• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I'm more interested in 3rd party than first party. I really want to see how far they can push this thing in its early life.

I also have full confidence Nintendo will put out heaters that I'm buying by default so it's less exciting to me lol.
There‘s a certain thrill not knowing if the game‘ll be a buggy mess, a masterpiece or both, right?

I'm more interested in 3rd party than first party. I really want to see how far they can push this thing in its early life.

I also have full confidence Nintendo will put out heaters that I'm buying by default so it's less exciting to me lol.
I'm excited for both sides. I'm sure Mario Kart will have a different and more beautiful look in comparison of MK8D, not to speak of the character roster.😛

But yeah, 3rd Party would be also very interesting, as I wonder if GTA VI would be up for it. Elden Ring would also be cool, although its not my cup of tea.😅

Did any third party actually push the Switch to it's max? Legit question. I can really only think of Nintendo game pushing the system.

Buggy masterpiece mess has way more charm than a regular masterpiece tbh

Playing Dragons Dogma 2 yesterday, big fight against an Ogre (huge assholes) and suddenly something bugged out and my two hired pawns were gone, just me and my main pawn left.

I got mad, but it was fun.

Especially because my main pawn then complained some minutes after that, still fighting that big asshole, that we should've brought more pawns with us on this quest.

Did any third party actually push the Switch to it's max? Legit question. I can really only think of Nintendo game pushing the system.

Playing Dragons Dogma 2 yesterday, big fight against an Ogre (huge assholes) and suddenly something bugged out and my two hired pawns were gone, just me and my main pawn left.

Especially because my main pawn then complained some minutes after that, still fighting that big asshole, that we should've brought more pawns with us on this quest.
Monster Hunter Rise and Shin Megami Tensei 5 pushed Switch very hard.

A lot of them? Just on top of my mind: DQ XI, SMT V, Witcher 3, Crysys Remastered, Nier Automata, Monster Hunter Rise, Alien Isolation, Doom and Doom Eternal, Warframe, Bright Memory Infinite, Sonic Frontiers, The War of Genesis, etc.

A lot of them? Just on top of my mind: DQ XI, SMT V, Witcher 3, Crysys Remastered, Nier Automata, Monster Hunter Rise, Alien Isolation, Doom and Doom Eternal, Warframe, Bright Memory Infinite, Sonic Frontiers, The War of Genesis, etc.

I feel like quite a few of those aren't actually "pushing the system" but rather "shoddy / lacking optimization", especially when there's similar examples listed, SMTV <-> Witcher 3 for example.

I feel like quite a few of those aren't actually "pushing the system" but rather "shoddy / lacking optimization", especially when there's similar examples listed, SMTV <-> Witcher 3 for example.
Huh? None of the examples are lacking optimization. Switch is just a weak machine. The fact these are running in itself is a miracle.

SMT V, for example, is one of the most advanced Switch games. Employs full usage of modern rendering tech: Baked GI, Self-Emissive Lighting that bounces over the environment, 20K+ polygon per demon, etc. All of that over huge fully explorable areas with lots of NPC spawned.

You can say there's some optimizations to be done with an upgrade to newer Unreal versions (Which weren't available when the game started) and usage of a Temporal Upsampling solution. But as it is currently, it's one of Switch greatest triumphs. Just because it doesn't run locked at 30 doesn't mean it isn't optimized.

Huh? None of the examples are lacking optimization. Switch is just a weak machine. The fact these are running in itself is a miracle.

SMT V, for example, is one of the most advanced Switch games. Employs full usage of modern rendering tech: Baked GI, Self-Emissive Lighting that bounces over the environment, 20K+ polygon per demon, etc. All of that over huge fully explorable areas with lots of NPC spawned.

You can say there's some optimizations to be done with an upgrade to newer Unreal versions (Which weren't available when the game started) and usage of a Temporal Upsampling solution. But as it is currently, it's one of Switch greatest triumphs. Just because it doesn't run locked at 30 doesn't mean it isn't optimized.

Sounds like "future proofing" and "target system overshooting" to me. ;]

I'm not saying that flawless performance is something a "pushing the system game" needs, even TotK has stutters in Ultrahand mode, but it sure means that the first thing tech-focused people say about your game shouldn't be "looks bad / performance and/or resolution not good". ^^

Though i do have to give you the point for Rise and Sunbreak. Look good, solid performance, and definitely feel like it's pushing the target system.

Sounds like "future proofing" and "target system overshooting" to me. ;]

I'm not saying that flawless performance is something a "pushing the system game" needs, even TotK has stutters in Ultrahand mode, but it sure means that the first thing tech-focused people say about your game shouldn't be "looks bad / performance and/or resolution not good". ^^

Though i do have to give you the point for Rise and Sunbreak. Look good, solid performance, and definitely feel like it's pushing the target system.
Well, tbf, if we say pushing the systems as flawless FPS and high resolution, then it's basically only Nintendo and the smaller 3P games hahaha. But I do understand the point of view.

I've talked down the TV only model in the past, but there would be real savings in getting rid of the screen and the dock. You can imagine Nintendo seeing a stack of motherboards in a lot somewhere beside the little-sold charging grip, and realizing that are little more than a plastic shell away from a new product.
I've also talked trash about a TV only model in the past, but a cheaper reduced spec model is absolutely in Nintendo's wheelhouse to goose end of life sales. New-Style NES* top loader, New-Style SNES*, GBA Micro, and Wii Mini were all solid products.

If the motherboards are for the new OLED model maybe enable 4K scaling on the Switch side if it's faster than the average TV's upscale and you have an enthusiast marketing point.

* Those models were called "New-Style", wow Nintendo has been at that for some time.

(just a rave from me re: SMTV) I remember when SMT V was announced January 2017 (during that big Switch presentation), then went MIA for years, before finally being released in 2021. I had completely forgotten all about SMTV as those years passed by.

SMTV is in top 5 JRPGs for me. I liked it even more than P5R (another Atlus game), mainly because SMTV is much more combat-focused whereas P5R is much more story-focused.

Third parties won't push Switch 2 to any limits, because they will just port mostly PS4 games to Switch 2, it would be different if third parties made games designed for and aimed towards Switch 2, that never happens with Nintendo systems. Everything is made for PS/Xbox/PC. Wouldn't be suprised if many third parties don't even bother to use Switch 2 features like DLSS because the priority will be lazy ports.

now you're just getting into a semantical argument

Yes, i do try to stay on topic! ;D

(just a rave from me re: SMTV) I remember when SMT V was announced January 2017 (during that big Switch presentation), then went MIA for years, before finally being released in 2021. I had completely forgotten all about SMTV as those years passed by.

SMTV is in top 5 JRPGs for me. I liked it even more than P5R (another Atlus game), mainly because SMTV is much more combat-focused whereas P5R is much more story-focused.

Honestly, i'd argue at the 2017 presentation, the game that ended up as SMT V was just in prototyping stages at that point.

I want to focus on this for a minute, because SMTV in handheld is perhaps the ugliest game I've played on Switch. That game looks absolutely terrible, and I remain continually surprised that people describe it positively from a visual perspective.

Although the performance of switch2 is roughly the same as that of the ps4, but architecture differences mean that moving from ps4 to switch2 isn’t easy,so I think some manufacturers will take advantage of switch2's unique features. adding dlss to a game is easy on pc, so we can assume the same is true on switch2

Although the performance of switch2 is roughly the same as that of the ps4, but architecture differences mean that moving from ps4 to switch2 isn’t easy,so I think some manufacturers will take advantage of switch2's unique features. adding dlss to a game is easy on pc, so we can assume the same is true on switch2
it's most likely going to be above the PS4. far better cpu and newer architecture means you can compare flops 1:1

and yes, adding dlss is easy for the most part

it's most likely going to be above the PS4. far better cpu and newer architecture means you can compare flops 1:1

and yes, adding dlss is easy for the most part
I mean, it takes some work.Because of the far better cpu and newer architecture, I actually think some games will run better on switch2 than on ps4(on handheld mode)

I am so excited I think the Switch 2 being about as powerful or more than a ps4 with Nintendo games like Mario the graphics are going to hit their peak. Games like Mario Odyssey and Pikmin 4 already look amazing on switch but with the new hardware boost the outlines of 3d models will look a bit more hd (idk if you notice that thing on switch on big tvs where the outlines of like smash charectors are kinda low rez and pixelated) Like legit that tiny lil miniscule graphical issue being fixed in the next switch and I legit cant even comprehend how Nintendo games can look any better.

That didn’t change what happened, if they were behind schedular than their date was wrong, and mine was right.

Either way that’s not the point that was largely a joke (even though I’m right)

Judging by your original comment you said 2025 made the most sense. However, Nintendo did view 2024 as the most sense before having to delay it (if this is true). So no, I would not say you were necessarily right but I realize we’re arguing semantics lol.

I am so excited I think the Switch 2 being about as powerful or more than a ps4 with Nintendo games like Mario the graphics are going to hit their peak. Games like Mario Odyssey and Pikmin 4 already look amazing on switch but with the new hardware boost the outlines of 3d models will look a bit more hd (idk if you notice that thing on switch on big tvs where the outlines of like smash charectors are kinda low rez and pixelated) Like legit that tiny lil miniscule graphical issue being fixed in the next switch and I legit cant even comprehend how Nintendo games can look any better.
I think that’s why we got the internal delay because this time around Nintendo are gonna want to impress the consumers with their first party output and graphics, for example the ps4 have ghost of Tsushima, last of us part 2 and god of war 2018.
All games that looks phenomenal to this day (especially Last of us part 2)

Having the switch 2 be similar to the ps4 pro, but with modern architecture and development techniques and DLSS, we’ll be seeing one of the most impressive games this generation, because Nintendo currently have one of the most impressive developers in the industry, we’ll be feasting soon.

But I’m more worried of third party, because in the switch we’ve seen some of the most impressive ports and games, also some of the most stinkiest ports that puts some pc port to shame.

I think that’s why we got the internal delay because this time around Nintendo are gonna want to impress the consumers with their first party output and graphics, for example the ps4 have ghost of Tsushima, last of us part 2 and god of war 2018.

Having the switch 2 be similar to the ps4 pro, but with modern architecture and development techniques and DLSS, we’ll be seeing one of the most impressive games this generation, because Nintendo currently have one of the most impressive developers in the industry, we’ll be feasting soon.

But I’m more worried if third party, because in the switch we’ve seen some of the most impressive ports and games, also some of the most stinkiest ports that puts some pc port to shame.
DLSS Is going to be the biggest game changer. On pc The newest cod I get about 30 fps but with DLSS Turned on I get about 100.

Never overestimate the significance of SMT V for the switch, SMT as a series is pretty hardcore no matter what iteration, might as well say that SMT V's 1.5 million sales were achieved on top of the switch's massive sales.Off topic, the early installments of SMT would have been pretty cold in North America, as cold as the ones before Persona 5. The SMT series is one of the Japanese descendants of Wizardry series, and along with the high level of difficulty of Wizardry series, the early few Persona series (Persona 1-4) were very much in the style of the local Japanese anime culture, and it wasn't until Generation 5 that they became a hit in North America, whereas SMT, if not for the massive sales push of the switch, would still be acold series.

After the millennium JRPG decline in the background of a lot of cold JRPG in Europe and North America are very niche, because I was in China so the Japanese pop culture has "East Asian affinity", so I was lucky to come into contact with these games very early, I'm very happy that the Persona series has become popular in recent years, but SMT has had a hard time because of its difficulty.

I want to focus on this for a minute, because SMTV in handheld is perhaps the ugliest game I've played on Switch. That game looks absolutely terrible, and I remain continually surprised that people describe it positively from a visual perspective.
There's only so much you can do on a limited machine. Specially when you're using Unreal and pushing advanced lighting and models. They should have done a PS4 SKU or targeted PS4 exclusively because it would have given them a breathing room for even higher quality effects at higher resolution and framerate.

But I do appreciate and I'm glad they choose Switch as their target platform and tried to push the systems as much as possible, even if framerate and resolution suffered. Let's hope SMT V Vengeance migrates towards newer UE versions (More optimized for Switch hardware) and also add some kind of Temporal Upsampling (FSR 2 or TSR) or even Spatial (FSR1).

Discussion of Cyberpunk 2077 is banned on Famiboards, per our Banned Content List in Research & Development. Please refrain from continuing to bring up the title. – Party Sklar, BassForever, mariodk18, Dardan Sandiego
Third parties won't push Switch 2 to any limits, because they will just port mostly PS4 games to Switch 2, it would be different if third parties made games designed for and aimed towards Switch 2, that never happens with Nintendo systems. Everything is made for PS/Xbox/PC. Wouldn't be suprised if many third parties don't even bother to use Switch 2 features like DLSS because the priority will be lazy ports.

I would agree with you if it weren't for what we saw with Switch 1.
That system received many impossible ports in which many developers saw a lucrative endeavor throughout Switch's lifecycle just from porting games to the platform.

Sony and Microsoft are both proving to everyone that this high-end AAA space isn't sustainable and now that Switch is a known quantity, many of these developers might be OK with just developing around (or slightly above PS4/XboxOne) level of game budgets. Sony are already talking about PS5 sales hitting a downturn (mid lifecycle), so if Switch 2 manages to achieve massive sales in the first 2 years. I could see many developers start with Switch 2 as the lead platform (similar to MH Rise) and port up from there.

This might seem farfetched to many, but the one thing Switch has going for it is people like buying games for the platform, and with Nintendo dominating Japan. Many of these Japanese centric companies might see that as their most profitable option going forward, vs the other way around...

Also I would like to see Nintendo be aggressive again in publishing/partnering with some of these games that didn't come to Switch.
A few Games like CP, Baldur's Gate 3 and Elden Ring with (custom Zelda related content) would be a cool incentive. But there are plenty more games that could benefit from the late port with additional little features that make them unique.

Last edited:
I would agree with you if it weren't for what we saw with Switch 1.
That system received many impossible ports in which many developers saw a lucrative endeavor throughout Switch's lifecycle just from porting games to the platform.

Sony and Microsoft are both proving to everyone that this high-end AAA space isn't sustainable and now that Switch is a known quantity, many of these developers might be OK with just developing around (or slightly above PS4/XboxOne) level of game budgets. Sony are already talking about PS5 sales hitting a downturn (mid lifecycle), so if Switch 2 manages to achieve massive sales in the first 2 years. I could see many developers start with Switch 2 as the lead platform (similar to MH Rise) and port up from there.

This might seem farfetched to many, but the one thing Switch has going for it is people like buying games for the platform, and with Nintendo dominating Japan. Many of these Japanese centric companies might see that as their most profitable option going forward, vs the other way around...

Also I would like to see Nintendo be aggressive again in publishing/partnering with some of these games that didn't come to Switch.
A few Games like Cyber Punk, Baldur's Gate 3 and Elden Ring with (custom Zelda related content) would be a cool incentive. But there are plenty more games that could benefit from the late port with additional little features that make them unique.
Agree, but if I were you I wouldn’t mention a banned game.

I didn't really notice or remember anything "terrible", but then again I didn't play the game in handheld (100% docked, on our big TV).

Is this new? And is it interesting? lol.

Edit: No.

These are L4T commits from August 2021 and April 2022, respectively, which were merged into this third-party Android Nvidia Kernel branch of LineageOS at some point, and were reverted yesterday. So no, they're not new, just this revert action within LineageOS is. If I had to guess, the project's developers probably just noticed/decided that it's dead code since T239 is not a supported platform that their OS will ever run on.

Last edited:
I didn't really notice or remember anything "terrible", but then again I didn't play the game in handheld (100% docked, on our big TV).
Because SMT V employ advanced rendering lighting, they're presented at low resolution on Switch. So it's creates a very shimmery, noisy final output if you're rendering the game at low resolution (SMT V Portable <720p). Also, the game has hazy effect in some areas, which further decrease the quality of image resolve.

it's interesting to me in a

5pdlxq.png

kind of way

MASSSIVE Grain of salt. Half educated guess, half bullshit.

I'm probably wrong, but I believe "ape fabric support" refers to Nvidia's fabric manager, which is used for virtualization. Virtualization is used in virtual machines. If we wanna really stretch this out and go all tin foil hat, then this could be for backwards compatibility. (Virtualization != emulation though) If this is for BC, then it seems like it'll be more along the lines of the Xbox One's backwards compatibility (here) like we predicted.

Because SMT V employ advanced rendering lighting, they're presented at low resolution on Switch. So it's creates a very shimmery, noisy final output if you're rendering the game at low resolution (SMT V Portable <720p). Also, the game has hazy effect in some areas, which further decrease the quality of image resolve.
TIL. I'll check it out (SMT5 in handheld) when I have a chance to see the extent of the difference.

These are L4T commits from August 2021 and April 2022, respectively, which were merged into this third-party Android Nvidia Kernel branch of LineageOS at some point, and were reverted yesterday. So no, they're not new, just this revert action within LineageOS is. If I had to guess, the project's developers probably just noticed/decided that it's dead code since T239 is not a supported platform that their OS will ever run on.

MASSSIVE Grain of salt. Half educated guess, half bullshit.

I'm probably wrong, but I believe "ape fabric support" refers to Nvidia's fabric manager, which is used for virtualization. Virtualization is used in virtual machines. If we wanna really stretch this out and go all tin foil hat, then this could be for backwards compatibility. (Virtualization != emulation though) If this is for BC, then it seems like it'll be more along the lines of the Xbox One's backwards compatibility (here) like we predicted.
And those commits are to remove that support correct? IDK if that's a good or bad thing in this case.

Edit: Just saw LiC's comment. That makes sense (T239 isn't a supported platform)

does anyone still believe in a late 2024 launch?
I had some hope! In reality in my mind, has to be 2024, looking for the product life cycle, and a new fiscal Year with 20mi of hardware (10 for NSW and 10 for N2S in 2 Q's considering Christmas)! But, without any leak at this time, I don't know if was factible...

I had some hope! In reality in my mind, has to be 2024, looking for the product life cycle, and a new fiscal Year with 20mi of hardware (10 for NSW and 10 for N2S in 2 Q's considering Christmas)! But, without any leak at this time, I don't know if was factible...
that's sort of how I am at the moment ... still seems like a possibility, though I'm not sure why I think that when up against the rumors and hints and inside info...

But to be honest rumors and hints and inside info have basically been wrong all these years anyway so I don't know why I'd rule out the possibility of still being announced and launched this year.

A more realistic based point of view- I think a reveal is still possible this year at least.

Last edited:

But I’m more worried of third party, because in the switch we’ve seen some of the most impressive ports and games, also some of the most stinkiest ports that puts some pc port to shame.
I get what you all mean with those examples, but those three games (or anything PS4 really) are a low bar if you ask me... They're still last gen titles made around traditional shaders and rasterization techniques, very high budget and fantastically well made for sure but their backbone is already showing its age. I'd be disappointed if Nintendo first party didn't push beyond them with relative ease, now that they took an eternity to develop the tools and delayed the games & system multiple times.

So, Endless Ocean, Paper Mario in May, Luigi's Mansion 2 in June. After that, we won't be getting anything from Nintendo, aside Metroid Prime 4 that doesn't have anything as of information. We prolly expecting a Direct this month, right? And a Switch 2 reveal trailer in June. Is there any chance it's vice versa? A reveal this month and a Direct in June?
They haven't announced a Switch 2, so that's obviously not coming either. Ever.

By your logic, no games that they haven't announced yet are coming, ever. Nintendo has in the last few years reduced the length of announce -> release except for the biggest games.

On an additional note, when Switch 2 is new, they may announce some things that are further (maybe much further) in order to build excitement for Switch 2.

I get what you all mean with those examples, but those three games (or anything PS4 really) are a low bar if you ask me... They're still last gen titles made around traditional shaders and rasterization techniques, very high budget and fantastically well made for sure but their backbone is already showing its age. I'd be disappointed if Nintendo first party didn't push beyond them with relative ease, now that they took an eternity to develop the tools and delayed the games & system multiple times.
I would like to think that not only did the Tegra team made the new API but brought in epic artist and coder to help teach Nintendo the new pipeline.
It kinda hard not to as a lot of people here can see that it has the same potential to be like Skyrim. A last gen port to demonstrate the system capabilities and advance feature not found in the last gen (PS360)

maybe, but some companies like Capcom, Square Enix e Sega might make some exclusive/timed exclusives on Switch sucessor, i not expecting for all games that is coming to PS5 e Xbox series X/S, but if Switch sucessor could get a lot of important third parties games/franchises such as Kingdom Hearts 4, GTA 6, Monster Hunter Wild and many others, besides games made with the console in mind, that would be excelent.

tbh, I'm more interested in how Nvidia's DLSS model could be improved over time on Switch 2 hardware. Sure, your gonna need more tensor cores to really get better results, but I don't think that rules out any kind of optimizations that could happen over time.

I doubt we'll get something as explosive as DLSS Frame Gen, but I also think it's hard to rule it out too. At least in the middle of its lifecycle or something.

Claiming developers won't use a feature that is as close to "free performance" as you can get, and which will be thoroughly documented, is "hardware will be bad because Nintendo" levels of discourse. Especially after adding in "lazy ports".

tbh, I'm more interested in how Nvidia's DLSS model could be improved over time on Switch 2 hardware. Sure, your gonna need more tensor cores to really get better results, but I don't think that rules out any kind of optimizations that could happen over time.

I doubt we'll get something as explosive as DLSS Frame Gen, but I also think it's hard to rule it out too. At least in the middle of its lifecycle or something.
It's somehow unlikely. DLSS upscaling so far hasn't gotten any faster, it's just gotten more reliable so modes like Ultra Performance can be feasibly used without having to endure a terrible image. This will benefit Switch 2 in that Nintendo will be able to go progressively lower in terms of internal resolution while at the same time keeping a decent image, not sharp let alone perfect... but it'll work. DLSS3 might not be possible, but FSR3 totally is and it's been used on ancient architectures that don't even approach T239's GPU performance.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I went to watch the Switch presentation conference again, and it's interesting to remember that Nintendo presented the Switch as a synthesis of all Nintendo's accumulated innovations of the past.

I'd love to see Nintendo invent something in terms of controllers. They've been constantly innovating, constantly setting standards for the whole industry. I really hope the Switch 2 will be the Switch only better, but I also hope it won't be ONLY that.

Out of curiosity, I went to watch the Switch presentation conference again, and it's interesting to remember that Nintendo presented the Switch as a synthesis of all Nintendo's accumulated innovations of the past.

I'd love to see Nintendo invent something in terms of controllers. They've been constantly innovating, constantly setting standards for the whole industry. I really hope the Switch 2 will be the Switch only better, but I also hope it won't be ONLY that.
I wonder if they will cut the latency down. If I am wrong please correct me but I read somewhere that the Switch has the worst latency out any Nintendo system.

Thanks for the heads up...

To be honest I don't need them doing anything crazy since the joycons already pack a lot of tech that just needs to be improved upon.

The one thing they can add though are those "scroll wheel shoulder buttons!"
I think those would instantly become an industry standard after Nintendo shows off a sample of a quick weapon wheel selection in a TotK mockup showing off everything new with the system... (one can dream)

NintendoNXPatent.png

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom