of the games that used photogrammetry thus far don't come close to what I saw in that demo. The amount of attention to detail in just one scene was far too much for a large-scale game by today's standards. Hellblade 2 gets close, especially with the character models and their animations, but the game is extraordinarily limited in scope. We're still years away from achieving Hellblade 2 level graphics in an open-world game, for example.

If something like Hellblade 2 took this long to make, imagine how long a Witcher or Red Dead Redemption or -insert any open-world game- game with that level of fidelity could take. I've been following UE5's developments, and I've seen some of the procedural asset generation tech they've been working on. The issue is games making use of that tech aren't coming out for years, which brings me back to my original point - it isn't happening this generation. We need more tools to shorten game development times.

I've just noticed a few things in Paper Mario TTYD that make me think even more that it's going to have a next gen upgrade of some sort.
Wasn't sure to post here or in the actual game's thread, hope it's fine.

- the game starts with a big "Nintendo" logo on a red background; which other Switch games do this? I can't remember a single one

- the emphasis on reflections looks great but could also be some way to showcase - to some degree - the RT capabilities of the next gen with more detailed, precise and sharp reflections while the game would run in higher res and at a higher framerate

- the lack of hammer swing effect. This one may be convoluted a bit, but I see no reason they wouldn't have that same effect from Origami King (not sure if it's there in Sticker Star/Color Splash) when you hit with your hammer, as it makes it look way better at 30fps even though it's currently faithful to the original.
Like, they made it so you can hit your hammer at any angle just like in Origami King, but didn't add that swing effect?
My first thought was that they didn't add it because it wouldn't be "required" at 60fps, on next gen.

- let's not forget that good old button theory that we all love, obviously :)

Last edited:
- the game starts with a big "Nintendo" logo on a red background; which other Switch games do this? I can't remember a single one
Any chance you can screenshot and share, or at least find one on web if someone else has already took it? I'd love to see what this is referring to (visually see it)

341845076_543176411300816_4411528477235321747_n.png

Edit: Do you mean like this?

Actually yes, I do know about them. But I still think the asset quality I've seen in all of the games that used photogrammetry thus far don't come close to what I saw in that demo. The amount of attention to detail in just one scene was far too much for a large-scale game by today's standards. Hellblade 2 gets close, especially with the character models and their animations, but the game is extraordinarily limited in scope. We're still years away from achieving Hellblade 2 level graphics in an open-world game, for example.

If something like Hellblade 2 took this long to make, imagine how long a Witcher or Red Dead Redemption or -insert any open-world game- game with that level of fidelity could take. I've been following UE5's developments, and I've seen some of the procedural asset generation tech they've been working on. The issue is games that make use of that tech aren't coming out for years, which brings me back to my original point - it isn't happening this generation.
What demo? Valley of the Ancients, Matrix...? No, Hellblade 2 is objectively superior to the both of them in terms of geometry and animation-wise and logically so, Hellblade 2 was made under 5.3 which is miles better optimized in comparison. The limits in its scope aren't really that much of a dealbreaker when you remember Ninja Theory is an 80 employees studio... It's not engine limitations, they just didn't have the manpower or the intention to make anything bigger in scope (since this was a sequel to Hellblade, ya' know). HB2 was presumably started in early 2020 since NT publicly admitted they didn't have anything done by the time of the original 2019 trailer, so you can assume four years.

...And no, I don't think we'll have to wait until next gen at all. 1943: Ryse of Hydra is already using 5.4 which even has experimental support for Nanite skeletal meshes, a 2025 game. I'd say before claiming all those things you should look that up first.

Any chance you can screenshot and share, or at least find one on web if someone else has already took it? I'd love to see what this is referring to (visually see it)

341845076_543176411300816_4411528477235321747_n.png

Edit: Do you mean like this?
Yup that’s the one, strangely it’s the only game that I know of, that’s start with the Nintendo Logo.

Yikes lol!! so yeah, there's no upside and we're going to get a standard and generic LCD screen.

Figures since this is where Nintendo is cheapening out which I'm cool with if it means the price is $300-400. Hopefully they pick the best of the worst instead of just the worst haha
I mean, I think we can update the LCD beyond the OG screen in more ways than just resolution. I am fairly certain we get HDR, and if some kind of variable refresh rate solution comes on top if that, it'll be a nice upgrade.

The issue with cheap LCDs is mostly color balance. I got lucky with my V1 Switch, but plenty of people got screens that were unacceptably green. :sick:

I would like to see Nintendo's take on the R&C whizzbang fast switching game design tbh
Oh, me too! What I was trying to say was that games which benefit from fast storage aren't just the ones that use it flashily. Zelda, Pokemon, 3D Mario, Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, Sonic - all open world, or open area games that can be larger in scope and cheaper to make if storage is fast.

I assume that Nintendo will play with fast storage speeds like that, because they'll have it and they might as well play with it. And I assume they went with UFS 3.1 because UFS 4.0 was excessive, and UFS 2.2 was probably fine, but also rapidly dying off in the marketplace. If Nintendo had been scraping for watts or pennies, maybe they go with 2.2, but if they're not, might as well give devs the extra power, since it's a cheap win.

How many games used the 460mhz mode ? Botw and MK11 comes to mind.

I think most games used the 384mhz profile which is still an uplift over the original portable clocks.

The majority of (non-port) EPD games do; off the top of my head, MK8D, Splatoon 2/3, Odyssey, and TotK do. It's rare from third parties, but it's a common clock for Nintendo games.

If you want to know about any particular game, I can find out should I happen to own it.

The whole idea was not to rely on RAM, so that the game may have more RAM to store immediate data and achieve an even higher level of fidelity.

The problem with real-time asset streaming from the SSD is that games need to be designed around it with a much higher level of fidelity than what we're seeing right now. Remember that UE5 demo running on the PS5? I don't remember who it was, but someone made a comment like "good luck making all the assets to make a game look that good" and he was right. Games already take way too long to make, and making new assets from scratch to look that good will take an ungodly amount of time, which just isn't happening this generation. Better tools and higher quality ready-made assets will need to become commonplace first. UE5 games are already struggling to maintain 1080p 60fps on current hardware as it is, devs need to worry about that first.

I wasn't saying that fast asset streaming in general isn't useful, just that it isn't necessary for that particular use-case. In fact, even the PS5 can't do that kind of "instant" switching purely via SSD performance, as it could take around 2 seconds to load a completely separate set of assets into RAM even at 5.5GB/s. Hence why Ratchet and Clank masks this via the portal animation sequence, which is just a loading screen like the ToTK ascend animation, or the old Metroid Prime door animations. A fast loading screen, but still a loading screen.

I haven't played Ratchet and Clank, but I recall from a DF video that there's one area which does have quick switching without going through a portal animation, but I strongly suspect that they're doing the same thing that Titanfall 2 did in keeping both sets of assets in memory at the same time.

As @ZachyCatGames points out, early SDKs had a crazy low clock speed, in the 200s. But to @LiC's point, that doesn't mean Nintendo ever thought they'd ship with something actually that low, and it was just a place holder.

I wasn't saying that fast asset streaming in general isn't useful, just that it isn't necessary for that particular use-case. In fact, even the PS5 can't do that kind of "instant" switching purely via SSD performance, as it could take around 2 seconds to load a completely separate set of assets into RAM even at 5.5GB/s. Hence why Ratchet and Clank masks this via the portal animation sequence, which is just a loading screen like the ToTK ascend animation, or the old Metroid Prime door animations. A fast loading screen, but still a loading screen.

I haven't played Ratchet and Clank, but I recall from a DF video that there's one area which does have quick switching without going through a portal animation, but I strongly suspect that they're doing the same thing that Titanfall 2 did in keeping both sets of assets in memory at the same time.

From what I remember the effective speed can actually be doubled due to decompression - Mark Cerny said the idea was to make the speed sufficient to completely switch environments in the time it takes the player to turn the camera around. I wonder if the portal loading animation stuff is more just due to that being Insomniac's first time working with this sort of tech and design.

From what I remember the effective speed can actually be doubled due to decompression - Mark Cerny said the idea was to make the speed sufficient to completely switch environments in the time it takes the player to turn the camera around. I wonder if the portal loading animation stuff is more just due to that being Insomniac's first time working with this sort of tech and design.
Especially since there were portals in the subsequent Spiderman 2 and they were fully instantaneous.

They should've licensed Dolby Digital just for this game if they were really committed
And a prompt to enable progressive scan, which if left disabled will start up the game in 900i.

The majority of (non-port) EPD games do; off the top of my head, MK8D, Splatoon 2/3, Odyssey, and TotK do. It's rare from third parties, but it's a common clock for Nintendo games.

If you want to know about any particular game, I can find out should I happen to own it.
I'm interested in how many 3rd party & non EPD games are using the 460mhz profile

Here's my list (just random games in my library)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2/3
Octopath Traveller 1/2
Fortnite/Warframe
Civilization VI
Borderlands 3 or Colleciton
Bioshock Collection
Cities Skylines

Ascent.gif

giphy.gif

The only issue with that logic is if you use Ascend in Shrines, the "loading screen" typically does not occur (only saw maybe a handful of times occur in my entire playthrough), which tells me there's nothing to load as the Shrine map is fully loaded in memory.

As @ZachyCatGames points out, early SDKs had a crazy low clock speed, in the 200s. But to @LiC's point, that doesn't mean Nintendo ever thought they'd ship with something actually that low, and it was just a place holder.
I imagine the reason why they started out with those low clocks was because they were coming off of Project INDY, which was supposedly going to have the power of half a Wii U (on the GPU side at least). Just going by simply numbers, Wii U's GPU had 160 shader cores and ran at 550 Mhz, pushing around 176 GFlops. However they would have sliced it (cores or freq), Project INDY was looking to be around 88 GFlops. Using Tegra X1 with 256 shader cores, that would indicate a clock frequency of 171.8 Mhz. Maybe a reason for pushing higher wasn't simply a demand for more power, but also because this may fall well below Tegra X1's peak efficiency clock, even when in the 200s? If they were using LPDDR4 from the start of the "switch" to the TX1, then that would have made for some heavily underutilized RAM bandwidth.

And a prompt to enable progressive scan, which if left disabled will start up the game in 900i.
Be honest though, no on who played on console ever saw that prompt lol (though I did end up getting Wii component cables eventually)

@Dekuman I can test Fortnite, but don't own the rest of the third parties (I really am the stereotypical Nintendo owner lol). I remember offhand that Xenoblade 2 uses 384 MHz and I presume Xenoblade 3 is the same, but I'll double check that one tonight.

Is the WiFi chip integrated into the SoC?

If so, do we have any idea what version are we getting? WiFi 6 should be the minimum these days. I'm not expecting WiFi 7, but 6E would be nice.

Fair point on the decompression. For Ratchet and Clank, even if they could have sped up the loading, I don't think it would have mattered that much. They got the effect they were looking for, and saving half a second on the animation wouldn't have really made much of a difference.

Be honest though, no on who played on console ever saw that prompt lol (though I did end up getting Wii component cables eventually)

@Dekuman I can test Fortnite, but don't own the rest of the third parties (I really am the stereotypical Nintendo owner lol). I remember offhand that Xenoblade 2 uses 384 MHz and I presume Xenoblade 3 is the same, but I'll double check that one tonight.
Yes, both Xenoblade 2 and 3 run at 384 Mhz in portable mode. I also checked Xenoblade DE, and both it and Future Connected run the GPU at 307.2 Mhz

Yes, both Xenoblade 2 and 3 run at 384 Mhz in portable mode. I also checked Xenoblade DE, and both it and Future Connected run the GPU at 307.2 Mhz
I thought that was true of DE but couldn't remember well enough to comment on it (and Dekuman didn't ask, so I didn't feel a need to bring it up when I was unsure).

Very interesting considering they are considered graphical games.
Yeah, and while DE generally runs better than 2 in handheld mode, it still does drop in resolution quite a bit. I'm surprised they went for the 307.2 MHz option. IIRC 460.8 MHz requires permission from Nintendo to use, which is why it's not as common as soon as you leave EPD-developed games.

I wonder if Sony corporate screwed over Cernys vision a bit? An engine that does that, would possibly not have been running well on many PCs?

Or it was never realistic in the first place.

I wonder if Sony corporate screwed over Cernys vision a bit? An engine that does that, would possibly not have been running well on many PCs?

Or it was never realistic in the first place.

I'd say "never realistic in the first place". I'd expect game engines to move more heavily towards aggressive asset streaming now they have much faster storage to read from, but I don't think completely reloading assets as a player turns the camera around is particularly realistic. It would require developers to lock in the speed players can turn extremely early in the development process, and likely cause headaches for the design team down the line when they think to themselves "well, this game would be a lot more fun if we allow players to turn more quickly" and the engine just doesn't allow it.

What kind of bottleneck do you guys think that software on the Switch 2 will maybe run into, GPU-wise?

Is it gonna memory bandwidth, pixel fillrate (maybe with 16 ROPs which is the same as TX1, don't know if that's enough especially at 4K60 with lots of effects even with DLSS), texel fillrate, triangle/geometry throughout,... Or shading power will likely choke you well before you hit those aforementioned limits?

Looks like you don't have to use Tensor Cores aka an NPU to get Recall working on Windows 11, despite what Microsoft has already said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/software/ai...been-cracked-to-work-without-a-fancy-new-npu/

Speaking of Tensor cores though, I could almost see it being used for games that have more sophisticated AI in the game itself. So take for example Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system. Could that kind of AI system be entirely run on an NPU without requiring the use of the CPU, or is it more nuanced than that?

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom