• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Fire Emblem Engage |ST| Your Hidden Desire to Have Neon Joy-Con-Coloured Hair. Mark spoilers!

Ike's Engage attack is absurdly good if you have high enough defenses. Just throw your tank out into the middle of a room and as long as they don't die, they do probably minimum half damage (or outright kill) everything that attacked them and fully heal. And then the rest of your army can run in and mop up easily. It's saved my ass multiple times now.
Yeah I’ve got him paired up with Diamant, the range of weapon options and push up to a two-square range on Ragnell really rounds out the usual limitations on sword units of only having a Levin Sword for range and terrible magic abilities to make use of it. I do much the same in terms of sending him out to aggro a ton of enemies and then watch them die at the start of the next turn. His max kills so far was 4 enemy units at once plus sending another two down to minimal hp.

On chapter 23 now, the end is in sight!

Ike's Engage attack is absurdly good if you have high enough defenses. Just throw your tank out into the middle of a room and as long as they don't die, they do probably minimum half damage (or outright kill) everything that attacked them and fully heal. And then the rest of your army can run in and mop up easily. It's saved my ass multiple times now.
The only problem is that it seems to me like the enemies sometimes actively avoid you/run away when you use great aether lol

Or maybe that's only a thing on maddening? But it's not consistent

The only problem is that it seems to me like the enemies sometimes actively avoid you/run away when you use great aether lol

Or maybe that's only a thing on maddening? But it's not consistent
It does seem to be inconsistent (I'm on hard) but as long as he's the only target for most enemies they'll usually go straight for him. If there's another target that's not as tough they'll usually go for that one, though. I don't think the enemy actively avoids him if he's using great aether, unless that is a maddening-only thing.

It does seem to be inconsistent (I'm on hard) but as long as he's the only target for most enemies they'll usually go straight for him. If there's another target that's not as tough they'll usually go for that one, though. I don't think the enemy actively avoids him if he's using great aether, unless that is a maddening-only thing.
To be honest if I saw a grinning hero standing with Ike, while holding some ludicrous weapon and some big AoE starting to flare around them, I’d go stab the healer a few squares over instead too :D

there's a maddening thing where enemies ignore units they'll do 0 damage on or have a 0% chance to hit

which considering great aether raises defenses as well could cause units to avoid someone using it

there's a maddening thing where enemies ignore units they'll do 0 damage on or have a 0% chance to hit

which considering great aether raises defenses as well could cause units to avoid someone using it
Ah, that would do it. Does it apply even if they have nothing else to attack? They'll just walk by and do nothing instead?

Even on hard, though, you have to be careful with backup units, since the followup attacks seem to ignore defense and always do 3-4 damage. I've nearly died to those piling up despite taking zero damage from all the actual attacks several times.

Ah, that would do it. Does it apply even if they have nothing else to attack? They'll just walk by and do nothing instead?

Even on hard, though, you have to be careful with backup units, since the followup attacks seem to ignore defense and always do 3-4 damage. I've nearly died to those piling up despite taking zero damage from all the actual attacks several times.
I’ve had that where one of my units got cornered by a pile of enemies, and the follow-up attacks were quickly pulling them down even though they were tanking the main hits. the only friendly units that could help them would have been killed trying to do so (fliers vs archers) and I didn’t want to go back several turns. I eventually just pulled the rescue staff out of the convoy and used that to get a (presumably very grateful!) armour unit back to the main group.

Last edited:
Even in Hard they may not neccesarily attack your Great Aether. I usually have another tank bait near the Aether user to guarantee a good use. I sometimes use my Goldmary for that as mines is defensive enough to rarely take more than 5 damage but not enough to be immune and while not being a dodge god can dodge 45-50% of attacks. A great target for selective AI.

Some of the arena quotes are quite funny depending on who you get as your opponent.
Diamant: “I am Diamant, prince of Brodia.”
Alcryst: “I am Alcryst, the prince of Brodia that isn’t Diamant.”

Also Jean’s “Should I really be here?” always cracks me up when he’s facing off against someone in full armour and armed to the teeth.

Some of the arena quotes are quite funny depending on who you get as your opponent.
Diamant: “I am Diamant, prince of Brodia.”
Alcryst: “I am Alcryst, the prince of Brodia that isn’t Diamant.”

Also Jean’s “Should I really be here?” always cracks me up when he’s facing off against someone in full armour and armed to the teeth.
Jean, level 3: Should I really be here?
Level 20 Diamant about to punt him into next week:

I think I've replaced Framme with Pandreo as my healer (I don't have any fistfighters now which sucks but we'll see how that goes), I just...really wish I could change his hairstyle. I can see Panette sticking around too.

Did chapter 14 last night and brought Amber back because I like him. He had to sit out for a good while because of all the mandatory new units, so he was lagging behind everyone (only one on my team for that map still in his base class, and level 12 or 13 at that - I could have promoted him but I wasn't set on what to do with him), but his crits ended up making him MVP. Alpaca power!

Relay Trial Extravaganza

That's right, I have too many Relay Tickets, so I started a bunch. Feel free to jump in and fail, you can't lose units in Trials. Since the public trials seem to be bugged, using codes is all that works now.

• Verdant Plain: 629MY6J
  • Floral Field: 1CN478B
  • Mountain Peak: 282GY03
  • Winter Forest: 6C3BFR2
  • Desert Dunes: 5LL2YK3

I still have 10 tickets after this lol

Last edited:
On chapter 25 now. The whole main cut scene direction, plot and script continues to circle the drain in its formulaic nonsense. Literally every scene is dozens of powerful people with fantastical abilities standing around while the NPCs turn up, monologue, threaten them, steal items, attack people and then walk away. Meanwhile the entire cast manages to just offer the occasional half-hearted ‘nooo!’ or ‘you can’t do that!’ or ‘blah blah power of friendship!’ or ‘wait!’, as if interrupting the enemy force at any point to do anything other than passive witnessing is somehow not feasible. It’s just ridiculous. I get that it’s a battle game and thus conflicts are resolved in battle, but the formula of the cut scenes, that your entire army of wizards and paladins and fliers and a dragon are all somehow stunned into only being a passive audience for the performances of the enemy clown squad, is just tedious. Shame really- I quite like the main villain and his design in both humanoid and monster form, I just wish his minions would piss off after I’ve beaten them at least three times already and they always get away.

Late game scenes about how the four hounds were like a family are utterly silly and fall completely flat too. As does, as was foreseeable 14 chapters ago, bringing up Alear’s dead mother figure again. Once again making it weird how Alear was so quick to shut down and apologise for Alcryst daring to just shout at Ivy for the death and raising of his dad, but when the main character’s parentage predictably takes centre stage, the world has to stop for that. Dire storytelling.

Still, I’ve enjoyed every single battle, the late game ones are still introducing new ideas and hazards, it’s definitely the strongest part of the game. Every single main encounter and paralogue has been a blast. It also really helps that bosses are more mobile, have multiple HP bars stopping them dying to a strong character in a single round, there can be multiple ones and that some can also use emblems. It makes them way less forgettable than when an enemy general is introduced but dies in one round almost as an afterthought to you wiping their force out.

Last edited:
Relay Trial Extravaganza

That's right, I have too many Relay Tickets, so I started a bunch. Feel free to jump in and fail, you can't lose units in Trials. Since the public trials seem to be bugged, using codes is all that works now.

• Verdant Plain: 629MY6J
  • Floral Field: 1CN478B
  • Mountain Peak: 282GY03
  • Winter Forest: 6C3BFR2
  • Desert Dunes: 5LL2YK3

I still have 10 tickets after this lol
I've done my part in helping in all 5 (one of these I even managed to straight up finish). I really bungled the last one though, so good luck to whoever picks that up.

I'll go ahead and repost my code and add a new one too
8DKWMH4
47LCPY0

i'm on hard myself so can't say for sure whether it's a 100% of the time thing but yeah from what I hear on maddening they'll just walk around units they can't damage even if there's nothing else in range

On chapter 25 now. The whole main cut scene direction, plot and script continues to circle the drain in its formulaic nonsense. Literally every scene is dozens of powerful people with fantastical abilities standing around while the NPCs turn up, monologue, threaten them, steal items, attack people and then walk away. Meanwhile the entire cast manages to just offer the occasional half-hearted ‘nooo!’ or ‘you can’t do that!’ or ‘blah blah power of friendship!’ or ‘wait!’, as if interrupting the enemy force at any point to do anything other than passive witnessing is somehow not feasible. It’s just ridiculous. I get that it’s a battle game and thus conflicts are resolved in battle, but the formula of the cut scenes, that your entire army of wizards and paladins and fliers and a dragon are all somehow stunned into only being a passive audience for the performances of the enemy clown squad, is just tedious. Shame really- I quite like the main villain and his design in both humanoid and monster form, I just wish his minions would piss off after I’ve beaten them at least three times already and they always get away.

They seriously need to talk to someone at monolith soft about cutscene direction. The difference between what is essentially a bunch of talking heads here that might occasionally rotate a model (the legs will be off screen to hide this, lol) is ridiculous.

They seriously need to talk to someone at monolith soft about cutscene direction. The difference between what is essentially a bunch of talking heads here that might occasionally rotate a model (the legs will be off screen to hide this, lol) is ridiculous.
It’s just silly when you are also reading the supports and they read like they are put together by an entirely different team. By the end you’ve got a team of several dozen characters, at least half of which are dynamic, confident, impulsive or stubborn enough (and major heroes in their own right!) to not just stand around while a single enemy NPC somehow manages to make ~36 heroes unable to move or interrupt at any point. It’s like you go from a fantasy general, leading an army, that’s had personal pep talks from a dozen mythic figures, to just one unarmed, unsure person in the cut scenes as if the dozens of heroes sworn to support you are all on a tea break or something whenever some random clown turns up to mock the force again.

It’s like, what exactly were the more confident leaders and warriors (Diamant, Vander, Jade, Timerra, Saphir, amongst many others) and their troops doing when the people that trashed their countries are monologuing? Just because the Divine One is unable to make a decision to act somehow means all the more competent characters have to carry the idiot ball too, just so they don’t overshadow the lead. I don’t get how you can have a team put together an amazing fantasy battle game with an expansive, varied and interesting cast, good visuals and music, great and fresh combat mechanics following a thirty year franchise history, but have the main story, script and cut scenes be this bad. I realise I keep banging on about it but they are so formulaic and bookend each chapter and never change.

Last edited:
I've done my part in helping in all 5 (one of these I even managed to straight up finish). I really bungled the last one though, so good luck to whoever picks that up.

I'll go ahead and repost my code and add a new one too
8DKWMH4
47LCPY0
Thanks! I'll check out yours too.

Nice to see that you get Skill Book rewards from these, seems like all the heavy SP costs may have been balanced around doing Trials.

I've definitely had enemies walk straight up to me and then do nothing lol
I've had back up enemies do that and then their allies with 0% hit/0 damage run a train on Louis or Yunaka trying to kill them with back up chip. The fact the enemy ai realizes they can do even on hard mode generally impresses me.

It’s just silly when you are also reading the supports and they read like they are put together by an entirely different team. By the end you’ve got a team of several dozen characters, at least half of which are dynamic, confident, impulsive or stubborn enough (and major heroes in their own right!) to not just stand around while a single enemy NPC somehow manages to make ~36 heroes unable to move or interrupt at any point. It’s like you go from a fantasy general, leading an army, that’s had personal pep talks from a dozen mythic figures, to just one unarmed, unsure person in the cut scenes as if the dozens of heroes sworn to support you are all on a tea break or something whenever some random clown turns up to mock the force again.

It’s like, what exactly were the more confident leaders and warriors (Diamant, Vander, Jade, Timerra, Saphir, amongst many others) and their troops doing when the people that trashed their countries are monologuing? Just because the Divine One is unable to make a decision to act somehow means all the more competent characters have to carry the idiot ball too, just so they don’t overshadow the lead. I don’t get how you can have a team put together an amazing fantasy battle game with an expansive, varied and interesting cast, good visuals and music, great and fresh combat mechanics following a thirty year franchise history, but have the main story, script and cut scenes be this bad. I realise I keep banging on about it but they are so formulaic and bookend each chapter and never change.
It seems like the general idea is that characters are supposedly talking to each other from across the battlefield, given that’s where everyone starts once the battle begins. It’s a pretty goofy explanation, but I’m assuming that was the intention.

Certainly doesn’t make the story any better.

The Chapter 9 intro CG had some good combat choreography in it, that looked decent

But nothing in this game so far has anything on the choreography we got in Three Hopes, and that's a spin-off

I know this game is designed to get right down to the battling but the battle themselves - is it very strategic, as in, this isn’t a great game to mellow out to?

I know this game is designed to get right down to the battling but the battle themselves - is it very strategic, as in, this isn’t a great game to mellow out to?
Hard required thought, if you play on Normal it might be better for that.

Silly question, but this always confuses me. I think I want Amber as a Great Knight for the strength growths and movement, but as he’s a Lance Cavalier he can’t currently promote to that with a Master Seal. Am I right in thinking his best move is to Master Seal to Paladin and then I can Second Seal into Great Knight? Or does he have to move into an Armour class before he can ever go Great Knight (since it wants Armour level 10 currently which is why it’s greyed out).

I just feel like I should be doing more than picking the one advanced class option that’s instantly available for everyone.

So, even on hard we get a lot of skirmishes, or at least early in the game. Nice 😎
Warming a lot on different characters too.

I’ve definitely settled down on the cast a bit. They still pale in comparison to Three Houses, but I’d say they’re on par with Awakening and Fates. Nothing too deep, but they’re generally inoffensive at worst and genuinely fun at best. Rosado and Pandreo in particular have really stood out to me.

Story though? Yeah, I still got nothing.

Silly question, but this always confuses me. I think I want Amber as a Great Knight for the strength growths and movement, but as he’s a Lance Cavalier he can’t currently promote to that with a Master Seal. Am I right in thinking his best move is to Master Seal to Paladin and then I can Second Seal into Great Knight? Or does he have to move into an Armour class before he can ever go Great Knight (since it wants Armour level 10 currently which is why it’s greyed out).

I just feel like I should be doing more than picking the one advanced class option that’s instantly available for everyone.

Yes, make Paladin, get any weapon prof from emblems, then second seal to great knight.

Managed to finish chapter 15 through 17. Now with the dance I finally had to rethink my party as having him and Byleth special ability to recover the actions, having 5 units to move again just make crusing through the maps very fast. This helped a lot through Lyndis paralogue at the end as just reactivated 4 units and rushed to beat her. Also on Pannete is amazing, can't help to think her makeup remembers me of a light mexican catrina version

Yes, as long as you have the weapon prof, once you are in advanced class you can second seal to another one

after 15ish hours. Writing wise, Im very impressed how boring they made a game about bringing back past Heroes from Fire emblem titles.

And some of my criticism also relates to Gameplay sense with the Heroes, they’re just really a “skin” on the battle Field, could have the same mechanics so far without them. Probably would’ve prefer what they had going with Awkawning with the outer-realms thingy.

It’s strange. It’s like they wanted a new cast and new Fire emblem title. But also a celebration title and combined both without giving enough time to either side. Still have a bit to play, so perhaps surprises are incoming.

Yes, make Paladin, get any weapon prof from emblems, then second seal to great knight.
Yes, as long as you have the weapon prof, once you are in advanced class you can second seal to another one
Thanks both! I can’t remember if there’s a level requirement for second seal but I’m guessing I should second seal ASAP. I’ve seen people say they reclassed him differently to fix his low speed but I feel like I might as well lean into it and go for bulk and strength instead.

Thanks both! I can’t remember if there’s a level requirement for second seal but I’m guessing I should second seal ASAP. I’ve seen people say they reclassed him differently to fix his low speed but I feel like I might as well lean into it and go for bulk and strength instead.
Yes there is no level req to use the second seal, so it really depends if you want to minmax the unit stats or just go directly to the one you want.

Also was having some issues with one of the paralogues ( I think it was Eirikas) and forgot about the tonics. It really makes the difference to prebuff your units for the upcoming battle, as having +2 makes the difference between leaving the enemy with 3 hp or killing him (or in case of your mages +5 hp having them living). Put Ike on your tank, tonic them with def (and res if there are mages), send them to the front and use Ike special ability for quick kills.

Yes there is no level req to use the second seal, so it really depends if you want to minmax the unit stats or just go directly to the one you want.
Oh that’s true. I think second seals let you “prestige” a class though and basically go back to level 1, so you can effectively level past the cap. Can’t decide if I should do a few Paladin levels and assume he’ll hit Great Knight cap right at the end, or just go all in on Great Knight. I’m sure either way is fine though.

Also I have not been Emblem training. Doing it with him to get proficiency allowed him to pick up some really useful stat boost inheritance skills - so maybe I’ll start using the bond fragments I’m just sitting on lol.

Oh that’s true. I think second seals let you “prestige” a class though and basically go back to level 1, so you can effectively level past the cap. Can’t decide if I should do a few Paladin levels and assume he’ll hit Great Knight cap right at the end, or just go all in on Great Knight. I’m sure either way is fine though.

Also I have not been Emblem training. Doing it with him to get proficiency allowed him to pick up some really useful stat boost inheritance skills - so maybe I’ll start using the bond fragments I’m just sitting on lol.
Thats the other part, you can get speed, avoid or oher boost stats through inheritance, so you could get them and just change immediately

Also was having some issues with one of the paralogues ( I think it was Eirikas) and forgot about the tonics. It really makes the difference to prebuff your units for the upcoming battle, as having +2 makes the difference between leaving the enemy with 3 hp or killing him (or in case of your mages +5 hp having them living). Put Ike on your tank, tonic them with def (and res if there are mages), send them to the front and use Ike special ability for quick kills.
Just finished the final battle, and yeah I had a ton of cash at the end so just had everyone line up and drink res tonics, plus final weapon upgrades, engraving everything, plus strength training and a hearty roast dinner.
“Come here and take your medicine.” :D

This was a really fun Paralogue that kept the spirit of the Three Houses chapter it emulates. Protecting the crystals for extra rewards was a nice touch.

Spending a weekend with Engage, here are some thoughts;

- I really, really appreciate the focus on gameplay. FE’s core has always been rock solid and the team at Intelligent Systems really perfected it in Engage. Game is pretty addictive.

- The ring gimmick has been cool. You do need them at times as the enemies push back with enough force, with the challenge being just right. I’m playing on normal, as I’m not a glutton for punishment. So the rings are bringing a nice extra to the battle.

- I don’t know how I feel about bosses having two (or more, I’m assuming it will be more in future chapters) healthbars essentially. While I appreciate the challenge, it feels kind of cheap. I make the right choices while fighting them, still, its not my favourite choice.

- The Somiel is kind of boring. While it has some cool features… it doesn’t do much of anything. I do like the ring crafting stuff. Its one of the few things that make it special.

- Story beats have never been a constant in the series, but I think Engage kind of knows this. It wants to use the history of the series to let characters return and that’s about it. That’s the plan and nothing more.

Just finished the final battle, and yeah I had a ton of cash at the end so just had everyone line up and drink res tonics, plus final weapon upgrades, engraving everything, plus strength training and a hearty roast dinner.
“Come here and take your medicine.” :D
I've been waiting for someone to say they finished so I could ask them if there is any post game stuff, haha.

I know there's no NG+ but early on there were a handful of rumours flying around that you could replay any map on a completed file, but I tried looking it up to see if anyone else mentioned it and I presume whoever started that rumour was a dirty liar, because I couldn't see anyone else mentioning it when I tried looking earlier.

Did chapter 10/11 today.

I kind want to have chapter 10/11 with diferent out comes with all Emblems DLC XD would be funny

Oh no,,, any way...

I've been waiting for someone to say they finished so I could ask them if there is any post game stuff, haha.

I know there's no NG+ but early on there were a handful of rumours flying around that you could replay any map on a completed file, but I tried looking it up to see if anyone else mentioned it and I presume whoever started that rumour was a dirty liar, because I couldn't see anyone else mentioning it when I tried looking earlier.
Not as far as I could see, although once the credits rolled, I checked for NG+ options and then put it away. I think the final save puts you just before the final boss, there was a tooltip that popped up about that.

You get some postgame rewards (money) and unlock higher level Tempest Trials. You can also rewatch the credits.

That's it that I've found, you can still do skirmishes and level up folks and gain supports.

I just finished the Sigurd paralogue and I am h*cking mad that
after the battle, they didn't have Emblem Sigurd floating in the same spot that you can talk to Sigurd's ghost in FE4. Also, I of course made sure to kill Sigurd with fire.

I absolutely hate the post battle talking sections, I know I don’t have to do them and can just leave but I feel like I’m missing out if I don’t.

those are about knowing what you can skip without missing anything

any metal etc show up on the map and even the flavor text that is actually story relevant is marked on the map with speech bubbles

the generic comments that give bond fragments? the game automatically just gives you any bond fragments from those if you don't talk to them when you leave the area

there's also a few villagers after the chapter 12 map that give you items if you talk to them so make sure to do that as well

Byleth paralogue was really interesting. Also two questions
1. Whats does the stats on green means?
2. Does the fortune reading does something? I tried and just got some flavor text

I feel like I'm getting really screwed with level-ups on
Ivy.
She's had several level-ups recently with only 2 stats growing
I stopped worrying about that after mid game, I too have a lot of charactes where in 2 o 3 levels only gained 1 point in 2 stats but so far those characters are still on top of the others with their stats

Back
Top Bottom