• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Unrelated but PS Vita 2 real?

Edit: Or is it confirming that XBOX is making a handheld?

The nifty thing about AMD is they have their mobile chips that have been popular in X86 handhelds lately. Would be pretty easy for Microsoft or Sony to build a handheld around one of those processors and port an Xbox or Playstation OS to it. They could probably even get AMD to customize it a bit for them to cover their DRM requirements.

A new portable from Xbox or Sony would be really interesting. Both companies are having a tough time putting out games as is, so the portable just can't have it's own library. Same thing happened with the Vita. I feel like those handhelds would have to be Legion Go/top Steam Deck model expensive to cram capable enough hardware inside.

The latter from my reading of this. Which I think was gleaned from some leaked internal docs, right? At least that they had plans to do that, I think
I just hope they make a suitable OS or UI for all those Windows handheld first. Switch competition is better for everyone even if they don't sell that much.

Anyway, let's talk about storage. What do you think is the ideal storage for a Switch 2. The more the better but in terms of price, what is it? Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth storage requirement just dropped and it's 145GB. A 256GB storage should be minimum for the Switch 2.

Anyway, let's talk about storage. What do you think is the ideal storage for a Switch 2. The more the better but in terms of price, what is it? Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth storage requirement just dropped and it's 145GB. A 256GB storage should be minimum for the Switch 2.
I think 256gb.

256GB should be the minimum, but I have a feeling that's the most optimistic we could expect.

Unless the cost difference is negligible, Nintendo might opt for 128GB and once again have consumers buy their own microSD card for additional storage (in which case I really hope advances are made where 1TB microSD cards aren't prone to hairline cracks and short-circuiting

Other companies trying to enter handheld space again is precisely why people shouldn’t underestimate Nintendo here. They can’t be taking it easy

Edit: I’m just slightly annoyed at the Bombcast collectively saying with certainty that Switch 2 will be weaker than the Steam Deck. It’s such a weird take. The bar for power at Nintendo was lowered when they stopped matching the home console competition. Now they’ve meaningfully separated from that space, far removed from the console hardware race, and the moment competition sort of arrives in the form of the Deck, suddenly it’s a given that whatever Nintendo does will be weaker then that too?

Last edited:
256GB should be the minimum, but I have a feeling that's the most optimistic we could expect.

Unless the cost difference is negligible, Nintendo might opt for 128GB and once again have consumers buy their own microSD card for additional storage (in which case I really hope advances are made where 1TB microSD cards aren't prone to hairline cracks and short-circuiting

I expect them to be using UFS3.1, which has read speeds of more than 1 GB/s. MicroSD does not nearly hit those speeds, and I expect that they won't be compatible for next-gen titles. What fills the gap is still an open question, though. UFS is not a widely spread format yet for expandable storage, so potentially they may go for a proprietary solution like Microsoft did with XBOX Series - and yes, proprietary solutions are never ideal, unfortunately.

But yeah, the dream is 512 GB of internal storage. More realistic is 256 GB, and too little would 128 GB or less imo.

The problem with SD Card is speed. Even phones ditched the SD Cards. I have a modded switch and installed android on it. Tried playing Wild Rift and the game loaded very slowly. I am already using the suggested Samsung card and the suggested "hax" in order to double the speed of the SD Card. Meanwhile on my phone, the game loads in seconds.

Would say 256GB minimum as well. And "if" FF7Rb were to come to Switch NG, it definitely won't be 145GB.

They said they'd drop an unusually large number of Twitter and YouTube announcements in a small amount of time due to a cancelled Live show, proceed to a normal february direct, and then announce hardware before the end of the fiscal in March

How did I miss that?
They said their focus was going to be on Switch through fiscal year ending in March 2024. That's Nintendo speak for "no major Switch 2 news until then at least."

I bet in retrospect that will have basically been Nintendo saying "Switch 2 reveal coming March 2024" or shortly after.

Other companies trying to enter handheld space again is precisely why people shouldn’t underestimate Nintendo here. They can’t be taking it easy

Edit: I’m just slightly annoyed at the Bombcast collectively saying with certainty that Switch 2 will be weaker than the Steam Deck. It’s such a weird take. The bar for power at Nintendo was lowered when they stopped matching the home console competition. Now they’ve meaningfully separated from that space, far removed from the console hardware race, and the moment competition sort of arrives in the form of the Deck, suddenly it’s a given that whatever Nintendo does will be weaker then that too?

I don't see how they can possibly release a handheld device. Neither one can support two platform. The only way I can see is like Series Portable version of the next console playing the same games but that would surely rely on an energy inefficient x86 in handheld for ease of compatibility or straight up porting job to ARM. And if people think Series S is holding back games then people are really not gonna like this.

I'm also annoyed at all these assumptions that these handheld devices would outclass the Switch 2 ignoring that handheld PC won't have 6 years of technology improvement to rely on for a while.

People assume stuff all the time.

Someone asked me about the Switch and PS5, and the guy said, "Should I get a PS5 then? Isn't PlayStation for more serious gamers?"

I straight up laughed.

There will be people will always have this mindset of Nintendo sadly.

Someone asked me about the Switch and PS5, and the guy said, "Should I get a PS5 then? Isn't PlayStation for more serious gamers?"

I straight up laughed.

Unfortunately until Nintendo modernizes their online, party and chat options, I have to bring it up. It also misses a majority of the mainstream AAA space. It’s kind of nuanced - it’s not hard to reason about the system not being “serious.” I don’t necessarily agree but I get the perception.

My point was more about the bar being reset for visual expectations now that they’re focused on handheld. I was under the impression TX1 was as good as it could have been at launch.

I straight up laughed.

I mean, are they really wrong? Not saying Nintendo games aren't serious or are too kiddy, but you literally cannot buy a Switch right now and play a lot of the "core" experiences mainstream players love. And if you can, they're pretty compromised like Mortal Kombat 1 or the RE Cloud ports. Go take a look at TGA, most games that were on Nintendo consoles and nominated for an award were either exclusive games or indies. And this isn't even mentioning the lack of online functions which have been standard for basically 20 years (parties, voicechat, etc). The whole debate about Nintendo making "serious" games is silly, but there's a reason why Nintendo has this perception, whether you agree with it or not.

Edit: After the discussion continued, I realized this comment might come off as the exact thing I wanted to avoid in the first place lol - gatekeepy and console warsy. Gonna leave it as is, but I want to clarify I'm just arguing from the perspective of this someone who is looking for what they think a "serious" console is.

Last edited:
I mean, are they really wrong? Not saying Nintendo games aren't serious or are too kiddy, but you literally cannot buy a Switch right now and play a lot of the "core" experiences mainstream players love. And if you can, they're pretty compromised like Mortal Kombat 1 or the RE Cloud ports. Go take a look at TGA, most games that were on Nintendo consoles and nominated for an award were either exclusive games or indies. And this isn't even mentioning the lack of online functions which have been standard for basically 20 years (parties, voicechat, etc). The whole debate about Nintendo making "serious" games is silly, but there's a reason why Nintendo has this perception, whether you agree with it or not.

I mean I have a strong theory what was happening at The Game Awards, but third party wise the Switch has had the best support since the SNES.

You could say, "well what about the games that don't come to Switch", but you could say the same for Xbox and PlayStation, especially Xbox. There are ton of Switch/PS5/PC only multiplats, does that make the Xbox any less of a serious console?

I guess I could be hypocritical though. Anytime I ask someone if they are a gamer and they say, "yeah! I play Fortnite and Call of Duty" I instantly think they aren't really core gamers.

So maybe we should all learn.

I only use power saving mode, what's wrong with the standby mode?

Windows "modern standby" replaced S3 sleep (power saver mode where PC shuts down, but RAM is still powered and holds data) a few years ago. It's like a mobile with screen off, everything just switches to low power idle state, but the device is still active. Of course the switching to low power mode doesn't always work and windows often starts doing background tasks even if your device is in a backpack, hapilly draining battery all the way to 0% in a matter of few hours or less, no matter what you set up as threshold to switch to hibernation. So, it is basically useless. Moreso on a handheld gaming device, that is expected to be switched into some sort of suspend mode and back on on a regular basis.

Windows "modern standby" replaced S3 sleep (power saver mode where PC shuts down, but RAM is still powered and holds data) a few years ago. It's like a mobile with screen off, everything just switches to low power idle state, but the device is still active. Of course the switching to low power mode doesn't always work and windows often starts doing background tasks even if your device is in a backpack, hapilly draining battery all the way to 0% in a matter of few hours or less, no matter what you set up as threshold to switch to hibernation. So, it is basically useless. Moreso on a handheld gaming device, that is expected to be switched into some sort of suspend mode and back on on a regular basis.
I thought you meant xbox

I mean I have a strong theory what was happening at The Game Awards, but third party wise the Switch has had the best support since the SNES.

You could say, "well what about the games that don't come to Switch", but you could say the same for Xbox and PlayStation, especially Xbox. There are ton of Switch/PS5/PC only multiplats, does that make the Xbox any less of a serious console?

I guess I could be hypocritical though. Anytime I ask someone if they are a gamer and they say, "yeah! I play Fortnite and Call of Duty" I instantly think they aren't really core gamers.

idk if I agree with any of this. Switch's 3rd party support is good for a Nintendo console, but is it really comparable when it's still missing CoD, GTA, etc? This will probably all change with the Switch 2, but the perception of the Switch being "unserious" is there because those big games AAA games the internet discusses often skip the Switch. As for the Xbox being any less of a serious console, I don't think the perception is that way for Xbox right now. Xbox has a lot of issues, and people see them, but being seen as "unserious" probably ain't far up there since they still get every CoD, every new big Ubisoft game, etc. The games that skip Xbox but come to Switch typically aren't those the general public is gonna eat up anyways. And you thinking people who play CoD and Fortnite as not "core gamers" just kinda. Well it sounds super duper judgey. CoD might be the most "core" gaming experience there is, same with Fortnite. Nearly everyone has some sort of experience with these games, and with CoD specifically it feels like the gaming landscape sometimes revolves around that game series lol. It's not like people who play these massive games are any less likely to play other games either. The MS+ABK trial gave us some data showing only about 1 million PS4+PS5 owners (combined) only play CoD (less than 1% of PS owners). So even if you don't think they're playing a "core" game there, there's a pretty good chance they play other games.

idk if I agree with any of this. Switch's 3rd party support is good for a Nintendo console, but is it really comparable when it's still missing CoD, GTA, etc? This will probably all change with the Switch 2, but the perception of the Switch being "unserious" is there because those big games AAA games the internet discusses often skip the Switch. As for the Xbox being any less of a serious console, I don't think the perception is that way for Xbox right now. Xbox has a lot of issues, and people see them, but being seen as "unserious" probably ain't far up there since they still get every CoD, every new big Ubisoft game, etc. The games that skip Xbox but come to Switch typically aren't those the general public is gonna eat up anyways. And you thinking people who play CoD and Fortnite as not "core gamers" just kinda. Well it sounds super duper judgey. CoD might be the most "core" gaming experience there is, same with Fortnite. Nearly everyone has some sort of experience with these games, and with CoD specifically it feels like the gaming landscape sometimes revolves around that game series lol. It's not like people who play these massive games are any less likely to play other games either. The MS+ABK trial gave us some data showing only about 1 million PS4+PS5 owners (combined) only play CoD (less than 1% of PS owners). So even if you don't think they're playing a "core" game there, there's a pretty good chance they play other games.
Super Mario, the best selling gaming series ever is skipping PS5, PC and Xbox. Doesn't it make gamers on other platforms unserious when they aren't playing the best selling series of all time?

Two things can be true at once here: firstly, stating that the Switch is not for "serious" gamers is a nonsense discrepancy. Secondly, Nintendo missing most of the large releases from third parties is obviously a limiting factor to its appeal. Nintendo IP themselves have a massive appeal, and constitute a separate pillar in the gaming market that can constitute a mainstream market all by itself, distinct from the mainstream market on PS/XB/PC (i.e. are Mario Kart, 2D/3D Mario, Super Smash Bros., Zelda, and Pokémon really less mainstream than CoD, Overwatch, Avatar, Monster Hunter, etc.? Or are they a mainstream market that rivals the other market in size but with a distinct offering?). It is my personal opinion that the two mainstream markets actually have more overlap than they are given credit for, and that Nintendo gamers would definitely buy mainstream games from the PS/XB/PC mainstream market if given the chance (meaning they get day-and-date releases with competent versions on the Switch 2). We saw last year with EA Sports FC and some other big gaming IP that Switch has the capacity to bring large sales when given proper attention.

As an aside: if third parties do decide to correct course and support Switch 2 full on, then that might open up some avenues for growth compared to Switch 1 for Nintendo.

At this point I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but here we go:

The 3 pillars would be: ¹better motion controls for the joy-con, making it a 6DoF controller; ²body tracking much ahead of anything microsoft's kinect could do; ³a lightweight and cheap - but high quality - VR headset that would launch 2 or 3 years after the console's launch.

So, for the first two we would basically need cameras. Personally I would put cameras on the tablet itself (I would sacrifice the up bezels making it a bit larger to accommodate the cameras as I believe it would be a great trade-off, and would enable this experience on tabletop mode too.
With an add-on accessory (that would come in the box) you could transform the joy-con on a VR like controller, with sub-millimeter accuracy. It would have that traditional ring shape (from VR controllers) with the IR LED's to be tracked by the cameras. The same cameras would be used to perform the body tracking (it could even do both trackings at the same time, like it's done on meta quest 3)

It would be something like this (it's just an example, don't mind on the quality of the execution here)

MnRpGBK.png

FvYac65.png

3cW8s70.png

Also, Nvidia has a model for body tracking.

All these machine learning algorithms would be running on the Tensor Cores.

About VR, I made this post the other day:

This approach could offer cheap VR (for those who already have a Switch 2, and I'm thinking something between $150-$199) in a very lightweight/comfortable headset that would only contain the 2 lenses, 2 speakers, one or two screens (it's up to them to decide which approach is the best from a price and weight perspective), one IMU, and 4 cameras. Pancake lenses (which enables both the clearest visuals and a slimmer design) are a bit expensive now, but it would get cheaper in 2026/27 (when I would expect Nintendo launching the headset). Although a cheap solution, it would still offer a high quality VR experience.

And, of course, we don't need controllers to be bundled with the HMD because every Switch 2 owner would already have VR ready controllers. Make a Mario Kart for launch and Nintendo would steal a lot of Meta's customers...

I believe that if they did all this, it would greatly expand on how versatile a hardware like the Switch can be. They would be crazy not to do this IMHO :p

BUT... it's Nintendo, so...

Kidding...

Sometimes it really appears to be the perfect idea on our minds, but in reality it's just a very subjective take, and most people would not bother lol

Anyway, I'm so convinced that this would make the Switch 2 to sell at least as many units as the Switch that I'm definitely setting myself up for disappointment... and that will be on me.

That sounds incredible! Adding cameras to the joycon would make them even more expensive than they already are, so putting them on the tablet is probably the way to go. The potential for fitness games without the need for extra out of the box accessories like Ring Fit might even bring back a little bit of the casual and older crowd that may have not stuck around after the Wii. Great way to avoid excluding those who can't or won't use a VR headset too.
The only major concern I can see is the shape of the controller accessories, since the tablet would probably be docked around torso height at the highest. I assume that the "overhead" ring design that Oculus used prevailed since the cameras tracking them are above the controllers, but an "underhand" ring like what PSVR2 uses seems like it would eliminate that concern, if it is one at all.

Super Mario, the best selling gaming series ever is skipping PS5, PC and Xbox. Doesn't it make gamers on other platforms unserious when they aren't playing the best selling series of all time?
No, I don't believe playing, not playing, having, or not having a game or series makes any person or platform "serious" or "unserious", and I tried hard not to insinuate that with my comments. The entire idea of a platform being "serious" or "unserious" is silly and ultimately useless, but people still use descriptors like these anyways as they're easy shorthand for describing the game library of a console or player. Ultimately I hope that words and descriptors like these get left in the dust because they're gatekeepy and just promote the console wars.
Two things can be true at once here: firstly, stating that the Switch is not for "serious" gamers is a nonsense discrepancy. Secondly, Nintendo missing most of the large releases from third parties is obviously a limiting factor to its appeal. Nintendo IP themselves have a massive appeal, and constitute a separate pillar in the gaming market that can constitute a mainstream market all by itself, distinct from the mainstream market on PS/XB/PC (i.e. are Mario Kart, 2D/3D Mario, Super Smash Bros., Zelda, and Pokémon really less mainstream than CoD, Overwatch, Avatar, Monster Hunter, etc.? Or are they a mainstream market that rivals the other market in size but with a distinct offering?). It is my personal opinion that the two mainstream markets actually have more overlap than they are given credit for, and that Nintendo gamers would definitely buy mainstream games from the PS/XB/PC mainstream market if given the chance (meaning they get day-and-date releases with competent versions on the Switch 2). We saw last year with EA Sports FC and some other big gaming IP that Switch has the capacity to bring large sales when given proper attention.

As an aside: if third parties do decide to correct course and support Switch 2 full on, then that might open up some avenues for growth compared to Switch 1 for Nintendo.
Very well put, I spent awhile trying to explain my thoughts but I could never get it concise enough so I deleted it all and wrote something else lol

Well, just to add, if any platform skips PS5 or Xbox is 99% because companies are paying money for multiplat exclusivity

This will probably all change with the Switch 2, but the perception of the Switch being "unserious" is there because those big games AAA games the internet discusses often skip the Switch.
Yeah, but I never accepted the premise that these big games were the only things that mattered in the first place. When you have someone like me who would take Kirby and the Forgotten Land over Elden Ring any day of the week, the whole "core experiences" distinction kinda loses its meaning.

A portable Xbox would be more compelling than whatever Sony would have to offer because of two reasons:
  1. Sony has a bad reputation with portables;
  2. A handheld Xbox machine with backwards compatibility all the way to the original Xbox, plus Gamepass, is one hell of a deal. Especially if Xbox can manage a $199-299 price point.

Nintendo made everyone want a Wii Remote. That's why the Wii did so well. Nintendo really couldn't make anybody want a tablet as part of a (not an entire) game machine in 2012. It was an expensive anchor. Even if they had found a way to excise the tablet as a requirement for the machine, it would have been too late and the machine had other problems (the OS for one) that were keeping it back.

It was much more Nintendo trying to shoehorn an Apple TV-like product into a Wii without making it clear to potential customers that it was the successor to the Wii or without making it clear that the TV aspect didn’t require altering your cable/satellite subscription.

To casuals it looked like a poorly executed TV add-on to the Wii, not an entirely new product.

To the few folks who might’ve been interested in the TV functions, it was confusing trying to understand how it integrated into your set top box setup.

It was almost exclusively innovation and it bombed.

Making catch-all statements about Nintendo’s innovation versus iteration strategies is almost always a bad idea. They usually balance both in each of their new products to achieve success.

Sorry for responding so late, probably the discussion is dead, but I think it came out way too late, and with too few games (also see the significant gap bw announcement and release). So much that when it came out, people were over the wii remote, did not care for the wii brand. Nintendo managed to lure people in with a few games (wii sports/fit) that people played a few days in the start, but never would care to reopen or purchase the sequels (not to mention the console for playing them) on the next system. I think most casual felt like they did not get their bang for the buck with the wii, beyond the few hours playing wii sports.
Don't get me wrong though, I loved my wii and either way, things are different today, as they managed to deliver brilliant experiences consistently with the switch. Hell I had a week end with a group of friends this summer, and was amazed to see all the kids busy playing a variety of games I had never seen on their switch. My conclusion: this time people just want more, and nintendo should not wait too long before delivering on a new offer.

Last edited:

Exactly, unfortunately, "core-gamers" have been stuck for years in the online multiplayer shooter bubbles, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, GTA and Sony's cinematic games.
This is what many consider to be a "serious gamer", I find it funny, as most are games with shallow and even very easy gameplay, while Mario is much more "gamey" for real and is considered casual due to its visuals.

That, and the complete inability of Windows 10 to operate functionally on a slow HD made me switch to Linux, I don't regret it. Much more performance, and I can leave my notebook unplugged for days and it will still have some battery.

A portable Xbox would be more compelling than whatever Sony would have to offer because of two reasons:
  1. Sony has a bad reputation with portables;
  2. A handheld Xbox machine with backwards compatibility all the way to the original Xbox, plus Gamepass, is one hell of a deal. Especially if Xbox can manage a $199-299 price point.

I just have no interest in an Xbox handheld. Xbox and Windows are essentially the same thing, there are plenty of PC handhelds on the market that can play the majority of the Xbox line-up as it stands. BC all the way back to OG Xbox? If they were to do that, you might as well just provide the catalogue of games not available on PC via the Xbox app. Not like there are an awful amount of titles necessary for porting.

Xbox already is more of an app with brand titles than a console in my eyes these days. Considering I have a ROG Ally and how it runs Xbox titles, it just wouldn't be appealing. They want Game Pass on everything at this point so it's not special at all to have it on a handheld of their own, it's going to inevitably be on everything as that's the endgame of Xbox.

A Sony handheld with weight behind it on the other hand? If they can pull off allowing for a seamless library with what is currently available on PS5 as well as opening up further BC support for their PSP and Vita libraries, that to me is far more appealing. So many titles there that aren't on PC (legally anyways) and an absolutely stellar library of games, I think that would appeal. You could make it a cheaper alternative to a PS5 and provide us handheld lovers the option. Better than the half-cooked cloud streaming mess that is the Portal which I disliked greatly.

I've always had a soft spot with Sony handhelds and loved them (PSP was undeniably ahead of its time and Sony was very passionate about it back then and promoted it heavily, it has a fantastic library) so I would be happy with Sony getting back into this market (also saying this as an Xperia phone owner as well.) The Switch is reshaping the industry back into respecting the appeal of the handheld console market and PC's making the transition and capitalising on it is a wake up call that there is absolutely a market for it to cash in on. I don't think they would half-ass it again like the Vita because back then their line of thinking was that the mobile market was dominating and that the appeal of handheld consoles was lost and wouldn't return, that there was no point in investing in that market anymore.

Things have changed and I very much expect Switch 2 to continue this trend upwards. There's more competition in this space than ever before, the clones be cloning, there is untapped potential for more, I'm still excited at the prospects of more powerful and more perfect handheld consoles/hybrids that achieve the dream of high quality gaming in the palm of your hand. I'm sure Sony can do something quality with this.

Last edited:

That all said, bring GTA, COD, Far Cry, and whatever mainstream and popular selling franchise to the Switch, and the folks who have some sort of complex going on for what a "serious" gaming console is will still not buy any Nintendo platform. So as far as I'm concerned, they're not in the venn diagram that includes owning a Nintendo platform, and that is their prerogative to decide. I personally think they're missing out, but they'll do them. That is all I'll say about that.

Regarding 3rd party games in general though, what Switch may lack in "some" AAA IPs, they make up for it in the slew of fantastic 3rd Party Indie titles, which for more than a handful of them provide "AAA" like experiences, but without the fluff of microtransactions, and useless DLC like skin packs. While it's a few years old now, Hollow Knight is probably the best non-AAA game I've ever played, and it even sits up there with my list of GOATs.

You are correct that many Switch owners own more than one platform, whether it is Xbox/PS/PC, so even if they are missing out, there are other avenues.

the only way these other companies can threaten nintendo is if they all decided to go hybrid. i very much doubt they’d sacrifice their home consoles for less powerful portable consoles and they’d have a hell of a hard time having development studios working on both home and portable software.

nintendo have full assed this space, i can only see the other companies half assing it to try and compete. if sony or microsoft do go the hybrid route, it’ll be interesting to see which sacrifices they’d be willing to make, especially after they’ve done so much to promote the power of their home consoles.

It'd be really cool to see the big 3 fight over the handheld space. Put some pressure on Nintendo, at the end of the day we win
Nintendo has always moved at their own pace. Microsoft and Sony releasing handhelds won't do anything too change that.

I just have no interest in an Xbox handheld. Xbox and Windows are essentially the same thing, there are plenty of PC handhelds on the market that can play the majority of the Xbox line-up as it stands. BC all the way back to OG Xbox? If they were to do that, you might as well just provide the catalogue of games not available on PC via the Xbox app. Not like there are an awful amount of titles necessary for porting.

Xbox already is more of an app with brand titles than a console in my eyes these days. Considering I have a ROG Ally and how it runs Xbox titles, it just wouldn't be appealing. They want Game Pass on everything at this point so it's not special at all to have it on a handheld of their own, it's going to inevitably be on everything as that's the endgame of Xbox.

A Sony handheld with weight behind it on the other hand? If they can pull off allowing for a seamless library with what is currently available on PS5 as well as opening up further BC support for their PSP and Vita libraries, that to me is far more appealing. So many titles there that aren't on PC (legally anyways) and an absolutely stellar library of games, I think that would appeal. You could make it a cheaper alternative to a PS5 and provide us handheld lovers the option. Better than the half-cooked cloud streaming mess that is the Portal which I disliked greatly.

I've always had a soft spot with Sony handhelds and loved them (PSP was undeniably ahead of its time and Sony was very passionate about it back then and promoted it heavily, it has a fantastic library) so I would be happy with Sony getting back into this market (also saying this as an Xperia phone owner as well.) The Switch is reshaping the industry back into respecting the appeal of the handheld console market and PC's making the transition and capitalising on it is a wake up call that there is absolutely a market for it to cash in on. I don't think they would half-ass it again like the Vita because back then their line of thinking was that the mobile market was dominating and that the appeal of handheld consoles was lost and wouldn't return, that there was no point in investing in that market anymore.

Things have changed and I very much expect Switch 2 to continue this trend upwards. There's more competition in this space than ever before, the clones be cloning, there is untapped potential for more, I'm still excited at the prospects of more powerful and more perfect handheld consoles/hybrids that achieve the dream of high quality gaming in the palm of your hand. I'm sure Sony can do something quality with this.

I enjoy my Vita but it's hard to see how they can enter the handheld space again. By the time we have the technology for a portable ps5, we'll be on the ps6 going to ps7. The PS5 games support won't be a big selling point by then. Plus the Switch 2 will have a full generation unchallenged and ready with a new successor. If the rise in third party support is any indication, there will be few if any third party supporting PSP3 insted of Switch3. Also, the leaks point to a very beefy handheld strategy for Switch 2 and with the option to draw additional power while dock. It will be very hard to even compete on power.

Unless MS goes back on their "Lets just make all our games multiplatform", i don't see how they would see any good results from a handheld?

Outside of making it an Android-like one with the focus of game streaming like the Portal, and with an App store to build upon all the mobile shit they now own via Activision.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom