• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Fire Emblem Engage |ST| Your Hidden Desire to Have Neon Joy-Con-Coloured Hair. Mark spoilers!

I guess what I'm really saying is I miss my boy Dart and his 65 strength/60 speed growth. Way outclassed the Warriors in that game, I thought. On Normal he could slap anyone in creation to death with one hand
The tragedy of Dart was that if you cared about rankings, you literally couldn't promote him cause of how valuable the ocean seal was on your funds score.

Nobody should care about rankings, but there was a time during the 00's when people pretended they did where Dart was bottom tier cause of that. I find Dart is just okay in FE7 on hard mode, he's decent for a few battles, and then gets replaced by Hawkeye

The tragedy of Dart was that if you cared about rankings, you literally couldn't promote him cause of how valuable the ocean seal was on your funds score.

Nobody should care about rankings, but there was a time during the 00's when people pretended they did where Dart was bottom tier cause of that. I find Dart is just okay in FE7 on hard mode, he's decent for a few battles, and then gets replaced by Hawkeye
I need to go back and play that game on hard one of these days. My boy's defenses are lower than Hawkeye's but his offenses should leave Hawkeye in the dust

Maybe when I'm done with Engage it'll be nice to return to the simplicity of a nice GBA playthrough

I need to go back and play that game on hard one of these days. My boy's defenses are lower than Hawkeye's but his offenses should leave Hawkeye in the dust

Maybe when I'm done with Engage it'll be nice to return to the simplicity of a nice GBA playthrough
What really hurts Dart is that he can't deal with enemy mages to save his life. Hawkeye can march in with a hand axe, shrug off magic, and get the kill. Dart even at 20/20 on average won't get to Hawkeye's starting res.

One thing I’m noticing is that even though I’m spending much less time outside of battle than Three Houses (with all the monastery and time management, etc) I think this game is actually taking me longer to beat than that game, mostly because holy crap some of these maps are marathons. I’ve had several maps take me multiple hours to complete, and I don’t remember anything in Three Houses being that lengthy, or at least if so that was more the exception than the rule. Unless it speeds up a lot I think my final time will be over the length of a TH playthrough.
Engage also has more chapters overall compared to any single route as well as significantly more paralogues (unless you recruit everybody). Add in the longer maps, and it’s no surprise that the game is longer than Three Houses.

Made it all the way through a lengthy map and only after I finished did I realize I never actually visited the one house on the map despite clearing enemies away from it. 🤦‍♂️

Decided to complete all of the avaliable paralogues today before chapter 20. Some of them were simpler (Corrin) but others were really fun. In the Sigurd paralogue after the first part =

8o8FjXv.gif

but then

all the cavalry is there just standing and Sigurd decides to come to his own death landing in the middle of all my party.

It's a bit wild how Berserkers feel like a straight downgrade to Warriors. Warriors get to use bows, and the tradeoff is Berserkers should be faster with higher accuracy and crit chances, but they have lower Speed and Dex than Warriors, in this one

Is that just my oldhead brain fogging up my memory or do the Berserkers feel undertuned in comparison?
Berserkers are the worst class in the game on higher difficulties IMO. Wrath + Vantage + Roy to set it up or something is good but takes a lot of investment. Warriors meanwhile are one of the best classes in the game.

Decided to complete all of the avaliable paralogues today before chapter 20. Some of them were simpler (Corrin) but others were really fun. In the Sigurd paralogue after the first part =

8o8FjXv.gif

but then

all the cavalry is there just standing and Sigurd decides to come to his own death landing in the middle of all my party.
What did you make of the tough enemies in the bottom left? On my attempt there was two multi-HP-bar foes that just instantly nuked any of my team in range

Cleared chapter 8 yesterday, most of the units i normally use are aroun lvl 11/12 unpromoted ... and it's getting a bit too easy. Feared that.
RNG shenanigans are as common as ever, so i'm at half missing Hards actual difficulty but at the same time half not regretting my decision to go to Normal because RNG just won't stop pranking me.

I think i'm going to start promotions around lvl 14/15.

What did you make of the tough enemies in the bottom left? On my attempt there was two multi-HP-bar foes that just instantly nuked any of my team in range

The way I did it on maddening was
Use Corrins flames dragon vein on Alear, which both cuts their movement in half and deals damage each turn, combined with copious use of canter, the dancer and reposition on whoever you have Ike on, to deal chip damage of about 10 a turn to them while ensuring that nobody stayed in their range because none of my units could actually take a hit.

Basically the goal was to get their hp down low enough to be able to finish off a hp bar, rinse and repeat.

You need to take them out before you attack the three units at the fort, but after you kill every other unit in the south half, so that they come at you in your terms rather than with all the units above too

Use Corrins flames dragon vein on Alear, which both cuts their movement in half and deals damage each turn, combined with copious use of canter, the dancer and reposition on whoever you have Ike on, to deal chip damage of about 10 a turn to them while ensuring that nobody stayed in their range because none of my units could actually take a hit.

Basically the goal was to get their hp down low enough to be able to finish off a hp bar, rinse and repeat.

You need to take them out before you attack the three units at the fort, but after you kill every other unit in the south half, so that they come at you in your terms rather than with all the units above too
Nice, thanks for the tips! I’ll get them on my next playthrough.

Reading so much about Canter (i liked the Canto naming better ...) makes me hope IS keeps it out of the next mainline game.

I'm realistic, it will be just as obnoxious in the Genealogy remake. But i'm still hopeful for the next new game. ^^

Reading so much about Canter (i liked the Canto naming better ...) makes me hope IS keeps it out of the next mainline game.

I'm realistic, it will be just as obnoxious in the Genealogy remake. But i'm still hopeful for the next new game. ^^

personally i'd kinda like to see it as a cavalry only thing to help give them more purpose vs flyers

personally i'd kinda like to see it as a cavalry only thing to help give them more purpose vs flyers
Yeah I much prefer it as exclusive to cavalry/fliers. Hell, I would have been fine if emblem Sigurd was cavalry units only, and if the skill locked out if you weren’t a mounted class.

I liked the alternative idea they had in Awakening/Fates more, Galeforce.
Though i would change the activation rate given it was 100% in Awakening/Fates.

Honestly, Heroes has the best version of it. It's a special, triggers once after 5 charges (attacks your hero does and from attacks your hero receives).
It's balanced in the way that you don't always have it, but can plan around it for strategic use.

But since this is all prolly a bit too much to implement, locking it to cavs would be a good idea. Though to be honest, i think cavs having the highest movement is purpose enough for them.
Especially if you're also having your cav rock Sigurd. Engage and boom you can basically cross half of the map.

Wow it's very different in normal

They really won't do anything untill you get really close, I think you can finish the map without them even making a move. Still in my case just got before their attack range and then reactivate the 5 units with byleth/dancer and just kill them, being mages they have less hp that died quicker. But honestly I think for 2K gold is not worth the challenge

Wow it's very different in normal

They really won't do anything untill you get really close, I think you can finish the map without them even making a move. Still in my case just got before their attack range and then reactivate the 5 units with byleth/dancer and just kill them, being mages they have less hp that died quicker. But honestly I think for 2K gold is not worth the challenge

I don't actually know if they do anything if you carefully stay out of range or not, I just wasn't about to take the risk that a unit capable of dealing like 60 damage to a unit on a whim was going to start moving at some point and force me to go back as many turns as possible.

So for you folks playing Maddening:

The "Maddening Skills" listed here—are those skills available to player versions of a class in Maddening, or are they exclusive to enemy versions of that class?

So for you folks playing Maddening:

The "Maddening Skills" listed here—are those skills available to player versions of a class in Maddening, or are they exclusive to enemy versions of that class?
Enemy exclusive.

I don't actually know if they do anything if you carefully stay out of range or not, I just wasn't about to take the risk that a unit capable of dealing like 60 damage to a unit on a whim was going to start moving at some point and force me to go back as many turns as possible.
I did a quick reload (was suspicous of capturing the fort and mayeb those mages start moving once that happens) and yeah, those enemies won't move no matter what happens in the map unless you get close to them. So it's really only a thing if you want their drops

I assume the reason for the name change is that what Canter does and what Canto did in older games aren't exactly the same.

Canter slaps a 2 (3 for the plus version) move option after taking an action. Canto let you use any remaining movement tiles, which can be anywhere from 0 to all of them.

Canter is a word that actually makes sense in the context of horse movement, so hey!

While it didn't make sense in terms of horses, I assume it wasn't originally a mistake; it would have been because the series has always related music via songs or dances with extra movement, hence the mounted units get a 'canto' which is part of an Italian singing style, as well as a pun on canter.

Made it through chapter 20 last night. With how my team is currently stacked, I think I'm pretty set to finish the game at this point (I hope lol)

While it didn't make sense in terms of horses, I assume it wasn't originally a mistake; it would have been because the series has always related music via songs or dances with extra movement, hence the mounted units get a 'canto' which is part of an Italian singing style, as well as a pun on canter.
If I recall right, I believe 'Canto' was first used in Path of Radiance in relation to the Herons' singing ability, so that matches up. But then it became used as the name of the skill regarding post-action movement where it made less sense as a term.

Just finished Chapter 17 and by far its one of my favorites battles ever. The music and the challenge (Playing on Hard/Classic) was just right. Also everyone was right, the dlc emblems/bangles are busted lol.

Leif’s paralogue should be filed under cruel and unusual punishment. It isn’t even hard, it’s just really, really annoying.

Still slowly making my way through the game, just finished chapter 12.

I'm avoiding most posts bc I don't wanna get spoiled so idk if people already talked about this haha.

I just want to say that I think it's pretty lame to hide the Silver Card in Tiki's paralogue.

I missed it when I cleared the chapter because I didn't even realize it was supposed to be there.
And the only way you can retry it, is by hoping a skirmish lands on that exact map. (Replaying/Recalling the chapter doesn't work)

Kinda.. not very convenient, the fact it's behind a paywall doesn't make it any better.

(Luckily once I reopened the game, a skirmish did start on that map so that was nice haha)

Still slowly making my way through the game, just finished chapter 12.

I'm avoiding most posts bc I don't wanna get spoiled so idk if people already talked about this haha.

I just want to say that I think it's pretty lame to hide the Silver Card in Tiki's paralogue.

I missed it when I cleared the chapter because I didn't even realize it was supposed to be there.
And the only way you can retry it, is by hoping a skirmish lands on that exact map. (Replaying/Recalling the chapter doesn't work)

Kinda.. not very convenient, the fact it's behind a paywall doesn't make it any better.

(Luckily once I reopened the game, a skirmish did start on that map so that was nice haha)
YEah this happened to me, I already finished and was wondering if there was going to be another map to get the card, but no, had to look at FAQS to see it was in that paralogue.

And I'm pretty sure that it's going to be common with the rest of the DLC, any extra item they add is going to be on the maps.

YEah this happened to me, I already finished and was wondering if there was going to be another map to get the card, but no, had to look at FAQS to see it was in that paralogue.

And I'm pretty sure that it's going to be common with the rest of the DLC, any extra item they add is going to be on the maps.
They haven't indicated that any of the DLC beyond the first wave will have anything akin to the silver card. Wave 2 will have support items, but it's mostly Emblems, classes, characters, and the new storyline.

Finally cleared that notorious section of the story on Maddening. As I expected, the learning curve is super steep early on but becomes much more manageable when additional tools are given (bond rings, master seals, anti armor and cavalry weapons, etc.)

So far my favorites are Yunaka and Louis. I gave the former the Echoes emblem engraved on her dagger, then send her to whatever place on the map with camouflage terrains and let her bait the foes while I pull the team on the other way. Louis is kinda the same, with the bonus capacity to delete cavalry units with his Ridersbane, engraved with the Beginning emblem. These two single handedly saved me from being hardstuck in that chapter (well more like chapters) in the early game.

I did the Lucina paralogue

I... kind of wish there was more to it? A little more conversation. Maybe some music from Awakening. Maybe just name the constructs after Lucina's companions from the future, the way Awakening would do that for its own guest characters

I did the Lucina paralogue

I... kind of wish there was more to it? A little more conversation. Maybe some music from Awakening. Maybe just name the constructs after Lucina's companions from the future, the way Awakening would do that for its own guest characters
The background music is an Awakening music remix. It's the same for all of the Emblem Paralogues.

Chapter 17 is kicking my ass, I may need to completely reconfigure and try some new things. I just don’t feel like I have enough time to kill enough bosses before they decide to come swarm me. If they would just wait around for me to come to them it’d be doable, but as is, oof.

For as much criticism the characters have gotten, I really like most of them and find their supports to be a ton of fun. Loving the game in general tbh.

Three Houses was my first taste of Fire Emblem (even though I'd played a ton of Advance Wars as a kid), and I absolutely loved it.

But I think this game is way more my kind of thing. It feels so straightforward in terms of presentation, like bam you get right to the battles and there's little downtime.

Three Houses was my first taste of Fire Emblem (even though I'd played a ton of Advance Wars as a kid), and I absolutely loved it.

But I think this game is way more my kind of thing. It feels so straightforward in terms of presentation, like bam you get right to the battles and there's little downtime.
Good news about most of the rest of the series then!

That is one of my issues with Three Houses when doing a replay. There is a lot you have to do between chapters that is pretty much forced. That is all fine the first time around but when you go back to do another campaign, the downtime feels worse.
People claim there's less downtime than in Three Houses, but after every battle, I hop back up to the Somniel and do a full round of everything.
The other night I spent an hour in the training chamber just leveling up all of my emblems. Time really flies lol.

People claim there's less downtime than in Three Houses, but after every battle, I hop back up to the Somniel and do a full round of everything.
Yes. And it’s tedious.
I enjoyed in TH to see everyone’s reaction to every event in the game, but not here. Here is boring.

Btw, liking the story of Engage so far.

Pro with Somniel, all "vital" activities are close to another, Arena, Ring Chamber and the shops, for example.

Negative, collecting the sparking item spots, taking care of Sommie and so have a similar to the monastery annoying walk time.

Thing is, i do find most "vital" things outside of Emblem Arena leveling somewhat lackluster, especially compared to TH's lessons which had a big impact on unit development outside of battles.

Maybe they can add something like that with the DLC episode. Would also be nice if the Arena would be more useful outside of Emblem ranks.

On a couple of occasions, a round of fitness training has been key to victory. A two-point strength boost can mean a lot.

I'm still only on Chapter 6 because there's so much to do between battles. I said "no downtime" but what I meant was no absolutely boring stuff.
Leveling up bonds and rolling for rings and training my allies is a blast. I love the grind. This game is great.

Every character in Three Houses had something unique to say after every chapter

Here, that doens't happen. Usually just generic lines

This is either good or bad depending on if you would prefer to get unique dialogue or just skip the whole thing—though if you want to skip the whole thing, having unique dialogue doesn't hurt anyway

In other Fire Emblem news, we're on the cusp of the CYL7 results being announced. They announced the "Rising Heroes" for this year and lol.

Desaix jumped from 321st place to 33rd by the power of early game villain memes.

In other Fire Emblem news, we're on the cusp of the CYL7 results being announced. They announced the "Rising Heroes" for this year and lol.

Desaix jumped from 321st place to 33rd by the power of early game villain memes.

The winners might have leaked btw.

Guys: Robin, Soren
Gals: Gullveig, Corrin

Back
Top Bottom