• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

35-1080.b8a27b2c.jpg

34-1080.dc18a232.jpg

EDIT: Dictator (Digital Foundry) calls this comparison into question. he says it's a different ToD. would be nice if someone does a proper indepth comparison

I wouldn't be surprised if fallback solutions become the norm, but I wouldn't expect a full on "turn RT off" deal for Drake for most games. performance differences don't seem major for games with toggles, but the visual benefits are immense.

for the worst cases, we might see RT off but with a different lighting implementation all together. with SWRT and HWRT not having much performance difference, it would mean SWRT still wouldn't be viable and would need a different path all together

Last edited:
Ehh. The same could have been said about HD when the Wii was released.

It’s more of a question of if Nintendo thinks there is enough adoption/solutions that there won’t be a bad experience w/o hdr for consumers in docked mode.

I hope so for hdr and vrr.
It'd be closer to if the Wii U didn't have HD

HDR will be the most transformative part of these next gen games visuals, unless you’ve only experienced crappy hdr on hdr 400 monitors and tcl 4 series TVs, and not something like the tcl 6 series, Samsung s90c, or Sony x90l that have true hdr impact and not just a marketing sticker on the box.
I currently have an "HDR 600" monitor and it's indeed garbage. Everything below HDR 1000 is apparently just to trick you with the marketing

I currently have an "HDR 600" monitor and it's indeed garbage. Everything below HDR 1000 is apparently just to trick you with the marketing
Local dimming with a good amount of full array zones and high quality algorithms and hdr 1000, or oled is required for hdr not to suck balls.

It'd be closer to if the Wii U didn't have HD
Yeah they introduced hdr with the PS4 in 2013, I fully expect it on switch 2. It would be incredibly disappointing and possibly the end if they didn’t have hdr support. Atmos support isn’t a given because of licensing but it could also happen, maybe for a small fee.

Who cares about HDR support

Good.
Gaslight. Gatekeep. Gameboss.

I don't think that's what GGG stands for...

It is supported by the API.

Not a guarantee of anything - the API can support features the hardware doesn't enable.

But I have a really hard time imagining them not enabling it.

I'll have a hard time believing Nintendo would have hardware accelerated Ray-Tracing in Switch 2, but no HDR support. Then again, HDR feels more or less a marketing term these days for the TVs, and Monitors.

And from the sounds of it, the Switch OLED, despite no HDR support to speak of, makes games really pop and shine. So even in SDR, games can still look good. Hell, I've never owned an HDR display, so I guess I don't even know what I'm missing in the first place. 🤷‍♂️

speak of the devil! this is gonna be an important comparison, the series s version

I was just gonna post this. I saw it and some highlights:

-PS5/Series X Performance mode have some issues, specially in fights. Quality mode is a locked 30
-Series S only has 30 fps mode, fights and certain busy areas drop it to high 20s.
-Internal resolution for Series S is native 720 to 1080p with FSR2 upscaling it.

There is more to dig in there but the Series S versions looks pretty good.

I don't think that's what GGG stands for...

I'll have a hard time believing Nintendo would have hardware accelerated Ray-Tracing in Switch 2, but no HDR support. Then again, HDR feels more or less a marketing term these days for the TVs, and Monitors.

And from the sounds of it, the Switch OLED, despite no HDR support to speak of, makes games really pop and shine. So even in SDR, games can still look good. Hell, I've never owned an HDR display, so I guess I don't even know what I'm missing in the first place. 🤷‍♂️
Well get one now! I got a r646 to live in harmony with my Panasonic st50 Plasma but I have wait till Christmas to get it because it’s my gift from my parents.

35-1080.b8a27b2c.jpg

34-1080.dc18a232.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if fallback solutions become the norm, but I wouldn't expect a full on "turn RT off" deal for Drake for most games. performance differences don't seem major for games with toggles, but the visual benefits are immense.

for the worst cases, we might see RT off but with a different lighting implementation all together. with SWRT and HWRT not having much performance difference, it would mean SWRT still wouldn't be viable and would need a different path all together

So...which picture is which? The link doesn't appear to show those two examples either unless something on my end didn't load when translating the website.

speak of the devil! this is gonna be an important comparison, the series s version

relevant Series S stuff
  • 1280x720 to 1920x1080
  • FSR2 used
  • RTGI and RT Reflections are present
  • RTGI is different than bigger versions, looks like a lower bounce count or tracing distance
  • lower quality everything else as well
  • 30fps only
So...which picture is which? The link doesn't appear to show those two examples either unless something on my end didn't load when translating the website.
top is HW bottom is SW. the images and more comparisons are on a different page, but the very first page has a summary and a link to the comparisons

The Wii was an overclocked GameCube, no way it could do a reasonable 720p/1080p in games, so an HDMI port would have only given a 480p signal or a (poor) upscale. I don't even believe HDMI or HDTVs were standard at the time, I think the launch 360 only had component. That, and the Wii was just an entirely different direction from Nintendo, they weren't promising upgraded HD visuals.

Meanwhile I'm reasonably sure T239 adheres to the HDMI 2.1 spec, and will support 4K 60. It's a DirectX 12 compliant GPU. To have all those features but not support HDR at the very least in docked mode just feels unlikely, when both 4K and HDR are more ubiquitous in displays.

It made sense for Nintendo to not enable HDR in the original Switch in 2017 despite the chipset supporting it. But in 2024 and beyond, doesn't seem like the right move.

I'm not necessarily speaking to whether developers will program it into their games, of course. Just that the option should be there, for both games and video apps.

The Wii was an overclocked GameCube, no way it could do a reasonable 720p/1080p in games, so an HDMI port would have only given a 480p signal or a (poor) upscale. I don't even believe HDMI or HDTVs were standard at the time, I think the launch 360 only had component. That, and the Wii was just an entirely different direction from Nintendo, they weren't promising upgraded HD visuals.

Meanwhile I'm reasonably sure T239 adheres to the HDMI 2.1 spec, and will support 4K 60. It's a DirectX 12 compliant GPU. To have all those features but not support HDR at the very least in docked mode just feels unlikely, when both 4K and HDR are more ubiquitous in displays.

It made sense for Nintendo to not enable HDR in the original Switch in 2017 despite the chipset supporting it. But in 2024 and beyond, doesn't seem like the right move.

I'm not necessarily speaking to whether developers will program it into their games, of course. Just that the option should be there, for both games and video apps.
Yeah totk and Mario wonder are screaming from the rooftops for hdr and wide color gammit.

It has nothing to do with the gpu even.

The Switch oled is fully capable of HDR in portable and docked (in theory). So is the Nvidia shield powered by the same chipset.

edit: "It made sense for Nintendo to not enable HDR in the original Switch in 2017 despite the chipset supporting it. But in 2024 and beyond, doesn't seem like the right move."

The V1/2 dock doesn't support HDR or 4k output. The oled dock supports both.

This is a public forum. It's not the place to be sharing information that you don't want repeated elsewhere, and no amount of hide tags will stop douchebag YouTubers from harvesting content here. Hide tags are best thought of as keeping things out of search engines and being an at-best honor-system warning not to irresponsibly spread or speculate on things, but we can't make anyone adhere to that honor system.

Anyway, I hope this little diversion is done now.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:

Just as a side note, the PS3 had HDMI from the start, but you're correct the launch Xbox 360 only used component. It don't think it even supported 1080p at launch either, though some early games did exist that were futureproofed with 1080p output (Quake 2 that was bundled with Quake 4 for 360 comes to mind)

HDMI existed for a few years by the time Xbox 360 launched, but like you said, wasn't widely adopted yet. I think when I got my original fat PS3 in 2007, I believe I used the component cables from my PS2, though maybe I'm mistaken there.

I think this is a little ridiculous. I can read all the posts since I posts a ton, but to start gating people on this site so some YouTubers can’t read it is too much to me. People will find out information. It’s the internet not your house. If you don’t want people reporting your info then don’t say anything at all. How much down the rabbit hole are you gonna go to hide your info on here? By the time you know it it’ll be a few people who can even read it.

As one of the (possibly only?) person who used a filter on possible new content. I agree with everyone saying that it’s pointless for truly keeping things hidden and a pain on usability. It’s partly a joke (hence the low requirement) and to keep the poor engineer from getting too many spam.

Last edited:
Edit: "It made sense for Nintendo to not enable HDR in the original Switch in 2017 despite the chipset supporting it. But in 2024 and beyond, doesn't seem like the right move."

The V1/2 dock doesn't support HDR or 4k output. The oled dock supports both.
The point is that the Tegra X1 could do it, so if they intended to have HDR enabled on Switch from the start, I assume they would have chosen a dock chipset to support it. Unless there's a limitation of Displayport to HDMI I'm unaware of.

And the point about the GPU is just to emphasize the different direction of this console compared to the Wii.

Not to drag the thread back off-topic but I just caught up and feel responsible to comment on the gatekeeping (since I kinda started it).

Just wanted all the newer users and longtime lurkers to know it's not my intention or suggestion that this thread begin locking itself down or become nearly unreadable, I just wanted people to see it was possible to further restrict their posts if they feel the need to. This is not the first time things in Hide tags have been skimmed off this thread by bad actors, and it's sometimes pretty uncomfortable when it happens (though @Meelow's taking this one in stride 👍) so I was just floating possibilities. I understand the intimidation in coming in and commenting in this thread because that used to be me, and even now there are still times where I'm nervous to ask or say something here so I get it, and I do not want this place to feel less welcoming.

And the stuff yall're missing in all those restricted posts for the past 12 hours or so is honestly just shitposting and practicing the BBcode, so nothing to worry about. 😅

On a scale of hopefulness, where do we stand regarding the announcement of the Switch 2 early next year?

Pretty hopeful, depending on what you mean by "early". Personally I find it hard to imagine a scenario where the existence of the system isn't at least acknowledged before the new annual sales forecast in early May. Once we reach early February, all bets are off.

Hypothetically if Nintendo decided to a $399 LCD model and a $499 OLED model at launch, which one are you buying?

I pick OLED and I think Nintendo could actually do a 70/30 split in favor of OLED and have no problem selling out of the OLED model at least for the first year shipments.

Hypothetically if Nintendo decided to a $399 LCD model and a $499 OLED model at launch, which one are you buying?

I pick OLED and I think Nintendo could actually do a 70/30 split in favor of OLED and have no problem selling out of the OLED model at least for the first year shipments.
OLED for sure. Give me those deep blacks, baby

The point is that the Tegra X1 could do it, so if they intended to have HDR enabled on Switch from the start, I assume they would have chosen a dock chipset to support it. Unless there's a limitation of Displayport to HDMI I'm unaware of.

And the point about the GPU is just to emphasize the different direction of this console compared to the Wii.
Yea, I think it's very important for Nintendo to have parity in both modes. The original panel didn't have it, so they didn't prioritise it in docked.

With the oled Im of the opinion that it was probably considered up until very late in development, since they bothered to engineer a new dock capable of HDR output, and go with a panel with full HDR support.

A 100$ difference is pretty wild for just a oled screen. Even 50$ is a bit too much if they don‘t add other things (more storage, higher capacity battary).

I'd love this. Having an HDR OLED screen Day 1 would launch Switch 2 into the stratosphere of being my favorite handheld.

I suppose it would make it harder to sell an OLED model down the line.

Imo it'd be a bit weird for Nintendo to immediately do a 2nd SKU. I'd expect them to do an OLED revision a few years down the line when Nintendo discovers some cost-saving measures like with the original Switch OLED.

relevant Series S stuff
  • 1280x720 to 1920x1080
  • FSR2 used
  • RTGI and RT Reflections are present
  • RTGI is different than bigger versions, looks like a lower bounce count or tracing distance
  • lower quality everything else as well
  • 30fps only

Impressive. Seems to hold 30fps well apart from the heaviest moments here it can dip (although he didn't play the later areas of the game), moreover not much flying footage either. I was curious about the LOD pop-in on the platforms.

The RT reflections on all platforms are likely at sub-native resolution. Curious how the Series S would compare with the RTX 2050 they have, but maybe memory bandwidth would be too constrained at equivalent settings.
I'll have to wait for some more benchmarks with laptop gpus/systems to come out (also interested in the overall CPU load).

Nonetheless, this looks impressive for the lowest-end platform at the moment.

Last edited:
Impressive. Seems to hold 30fps well apart from the heaviest moments here it can dip (although he didn't play the later areas of the game), moreover not much flying footage either. I was curious about the LOD pop-in on the platforms.

The RT reflections on all platforms are likely at sub-native resolution. Curious how the Series S would compare with the RTX 2050 they have, but maybe memory bandwidth would be too constrained at equivalent settings.
I'll have to wait for some more benchmarks with laptop gpus/systems to come out (also interested in the overall CPU load).

Nonetheless, this looks impressive for the lowest-end platform at the moment.

There's a difference in that comparison shot? 🧐

But seriously, I feel for some of these side by side comparisons, you could probably pass off some Series S screenshots as Series X shots, and some wouldn't even tell the difference...

But even more seriously, I think it just shows once again how scalable engines are nowadays. Even at lower detail settings, the games can still look fantastic.

omg i literally thought i made up that FUncle rumor when i came in here and couldn't find it because of the post limiting discussion. i was hoping we were all still talking about FUncle and something even crazier got spilled in the meantime. 😭

A little bit off here and thw world burned wow
Wathever, I don't plan to post so sensitive inside info until January (unless something happens on my end)

Sounds like "I'm in holiday vacation for the next ~ 2 1/2 weeks unless work calls me in". ;D

For those who are know a lot about DLSS and FSR. Can DLSS + FS3 Frame Generation be utilised on NG Switch?
the new FSR 3.0 release has FSR upscaling only. though it's probably possible to combine DLSS SR and FSR FG, the developer has to do it themselves, and that's probably something they don't want to spend time doing

speaking of
AMD-FSR3-GUIDE2.png

AMD-FSR3-GUIDE4.png

AMD-FSR3-GUIDE3.png

There's a difference in that comparison shot? 🧐

But seriously, I feel for some of these side by side comparisons, you could probably pass off some Series S screenshots as Series X shots, and some wouldn't even tell the difference...

But even more seriously, I think it just shows once again how scalable engines are nowadays. Even at lower detail settings, the games can still look fantastic.

Hmmm, to be fair you're looking at a screenshot from a compressed 4k YouTube video. If you open it up and zoom in, you'll see the breakup or difference in the image, but ideally, you'd want some high-resolution direct-feed images/captures to peek at :D. Moreover, you also notice some FSR2 artefacts in motion, but overall it looks really good :p.
To have such density and high-frequency image, but still look clear image and close to the other bigger consoles is quite impressive.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom