• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Fire Emblem Engage |ST| Your Hidden Desire to Have Neon Joy-Con-Coloured Hair. Mark spoilers!

Are skirmishes totally botched in Maddening? I'm dying for all kinds of resources and have never seen one even though I'm already at the beginning of Chapter 10... Or a more general question: what's the trigger for a slirmish map to pop up? Online guides point to story battles but so far it doesn't work for me :/

Are skirmishes totally botched in Maddening? I'm dying for all kinds of resources and have never seen one even though I'm already at the beginning of Chapter 10... Or a more general question: what's the trigger for a slirmish map to pop up? Online guides point to story battles but so far it doesn't work for me :/
They intentionally don't spawn on Maddening. I think a handful spawn at set points, but other than that, welcome to Maddening.

I feel like I'm getting really screwed with level-ups on
Ivy.
She's had several level-ups recently with only 2 stats growing
If it makes you feel better, the way she arrives, statwise, will make her very comfortable for a long time before you need to worry

Reposting these Relay Trials for a new page, come get your free stuff:

• Verdant Plain: 629MY6J
  • Mountain Peak: 282GY03
  • Winter Forest: 6C3BFR2
  • Desert Dunes: 5LL2YK3

Chapter 16 was obnoxious. Super long, parts of the map randomly get cut off so you can't move around much, and then while you're standing around waiting to be able to move on, reinforcements keep popping up behind you. Ugh.

This is definitely a gameplay-forward Fire Emblem, but I think that people trying to portray it as a game where you can focus on the battles are wrong

Engage's combat system is so laden with multiple layers that you have to engage with something like a dozen different parts to use each element effectively, but it also hides a great deal of what it would take to use every part of the system effectively—like SP items, bond rings, etc.—behind gacha mechanics, post-game grinding, and so on. It's a game that's an enormous time sink when you try to play any missions, and the side content is tuned so that you either have to be juiced out of your mind (with DLC content, natch) or wait until much later in the story before you interact with it

The game's a bit of an unfocused mess, and while it feels balanced early on I think that balance frays really badly in the second half, though in a way that's different from other Awakening Era games

I’m still really annoyed with how awful skirmishes and training missions are in this game. What’s the point in them when they scale with Alear’s level and have like 30 enemies? I can’t use the units that need training in the training missions because they’re scaled for my endgame team. So units just have to stay benched. It really sucks.

Here’s hoping we get a QOL patch that fixes those and other issues like not being able to equip skills in the ring chamber or having an actual way to grind support for characters other than Alear.
Chapter 16 was obnoxious. Super long, parts of the map randomly get cut off so you can't move around much, and then while you're standing around waiting to be able to move on, reinforcements keep popping up behind you. Ugh.
I played on Casual and that map is the most amount of units I had routed in the game with 6. Easily the worst in the game, dunno what they were thinking with that one.

I’m still really annoyed with how awful skirmishes and training missions are in this game. What’s the point in them when they scale with Alear’s level and have like 30 enemies? I can’t use the units that need training in the training missions because they’re scaled for my endgame team. So units just have to stay benched. It really sucks.

Here’s hoping we get a QOL patch that fixes those and other issues like not being able to equip skills in the ring chamber or having an actual way to grind support for characters other than Alear.

I played on Casual and that map is the most amount of units I had routed in the game with 6. Easily the worst in the game, dunno what they were thinking with that one.
You can equip skills in the ring chamber, press ZR while in the skill inheritance menu for a unit

You can also press ZR to see bond effects (including skills that can be inherited) in the arena when selecting an emblem to fight

You can equip skills in the ring chamber, press ZR while in the skill inheritance menu for a unit

You can also press ZR to see bond effects (including skills that can be inherited) in the arena when selecting an emblem to fight
Wow, really wish they made that more obvious.

Byleth paralogue was really interesting. Also two questions
1. Whats does the stats on green means?
2. Does the fortune reading does something? I tried and just got some flavor text

I stopped worrying about that after mid game, I too have a lot of charactes where in 2 o 3 levels only gained 1 point in 2 stats but so far those characters are still on top of the others with their stats

green stats means you are at the max

every class has a max for every stat

as for the fortune telling not 100% sure but pretty sure it doesn't do anything

The Leif paralogue! I'm in love! It has a remix of my favorite track in all of Fire Emblem (though much worse) and they chose this map. This map! Perhaps the most warp-skipped map of all time. Though if you play the original map normally, which I have done once and never again, I think it's the hardest map in any Fire Emblem game.

I am liking the game a lot but I gotta say this is one of the most unfriendliest games (that I've played)to people who deal with sensory overload like myself. I'm good with planning things out but there is just too much happening with the UI and other things that it just messes me up.

That's Chapter 15 down. Holy moly.

Emblem Corrin is going to be extremely useful.

At this point, I've encountered every Emblem except the twins. I guess I'm beyond the halfway point of the story by now.

Also, poor Veyle. :(

That's Chapter 15 down. Holy moly.

Emblem Corrin is going to be extremely useful.

At this point, I've encountered every Emblem except the twins. I guess I'm beyond the halfway point of the story by now.

Also, poor Veyle. :(
I haven't taken Corrin off of Alear since getting her. Being able to have access to all of the Dragon Vein skills is so good.

Chapter 19 was rough, the enemy outsmarted me this time, and it's a good thing. I always like when the AI actually put effort. Had to restart it and even knowing what would come had to rearrange some things in the party.

Okay, Chapter 17 is going to require some PREP, good lord:
I have to take out 6 bosses, and all six of them have over 20 in both defenses (except the armor tank RES)???

I apparently really need some characters with higher STR/MAG. I feel like there aren’t many in this game that have extremely good offensive stats, at least mine tend to lean more on speed, but that’s not super helpful when your enemies have massive defense and resist.

Where’s Lysithea when you need her?

Chapter 17 onwards is a pretty huge spike for the game in general. I'm super stuck on 18 right now after I finally got through 17. Not sure if I really have what it takes to beat it but I'm too prideful to drop the difficutly down so I might take a break for a bit and check if I have different ways to approach some of these levels.

The Leif paralogue! I'm in love! It has a remix of my favorite track in all of Fire Emblem (though much worse) and they chose this map. This map! Perhaps the most warp-skipped map of all time. Though if you play the original map normally, which I have done once and never again, I think it's the hardest map in any Fire Emblem game.
Just on the soundtrack note, I love that Ike’s paralogue uses a remix of ‘The Devoted’ from Radiant Dawn, which is an epic battle tune.

Just regarding difficulty, I found that keeping Byleth’s ability ‘goddess dance’ up your sleeve, which effectively refreshes all adjacent units as if a dancer had done so, so up to four units moving again, was a massive boost when you need to crash through a bosses hp bars quickly. Keep it on a unit with good movement so they can get to the front line, and plan the turn in advance so everyone gets in formation to maximise it.

Also the major army-wide heals (a fortify staff on someone with Micaiah to boost it, and Micaiah’s own ‘sacrifice’ ability) are worth keeping in reserve too.

Although I would hold back the fortify staff for the final battle. I’ll refrain from talking about the latter until more people have played it but I did really enjoy it.

As the instances with my units often missing 80%+ chances and instead getting hit with sub 30% enemy chances rose drastically on the weekend play sessions, my decision to drop to Normal paid off for me.

Shame, as i did like the general difficulty of Hard, but not with that RNG clownery.

That first Divine Paralogue was something. I am playing on Hard in my first run; can't imagine how that will be on Maddening.

One thing I find interesting with Engage is there will be a lot of variation in which emblem players prefer for Alear. I generally stuck with Lyn, as it made their speed so high that enemies struggled to hit me at all, even bosses. I used their special bow attack to pick off either an archer or long-range caster in a tricky position, and their doubles ability to run forward to bait bosses, call up the duplicates and watch the enemy just flail at them while I shot them to bits. It’s a great ability for choke points too.

Corrin’s terrain abilities were another choke-point hero, as was Ike’s Grand Aether (and how Ike makes the hero they are paired with an absolute unit). Towards the end I leaned on those three a lot to control the battlefield, but Lyn stuck with Alear all the way to the end.

I would definitely spend the bond shards on increasing bonds (and thus skill options too) with emblems in the arena, rather than buying/merging the lesser gacha rings. As you’re also likely going to have the right emblem rings and skills paired with your key units while the minor boosts of the gacha ones are pretty inconsequential and temporary in comparison.

Last edited:
One thing I find interesting with Engage is there will be a lot of variation in which emblem players prefer for Alear. I generally stuck with Lyn, as it made their speed so high that enemies struggled to hit me at all, even bosses. I used their special bow attack to pick off either an archer or long-range caster in a tricky position, and their doubles ability to run forward to bait bosses, call up the duplicates and watch the enemy just flail at them while I shot them to bits. It’s a great ability for choke points too.

Corrin’s terrain abilities were another choke-point hero, as was Ike’s Grand Aether (and how Ike makes the hero they are paired with an absolute unit). Towards the end I leaned on those three a lot to control the battlefield, but Lyn stuck with Alear all the way to the end.

Still rather early (chapter 7 done), but i swapped Marth for (DLC) Tiki now, had a few bad level ups with Alear and mine's currently lacking in Str a bit, but Tiki's basically like lifting up a truck and dropping it on someone's head.

Especially nice for those pesky multiple healthbar bosses.

Still rather early (chapter 7 done), but i swapped Marth for (DLC) Tiki now, had a few bad level ups with Alear and mine's currently lacking in Str a bit, but Tiki's basically like lifting up a truck and dropping it on someone's head.

Especially nice for those pesky multiple healthbar bosses.
Oh totally, it’s worth experimenting! I’m sure this thread will eventually be full of people who all found crazy strong character/class/emblem combos, there’s some that just felt broken compared to others to me, but then there’s so many possibilities and variables.

Another one for crashing through boss health bars- Celica’s ‘echo’ ability. If the boss only has a few hp left, use echo to strip them off with an attack. You’ll then get to attack again after their HP bar refills, so you aren’t wasting a single strong attack. Same goes for using it to pick off multiple enemies on low hp.

I've mostly used Alear with Byleth, Goddess Dance is IMO the strongest engage ability in the game and it's often too risky to frontline Alear so them having Byleth felt like a good choice, especially because the dragon class makes both Goddess Dance and Instruct better too.

Oh totally, it’s worth experimenting! I’m sure this thread will eventually be full of people who all found crazy strong character/class/emblem combos, there’s some that just felt broken compared to others to me, but then there’s so many possibilities and variables.

Another one for crashing through boss health bars- Celica’s ‘echo’ ability. If the boss only has a few hp left, use echo to strip them off with an attack. You’ll then get to attack again after their HP bar refills, so you aren’t wasting a single strong attack. Same goes for using it to pick off multiple enemies on low hp.

Which, on one hand is cool, but on the other hand it's a bit shitty to be creative when you get new Emblems even late into the story and (depending on your difficulty) are more or less short on resources.

Game would imo benefit from a slimmed down and streamlined version of Three Houses Monastery classes.

Which, on one hand is cool, but on the other hand it's a bit shitty to be creative when you get new Emblems even late into the story and (depending on your difficulty) are more or less short on resources.

Game would imo benefit from a slimmed down and streamlined version of Three Houses Monastery classes.
Yeah that’s fair. I went through on normal/classic, without doing any grinding, just main missions and paralogues (no DLC content either). I found the difficulty easy until act 3, and then it was about right through to the end. My next playthrough will be hard/classic now that I know what I’m doing.

If someone is still on the fence, I'm managing a giveway (download code, EU eShop):
FE Engage

Btw the game is SOOO GOOD, while the plot is SOOOO BLAND
haha

I've mostly used Alear with Byleth, Goddess Dance is IMO the strongest engage ability in the game and it's often too risky to frontline Alear so them having Byleth felt like a good choice, especially because the dragon class makes both Goddess Dance and Instruct better too.
That was my plan for anti-bossing later today. Put Byleth on Alear for either Goddess Dance or just boosting +3 to all stats to your whole army, then lead off with a safe ranged attacker with Corrin to proc the -4 stat debuff. Those two combined should make the higher defenses more manageable.

Btw i maxed Sommie friendship yesterday and read it's unlocked entry.

The "Dislikes" part ....

32169289107e647bd93d386fd9560e25_w200.gif

Just regarding difficulty, I found that keeping Byleth’s ability ‘goddess dance’ up your sleeve, which effectively refreshes all adjacent units as if a dancer had done so, so up to four units moving again, was a massive boost when you need to crash through a bosses hp bars quickly. Keep it on a unit with good movement so they can get to the front line, and plan the turn in advance so everyone gets in formation to maximise it.

Also the major army-wide heals (a fortify staff on someone with Micaiah to boost it, and Micaiah’s own ‘sacrifice’ ability) are worth keeping in reserve too.

Although I would hold back the fortify staff for the final battle. I’ll refrain from talking about the latter until more people have played it but I did really enjoy it.

as far as bosses go Corrin is super broken

can freeze a boss for multiple turns and take your time killing them

By the way, Sommie's affection will lower if you don't spend time with them for a bit. I think the only thing this affects is using Sommie during the minigames.

By the way, Sommie's affection will lower if you don't spend time with them for a bit. I think the only thing this affects is using Sommie during the minigames.

not sure exactly what it is but there's also a minimum affection for them to follow you around when walking around the base if you care about that

affection also affects how many bond fragments you get from feeding or petting them

Corrin in general is ridiculously useful on Alear compared to pretty much any other ring. Being able to change a chunk of terrain to anything you'd like for a turn (especially fire and ice) single Handedly turns a lot of tough situations in to manageable ones. I can't see myself taking Corrins ring off them ever.

That sounds cool! I didn’t even try Corrin (or several of the others) on Alear but I really should have done for the boost for dragon units. I tried out Marth, Lyn, Ike, Leif and Eireka before sticking with Lyn.

I'm likely not going to stick with it, but Byleth on Jade gives a really strong defense buff for Instruct.

Corrin in general is ridiculously useful on Alear compared to pretty much any other ring. Being able to change a chunk of terrain to anything you'd like for a turn (especially fire and ice) single Handedly turns a lot of tough situations in to manageable ones. I can't see myself taking Corrins ring off them ever.

personally I have mine on Yunaka and use her with fog as a sort of advance scout that moves in front of other units to get enemies to move closer and such

she's fallen off offensively over time so can't really kill stuff anymore but is still one of my best units between that and the aforementioned boss freezing(and her avoid and 1-2 range are helpful for applying the dreadful aura to the boss without dying doing so)

Man, this game makes me wish that you could deploy just a few more units. There are some really cool characters that I'd like to play around with but I'm stuck deploying the same ones again and again because they others have fallen behind.

Man, this game makes me wish that you could deploy just a few more units. There are some really cool characters that I'd like to play around with but I'm stuck deploying the same ones again and again because they others have fallen behind.
What would be cool would be if you could select the level of a skirmish to actually be appropriate to the force you want to deploy. Probably by selecting units first and then having it recalculate the enemy units or something

Next playthrough, I am definitely going to make more of an effort to max out the support between Alcryst and Lapis. Those two really are a perfect for each other.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Kotaku has spoiled the ending of the game on twitter lmao. So shoutout to them.
If I am seeing the tweet you're talking about, that isn't the ending of the game.

They're talking about a later chapter, but it's not the final chapter nor the final sequence. Still a spoiler, but a pretty predictable one.

Beat Ch18 and 19 quickly after so I did end up making some progress today. 20 seems rough but doable but I'm expecting a spike closer to the end again.

Pandreo and Goldmary have subvert my expectations lol. I went in with an idea of their personality based on the early clips, but I was very wrong.

The SP system in this game feels like it needs changes. You gain far too little for how expensive some of the skills are. In fact I'm pretty sure there's skills you can't even reasonably get enough sp for at ALL in one playthrough and they're not even gamebreaking ones.

The SP system in this game feels like it needs changes. You gain far too little for how expensive some of the skills are. In fact I'm pretty sure there's skills you can't even reasonably get enough sp for at ALL in one playthrough and they're not even gamebreaking ones.
This is what I've been wondering. I've been saving SP all game (still haven't spent any of it on anyone) but it's because I thought I'd be able to get some really good stuff later on if I saved, but now it's looking like I'll never be able to afford something that costs 4000-5000 in literally my entire playthrough, which is absurd.

One way they could help get rid of the decision paralysis (other than just make skills much cheaper) is if they did it sort of like the Statue upgrades in Three Houses: Every skill you purchase from an emblem makes all other skills from that emblem lower in cost by that amount. Or... something like that? Maybe they could let you sell skills back? I don't know. Basically as it is the SP skill purchase system is far too restrictive and limiting. Case in point in particular being the stat-ups: I could buy Speed +2 early on and that'd be useful, but what if later I want to upgrade it to Speed +3 or Speed +4? I don't want to waste points on Speed +2 if it's going to be obsolete later on, so I'd better save my points, but then it'll take forever to save up for something like Speed +4 so the actual result is that I end up doing absolutely nothing and not interacting with the system at all. Which just seems like terrible design.

I don’t know how I feel about bosses having two (or more, I’m assuming it will be more in future chapters) healthbars essentially. While I appreciate the challenge, it feels kind of cheap. I make the right choices while fighting them, still, its not my favourite choice.
I actually disagree on this point, and feel that bosses should be made even more threatening lol. Either give them even more health (which will definitely happen later) or give them AOE attacks that can hit multiple characters at once. Right now you basically just bumrush them to wipe out all their health bars in a single turn before they can retaliate, or even if they survive, they only get one attack, probably don't kill anyone if you're playing carefully, and then die. Either what I mentioned or having multiple enemies next to each other would be fine, just so that you can't gang up on one unit to wipe them out of existence

Back
Top Bottom