• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Fire Emblem Engage |ST| Your Hidden Desire to Have Neon Joy-Con-Coloured Hair. Mark spoilers!

The SP system in this game feels like it needs changes. You gain far too little for how expensive some of the skills are. In fact I'm pretty sure there's skills you can't even reasonably get enough sp for at ALL in one playthrough and they're not even gamebreaking ones.

This is what I've been wondering. I've been saving SP all game (still haven't spent any of it on anyone) but it's because I thought I'd be able to get some really good stuff later on if I saved, but now it's looking like I'll never be able to afford something that costs 4000-5000 in literally my entire playthrough, which is absurd.

One way they could help get rid of the decision paralysis (other than just make skills much cheaper) is if they did it sort of like the Statue upgrades in Three Houses: Every skill you purchase from an emblem makes all other skills from that emblem lower in cost by that amount. Or... something like that? Maybe they could let you sell skills back? I don't know. Basically as it is the SP skill purchase system is far too restrictive and limiting. Case in point in particular being the stat-ups: I could buy Speed +2 early on and that'd be useful, but what if later I want to upgrade it to Speed +3 or Speed +4? I don't want to waste points on Speed +2 if it's going to be obsolete later on, so I'd better save my points, but then it'll take forever to save up for something like Speed +4 so the actual result is that I end up doing absolutely nothing and not interacting with the system at all. Which just seems like terrible design.
You can earn SP books from the Tempest Trials and Relay Trials, I'm actually swimming in them now in the postgame. They can add 100, 500, or 1000 SP to a character.

I'm not sure if you only unlock them after beating the game though, as I only messed with Trials after beating it. The Relay Trials I've finished do say all players get them, but I'm not sure if that's a display oversight or not.

This is what I've been wondering. I've been saving SP all game (still haven't spent any of it on anyone) but it's because I thought I'd be able to get some really good stuff later on if I saved, but now it's looking like I'll never be able to afford something that costs 4000-5000 in literally my entire playthrough, which is absurd.

One way they could help get rid of the decision paralysis (other than just make skills much cheaper) is if they did it sort of like the Statue upgrades in Three Houses: Every skill you purchase from an emblem makes all other skills from that emblem lower in cost by that amount. Or... something like that? Maybe they could let you sell skills back? I don't know. Basically as it is the SP skill purchase system is far too restrictive and limiting. Case in point in particular being the stat-ups: I could buy Speed +2 early on and that'd be useful, but what if later I want to upgrade it to Speed +3 or Speed +4? I don't want to waste points on Speed +2 if it's going to be obsolete later on, so I'd better save my points, but then it'll take forever to save up for something like Speed +4 so the actual result is that I end up doing absolutely nothing and not interacting with the system at all. Which just seems like terrible design.

the ones with tiers actually do make later tiers in that skill cheaper by a corresponding amount(ie: if you buy that speed+2 it makes +3 and +4 the 300 you spent on +2 cheaper to buy)

I actually disagree on this point, and feel that bosses should be made even more threatening lol. Either give them even more health (which will definitely happen later) or give them AOE attacks that can hit multiple characters at once. Right now you basically just bumrush them to wipe out all their health bars in a single turn before they can retaliate, or even if they survive, they only get one attack, probably don't kill anyone if you're playing carefully, and then die. Either what I mentioned or having multiple enemies next to each other would be fine, just so that you can't gang up on one unit to wipe them out of existence
Bosses can be like that, but I have found plenty of them to be very threatening as-is. Not too hard to kill them, but to do so without losing any units. Especially if they have ranged attacks and can retaliate against anyone, like Ike's 1-2 range sword for example.

At least for my playstyle, which is playing on Classic Hard but never allowing myself to lose a unit, it turns them into sort of a challenging puzzle, and a few of them have been brutal.

You can earn SP books from the Tempest Trials and Relay Trials, I'm actually swimming in them now in the postgame. They can add 100, 500, or 1000 SP to a character.

I'm not sure if you only unlock them after beating the game though, as I only messed with Trials after beating it. The Relay Trials I've finished do say all players get them, but I'm not sure if that's a display oversight or not.
Oh really? Trials are like the one thing I haven't messed with yet, they just seemed like they'd be extremely long for not a lot of payoff and I'd rather just do story content for now, but that's good to know.
the ones with tiers actually do make later ones in that tier cheaper by a corresponding amount(ie: if you buy that speed+2 it makes +3 and +4 the 300 you spent on +2 cheaper to buy)
That's great to know! But also kind of annoying, since unless I missed it the game doesn't tell you this at all. I probably should have just tried saving beforehand and then buying one to see what happened, but oh well. Still doesn't solve the whole problem by any means, but that's at least nice.

I do understand why they made SP so hard to earn. If you could splurge on basically any skill you wanted, there would be no incentive to buy anything but a select few universally good skills for everyone. You have to pick and choose for your strategy.

I do understand why they made SP so hard to earn. If you could splurge on basically any skill you wanted, there would be no incentive to buy anything but a select few universally good skills for everyone. You have to pick and choose for your strategy.
I think the SP difficulty has actually lead to the situation you described; the meta strat for SP is just to put Canter on everyone, apparently

What would be cool would be if you could select the level of a skirmish to actually be appropriate to the force you want to deploy. Probably by selecting units first and then having it recalculate the enemy units or something
That would be nice, wouldn't it? I'm on Chapter 14 I believe and I still haven't done a skirmish. They're popping up actually a bit higher than my current levels for the characters I've been using the most, meaning that the ones on my bench would be super underleveled. The skirmishes need some adjusting I think.

I think the SP difficulty has actually lead to the situation you described; the meta strat for SP is just to put Canter on everyone, apparently
Yup, that’s exactly what I did. Having quite a bit of fun with it too.

Not sure why it’s so cheap relative to the other major skills though.

... in Ike's paralogue, do the reinforcements ever stop? It's spawning like, 12 units a turn and there's no way to get to Ike and I've been turtling for what seems like forever, hoping I can wear them down, but they just keep coming.

Is there any point in putting work into early game units other than Anna? I'm in chapter 12 (hard), and the units I'm picking up totally outclass my old units (tanks Louis and Yunaka excluded).

Last edited:
I've mostly used Alear with Byleth, Goddess Dance is IMO the strongest engage ability in the game and it's often too risky to frontline Alear so them having Byleth felt like a good choice, especially because the dragon class makes both Goddess Dance and Instruct better too.
Same. As soon as I unlocked Byleth I gave him to Alear and never liked back. Goddess Dance is hella broken and has let me cheese some bosses.

... in Ike's paralogue, do the reinforcements ever stop? It's spawning like, 12 units a turn and there's no way to get to Ike and I've been turtling for what seems like forever, hoping I can wear them down, but they just keep coming.
Which difficulty are you on?

When I advanced forces around to the sides of the castle, Ike eventually began to move. But I'm on Normal and the reinforcements weren't nearly so severe.

Which difficulty are you on?

When I advanced forces around to the sides of the castle, Ike eventually began to move. But I'm on Normal and the reinforcements weren't nearly so severe.

Maddening, which may have made them keep spawning until it hit some maximum enemy number it allowed on the map. I eventually lucked out and he decided to move because all the other melee units on his side finally died before the reinforcements from the top and left could join them, and he graciously took the space from an archer.
it looked utterly ridiculous once I actually managed to get him to move somewhere I could hit him, see the screenshots

(I had killed dozens of enemies just to get him to move to his current position)
FnvnBlBaAAIOz6H

FnvnBlDaMAAmJ6T

Maddening, which may have made them keep spawning until it hit some maximum enemy number it allowed on the map. I eventually lucked out and he decided to move because all the other melee units on his side finally died before the reinforcements from the top and left could join them, and he graciously took the space from an archer.
it looked utterly ridiculous once I actually managed to get him to move somewhere I could hit him, see the screenshots

(I had killed dozens of enemies just to get him to move to his current position)
FnvnBlBaAAIOz6H

FnvnBlDaMAAmJ6T
Good Christ. Maddening lives up to its name!

FnvnBlBaAAIOz6H

FnvnBlDaMAAmJ6T
Some maps will also do this on Hard, I learned the hard way that this game isn't afraid to punish defensive playstyles like this.

FnvnBlBaAAIOz6H

FnvnBlDaMAAmJ6T
Holy shit, did your Switch survive this? I'd be worried about it bursting into flames

On Hard, at least, they started showing up often enough that I abandoned the idea of clearing the map and just made a beeline for Ike to finish it, but this is really something else.

Some maps will also do this on Hard, I learned the hard way that this game isn't afraid to punish defensive playstyles like this.
Yeah it's really challenging my "every map is a kill all map" philosophy

Holy shit, did your Switch survive this? I'd be worried about it bursting into flames

In all seriousness, Barely. Every enemy turn had long gaps of nothing happening while it just sat there doing nothing trying to work out that every unit couldn't do anything. I used the skip option once and it just went to a black screen for what felt like a solid two minutes.

FnvnBlBaAAIOz6H

FnvnBlDaMAAmJ6T
Now I'm happy I'm playing this in normal

For skills, I just gave everyone Canter and mentorship (Byleth x1.2 exp buff) and haven't thought about it since. I was tempted to give everyone reposition from Ike as well, but I've not need to do so yet.
I know you can only equip two skills so you're probably meant to think about it hard and just choose two specific skills, but it's so limiting with how little SP you get that nobody is going to commit and do any experimentation really.
It probably says a lot about my brain that my first thought here wasn't "oh my goodness that's horrific," but instead "oh I bet it would feel very nice to use Sigurd's engage attack across the bottom row of archers"

Yeah, it definitely would, it'd get the unit doing it killed, but I wish I'd thought of it at the time just to save it as a video and say I did it.

the ones with tiers actually do make later tiers in that skill cheaper by a corresponding amount(ie: if you buy that speed+2 it makes +3 and +4 the 300 you spent on +2 cheaper to buy)
Wait, so is it better to buy them in ascending order? I’ve been saving up to get the most expensive stat boost skills first since they’ll have more impact. I guess it doesn’t matter since I’ll never stack them.

Is there any point in putting work into early game units other than Anna? I'm in chapter 12 (hard), and the units I'm picking up totally outclass my old units (tanks Louis and Yunaka excluded).
I’m only on chapter 15/16 but I’m still using Clanne and Chloe and sometimes Celine, plus several Brodians. It depends on their level up luck, Emblem/Bond rings, etc.

It may bite me in the ass that I’m ignoring a few clearly powerful units just now but so far it’s been manageable. At the very least you don’t have to worry about spell lists being different for each unit.

Here are some Hard Relay Trial codes for anybody looking for a dip:
  • Vicious Volcano: 5CT25T0
  • Desert Dunes: 7R34DD0
  • Winter Forest: 80X690W

Can units die in Relay or Tempest Trials? I haven't touched them but am wondering if I should.

And can I really ruin people's day in Relay if I'm a flop? I am not a good FE player though I am tentatively tiptoeing through Hard.

I’m only on chapter 15/16 but I’m still using Clanne and Chloe and sometimes Celine, plus several Brodians. It depends on their level up luck, Emblem/Bond rings, etc.

It may bite me in the ass that I’m ignoring a few clearly powerful units just now but so far it’s been manageable. At the very least you don’t have to worry about spell lists being different for each unit.
Celine is… weird. Her advanced class is nice since it can use swords, tomes, and staffs, and her stats for me are very high overall, but unfortunately part of the reason for that is that she has 17 in both STR and MAG. Her class skill helps utilize that but it relies on DEX to trigger, so overall she feels like a character that’s trying to do too many things and ends up being stretched thin. Of course she can always heal and use utility staffs and still does decent magic damage, so she’s useful enough.

Can units die in Relay or Tempest Trials? I haven't touched them but am wondering if I should.

And can I really ruin people's day in Relay if I'm a flop? I am not a good FE player though I am tentatively tiptoeing through Hard.
Deaths during Trials don't count.

And you can lose a Trial of Alear dies (or the turn count runs out). You use other folks' units but can bring some of your own if there is room.

I am liking the game a lot but I gotta say this is one of the most unfriendliest games (that I've played)to people who deal with sensory overload like myself. I'm good with planning things out but there is just too much happening with the UI and other things that it just messes me up.
Yeah. I find the UI to actually be worst then Three Houses from a “causal” standpoint.

It’s strange. Like the info is all there in front. But it’s not presented in a clear way lol. I also can’t seem to tell where is the engage bar. I’ve looked all over and I think I’m missing it since I recall the previews had a circle with the Emblem character indicating ready to engage.

Three houses was more button pressing you had to do. But it did a better job overall I feel. Even if it was slow and a lot on screen

I love the break mechanics. I think it should stay.

Also really like the Smash weapons. I’ve lose a few times figuring them out. Forgetting they can’t double or start a attack.

Yeah. I find the UI to actually be worst then Three Houses from a “causal” standpoint.

It’s strange. Like the info is all there in front. But it’s not presented in a clear way lol. I also can’t seem to tell where is the engage bar. I’ve looked all over and I think I’m missing it since I recall the previews had a circle with the Emblem character indicating ready to engage.

Three houses was more button pressing you had to do. But it did a better job overall I feel. Even if it was slow and a lot on screen
Yeah I agree. All of the information is pretty much there but it's a bit much and sloppy tbh.

The story here is thankfully missing any of the terrible plot devices that are littered throughout Fates, but good god this cast is matching it in terms of sheer stupidity.
  • For starters, everyone just immediately trusts and forgives Mauvier and Marni, despite the fact that they're responsible for fucking Genocide. Marni's death scene is impossible to take seriously, because even if she is somewhat of a victim in a way, she's still way beyond any sort of forgiveness. Hell, the only person out of the entire cast who seemingly understands that Mauvier is a piece of shit is Mauvier himself. Maybe the supports get better there, I dunno, but it's pretty damn stupid.
  • Alear and co. decide to stage a rescue mission for Veyle, sure. But why the hell did they bring every single ring along with them, right to Sombron's doorstep? Could they have maybe, I dunno, left one or two behind as a failsafe? He's kicked your ass before and stolen everything, why are you repeating the same damn thing? Is the plan to kill Sombron too? Because the story never mentions that.
  • Speaking of which, how does Sombron get all 12 rings? The only person he ever actually kills is Alear. Does everyone else just calmly hand over their rings to him? It's not like Alear was carrying all 12 at once. And even then, why does Alear never bother to use the magic time gem to avoid Veyle or himself getting completely cooked? Hell, why not use that to prevent Marni's death? We already know it's fair game to use in the story, so why not use it now?
  • Everyone in the story acknowledges that the evil Veyle's power is drawn from the magic helmet. So why does nobody every bother to take the damn thing off? If it wasn't for the magic afterlife realm that apparently exists for some reason, Veyle would've gone back to being all evil and shit for good.
  • In general, what the hell was the rest of the army doing during all of this? You'd think that they'd try and do something during all of this, but no. They just stand around doing nothing, like usual. The lords in particular just stand around and talk some more, adding absolutely nothing to the scene whatsoever, as per usual.
I just can't take this story seriously. Characters are beyond dumb, there's absolutely no stakes whatsoever due to the lackluster characterization and worldbuilding of Elyos and its residents, and Sombron is one of the least interesting antagonists I've seen in quite a while. Thank god the gameplay is good and the cast is fun (albeit very shallow), because this is easily one of the most disappointing stories in a Nintendo game I've seen in a long while, and that's saying something considering my expectations were already pretty low.

On a less spoilerly note, the deluge of reinforcements in the late game is starting to get a bit annoying. It's fine every now and then, but it's happening way too often at this point. Feels like every map is a race to beat the boss and not much else.

One thing I’m noticing is that even though I’m spending much less time outside of battle than Three Houses (with all the monastery and time management, etc) I think this game is actually taking me longer to beat than that game, mostly because holy crap some of these maps are marathons. I’ve had several maps take me multiple hours to complete, and I don’t remember anything in Three Houses being that lengthy, or at least if so that was more the exception than the rule. Unless it speeds up a lot I think my final time will be over the length of a TH playthrough.

Wait, so is it better to buy them in ascending order? I’ve been saving up to get the most expensive stat boost skills first since they’ll have more impact. I guess it doesn’t matter since I’ll never stack them.

yeah there's no reason to wait if you want to use a stat boost skill, just get the lowest one and upgrade it when you can

The story here is thankfully missing any of the terrible plot devices that are littered throughout Fates, but good god this cast is matching it in terms of sheer stupidity.
  • For starters, everyone just immediately trusts and forgives Mauvier and Marni, despite the fact that they're responsible for fucking Genocide. Marni's death scene is impossible to take seriously, because even if she is somewhat of a victim in a way, she's still way beyond any sort of forgiveness. Hell, the only person out of the entire cast who seemingly understands that Mauvier is a piece of shit is Mauvier himself. Maybe the supports get better there, I dunno, but it's pretty damn stupid.
  • Alear and co. decide to stage a rescue mission for Veyle, sure. But why the hell did they bring every single ring along with them, right to Sombron's doorstep? Could they have maybe, I dunno, left one or two behind as a failsafe? He's kicked your ass before and stolen everything, why are you repeating the same damn thing? Is the plan to kill Sombron too? Because the story never mentions that.
  • Speaking of which, how does Sombron get all 12 rings? The only person he ever actually kills is Alear. Does everyone else just calmly hand over their rings to him? It's not like Alear was carrying all 12 at once. And even then, why does Alear never bother to use the magic time gem to avoid Veyle or himself getting completely cooked? Hell, why not use that to prevent Marni's death? We already know it's fair game to use in the story, so why not use it now?
  • Everyone in the story acknowledges that the evil Veyle's power is drawn from the magic helmet. So why does nobody every bother to take the damn thing off? If it wasn't for the magic afterlife realm that apparently exists for some reason, Veyle would've gone back to being all evil and shit for good.
  • In general, what the hell was the rest of the army doing during all of this? You'd think that they'd try and do something during all of this, but no. They just stand around doing nothing, like usual. The lords in particular just stand around and talk some more, adding absolutely nothing to the scene whatsoever, as per usual.
I just can't take this story seriously. Characters are beyond dumb, there's absolutely no stakes whatsoever due to the lackluster characterization and worldbuilding of Elyos and its residents, and Sombron is one of the least interesting antagonists I've seen in quite a while. Thank god the gameplay is good and the cast is fun (albeit very shallow), because this is easily one of the most disappointing stories in a Nintendo game I've seen in a long while, and that's saying something considering my expectations were already pretty low.

On a less spoilerly note, the deluge of reinforcements in the late game is starting to get a bit annoying. It's fine every now and then, but it's happening way too often at this point. Feels like every map is a race to beat the boss and not much else.
To have the enemies show Alear how to use the time stone to gain the upper hand in a cut scene, but it somehow never occurs to them to use it even as they see people die in front of them, is just silly. Every cut scene is as contrived as the last, the entire cast stands around and does nothing while the enemy do heinous stuff but are then immediately forgiven as soon as they join the party. It’s just ridiculous, the only thing that comes close to a reasonable reaction is Alcryst after his dad is killed, but Alear immediately shuts that down and demands everyone be nice and polite and apologise to the enemy commander that just joined the party on the basis that they wouldn’t know what to do next to foil the villain plan if said villain hadn’t defected. What kind of logic is that. “How dare you shout at this commander of the undead, we wouldn’t know where the next undead ritual is taking place if they hadn’t told us after losing the battle while trying to delay us from stopping them dragging off the ritual sacrifice!’ 🤡

It just kinda stays at the same level of passive and stupid throughout, with the cast having to watch the NPCs drop in and perform. As if there’s no other way to get information than from pantomime villains stopping by to gloat every three minutes.

Yea. Outside of liking 3H characters, Ive put the Edelgard brace on Alear because it guarantees i can delete two bars of a boss' hp in 1 turn.

I also can’t seem to tell where is the engage bar. I’ve looked all over and I think I’m missing it since I recall the previews had a circle with the Emblem character indicating ready to engage.
...It's exactly as you described. Is there an option to turn it off I don't know about that you accidentally triggered somehow? Do you have emblem rings equipped?

...It's exactly as you described. Is there an option to turn it off I don't know about that you accidentally triggered somehow? Do you have emblem rings equipped?
Yup. I have them equiped. And I feel I maybe turned it off. So I checked after reading this post and realized that the HP gauge is also the ring gauge lol.

Didn’t even occur to me that this could be the case cause HP gauge I always turn off for too much clutter. I wish the could just have the emblem one or it should appear near the bond level

It's a nice change to have a fun priest character in Pandreo. Only other one I can think of is (better call) Saul

FnvnBlBaAAIOz6H

FnvnBlDaMAAmJ6T
After seeing this, I decided to just bullrush Ike as fast as possible up the left side. There's no way I'm playing PoR with these mechanics. I got it done in 6 turns and 9 time reverses. Thank you for your sacrifice

It's a bit wild how Berserkers feel like a straight downgrade to Warriors. Warriors get to use bows, and the tradeoff is Berserkers should be faster with higher accuracy and crit chances, but they have lower Speed and Dex than Warriors, in this one

Is that just my oldhead brain fogging up my memory or do the Berserkers feel undertuned in comparison?

It's a bit wild how Berserkers feel like a straight downgrade to Warriors. Warriors get to use bows, and the tradeoff is Berserkers should be faster with higher accuracy and crit chances, but they have lower Speed and Dex than Warriors, in this one

Is that just my oldhead brain fogging up my memory or do the Berserkers feel undertuned in comparison?
Nah, I think I agree with you. Smash+ could be something, and maybe the S rank axe is good (haven't seen it), but the generally better spread of Warriors and Merciless seems... much more reliable

Historically the trade off was that Berserkers got a buff to their crit chance and could walk on mountains without penalties. Don't need the speed to double when you have a 60%-70% chance to crit.

Historically the trade off was that Berserkers got a buff to their crit chance and could walk on mountains without penalties. Don't need the speed to double when you have a 60%-70% chance to crit.
I don't think Berserkers (or Swordmasters) have the inherently increased crit rate in this is the thing

I don't think Berserkers (or Swordmasters) have the inherently increased crit rate in this is the thing
No, it seems the real advantage is if you like using smash attacks, Berserkers get that extra smash movement space. There's probably some cool strats you can do with it, but the warriors bonus damage to broke units is likely more useful more often.

I guess what I'm really saying is I miss my boy Dart and his 65 strength/60 speed growth. Way outclassed the Warriors in that game, I thought. On Normal he could slap anyone in creation to death with one hand

Back
Top Bottom