• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Fire Emblem Engage — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Well, I see that the President's equipped his daughter with ballistics too."

I always dislike it when the female variant of an avatar character looks way younger than the male variant. It’s an issue with art design in general but it’s just showcased really clearly in cases like this when they are the exact same character. At least with Robin in Awakening you could edit the character somewhat, Byleth had the same issue. Then there’s the usual ludicrous sexualization on top of that. Sigh.

Mildly interesting that they are mirrored in terms of the red/blue hair/eyes rather than exactly the same. That’s a nice detail.

What is it with the longer strands of red/blue hair crossing over on their nose. Looks daft to me but still, not exactly the worst FE design element I’ve ever seen.

Not a fan of the costume but I suspect that’s something you can change later on.

My general recoil from the main character’s design aside, I’m really looking forward to this! The maps seem a lot more interesting than TH. It feels like a progression incorporating elements from various portable Fire Emblems.

Last edited:
f!Alear would look instantly cooler if she got a proper chestplate armor!
But the clothes for both in general don't look made for fighting, so maybe it wouldn't fit with the design.

Alas, not a fan of the push up and the girls having same face syndrome in the models.

Other than that the quality of the game seems promising! Love the dialogue snippets the fe twitter posts!

I Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll probably pick the Male alear instead of the Female for the first time in the series, it's going to be a shame since the female Alear will probably be the better unit gameplay wise like all the other games but I really like the Male design this time.

yea, that character design is a bust for me. sometimes it takes time for me to just be "meh" on it. but this is just a visceral disgust at the usage of colors

I always dislike it when the female variant of an avatar character looks way younger than the male variant. It’s an issue with art design in general but it’s just showcased really clearly in cases like this when they are the exact same character. At least with Robin in Awakening you could edit the character somewhat, Byleth had the same issue. Then there’s the usual ludicrous sexualization on top of that. Sigh.

Mildly interesting that they are mirrored in terms of the red/blue hair/eyes rather than exactly the same. That’s a nice detail.

What is it with the longer strands of red/blue hair crossing over on their nose. Looks daft to me but still, not exactly the worst FE design element I’ve ever seen.

Not a fan of the costume but I suspect that’s something you can change later on.

My general recoil from the main character’s design aside, I’m really looking forward to this! The maps seem a lot more interesting than TH. It feels like a progression incorporating elements from various portable Fire Emblems.
That's my biggest issue, her eyes seem a bit too big, the rounder face/looking younger in general than male Alear, who I think looks pretty good although the colors are still a bit much.

But haven't we known all this for a while now? None of this is new info or anything.

That's my biggest issue, her eyes seem a bit too big, the rounder face/looking younger in general than male Alear, who I think looks pretty good although the colors are still a bit much.

But haven't we known all this for a while now? None of this is new info or anything.
Yeah I think it’s just a generic promo tweet from NoA.

it would have been cool to see caeda for the female alear but it wouldn't have made sense gameplay wise
Yeah. At first I thought we were gonna get the "dual protagonist" of each series but I am not sure if the emblems are exclusive to 1 per mainline. If true, I appreciate picking Celica over Alm (good boy but kinda boring) but odd they picked Lucina over Robin

Yeah. At first I thought we were gonna get the "dual protagonist" of each series but I am not sure if the emblems are exclusive to 1 per mainline. If true, I appreciate picking Celica over Alm (good boy but kinda boring) but odd they picked Lucina over Robin
Lucina is easily more popular than Robin and shares cover status with Chrom. Robin is both an important character, but not the headliner.

As it stands right now, the Emblems we know are in the game are split even between male/female reps, which is almost certainly a deliberate choice.

I dont think it was a question but interesting to see Female Alear with Marths ring

Yeah, it was never really a question. Though we're still not sure if rings are specifically class or character-locked at all. I doubt anyone but Alear will be allowed to use Marth's ring, though.

I think it's less about picking a lord itself but more choosing the past hero that complements better the characters of engage, so if they wanted to give an hero for the princess Celica would have been a better choice than Alm. I could easily see a myrmidon or an archer with a big connection with nature with the Lyn ring.

Lucina is easily more popular than Robin and shares cover status with Chrom. Robin is both an important character, but not the headliner.

As it stands right now, the Emblems we know are in the game are split even between male/female reps, which is almost certainly a deliberate choice.

Yeah, it was never really a question. Though we're still not sure if rings are specifically class or character-locked at all. I doubt anyone but Alear will be allowed to use Marth's ring, though.
Not sure. There is no indication marth is locked in this selection.

FckcJfnXwAEjUvv

I'm actually wondering how they'll implement the gathering of the rings gameplay wise.
Will they all be connected to the story and you just get them all by playing or are they going to use the rings as a secondary objective like the star sphere shards in fe3/12 or the legendary weapons of fe6 where you need to complete side objectives during the chapters to gain them? Maybe with a true endgame unlockable by gathering all the rings just like those 2 games?

I'm actually wondering how they'll implement the gathering of the rings gameplay wise.
Will they all be connected to the story and you just get them all by playing or are they going to use the rings as a secondary objective like the star sphere shards in fe3/12 or the legendary weapons of fe6 where you need to complete side objectives during the chapters to gain them? Maybe with a true endgame unlockable by gathering all the rings just like those 2 games?
If the bit from the Reddit leaker of dungeons being in this game are true, then maybe their purpose/justification story-wise is that they hold at least some of the rings? I can see there being like, six main required story dungeons in this game if the leak is true — one for each of the four main countries surrounding the holy land, one in the holy land itself (maybe the final dungeon?), and maybe one for that dark, spooky looking area surrounding the holy land. Maybe each main dungeon holds one ring each? And then maybe there'll be optional mini dungeons scattered throughout as well that hold certain rings that aren't acquired naturally in the main story.

Whatever would we do without Awakening. Relaunches the series and enshrines the idea that fire emblem knights have a collar that looks like a toilet seat. I guess this looks more like just a seat than the full bowl of Sully/Stahl from Awakening, so, progress! :D

I really like Louis’s green/cream/gold palette though. Very nice. And the quick ‘get ready’ animation immediately prior to combat is still a really cool way to handle the move from map to combat. The armour is very silly though.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, just 3+ months or so...

how did this happen, that last year i was "uh, a new FE is on the way, im hopefull that they iron out the problems of TH and we get a good one again ... "... and now i could not be less interested in that game.

They will have to show a lot for me to get excited.
Since what they shown was almost everything in the wrong direction:

While the graphics are improved.. the style is behind the last 4 entries for me (to bright, lacking on contrast, females look even more childlike, sexualisation is up to TH),
the gimick is stupid (makes no sense in lore, no mather how hard they will try to justify it, it will feel like fanfiction or gacha stuff)
im not really a fan of the main char, robin was fine if somewhat generic, i had no problem with colin (female FTW), i loved alm and celica, i tolerated byleth, and this looks like byleth in carneval, except that the female variant looked way better in TH.
On the plus side: were back to a single storyline, THANK YOU.

So...what could move me? if the gimick is less prominent in the actual plot, the gameplay is top
tire (we will see what reviews say)... and some of the supporting cast makes a better impression.

Argue about Edelgard etc., and Byleth's female design was also atrocious, but seeing the Falear design really makes me miss the Armored Lord look from Three Houses

LegEdel_Neutral.webp

Now that's some design, even while being very insistently feminine

It is crazy how this looks leaps & bounds above 3H in terms of visuals & presentation
TBF, I boil that down to the team chosen at Koei Tecmo not being the most focused on graphical fidelity than anything else. Three Houses, as much as I like it, was never a looker compared to other 1st party titles on the Switch

Makes me wish we got the Three Houses character designer alongside this type of graphical fidelity. Engage looks much better in terms of pure visuals, but I definitely prefer the general art direction of Three Houses.

Nintendo's Twitter is going to mine every second of the reveal trailer until a new trailer gets put out.

On another note, the environment design definitely feels very Gust-game like.

Its kinda wild this game comes out in 3 month lol. We might see another trailer next month (2 month after the original trailer) or maybe we will get something at TGA (Not holding my breath)

Its kinda wild this game comes out in 3 month lol. We might see another trailer next month (2 month after the original trailer) or maybe we will get something at TGA (Not holding my breath)
I think we could get a new trailer dropped in November, and then hopefully a FE Engage Direct in December followed by weekly Famitsu articles.

By the way: despite the clip NoA tweeted today being old, we at least get to hear a few seconds of the trailer music without the voice over, so that's pretty cool I guess?

I think we could get a new trailer dropped in November, and then hopefully a FE Engage Direct in December followed by weekly Famitsu articles.

By the way: despite the clip NoA tweeted today being old, we at least get to hear a few seconds of the trailer music without the voice over, so that's pretty cool I guess?
True, we most likely get Famitsu articles (maybe interviews) before release. A direct is an interesting thing, cause we have technically have gotten 1 direct in the switch life. That one had Warriors 1, Heroes and Echoes (and also an early early announcement of 3H), then we had the a long trailers for 3 houses, similar to 3 hopes. So I dont expect a direct but multiple trailers detailing mechanics and character intros.

Idk if it's Twitter compression or if it's just how it is (looking from my phone), but that first shot is actually surprisingly very ugly/basic. I'm not even one to say many games look ugly as I still play old games without any care, but that almost looks like a PC game from 2006. There's like no detail or good lighting in that environment. The castle looks like dimensionless rubber with no grit, directional lighting, or texture visible.

Extra weird as the gameplay combat scenes look much better (way better than Three Houses)

Idk if it's Twitter compression or if it's just how it is (looking from my phone), but that first shot is actually surprisingly very ugly/basic. I'm not even one to say many games look ugly as I still play old games without any care, but that almost looks like a PC game from 2006. There's like no detail or good lighting in that environment. The castle looks like dimensionless rubber with no grit, directional lighting, or texture visible.

Extra weird as the gameplay combat scenes look much better (way better than Three Houses)
Ah, here we are with the hot takes of "this looks like a PS2/Wii/15 year old PC game" based on a one second clip on Twitter from an in-progress build.

Ah, here we are with the hot takes of "this looks like a PS2/Wii/15 year old PC game" based on a one second clip on Twitter from an in-progress build.
Not my intention, just making an observation with obviously clear asterisks and considerations specified. I even mentioned that the rest of the game doesn't look as bad and how it's a clear step up from FETH. Am I not allowed to make a first observation? That shot looks bad while others do not

Not my intention, just making an observation with obviously clear asterisks and considerations specified. I even mentioned that the rest of the game doesn't look as bad and how it's a clear step up from FETH. Am I not allowed to make a first observation? That shot looks bad while others do not
It's not my intention to go hard on you. It's just that it's a very specific and very loaded critique that is more derisive than informative (and is often stated inaccurately anyway). It gave me flashbacks to early pre-release Three Houses discourse and how some people swore Path of Radiance looked better based off of seconds-long gameplay clips.

It's not my intention to go hard on you. It's just that it's a very specific and very loaded critique that is more derisive than informative (and is often stated inaccurately anyway). It gave me flashbacks to early pre-release Three Houses discourse and how some people swore Path of Radiance looked better based off of seconds-long gameplay clips.
Definitely, I understand as someone who's felt similarly especially these days when everyone always begs for a Switch Pro because the Switch is "outdated and bad". It plagues a lot of Switch releases so I feel a little sensitive when games I'm excited for get bogged down by the talk. However sometimes I do wonder why Nintendo and their partners struggle so much with exclusive Nintendo console releases. Like, they should be the ones leading the charge for technical capability yet they are usually, if anything, the reason why people complain about Switch specs. We know the Switch can do waaaaay better than what they produce in games like FETH, every Pokemon game, SMTV. They are somehow the most technically incompetent.

That's why I appreciate companies like Ubisoft Milan, PlatinumGames, Monolith Soft, Retro Studios (when they do release games), Capcom (the MH games), Next Level Games, Virtuos, The Zelda & 3D Mario teams for being the main examples of technically proficient developers for Nintendo hardware. They know how to find the perfect balance of art and technical design too to create visually impressive games. Even Camelot (which we know is a very underbudgeted and understaffed dev team) makes technically nice Switch games. Aces and Super Rush, though short on content which I definitely agree they should be given more time and budget to make more complete games on release, look great. Intelligent systems is good when it's in house developed.

Koei Tecmo is one of Nintendo's worst technical partners unfortunately and they're one of if not the most partnered dev for them which makes their hardware look bad when the worst tech dev team is given the most partnerships. It's frustrating that they don't care as much as they should sometimes. Maybe not even for the sake of visuals but for performance. You'd think Nintendo would care about performance hiccups when it impacts gameplay aka their bread and butter but they don't.

Definitely, I understand as someone who's felt similarly especially these days when everyone always begs for a Switch Pro because the Switch is "outdated and bad". It plagues a lot of Switch releases so I feel a little sensitive when games I'm excited for get bogged down by the talk. However sometimes I do wonder why Nintendo and their partners struggle so much with exclusive Nintendo console releases. Like, they should be the ones leading the charge for technical capability yet they are usually, if anything, the reason why people complain about Switch specs. We know the Switch can do waaaaay better than what they produce in games like FETH, every Pokemon game, SMTV. They are somehow the most technically incompetent.

That's why I appreciate companies like Ubisoft Milan, PlatinumGames, Monolith Soft, Retro Studios (when they do release games), Capcom (the MH games), Next Level Games, Virtuos, The Zelda & 3D Mario teams for being the main examples of technically proficient developers for Nintendo hardware. They know how to find the perfect balance of art and technical design too to create visually impressive games. Even Camelot (which we know is a very underbudgeted and understaffed dev team) makes technically nice Switch games. Aces and Super Rush, though short on content which I definitely agree they should be given more time and budget to make more complete games on release, look great. Intelligent systems is good when it's in house developed.

Koei Tecmo is one of Nintendo's worst technical partners unfortunately and they're one of if not the most partnered dev for them which makes their hardware look bad when the worst tech dev team is given the most partnerships. It's frustrating that they don't care as much as they should sometimes. Maybe not even for the sake of visuals but for performance. You'd think Nintendo would care about performance hiccups when it impacts gameplay aka their bread and butter but they don't.
It's not about "technical incompetence," and the broad strokes with which you paint the technical side of KT's output is frankly childish.

Just as an example, Three Houses was developed on the same engine KT uses for their Musou titles. The engine is obviously not optimized for a strategy RPG, but they made it work (and then reused a lot of the assets and functionality for Three Hopes). Is it, graphically speaking, among the best of the best looking on Switch? No. Did it need to be? Also no.

But more than PHENOMENAL. GRAPHIC. POWER, the KT dev team crafted one of the most unique, most experimental titles in the entire franchise. Combat takes concepts that hadn't been seen since FE4 and out them in a mix with more established elements and brand new concepts. They experimented with ditching the weapon triangle and introducing a new weapon type. They made character and class progression more free-form than it had ever been. They expanded on the social elements. They wrote a story that took the branching path idea that Fates fumbled and made it work. They introduced and revisited all sorts of concepts, large and small, and while the game had its shortcomings, it was, in no uncertain terms, a success.

I really could not care less that Three Houses is not a graphic powerhouse. It didn't need to be. Most games absolutely do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom