• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Eurogamer: "Nintendo demoed Switch 2 to developers at Gamescom ahead of widely-expected launch next year."

MondoMega

Puffball Enthusiast
Pronouns
She/They

In Cologne last month, Nintendo's public Gamescom showfloor booth let you play Pikmin 4 and Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. But behind the scenes, the company had more up its sleeves.

Developer presentations for Switch 2 took place behind closed doors, Eurogamer understands, with partners shown tech demos of how well the system is designed to run.

One Switch 2 demo is a souped up version of Switch launch title Zelda: Breath of the Wild, designed to hit the Switch 2's beefier target specs. (To be clear, though - this is just a tech demo. There's no suggestion the game will be re-released.)
Nintendo is yet to publicly discuss plans for its inevitable Switch successor, though its new hardware is widely-expected to launch at some point in 2024. Word that it is now being shown to external developers comes as details have begun to emerge around when we may see the system launch.

A recent report pinned Switch 2's arrival for the latter part of next year, with development kits now in the hands of some key partners. This chimed with what Eurogamer had also previously heard, though on timing I understand Nintendo is keen to launch the system sooner if possible.

Now there will be a rush of "insiders" to say: "I can confirm now... until now I couldn't speak because I was under NDA, but now that EG has started the dance..."

Last edited:
Two key points are:
  • BOTW updated version (tech demo?) showed;
  • Seems like Nintendo wants to release the console sooner than later
Let's see what will happen, exciting times

I'm so happy to hear that they're keen on launching the system earlier if they can get it done in time.

I can't wait for this thing. Switch is neck and neck with the PS2 for my all time favorite console.

Give it to meeeee.

VGC Report
Seems like many outlets will be following suit with their own articles now. VGC add a few more details in their account of the tech demos:

One ‘Switch 2’ demo is understood to have been an improved version of the Switch launch title Zelda: Breath of the Wild, running at a higher framerate and resolution than the original game did, on hardware targeting the new console’s specs (but there was no suggestion the game will actually be re-released.)

Another VGC source claimed that Nintendo showcased Epic’s impressive The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo – originally released to showcase the power of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X in 2021 – running on target specs for its next console.

The demo is said to have been running using Nvidia’s DLSS 3.5 upscaling technology, with advanced ray tracing enabled and visuals comparable to Sony and Microsoft’s current-gen consoles.

That DLSS 3.5 part is SPICY, given most common conclusion was that it would be limited to DLSS 2 versions, since there's some DLSS 3 parts that require the current generation of nVidia GPUs.

Late Edit:

Before anyone get's their hopes up by reading this post, DLSS 3.5 was mentioned in the report by the time i posted this. It has been removed by now, only stating general DLSS.

Last edited:
Really gets my mind racing in regards to how souped-up the BotW demo actually was.

If just improved AA? Never mind.

Buuut… If ray-tracing? Gief.

Really gets my mind racing in regards to how souped-up the BotW demo actually was.

If just improved AA? Never mind.

Buuut… If ray-tracing? Gief.

Well ... if you wanna show people the power of DLSS, then i think we're talking about 60fps at DLSS'd 4K resolution.

That would also kinda fit that part about the Matrix UE5 demo, performance wise.

E:

Well, the DLSS 3.5 dream might be dead. VGC has edited that part out.

At this point I'm fairly certain that all the rumors are true. I'm not exactly super excited for a new console because it'll likely cost a shitton for me, but it will be 7 years by that point, and that's a really good run. Definitely much more logical than all the "Switch Pro" stuff and people who yelled about Switch 2 in 2020.

Another VGC source claimed that Nintendo showcased Epic’s impressive The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo – originally released to showcase the power of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X in 2021 – running on target specs for its next console.

The demo is said to have been running using Nvidia’s DLSS 3.5 upscaling technology, with advanced ray tracing enabled and visuals comparable to Sony and Microsoft’s current-gen consoles.

If the report is accurate, the long wait is going to feel even longer now.

EDIT: Damn, they removed the 3.5 mention from the article...

According to VGC:

"Another VGC source claimed that Nintendo showcased Epic’s impressive The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo – originally released to showcase the power of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X in 2021 – running on target specs for its next console.

The demo is said to have been running using Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology, with advanced ray tracing enabled and visuals comparable to Sony‘s and Microsoft’s current-gen consoles."

This is a dream come true.

Man, the next 3D mario is going to look amazing on this thing. Odyssey already made really good use of the switches hardware, and galaxy/galaxy 2 are two of the best looking wii games

Last edited:
Well. Seems like the floodgates are about to open up.

I'm surprised they didn't wait until after TGS for this. Because by that point, there would've been two events where this info could've been leaked from instead of just one.

I can't believe we actually reached this point. 2024 it is.
$70 BOTW LFG
And $80 for Mario Kart 8 Super Deluxe. Let's fucking go.

Oh, and Mass Effect Trilogy, Dark Souls Trilogy and native Kingdom Hearts ports.

BOTW updated version (tech demo?) showed;

We should all keep in mind that "Nintendo demos new hardware with Zelda demo" is a tale as old as time... as old as the n64, at any rate, and it doesn't really mean much as to whether said title is getting an update. The gamecube and Wii U ones were based heavily on OOT and TP respectively, and even the N64 one is clearly "What if LTTP but 3D"

(The Wii and Switch obviously had Zelda titles at launch)

Now there will be a rush of "insiders" to say: "I can confirm now... until nowI couldn't speak because I was under NDA, but now that EG has started the dance..."
Yuuuuup. I'm not on Twitter anymore but I bet most so-called insiders send out tweets like:
  • "This is in line with what my sources told me..."
  • "There is more, but can't speak of it yet..."
  • "Nintendo seem to target the rumoured specs"
etc etc

Always the same song.

"Comparable to Sony and Microsoft's current gen consoles" is a little vague, but at least we're certain the Switch 2 will be a significant jump up.

Yuuuuup. I'm not on Twitter anymore but I bet most so-called insiders send out tweets like:
  • "This is in line with what my sources told me..."
  • "There is more, but can't speak of it yet..."
  • "Nintendo seem to target the rumoured specs"
etc etc

Always the same song.

See it this way, the more coming out with "Yep thats the stuff we've been hearing too" the harder it might become for Nintendo to find out who talked first and punish them. ;D

I’m way more excited about them showing UE5 tech demos than upscaling or ray-tracing. Hopefully the new hardware handles UE5 very well because UE4 performance on the current system has been really inconsistent.

See it this way, the more coming out with "Yep thats the stuff we've been hearing too" the harder it might become for Nintendo to find out who talked first and punish them. ;D
Haha, that's true. Don't want anybody get ninja'ed by Nintendo, but I really come to dislike "insiders" chasing for clout and riling up communities. And people are so hungry for breaking news they lap it up.

Keen to launch it sooner if possible sounds to me that if they have a good enough software schedule, they might do it.. but it hinges on that.

September feels like a real good slot to me

Haha, that's true. Don't want anybody get ninja'ed by Nintendo, but I really come to dislike "insiders" chasing for clout and riling up communities. And people are so hungry for breaking news they lap it up.

The timing is somewhat surprising though. After TGS for example, there would've been two possible sources for leaks, thus more difficult to find the culprit.

The timing is somewhat surprising though. After TGS for example, there would've been two possible sources for leaks, thus more difficult to find the culprit.
This is true. Maybe Nintendo plans something on or around TGS (maybe a Direct?) where some of this news will break and mentioned that at the closed showcase? If that's the case maybe publications and "insiders" chose to go public now to still have a scoop (which is quite sad in its own way but is the simple result of the online fishing-for-clicks economy).

Keen to launch it sooner if possible sounds to me that if they have a good enough software schedule, they might do it.. but it hinges on that.

September feels like a real good slot to me
seems like there "Primed 4" the console launch

Is this the same article that said instead of this stuff being locked behind a door that requires a badge to enter, they instead had a big bodyguard? (AKA a GOON) cause if so that’s hilarious.

This is true. Maybe Nintendo plans something on or around TGS (maybe a Direct?) where some of this news will break? If that's the case publications and "insiders" chose to go public now to still have a scoop (which is quite sad in its own way but is the simple result of the online fishing-for-clicks economy).

Well, not in the Direct. Such stuff would have and warrant it's own event.

In the end, the more devs getting to know about the next system, the more likely it is to leak. (Looking at you Ubisoft!)

Who knows, if Eurogamer's hearings about Nintendo doing what they can to have an earlier than H2 release, we really might not be too far off from the announcement.
Though 2023 is still somewhat unrealistic.

This is true. Maybe Nintendo plans something on or around TGS (maybe a Direct?) where some of this news will break and mentioned that at the closed showcase? If that's the case maybe publications and "insiders" chose to go public now to still have a scoop (which is quite sad in its own way but is the simple result of the online fishing-for-clicks economy).
I think ever since they showed off the WiiMote at TGS, they have a silent agreement with them to not show anything anymore there?

My only hope is that the end result of these demos are the following conclusions by Western developers: 1) Nintendo is committed to the hybrid format, 2) it will be straightforward to port existing games to this new hardware based on the specs.

If both are true, we should see a slew of announcements in the 6 month launch window for last gen games that skipped the Switch (e.g., GTA, RDR2, CoD, Cyberpunk, sports games, Diablo 4, BG3, Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor, Dead Space Remake, Remnant 2). On the Japanese side, I just hope Capcom has been brought onboard early enough.

Back
Top Bottom