• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Eurogamer: "Nintendo demoed Switch 2 to developers at Gamescom ahead of widely-expected launch next year."

People buy current gen for $500 and they're not deterred by it. Why would they walk away from a $450 Switch 2?
They also buy iPhones by the millions every year at much higher so beats me. I think this price-critical thinking is a bit out of date( for the first year or two anyway)

So UE5 Matrix demo was also used to showcase the speed of the current consoles SSD hardware.
Does this demo running on target Switch 2 specs confirm much faster internal storage ie UFS?

Who is Necrolipe?

angry-gary-oldman.gif

I just really hope they hit that late 2024 release window. Backwards compatibility with Switch would be huge as well. The specs I can't be bothered to care too much about.

I just really hope they hit that late 2024 release window. Backwards compatibility with Switch would be huge as well. The specs I can't be bothered to care too much about.
I'm oddly on the same boat. The nerds and console warriors care about it, but specs i feel will work itself out, and given what we know, it will be more than fine.
I want the rest of the launch to be good. Good launch games, H2 2024 release as 2025 is probably not ideal and feels too late to have Switch as their main console for another Xmas after his year, and BC would be very nice pro-consumer move to keep people in their ecosystem and not feel like their digital games are locked to OG Switch.

UE5 sounds great but I'm here for the gimmicks :)
I wonder what you mean when something isn't gimmick.
For example, is VR a gimmick? What about the controls you use in VR, is it also a gimmick?

If not, the wiimote were always called gimmick, but the motion controller are being used for all VR devices now.

If you think it's also gimmick. What about a default controller, because before that we had keyboard and mouse and joysticks to play games with.

I love the special features Nintendo implement. Most of them are standard. Also the gyro sensor in controllers are a must have for FPS games.
A lot of the evolution in the gaming industry is because of nintendo. I dislike the word gimmick, gimmick is something that sounds like a cheap useless product from China.

I don't think Nintendo is going to repeat a Wii U mistake. They should just stick to revisions like they've done with DS, 3DS and Switch.

I think that there's also a lot changed in favor of Nintendo. When the Wii U arrived the Wii was already years past its prime and basically dead. The Switch is still a system that's well-supported and still have many millions of users.

Plus, we have these highly anticipated Nintendo presentations that get viewed by millions of people. Most will be able to comprehend what the new hardware is going to be by virtue of having seen the hypothetical presentation.

At this point it likely even doesn't matter what the branding will be. It's IMO guaranteed to become a success.

This is a tangent, but today with the Charles Martinet video and the Switch 2 rumors I've noticed this strange enmity towards Nintendo. (Mostly... elsewhere). Nintendo is seen as this this wacky, unpredictable and incompetent company that releases weak hardware just because, will definitely name the Switch something stupid because that's totally something they would do, and will most certainly shoot themselves in the foot with some zany gimmick like smell-o-vision. At the same time they are malicious, greedy, and shady and definitely forced Charles into the ambassador role because they want to replace him with AI while keeping him on a leash.

I'm not really interested in 'defending' corporations of all things and I acknowledge many of their decisions as bone-headed. And I will never pass up a chance to roast the Wii U. At the same time, this strange personification of Nintendo and framing of their decisions comes off as immature or low-level console warring. It just makes it difficult to actually discuss why they make decisions and what we can reasonably predict. It gets tiring reading the same baseless, reality-detached argument over and over, like how their track record with BC is 'terrible', and trying to refute it is responded with "Nintendo is unpredictable" or being called a corporate bootlicker. "Because Nintendo" is not an actual argument.
And that's just Kit and Krysta.

People forget that a lot of the people who buy Switches are parents buying them for their kids, and often these groups don't have a huge amount of disposable income, so I doubt Nintendo will want to go crazily high with the Switch 2 price. But then again, consoles are a prestige purchase that people are willing to shell out for now, and if there's a strong cross gen strategy they can keep the base Switch around for a couple of years as the cheap option until they get around to a Switch 2 Lite.

I dunno, I still think $400 is the sweet spot here. But Nintendo will for sure market research this thing to hell and back to find out what they can get away with

I don't think Nintendo will have a (in Europe suggested) price under 400. I could even see 450.

And to be honest, up to 450 is what i would be willing to pay. 500 would hit some psychological barrier for me somehow.

... I mean, i would still get it even for 500 ... but i wouldn't be happy about and complain about it.

I really don't want this to cost more than 400 and I think higher than that is a big ask for a toy for kids/families. Unfortunately if it launches with 3D Mario I will have no choice but to sell an organ to get my hand on one
Many families can buy $500 PS5 as a toy/present for their kids, so this $400 Switch 2 is a good price number

I think this thing will hit the bucks hard.

SwOLED in my country, when converted, is roughly $430. Switch 2 will hit $500 easily.

Think I’m going to need to back out of Nintendo communities pretty soon - some of the assertions from fans about future hardware are already wildly unrealistic and being talked about with such certainty and zeal that it’s only going to translate into a toxic mess of shattered expectations when the console and price are revealed.

I mean theyr are showing to the press is even possible that is not coming in 2024?

They showed it to devs, not press at Gamescom.

But devs have been talking to the press. ;D

At this point i'd think it's safe to say that the console will definitely release in 2024, question now is if it's H1 or H2. ^^

I think the days of Nintendo creating bespoke chip designs
Nintendo hasn’t done this in a really long time… and they aren’t the only one.

Last Sony console that did this unique bespoke chip endeavor was the PS3 in 2006 and the last time MS did it with ATI was the 360 with the programmable shaders, and that was 2005. And even that is contentious with MS since they technically did contract them for it and kept exclusivity for a while before that became a thing on PC.

None of the console manufacturers are making their own chips. They commission the specs of what they want, what their goals are, what it’s emphasis and focus should be and work with the vendor they commissioned to, set the goal of how much it costs per chip and how much they would want to invest over the course of X amount of years before the planned obsolescence and buy the chips in bulk when done making the chip itself in R&D.

So I’m not really sure where you’re getting the info from that they make this stuff.

To make a chip from scratch, two of these companies don’t have the R&D budget or move to do that and the other is not a hardware company so they make no sense in doing it especially because XBox isn’t their biggest division.

Apple is an example of this, they create and do all in house from hardware to software, and that is several billions of dollars in R&D.

What Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft do is work closely with their selected vendor, and this is a very close relationship to get the job done. They are there every step of the way. They understand the hardware and the software as best as the one that make it first hand because they are also involved the creation process of what they are getting.

Bespoke hardware in the video game space came and went really quickly because it’s not worth the R&D at all. It’s a headache and a massive time and money sink.

I wonder what you mean when something isn't gimmick.
For example, is VR a gimmick? What about the controls you use in VR, is it also a gimmick?

If not, the wiimote were always called gimmick, but the motion controller are being used for all VR devices now.

If you think it's also gimmick. What about a default controller, because before that we had keyboard and mouse and joysticks to play games with.

I love the special features Nintendo implement. Most of them are standard. Also the gyro sensor in controllers are a must have for FPS games.
A lot of the evolution in the gaming industry is because of nintendo. I dislike the word gimmick, gimmick is something that sounds like a cheap useless product from China.
I share your opinion and was actually using the word gimmick positively, to mean a creative and surprising innovation that enriches the gaming experience and potentially has a lasting effect on the field. I know that's not how it's used for the most part nowadays.

But since this is a Nintendo enthusiast forum I believe most of us appreciate the innovations they bring to the table with each new piece of hardware. I really look forward to learning of whenever hardware is revealed, they almost always bring a smile to my face and get my imagination running with possibilities.

Also I miss the IR sensor bar and pointer controls.

Nvidia knows what they're doing, just get the heck outta their way and let them work.
and how exactly is nvidia supposed to do that if, as you said, “Nintendo isn’t really involved and they should just leave it to nvidia”

Are nvidia mind readers, do they use their supercomputers to use AI to create a likely scenario for what Nintendo wants? Come on now

oh fuck do i hate the people that deploy that argument or the "nintendo gonna nintendo" shit. u can just feel them leaning back after typing that and smiling smugly, confident that they have automatically won. worst type of assholes.
everyone got the notion/idea Nintendo always do weaker/underpowered consoles, so they saw the VGC/Eurogamer new reports on Nintendo next hardware and trough this seen too bogus, too unnintendo to do on her next hardware

everyone got the notion/idea Nintendo always do weaker/underpowered consoles, so they saw the VGC/Eurogamer new reports on Nintendo next hardware and trough this seen too bogus, too unnintendo to do on her next hardware
It's fine. They'll feel vindicated when the FLOPS leak and ignore everything else (including their eyes when we see games running, lol).

They'll probably be content with that until it releases and sucks all the air out of the market, then the bitching and trolling will commence again.

These aren't amateurs they are the best in the world at doing this of course they had probably already mapped out way in advance what they could do in a Switch successor even as far back as 2017/2018. If anything they probably had to explain to Nintendo that the DLSS and Tensor Cores can really help out a hybrid system and had to show them what it can do.

That's probably where the chief "collaboration" is, DLSS is so good, you don't probably just want it as a bonus feature, wouldn't surprise me if its integrated directly in to the Switch 2 software kit right off the bat, as in Nintendo may just want devs to use it as standard. Why render at even 1080p if you don't have to.
So your position this whole conversation is:
“Nintendo dumb, Nvidia genius!”

Because the whole time you’re always saying Nvidia has the best engineers in the world, hyping them up at every opportunity, while at the same time bringing Nintendo’s engineers down.

Come on, now. You’re talking about Nintendo as if they’re a bunch of clueless kids, like Nvidia went to them to present DLSS and Upscaling in a “ELI5” type of way to get that through their skull.

If your argument this whole conversation comes from a position of thinking Nintendo is dumb because they made the Wii U, I don’t even know why you’re here.

I really can't see Nintendo rocking the boat too much with the new console's core design and features. They're on to a winner with the Switch design and if they can get to the point (maybe via DLSS) that they're routinely getting the same games that PS5 and Xbox are getting, then that in itself will be a huge selling point. Current gen games on a true portable would be huge for the console's reputation, both among gamers and third parties. It might be why they'd prioritise a power boost this time around and lay off on the 'gimmicks'.

Nintendo have always been a gen or two behind because of their need to keep things portable, but if DLSS continues in its sorcery, it could be the golden opportunity they have needed to significantly close that gap.

Think I’m going to need to back out of Nintendo communities pretty soon - some of the assertions from fans about future hardware are already wildly unrealistic and being talked about with such certainty and zeal that it’s only going to translate into a toxic mess of shattered expectations when the console and price are revealed.
Please specify these wildly unrealistic assertions so that we may avoid making them. It's certainly not the VGC report doing so, as it clearly states the Switch 2 will not reach the raw power of current gen consoles. It's not the regulars of the hardware thread, who have been beating the drum of "stronger than PS4, weaker than Series S" based on leaked specs for over a year now. The number of people who believe this can stomp the Series S much less the PS5 and XSX are far and few and far between. Most people speculate a PS4+ console with DLSS to achieve some kind of visual parity with the current-gen. Is this possibility so out of reach that it has become wishful thinking? The mere existence of DLSS and RT does not transform this into a desktop class chip, it would ultimately still be using a 2 year old Tegra SoC scaled for low power consumption.

Smart.

Sure, but I didn’t say it needed to sell quickly. Again, the question was what price threshold would make the console less desirable. I think $399 is where some people will start talking themselves out of it leading to fewer and slower sales than its predecessor.
I mean Nintendo do have the option to subsidize the price of Switch 2 and sell it at a loss, like Microsoft and Sony are used to doing. Nintendo have traditionelly wanted to earn money on console sales as well as software sales, but if they would prioritize selling as many Switch 2 as possible then subsidizing the price would be a natural step.

I mean Nintendo do have the option to subsidize the price of Switch 2 and sell it at a loss, like Microsoft and Sony are used to doing. Nintendo have traditionelly wanted to earn money on console sales as well as software sales, but if they would prioritize selling as many Switch 2 as possible then subsidizing the price would be a natural step.
They have the option but little incentive to subsidize for a device that most likely will be flying off shelves. The margins will already be thin so may as well squeeze whatever extra profit you can.

Please specify these wildly unrealistic assertions so that we may avoid making them. It's certainly not the VGC report doing so, as it clearly states the Switch 2 will not reach the raw power of current gen consoles. It's not the regulars of the hardware thread, who have been beating the drum of "stronger than PS4, weaker than Series S" based on leaked specs for over a year now. The number of people who believe this can stomp the Series S much less the PS5 and XSX are far and few and far between. Most people speculate a PS4+ console with DLSS to achieve some kind of visual parity with the current-gen. Is this possibility so out of reach that it has become wishful thinking? The mere existence of DLSS and RT does not transform this into a desktop class chip, it would ultimately still be using a 2 year old Tegra SoC scaled for low power consumption.
tbf, you could also describe Lovelace GPUs as 3 year old Ampere GPUs scaled for low power consumption (and then clocked up for performance). Architecturally, NVidia hasn't gone very far since 2020. A 4/5nm Ampere Tegra is more similar than not to NVidia's current cutting-edge cards.

tbf, you could also describe Lovelace GPUs as 3 year old Ampere GPUs scaled for low power consumption (and then clocked up for performance). Architecturally, NVidia hasn't gone very far since 2020. A 4/5nm Ampere Tegra is more similar than not to NVidia's current cutting-edge cards.
This is what I believe, I am oversimplifying it because even breathing the words 'cutting-edge' and 'Nintendo' in the same sentence will get you admonished. Comparing it to the Tegra X1 which was 2 years old by the Switch's release at least contextualizes it for folks who believe Nintendo would 'never' do this, xyz.

I think this thing will hit the bucks hard.

SwOLED in my country, when converted, is roughly $430. Switch 2 will hit $500 easily.

I think they will place it at around 400-450 eurodollars.

I feel like the general gaming audience is now used to hardware being somewhat pricier than it used to be so Nintendo knows they can get away with leaving their usual price range.

yeah cuz only china makes cheap useless products
Well they have the biggest shops selling garbage gimmicks.

Not the only one no, but they are familiar with it doing it in a big scale.

That doesn't mean all of their products are garbage. Thats another discussion

So your position this whole conversation is:
“Nintendo dumb, Nvidia genius!”

Because the whole time you’re always saying Nvidia has the best engineers in the world, hyping them up at every opportunity, while at the same time bringing Nintendo’s engineers down.

Come on, now. You’re talking about Nintendo as if they’re a bunch of clueless kids, like Nvidia went to them to present DLSS and Upscaling in a “ELI5” type of way to get that through their skull.

If your argument this whole conversation comes from a position of thinking Nintendo is dumb because they made the Wii U, I don’t even know why you’re here.

My point is in 2023, graphics design has changed a lot from even the Iwata and Yamauchi eras (the 90s and 2000s).

There is no shame in Nintendo not really being anywhere near as involved in the design process of the hardware. There's no shame in even just using a straight up off the shelf complete SoC.

It's like saying a guy who plays basketball a couple of times a week and even played at a good level in high school should feel bad if they get destroyed 1 on 1 against an NCAA Div 1 college player or something or even an NBA player. There's nothing embarrassing or no need to feel defensive about that.

Nvidia's design staff are the cutting edge of graphics design and philosophy it's their job to think about that 24/7 and they have an R&D budget and spend that dwarfs anything Nintendo would have in that category. They had the best engineers and designers in class for graphics/chipset design outside of maybe Apple who has even more money to spend than Nvidia does.

Last edited:
Nintendo is in a wonderful position if they have nvidia as the soc supplier and if they simply call it Switch 2.

The fact that both sony and ms are "trapped" with AMD, and that they released both their consoles in my opinion 1 year too early (no hw dlss) lets me think that the switch 2 might have impressive performance.

Issues im seeing are: memory!

-ssd, ram and cartridges might be as always a bottleneck. Im curious about the ram bandwidth as well as size

My point is in 2023, graphics design has changed a lot from even the Iwata and Yamauchi eras (the 90s and 2000s).

There is no shame in Nintendo not really being anywhere near as involved in the design process of the hardware. There's no shame in even just using a straight up off the shelf complete SoC.

It's like saying a guy who plays basketball a couple of times a week and even played at a good level in high school should feel bad if they get destroyed 1 on 1 against an NCAA Div 1 college player or something or even an NBA player. There's nothing embarrassing or no need to feel defensive about that.

Nvidia's design staff are the cutting edge of graphics design and philosophy it's their job to think about that 24/7 and they have an R&D budget and spend that dwarfs anything Nintendo would have in that category. They had the best engineers and designers in class for graphics/chipset design outside of maybe Apple who has even more money to spend than Nvidia does.
I disagree with this narrative of "Nintendo doesn't know what it's doing...graphically at least".

There are very technically focused/savy folks (and higher ups I might add) who are quite familiar with todays modern graphics pipeline. Yes, that includes ray-tracing, frame-generation, and ray-reconstruction. "Why aren't we seeing this then?/Why aren't Switch games on the same graphical parity as a PS4 at least? Show me the money!" Because Nintendo is a game-design focused company and game-play will always get top-priority more than just raw presentation and aesthetics. But you'd be a fool to think Nintendo has done nothing new to their rendering pipeline in the last few years. Heck, the recent Pikmin 4 even uses Unreal Engine, and this isn't the first time they've experimented with a 3rd party engine, either.

The thing is that you’re just saying this stuff without any sort of insight on how things are done. How do you know Nintendo knows nothing about this stuff? How do you know Nintendo has no engineers savvy enough to at least collaborate with Nvidia? Nintendo’s engineers have to work on their own, proprietary engines. They NEED to know about the inner works of the GPU pipeline if they want to get the maximum out of the device’s capabilities.

And if they know Tegra X1’s limitations by working on it for more than 6 years, they probably would have requirements for their next SoC.

So, again, I don’t see why you keep saying Nintendo is doing nothing but wait for Nvidia to magically guess what they need and then just accept whatever Nvidia presents them. That makes no sense.

Also, you just brushed past the part I talked about Sony and Microsoft having input on what AMD delivered on their consoles.

This time, things are very different to TX1’s choice. Nintendo didn’t have enough time to choose and went for what Nvidia had in their shelves. But even then they had requirements. TX1 was just closer to what they wanted in a short time. Now, they’re gonna want a device that fits their requirements better.

The thing is that you’re just saying this stuff without any sort of insight on how things are done. How do you know Nintendo knows nothing about this stuff? How do you know Nintendo has no engineers savvy enough to at least collaborate with Nvidia? Nintendo’s engineers have to work on their own, proprietary engines. They NEED to know about the inner works of the GPU pipeline if they want to get the maximum out of the device’s capabilities.

And if they know Tegra X1’s limitations by working on it for more than 6 years, they probably would have requirements for their next SoC.

So, again, I don’t see why you keep saying Nintendo is doing nothing but wait for Nvidia to magically guess what they need and then just accept whatever Nvidia presents them. That makes no sense.

Also, you just brushed past the part I talked about Sony and Microsoft having input on what AMD delivered on their consoles.

This time, things are very different to TX1’s choice. Nintendo didn’t have enough time to choose and went for what Nvidia had in their shelves. But even then they had requirements. TX1 was just closer to what they wanted in a short time. Now, they’re gonna want a device that fits their requirements better.

I've already said Sony/MS have more "input" really because AMD needs their business. They can't afford to lose that business as they have no where near the options or financial position Nvidia does. Nvidia is now so big they're basically dragging the stock market on their shoulders as much of the entire S&P500's gains are coming from them just recently (AI hype is real). AMD is not even on the same planet.

Just from a blunt financial perspective it doesn't make any sense to spend a ton of Nvidia's time/resources from Nintendo's POV when they already know their shit inside out and can give you hardware that is probably well beyond anything in your ambitions as a game maker from Kyoto that makes mostly cartoony video games.

Like if you have a high priced lawyer, can you call them and schedule a meeting every day to reassure yourself and give them insights and run strategy with them? Sure you can. But you bet your ass you're also going to be billed every hour you do that. No one is working for free. This is why no one does heavily custom chips anymore, they're all derived from GPUs that basically have already been made by either Nvidia or AMD with some modifications here and there (less for Nvidia).

I've already said Sony/MS have more "input" really because AMD needs their business. They can't afford to lose that business as they have no where near the options or financial position Nvidia does. Nvidia is now so big they're basically dragging the stock market on their shoulders as much of the entire S&P500's gains are coming from them just recently (AI hype is real). AMD is not even on the same planet.

Just from a blunt financial perspective it doesn't make any sense to spend a ton of Nvidia's time/resources from Nintendo's POV when they already know their shit inside out and can give you hardware that is probably well beyond anything in your ambitions as a game maker from Kyoto that makes mostly cartoony video games.

Like if you have a high priced lawyer, can you call them and schedule a meeting every day to reassure yourself and give them insights and run strategy with them? Sure you can. But you bet your ass you're also going to be billed every hour you do that. No one is working for free. This is why no one does heavily custom chips anymore, they're all derived from GPUs that basically have already been made by either Nvidia or AMD with some modifications here and there (less for Nvidia).
Okay… I’m out xD

Someone certainly came here with an agenda, fortunately it doesn't look like anyone is stupid enough to buy it. You'd probably have better luck somewhere else like gameFAQs.

this just shows how little you know despite the amount of words you put into your posts. you say shit like this despite not looking at AMD's financials in years

Back
Top Bottom