• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

The DKC games portray DK and the crew as reacting to outside forces.

Like, the only reason they get into these adventures is because the Kremlings/Tikis/Snowmads start shit.

So yeah, I can see it. DK is a hero, but not in the same vein as Mario. Don't get in his business and he's quite happy to chill and not get involved.

For the most part the Kongs just bum around their island and not give a toss about what goes on worldwide. It feels pretty in universe for DK to not wanna get involved in Mushroom Kingdom business.

Right. It's a Kong thing. That Twitter thread on the previous page suggests that Cranky is going to have to get cajoled into helping Mario/Peach, one way or another.

DK seems more like Goku, where he will fight to help his friends and family, but doesn’t necessarily go out of his way to fight bad guys as long as his way of life isn’t upended.

Does that make K. Rool Freeza? 🤔

Like, the only reason they get into these adventures is because the Kremlings/Tikis/Snowmads start shit.

So yeah, I can see it. DK is a hero, but not in the same vein as Mario. Don't get in his business and he's quite happy to chill and not get involved.
Yeah, the "not altruistic" angle doesn't contradict anything. But at the same time, I don't think anyone played a DK game (outside of maybe Jungle Beat) and said, "Right, the main character here is not altruistic, that's one of his defining traits!".

Perhaps the Japanese translations were more explicit in this regard.

DK seems more like Goku, where he will fight to help his friends and family, but doesn’t necessarily go out of his way to fight bad guys as long as his way of life isn’t upended.

No it makes K. Rool Vegeta. Constantly fuckin with him to try and prove he's better.

I think it makes sense for a Mario movie to not necessarely have DK as a "knight in shining armor" type considering his history within Mario's own franchise is that of a villain or obstacle.

Look man, DK just wants to live a simple life with his little buddies and animal friends and the world just won't let him.

kingk.rool4.jpg

This, more or less, matches what I always believed. DK is basically a "kaiju". A decidedly more amiable kaiju compared to say, Bowser, but no less a force of nature that can and WILL wreck your shit if you wrong him, his friends, his home or cross some other threshold.

He even lives on an island, far away from civilization, with others of his kind and their allies!

This, more or less, matches what I always believed. DK is basically a "kaiju". A decidedly more amiable kaiju compared to say, Bowser, but no less a force of nature that can and WILL wreck your shit if you wrong him, his friends, his home or cross some other threshold.

He even lives on an island, far away from civilization, with others of his kind and their allies!
"DK as a kaiju" is how he was portrayed in Jungle Beat. I mean, look at the final boss

Smash reinterpreted K. Rool as a kaiju too, a rival force of nature. It's really Godzilla vs. Kong.

These two examples, where the kaiju angle is explicit, come from Japan. In the Western games, it's more subtle... to the point it might have not been what the devs intended ("Kremling as industrializing evil" is a theme of DKC, "K. Rool as a kaiju"... I don't think so).

"DK as a kaiju" is how he was portrayed in Jungle Beat. I mean, look at the final boss
Yep! It's one of the reasons I wouldn't mind seeing more of DK's "ruthless" personality come out to play, and I'm glad that old antagonism between himself and Mario is taking center stage in the film (even if it will likely stem from a different source).

You already got Mario and Yoshi for being two (usually) friendly mascots. Let DK be the one that's ready to throw hands and put some mofos in the ground!
These two examples, where the kaiju angle is explicit, come from Japan. In the Western games, it's more subtle... to the point it might have not been what the devs intended ("Kremling as industrializing evil" is a theme of DKC, "K. Rool as a kaiju"... I don't think so).
Maybe, but you'd still have to acknowledge that K. Rool started off, in many ways, following after Bowser's example, before doing more to go his own way, as they embraced the more manic, and outright cruel aspects of his character. Still a "monster", but definitely a different shade of it!

Even Bowser wasn't feeding his own minions to some oversized beast...

Gotta say it’s weird how I’m learning about the Vicarious Visions DK game proposal from DKVine and not a serious news outlet or even other dedicated video game forums.
Yeah, not even Nintendo Life covered it. It's a big deal, and for those familiar finally details about this scrapped game.

Well, the last Kongversation really just went through the details we were discussing here, but I feel the important part is that not a single mention of N. Sane Trilogy's development was the cause of VV's departure (it was Destiny 2 support, in actuality); -- Again, would be weird, when NST was pitched internally by VV in late 2015, when the Bala brothers were still at the company. Personally, I still don't buy the whole recycled assets from DK Freedom in NST either, as I mentioned here it was one of the aspects that was actually toned down for the final release.

Either way, I hope that rundown by Hyle is what is needed to clear up any confusion about the cancelled game, what is pure speculation and the future of DK as brand.

Last edited:
Couldn't really get into Jungle Beat but I think evil Kongs are a pretty cool idea.
It's really a game that I would love to like, but I can't really. I admire Koizumi a lot and it's the first EPD Tokyo game, I love Donkey Kong which is for me an IP of gigantic importance in the history of video games, I also think that evil jongs are a good idea, I think that the game is inventive and original but...I don't really like it, I'm not interested. I thought it was because I was too attached to the Rare games on SNES, but I found the Retro games great too, with an exceptionally good level design, even if they have much less personality than the Rare games in my opinion, so I have to face the facts: it's just that basically, I don't like Jungle Beat.

And a little voice inside me doesn't stop hoping that EPD Tokyo won't try to double down, and go for something different. A new DK game that would be a 3D World like would fill me with joy.

It's really a game that I would love to like, but I can't really. I admire Koizumi a lot and it's the first EPD Tokyo game, I love Donkey Kong which is for me an IP of gigantic importance in the history of video games, I also think that evil jongs are a good idea, I think that the game is inventive and original but...I don't really like it, I'm not interested. I thought it was because I was too attached to the Rare games on SNES, but I found the Retro games great too, with an exceptionally good level design, even if they have much less personality than the Rare games in my opinion, so I have to face the facts: it's just that basically, I don't like Jungle Beat.

And a little voice inside me doesn't stop hoping that EPD Tokyo won't try to double down, and go for something different. A new DK game that would be a 3D World like would fill me with joy.
Jungle Beat is my favorite DK game, but I get where you are coming from. Even putting aside the lack of Rare characters, it's hard to like Jungle Beat as a Nintendo platform. It's the most SEGA-ish game Nintendo ever developed, closer to arcade platformers such as Sonic, NiGHTS, and Jet Set Radio than Super Mario Bros, Yoshi's Island, or Wario Land. Star Fox 64 might be the closest Nintendo game, but Star Fox is not a platform.

In Jungle Beat, you are not supposed to explore the levels looking for secrets or enjoying some platformer setpieces -- rather, you have to chain your moves creating long, long combos, maximizing the banana you'll get as soon as you hit the ground (but if an enemy touches you, you lose everything). You are also supposed to play the same levels over and over until you master them (you haven't finished Jungle Beat if you haven't got all the platinum medals).

This video focuses on the Monkey Fest level. It is the quintessential JB level and highlights the essence of the game.

There are also some gameplay elements in common with later 3D Mario games. There's a "rhythmic" feel in the level design and how DK moves, which you can also feel in 3D Land/World and some parts of Galaxy 1-2 and Odyssey. Mario in Galaxy also makes a very little jump sometimes when he's near a surface, as DK. The "use melon to defeat boss" mechanic also returns in Galaxy (but to be fair, it's the Phantom Ganon fight from OoT). And one of the later levels is literally in space, although there's no gravity gimmick.

So we have a DK game that plays like a SEGA game, with no reference to past DK games but with lots in common with future Mario games. I absolutely love JB, but I can see why it's not for everyone. :p Still, approaching the game from these angles (arcade SEGA game + "pilot episode" of EPD Tokyo Mario series) might help you like the game more. I used to hate classic 2D Sonic games because I thought I had to "go fast". One day, I read one long post on Gaf or Era, explaining these games are not about "going fast", but rather building momentum by exploiting the level design. It was eye-opening, and I finally had a blast with Sonic.

Still, if Jungle Beat is not for you... nothing wrong with that!

Have to say I disagree about the Retro games having less personality part, it's an opinion I've seen sometimes that the Rare games have more atmosphere/personality than the Retro games and I just don't feel that way, but otherwise I agree with what you're saying. I've enjoyed pretty much all the DKCs and DKC-like games, even DKC2/DKC3 which I don't like as much (unpopular opinion about DKC2 ik) I've still at least played through once.

Jungle Beat isn't really even much of a platformer from what I've played, at least from what I remember it was more about the combos/combat. I tried it for a bit but I just don't think it's for me. Still, I'm open for EPD Tokyo or whoever to make a new DK game, and to try new things. Right now I'm most interested in another game like DKCR/TF, or a 3D game that's basically like the 3D version of those (basically like Crash Bandicoot), but if they tried something totally different I'd be open to that also. For example, I think an open world 3D DK would be amazing, even though I don't usually play open world games.

Jungle Beat is my favorite DK game, but I get where you are coming from. Even putting aside the lack of Rare characters, it's hard to like Jungle Beat as a Nintendo platform. It's the most SEGA-ish game Nintendo ever developed, closer to arcade platformers such as Sonic, NiGHTS, and Jet Set Radio than Super Mario Bros, Yoshi's Island, or Wario Land. Star Fox 64 might be the closest Nintendo game, but Star Fox is not a platform.

In Jungle Beat, you are not supposed to explore the levels looking for secrets or enjoying some platformer setpieces -- rather, you have to chain your moves creating long, long combos, maximizing the banana you'll get as soon as you hit the ground (but if an enemy touches you, you lose everything). You are also supposed to play the same levels over and over until you master them (you haven't finished Jungle Beat if you haven't got all the platinum medals).

This video focuses on the Monkey Fest level. It is the quintessential JB level and highlights the essence of the game.

There are also some gameplay elements in common with later 3D Mario games. There's a "rhythmic" feel in the level design and how DK moves, which you can also feel in 3D Land/World and some parts of Galaxy 1-2 and Odyssey. Mario in Galaxy also makes a very little jump sometimes when he's near a surface, as DK. The "use melon to defeat boss" mechanic also returns in Galaxy (but to be fair, it's the Phantom Ganon fight from OoT). And one of the later levels is literally in space, although there's no gravity gimmick.

So we have a DK game that plays like a SEGA game, with no reference to past DK games but with lots in common with future Mario games. I absolutely love JB, but I can see why it's not for everyone. :p Still, approaching the game from these angles (arcade SEGA game + "pilot episode" of EPD Tokyo Mario series) might help you like the game more. I used to hate classic 2D Sonic games because I thought I had to "go fast". One day, I read one long post on Gaf or Era, explaining these games are not about "going fast", but rather building momentum by exploiting the level design. It was eye-opening, and I finally had a blast with Sonic.

I hadn't thought about it that way, what you bring up is really interesting, thank you.

The funny thing is that I have a lot of affection for SEGA's know-how otherwise. Plus,, Donkey Kong, originally, is a very iconic arcade game. The similarities that you mention are very interesting too. In fact, I think I have a problem with this "action/arcade" orientation that Koizumi instills, and at the same time, I love the energy and enthusiasm that he puts into the art direction. I believe that this is what I liked about Jungle Beat, and it was frustrating because it just wasn't the gameplay I wanted.

Have to say I disagree about the Retro games having less personality part, it's an opinion I've seen sometimes that the Rare games have more atmosphere/personality than the Retro games and I just don't feel that way, but otherwise I agree with what you're saying. I've enjoyed pretty much all the DKCs and DKC-like games, even DKC2/DKC3 which I don't like as much (unpopular opinion about DKC2 ik) I've still at least played through once.

Jungle Beat isn't really even much of a platformer from what I've played, at least from what I remember it was more about the combos/combat. I tried it for a bit but I just don't think it's for me. Still, I'm open for EPD Tokyo or whoever to make a new DK game, and to try new things. Right now I'm most interested in another game like DKCR/TF, or a 3D game that's basically like the 3D version of those (basically like Crash Bandicoot), but if they tried something totally different I'd be open to that also. For example, I think an open world 3D DK would be amazing, even though I don't usually play open world games.
I think there is also a very subjective aspect because I grew up with Donkey Kong Country 1 and it amazed me at a young age. That has to influence the feeling. I think the same thing as you about the possibilities of the license. The more I hear about this hypothetical project with VV, the more excited I get in retrospect, but like you, I'm open to anything.

Had a dream I was watching the Mario film, and the Jungle Beat monkey showed up. I was slightly worried it replaced Diddy, lol. The early 2000s must have really messed me up.

Diddy would later show up in the dream and everything was all right in the world.

I think there is also a very subjective aspect because I grew up with Donkey Kong Country 1 and it amazed me at a young age. That has to influence the feeling. I think the same thing as you about the possibilities of the license. The more I hear about this hypothetical project with VV, the more excited I get in retrospect, but like you, I'm open to anything.

Tbh, I might feel similarly about the Retro DKC games to how you feel about DKC1. Well, maybe I didn’t play them at as young of an age, I played DKCR in my sophomore year of high school. But I think I still formed a ton of nostalgia for it, and I guess similar to how some people talk about how they grew up with the SNES DKC games and love that style, I think I feel that way about the Retro DKC games.

That's a great write-up about Jungle Beat! It's not my all time favorite DK game, but it's a fantastic and underrated entry in the DK series. Many people don't like it because of his different it is compared to the Country games, but Jungle Beat proved something important. It proved that even separated from most of the Rare style and iconography, Nintendo could STILL make a great DK game! And while I welcomed the return of that style with Retro's excellent duology, I wouldn't mind another Jungle Beat style game at all!

I think atmosphere and personality are two different things. I feel like coming off of three Metroid games, Retro wanted to move away from moody ambience a bit, so as a result Returns was more vibrant and joyful than the earlier DKC games. But that doesn't mean it lacked personality... It's bursting at the seams with it. Every stage is a event full of unique level animations and assets. Tropical Freeze definitely felt more in line with the original trilogy in terms of atmosphere. It had a lot more visual variety and denser/bolder colour saturation. And obviously the return of David Wise helped in that regard as well.

I think atmosphere and personality are two different things. I feel like coming off of three Metroid games, Retro wanted to move away from moody ambience a bit, so as a result Returns was more vibrant and joyful than the earlier DKC games. But that doesn't mean it lacked personality... It's bursting at the seams with it. Every stage is a event full of unique level animations and assets. Tropical Freeze definitely felt more in line with the original trilogy in terms of atmosphere. It had a lot more visual variety and denser/bolder colour saturation. And obviously the return of David Wise helped in that regard as well.

For personality, I might kind of be able to see where people are coming from if they really enjoyed the characters/dialogue of the original games. The original DKC games had a ton of characters, and they had a lot of dialogue, funny character interactions, etc. The Retro DK games don't really have as much of that.

But, I think personality doesn't only have to come from story/characters, it can come from the world too. The Retro DK games aren't the NSMB games, their worlds are filled with life. The music is super memorable. And there's just a ton of unique details in all the worlds, plus levels are constantly doing new/interesting things. I think this all gives the Retro DK games personality, just as much as characters/dialogue would.

For atmosphere, something I've always been kind of confused about, is that it seems like "atmosphere" is usually associated with being dark or "moody." But atmosphere literally means just a mood. The jungle filled with animal/plant life in DKCR, or the bright/sunny savanna in DKTF, these are all "moods" also, these levels all have their own "atmosphere." And these games aren't one-dimensional either, there are levels like the sunset savanna in DKTF, the stormy/rainy beach levels in DKCR, etc, there's really a whole diverse range of moods/atmospheres imo.

The playable characters featured Donkey Kong with Diddy Kong mounted on his shoulders like in DKCR/DKCTF , and a Jane Goodall redesign of Pauline.
Pauline would be playable in specific stealthish sections grounded. There is a strong theory that Freedom's cancelation might have segued to her being repurposed as mayor of New Donk City in Super Mario Odyssey later on. Rambi the Rhino was the only rideable animal buddy, but keep in mind, development was very early. So those 4 (Donkey, Diddy, Pauline, and Rambi) along with possibly the Kremlings, may not have been the only characters that VV had hoped to include.

Sorry, but this detail about Pauline makes no sense considering Odyssey's own development timeline. There was no way her role as mayor was a repurpose of the VV project, especially if the thing was cancelled in 2016.

Sorry, but this detail about Pauline makes no sense considering Odyssey's own development timeline. There was no way her role as mayor was a repurpose of the VV project, especially if the thing was cancelled in 2016.
Could have been a generic female mayor/singer until they saw they saw Pauline in VV's project and went "hey, lets make Pauline the New Donk City mayor!"

Could have been a generic female mayor/singer until they saw they saw Pauline in VV's project and went "hey, lets make Pauline the New Donk City mayor!"
no, I don't really have time to explain it but the likeliest reason for odyssey having pauline in it is because the game has so much fanservice and happens to explore the ideas of mario being in settings he's never really been in e.g. real life cities that it just made perfect sense to bring pauline back

I believe that bit about VVs use of Pauline inspiring EPD to use her in Odyssey is explicitly stated to be a theory among those who heard of the VV DK story earlier. Though, the bit that DK Vine mentioned that Pauline is more classified internally as a Mario character instead of a DK character checks out. She appears in the Mario spinoffs independently of the kongs and gets the benefit of unique outfits in Tour, while before Odyssey she was always seemed to be more of a shared character between Mario and DK, if not definitely a DK character.

That's incredibly simplistic from a video game development standpoint. With Odyssey releasing in 2017, stuff like characters and elements used should've already been decided since the concept phase.

If mayor Pauline had just a cameo, I could understand, but she has a significant role in her portion of the game, including a song, unique animations, more than one outfit and plenty of environment artwork, The amount of associated assets is way too big for her to be a late arrival.

Last edited:
Obviously, early concepts for the Metro Kingdom's mayor was using Lady instead of Pauline!
image.png
=/=
image.png

Context: These comes from the same book and implies they are different characters lol

That's incredibly simplistic from a video game development standpoint. With Odyssey releasing in 2017, stuff like characters and elements used should've already been decided since the concept phase.

If mayor Pauline had just a cameo, I could understand, but she has a significant role in her portion of the game, including a song, unique animations, more than one outfit and plenty of environment artwork, The amount of associated assets is way too big for her to be a late arrival.
Maybe or maybe not. Diddy Kong Racing was originally an RC Pro Am game until 6 months before it released where Miyamoto recommended that Rare used Diddy Kong as the main character to better market the game and it became a DK game at the 11th hour. Timber the Tiger was originally the main character, hence it being located on Timber’s Island.

Then there’s the whole Dinosaur Planet becoming Star Fox Adventures bc Miyamoto thought the character Sabre looked like Fox McCloud so it became a Star Fox game.

I guess the lesson is, if Miyamoto’s involved, he may force some characters in a game that originally had no connection to the game prior to his involvement lol

Last edited:
Maybe or maybe not. Diddy Kong Racing was originally an RC Pro Am game until 6 months before it released where Miyamoto recommended that Rare used Diddy Kong as the main character to better market the game and it became a DK game at the 11th hour. Timber the Tiger was originally the main character, hence it being located on Timber’s Island.

Then there’s the whole Dinosaur Planet becoming Star Fox Adventures bc Miyamoto thought the character Sabre looked like Fox McCloud so it became a Star Fox game.

I guess the lesson is, if Miyamoto’s involved, he may force some characters in a game that originally had no connection to the game prior to his involvement lol
You cannot compare a game from the 64 era to one from the HD era. Development is much different from back then.

An average N64 game could be feasibly be made in 1 year and a half, maybe less depending on teamsize. Odyssey alone took around 4 years, since development started after 3D World.

Last edited:
This headline always got me the most:

Ds03dYp.png

"Another damn Donkey Kong Country" said with such exasperation as if it was the 10th one Retro made even though it was their second. It was a sequel to a three-year-old game that sold remarkably well on Wii, after the series was mostly relegated to spin-offs for a decade. What exactly did they expect and why were they so frustrated? I don't get it at all.
I think the thing that pisses me off the most about this is that DKCR outsold every single Metroid Prime game at the time combined. Even it if it was another damn DKC game, it had a damn good reason to exist.

Metroid Prime is one of my fave games so this is not anti Metroid Prime bias.

I have just discovered this thread so I will def be hanging out here more. DK is my fav Nintendo thing, love 64 and seeing the rap the other day was one of th best things that has happened to me this year lol.

Hope we get that old rumored DK game sooner than later

Am I the only one who thinks that the Mario Movie feels like a big effort to revitalize DK? I would go as far as saying that this might be one of the key reasons why the movie exists at all. When I look at the trailers, DK takes such a major role, he even shouts his own name "its on like Donkey Kong!" as if they wanted to remind us that he exists. A game release would perfectly fit this holiday, since the Switch is now at the end of its life and will be useful for bringing B-tier franchises to the mass market.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Mario Movie feels like a big effort to revitalize DK? I would go as far as saying that this might be one of the key reasons why the movie exists at all. When I look at the trailers, DK takes such a major role, he even shouts his own name "its on like Donkey Kong!" as if they wanted to remind us that he exists. A game release would perfectly fit this holiday, since the Switch is now at the end of its life and will be useful for bringing B-tier franchises to the mass market.
Once the film and theme park opens, DK will be the biggest it's ever been I think. If DK is the holiday game, we could very well see DK shoot up to A tier or potentially S tier depending on what type of game it is.

Between the Mario movie, the parks, the potential DK movie (which seems like they could even potentially announce sooner than we think, especially if Mario does bonkers at the box office as expected), and a new game to be the Switchs last big hurrah/kickoff the next system (personally I predict that we'll finally see the game this year), I think DK will slowly climb back to his A tier spot back during the Rare Era.

Yeah I would not be shocked to hear more about a DK spinoff movie by this summer, and I really think it is time for that long rumored DK game to hit. Hoping for 3D.

The Kongaissance is about to begin

Wow, that's like putting together a piece of the puzzle that I had lost since my childhood lol I always wondered about the name, as a kid I thought it had something to do with Country music (lol) and even as an adult it didn't make much sense to me as the game is set on a island.

I've now added the new segment of the OP i've made mention of before! Once again need to express my thanks to @CyberWolfJV for creating the wonderful timeline of Donkey Kong releases!

Back
Top Bottom