• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Eurogamer: "Nintendo demoed Switch 2 to developers at Gamescom ahead of widely-expected launch next year."

I reckon that the comment "comparable to Sony's and Microsoft's current gen consoles" leaves things open to interpretation.

I figured Switch 2 would be on the PS4 level, or maybe slightly higher. I'd be ecstatic If it turns out to be more of a PS4.5 or even PS4.75 thing - especially if the battery life is decent.

I'm thinking that Nintendo due to never being as rich as a company than they are today has made them more willing to change business practices. I think with Switch 2 Nintendo could even go the Sony route of being willing to lose money on console sales and earn money due to software sales and subscription services. That could explain why they are now willing to pump out a powerful, modern console that must cost a lot more to produce than the Switch did.

I remember when Eurogamer put out a detailed report saying the NX was a hybrid console with detachable controllers and that it used cartridges.

It feels like it's finally time.

I reckon that the comment "comparable to Sony's and Microsoft's current gen consoles" leaves things open to interpretation.

I figured Switch 2 would be on the PS4 level, or maybe slightly higher. I'd be ecstatic If it turns out to be more of a PS4.5 or even PS4.75 thing - especially if the battery life is decent.
It may be on a hardware level. But you are forgetting:
1. Architecture improvements between 2013 and now.
2. The pure wizardry that is DLSS
3. The pure efficiency ARM has. Look at a MacBook Air M1, with 12 hours of battery life running Resident Evil. It's incredible.

Just like Switch performs way better than a PS3 and Xbone despite having a less brute power.

I'm calling it now.
Switch 2 is going to have better resolution, framerate, ray tracing, than the Series S. NVidias software and hardware integration is just so good, that it will easily make up of any shortcomings in brute power the Series S has. Especially if Nintendo doesn't cheap out on RAM. Games that will be specifically optimized for a DLSS environment, in a closed console, is going to be literal wizardry. Especially as developers for the Switch 1 have developed huge talent for porting to lower end hardware. That talent will make for far better ports.

Time for the "what framerate, resolution, bounce amount, and object density can the Switch 2 run Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty" test.

To determine how comparable, loll.

"Comparable" is good enough.
Maybe it wont be exatly the same under a microscope, but it'll proably be close enough that it'll be extremely hard to tell what's a DLSS'd Switch and whats a Xbox/Ps5 game unless we're looking at it side by side.

Heck, even I have a hard time telling the difference in Performance/Fidelity visuals on PS5 games a lot of the time

I mean, people on Era are already going crazy because the Switch 2 might dare to have "comparable" visuals to the PS5 when that doesn't mean that it will have the same specs at all.

My personal thoughts are that on paper the Switch 2 is somewhere between base PS4 and PS4 Pro, but in practice it'll be roughly on the performance level of the Series S, mainly thanks to 1) newer architecture and 2) Nvidia just straight up completely running rings around AMD when it comes to DLSS vs. FSR and ray tracing performance (like, RDNA2 is comically bad at raytracing compared to Nvidia's RTX hardware, AMD have gradually been getting better at raytracing performance with more recent hardware but they're still a long ways off and that doesn't help the current consoles which are stuck with hardware that kinda sucks at raytracing).

They just need the right amount of RAM and IO/loading improvements and, hopefully, the system should be able to run any Xbox Series/PS5 game without too much in the way of compromise.

If the above case is accurate, I dunno whether to feel bad for Microsoft betting on having the Series S at all or consider it a blessing in disguise for them, since it would encourage developers to optimize for the lowest-level hardware, which is likely the Switch 2, which the Series S would only benefit from,

It may be on a hardware level. But you are forgetting:
1. Architecture improvements between 2013 and now.
2. The pure wizardry that is DLSS
3. The pure efficiency ARM has. Look at a MacBook Air M1, with 12 hours of battery life running Resident Evil. It's incredible.

Just like Switch performs way better than a PS3 and Xbone despite having a less brute power.

I'm calling it now.
Switch 2 is going to have better resolution, framerate, ray tracing, than the Series S. NVidias software and hardware integration is just so good, that it will easily make up of any shortcomings in brute power the Series S has. Especially if Nintendo doesn't cheap out on RAM. Games that will be specifically optimized for a DLSS environment, in a closed console, is going to be literal wizardry. Especially as developers for the Switch 1 have developed huge talent for porting to lower end hardware. That talent will make for far better ports.
The CPU is going to be a long way off from Series S.

Reading comprehension is difficult.

I must know, i had english as a focus course in high school, so i had to do a lot of reading comprehensions.

Internet people go crazy when something points out Nintendo could have a console powerful enough to run games PS5/Xbox run for sure.
Man, some gaming community people need to touch grass.

BOTW in 60fps?? LETS GOOOOOO
God I wish that would happen. BOTW and TOTK with Switch 2 graphics/performance patches would be quite the selling point.

If I were Nintendo I'd have people working on graphics/performance patches for both Zelda games, Mario Odyssey, the Xenoblade games, and Splatoon 3, the latter of which incidentally still has at least a year of support ahead of it and Side Order, its main DLC expansion (and presumably only notable expansion) will be out by the end of the year.

I'm thinking that Nintendo due to never being as rich as a company than they are today has made them more willing to change business practices. I think with Switch 2 Nintendo could even go the Sony route of being willing to lose money on console sales and earn money due to software sales and subscription services. That could explain why they are now willing to pump out a powerful, modern console that must cost a lot more to produce than the Switch did.
I think that's possible, depending on how they analyze their current success.

In my opinion, the fact that Switch was relatively high powered when it released (compared to what technology could deliver at the time and in that form factor and price range) had a meaningful contribution to its extended life cycle and market demand.

In that sense Switch is definitely similar to Sony systems, which normally enjoy more years of support. If this view is shared by Nintendo they may be willing to lose some money if they believe it'll add a couple more years of high demand to the second half of the product's life.

They could even continue to support both platforms if it's profitable for them.

I really wish Nintendo isn't going to launch a new system with a BOTW Definitive edition to showcase the REDACTED graphical capabilities over the Switch, as a selling point for the new console

that would be a Wii U-like disaster in terms of marketing, unique-selling-proposition and so on.

I really wish Nintendo isn't going to launch a new system with a BOTW Definitive edition to showcase the REDACTED graphical capabilities over the Switch, as a selling point for the new console

that would be a Wii U-like disaster in terms of marketing, unique-selling-proposition and so on.
they probably aren't. the article even says as such. a Zelda demo for a new system isn't even unusual, it's the norm

This is a fun time we're entering. I'm really curious if Nintendo will go all in on DLSS upscaling.

Though this is why Prime 4 will be tied to the Switch 2 reveal. It's gonna be a looker.

Internet people go crazy when something points out Nintendo could have a console powerful enough to run games PS5/Xbox run for sure.
Man, some gaming community people need to touch grass.
I mean considering the original Switch ran quite a few Xbox One/PS4 games surprisingly well you'd think people wouldn't be quite so skeptical. Nintendo wants this thing to actually run third party games, for pete's sake.

This is a fun time we're entering. I'm really curious if Nintendo will go all in on DLSS upscaling.

Though this is why Prime 4 will be tied to the Switch 2 reveal. It's gonna be a looker.

DLSS is basically THE solution Nintendo has been longing for ever since they dropped out of the spec race with Wii.

It's literally going to be a game changer for them.

Really juicy info looks like the Switch 2 will be quite the beast.
It only needs to be fully backward compatible and we'll be golden

I mean considering the original Switch ran quite a few Xbox One/PS4 games surprisingly well you'd think people wouldn't be quite so skeptical. Nintendo wants this thing to actually run third party games, for pete's sake.
With Nintendo partnering with nVidia and not only not getting fucked over but actually benefiting from what that company is best at while Sony and MS are somewhat held back by AMD's capabilities, the tables have in a way turned when it comes to performance per dollar. It's very interesting to see!

DLSS is basically THE solution Nintendo has been longing for ever since they dropped out of the spec race with Wii.

Yep. DLSS is what Nintendo needed since they’ve pivoted from the GameCube. This gives them what they still want to do and the power on top of it.

With Nintendo partnering with nVidia and not only not getting fucked over but actually benefiting from what that company is best at while Sony and MS are somewhat held back by AMD's capabilities, the tables have in a way turned when it comes to performance per dollar. It's very interesting to see!

I'm willing to believe nVidia also gave Nintendo good conditions, maybe even pushed for some better tech at the same price, because they know that this device will be DLSS' Trojan Horse for the console market.

It's the combination of a portable form factor, ARM cpus becoming as good as they have, and nVidia's technology. It's a plan that has been cooking for a very long time, I'd say about 20 years.

With all this "comparable to" talk I wanna see some comparisons with the Series S now. I know the Series S struggled with that Matrix demo, and if the Switch 2 outperformed that I think I can rest easy and assume 3rd party support is going to be (mostly, like 99% other than some wacky ass MHW type of situation game) good.

Certain games would get a new lease of life with a performance patch.

Bayonetta 3
Xenoblade 1-3
Yoshi’s Crafted World
Link’s Awakening

I feel like expectationss are getting carried away a bit to the point when it gets revealed people will be mad

looks at Starfield
And yet, look at what TOTK can do with Switch's weak cpus. I think it proves that clever design, good programming and smart optimization can still get you far as well.

I had thought of the Matrix Demo, primarily because Epic mentioned the Switch on stream back then. Can’t lie… The petty in me is resisting the urge to revisit the speculation thread for “Keep Your Expectations In Check” posts (I felt like a one-man band pushing back against this, daring others to expect…), and host a banquet of crow sandwiches.

I just want to see it in action, especially with EPD teams. They just got a game made with UE4, all very new and exciting for them.

Back
Top Bottom