• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

Sharing some disappointing news. It's like one of those "Santa Claus" moments when you find out he doesn't exist.

This was a learning experience for me as someone who is passionate about hobby journalism. It's important to seek objective truth that can be backed up by hard evidence, and not seek what you want to be real. I've spoken with journalists and the definitive conclusion is that everything in this story is unverified.

We know VV worked in some form on DK in the past, that's it. Period. Any further claims after that are unverifiable.

I won't go into the details, and you are free to speculate on this game. But in my eyes, it's just a pure fanfic story that was built upon a real cover.
People in this community are awesome, and I feel really bad for you. But the reality is that claims shared originate from very specific sources. And everyone else has simply been repeating them. I'm not naming anyone as I don't want anyone to feel extra sad from this news, that they were fooled imo.
In conclusion, ANY claim on the game is unverified, whether that's concepts, developer stories, plots, and themes etc.
All we know for sure is that the project existed, nothing else.

And no, in my view there has never been any "40 seconds video footage." That was BS as well. And DYKG won't be covering this either, one other journalist hinted to me that they have already debunked claims privately too.

I'm signing myself out of this. Take care everybody

The Vicarious Visions Donkey Kong game was definitely real, and I stand by all of the details I shared. But the details I shared are now being conflated with other, more tenuous claims that I cannot independently verify. Furthermore, YouTubers like Nintendo Prime are dubiously claiming to have seen footage of the game, which I don't believe for a second. The main takeaway from all of this is that Nintendo is determined to make Donkey Kong a major franchise again, but you shouldn't need me to tell you that. If you listen, you can hear it coming.

So a little bit of background. A lot of the information I got on this game came from here and is what I reported. However, when shown just a tiny smidge of evidence I reached out to several journalists and others. When I heard back, the only confirmation that seemed consistent was that VV worked on something DK a long time ago. But nobody really knew about most of the things I shared from this thread.

The 40 seconds of footage was shared with me via a video call with a particular person. It was as I described on my podcast. Of note, the footage wasn’t full screen and small, and I said that on my show. Having seen a smidge of credibility behind the VV involvement, I was willing to make that one video. The video stuff, the 40 seconds, I was never sure if that was real. It was a difference source than the journalist who responded and unfortunately a quick one time look wasn’t enough for me to verify it. The reason I believed it may be real is this person also provided evidence (images) from the VV offices.

However, it was dubious enough that I didn’t want to make a follow up video about it. Figured we would talk about it on the podcast and that’s that.

The freedom name was floated to me from here. Certainly never expected the podcast to get picked up of course. Never had that happen before and maybe that’s me being naive. Only my normal videos seem to get picked up. Lesson learned.

That’s my story basically. Almost all my details came from here save one person showing me that, and even then that person could have sourced VV images from someone else. It was never solid enough for me to put into a stand alone video like I usually do.

Will suck if none of this stuff was true but VV.

Famiboards > Internet > Famiboards
Basically. Save my video stuff that I could have been duped on. Certainly wasn’t comfortable making a video talking about it. All I heard when reaching out was VV worked on DK. Made me feel like maybe the rest has some validity since I heard it all at once here.

I have repeatedly said though that true or not it kinda doesn’t matter? Because one consistent truth in the story is that Nintendo is making one in house at EPD and no one has any details on that one, and that it was after whatever this thing was. So I always said it’s a neat and fun story if true, but wasn’t really sure it was relevant for what we will get from the Big N.

I think I can self admit as a big DK fan that hopium certainly plays a role. Lesson learned to just phrase this stuff as a fun discussion versus the way I handled it.

I'm actually surprised that they were allowed to say that. I figured official Nintendo magazines were nothing but promotional outlets for their products.

Nintendo magazines employ a lot of double speak to skirt around stuff like that in the early days. And in later years, they were very ruthless on third party games.

I mean, that is also a little silly.

In general, DK fans seem to be a bit too invested in the "discourse" within online Nintendo fanspaces when it's probably one of the least important factors determining the fate of the series. It's time to let go.
How do you want DK fans to spend their time for every nine years without anything to play? Play other video games? Gross. 🥸

How do you want DK fans to spend their time for every nine years without anything to play? Play other video games? Gross. 🥸
Play the older games again. And again. And again.

I guess some of you aren't as big DK fans as you claim.

giphy.gif

Wait, you're telling me the details about the project people were showcasing using DREAMS might have been largely fabricated? WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING

In all seriousness, while I personally always thought it sounded fanfictiony, I'd also be kind of glad if the information ended up being false as to not set up expectations. In the sense that, I want to go in not having some ridiculous expectations, or at least for others to do the same. It'd suck if this story was reported by tons of other big players only for people to be disappointed with the result. I just want everyone to be excited for a DK game.

In general, DK fans seem to be a bit too invested in the "discourse" within online Nintendo fanspaces when it's probably one of the least important factors determining the fate of the series. It's time to let go.
Someone you never hear about Pikmin fans getting persecution complexes, even before 4.

You know what. That's it. I'm leaving the Nintendo community and becoming a purple pikmin.

I hope in due time this gets cleared out. I'd rather accept being wrong and learning the truth than comb over every minute detail to see whats accurate and yet still never find out.

Though from what I understand as of now the basic facts that VV DK at one point existed, and now EPD DK is underway are not being contested, correct?

So a little bit of background. A lot of the information I got on this game came from here and is what I reported. However, when shown just a tiny smidge of evidence I reached out to several journalists and others. When I heard back, the only confirmation that seemed consistent was that VV worked on something DK a long time ago. But nobody really knew about most of the things I shared from this thread.

The 40 seconds of footage was shared with me via a video call with a particular person. It was as I described on my podcast. Of note, the footage wasn’t full screen and small, and I said that on my show. Having seen a smidge of credibility behind the VV involvement, I was willing to make that one video. The video stuff, the 40 seconds, I was never sure if that was real. It was a difference source than the journalist who responded and unfortunately a quick one time look wasn’t enough for me to verify it. The reason I believed it may be real is this person also provided evidence (images) from the VV offices.

However, it was dubious enough that I didn’t want to make a follow up video about it. Figured we would talk about it on the podcast and that’s that.

The freedom name was floated to me from here. Certainly never expected the podcast to get picked up of course. Never had that happen before and maybe that’s me being naive. Only my normal videos seem to get picked up. Lesson learned.

That’s my story basically. Almost all my details came from here save one person showing me that, and even then that person could have sourced VV images from someone else. It was never solid enough for me to put into a stand alone video like I usually do.

Will suck if none of this stuff was true but VV.
Thank you for the clarification. While I'm sure your intentions were good—we all want to know why Donkey Kong has been on hiatus for so long, after all—I was taken aback when you said that somebody showed you footage of the game. Something like that is easily traceable and could get the person into serious legal trouble. Regardless, I stand by my report and that's all I can say on the matter without compromising the identity of my source.

I wouldn't blame anybody for not blindly trusting an anonymous forum poster, but here is what we know for certain: Vicarious Visions was working on a 3D Donkey Kong game and it was cancelled; EPD Tokyo is now working on a Donkey Kong game but we don't know the scope or direction of the game; the two games aren't necessarily connected. No matter what gets announced, I'm confident that Donkey Kong is in good hands. Nintendo cares about this franchise just as much as we do.

In other news, a certain "leaker" put out a hilariously salty blog post—filled with ad hominem attacks, misattributed quotes, and outright lies—and called the entire report "bullshit." How's Mario Kart X coming along, big guy?

In other news, a certain "leaker" put out a hilariously salty blog post—filled with ad hominem attacks, misattributed quotes, and outright lies—and called the entire report "bullshit." How's Mario Kart X coming along, big guy?
LOL I already know who this is just based on the way you describe his reaction.

No. I need every person who complained about Tropical Freeze’s reveal to regret it for the rest of their days.

I’ve been a DK fan since DKCR, but I was kind of taking a break from video games at the time TF was announced, and luckily also wasn’t really following with online video game talk type stuff.

I kind of got back into video games, and started following the online talk about them, around late 2014, only learned later that there had apparently been a meltdown about TF when it was revealed. And meanwhile I was playing/really enjoying it as one of my favorite games ever lol.

I'm so glad I wasn't a Metroid or DK fan when Tropical Freeze was announced. Sounds like terrible times for the bis
I was both, and let me tell you that the first half of the 2010s was not a good time for Metroid fans. The whole fandom was in disarray and had quite a toxic reputation among other Nintendo fans at the time. I can safely say things have changed and the Metroid fandom, in my experience, is full of wonderful and very friendly people. The Wii U era was just rough on everybody and brought out some bad vibes.

It's weird that DK and Metroid thrive while the other goes through a drought/dull Era. After Super Metroid there was nothing until Prime and Fusion, while DK had its entire Rare Era in that period. Then as Metroid gets Fusion, the Prime trilogy, spinoffs and Other M, DK is stuck in port and spinoff hell, sans Jungle Beat. Then DKCR rolls around, near the same time as Other M, and gets a sequel while Metroid gets Fed Force, and not much else. Now, in this current Era, we've had Samus Returns, Dread, Prime Remastered and MP4 announced all in the span of 5 years with no games from DK. Now I've been a DK fan much longer than I've been a Metroid fan, but I really want both series to thrive at the same time!!

It's weird that DK and Metroid thrive while the other goes through a drought/dull Era. After Super Metroid there was nothing until Prime and Fusion, while DK had its entire Rare Era in that period. Then as Metroid gets Fusion, the Prime trilogy, spinoffs and Other M, DK is stuck in port and spinoff hell, sans Jungle Beat. Then DKCR rolls around, near the same time as Other M, and gets a sequel while Metroid gets Fed Force, and not much else. Now, in this current Era, we've had Samus Returns, Dread, Prime Remastered and MP4 announced all in the span of 5 years with no games from DK. Now I've been a DK fan much longer than I've been a Metroid fan, but I really want both series to thrive at the same time!!
outside of remasters and a potential fusion remake I'm not expecting a brand new metroid for a little while after prime 4

Only one Western focused series at a time

Id happily sacrifice a few series to get consistent DK/Metroid releases. I don't want to be on a Famiboards watch list though, so I won't specify!
Only one Western focused series at a time
Two if you include Zelda. In other words after Tears of the Kingdom releases, it's time for Metroid and DK to reign supreme!

outside of remasters and a potential fusion remake I'm not expecting a brand new metroid for a little while after prime 4
i agree. Although not long. I expect nintendo is already producing spin offs with the (expected) success of MP4 and maybe due to the (possible) unexpected success of MPR.

Nintendo's failure to find a permanent home for Metroid for a very long time is/was? frustrating but somewhat understandable. It's never been a massive seller and Retro did three entries back to back in a very short time.

With Donkey Kong, considering its sales potential, it's straight up baffling that it's been so long since Tropical Freeze, assuming Retro's cancelled project wasn't a DK game. But I guess it's also nice to know that they aren't (entirely) motivated by monetary gain and would rather get the right people together to head a project. I expect the next game, whether the EPD project is real or not, to be a confident showing.

Nintendo's failure to find a permanent home for Metroid for a very long time is/was? frustrating but somewhat understandable. It's never been a massive seller and Retro did three entries back to back in a very short time.

With Donkey Kong, considering its sales potential, it's straight up baffling that it's been so long since Tropical Freeze, assuming Retro's cancelled project wasn't a DK game. But I guess it's also nice to know that they aren't (entirely) motivated by monetary gain and would rather get the right people together to head a project. I expect the next game, whether the EPD project is real or not, to be a confident showing.
it 90% wasnt DK, considering tanabe and retro went separate ways. Also the fact Retro was hiring writers and SCI-FI composers (such as Alexander Brandon, from Deus EX, he did end up in the switch port of TF, but i absolutely doubt that was all he was hired to do lol, back in the day he even made some enticing posts about it)

it 90% wasnt DK, considering tanabe and retro went separate ways. Also the fact Retro was hiring writers and SCI-FI composers (such as Alexander Brandon, from Deus EX, he did end up in the switch port of TF, but i absolutely doubt that was all he was hired to do lol, back in the day he even made some enticing posts about it)

counterpoint:

19f7e3e78bc26a1dd53d78f04389e908.jpg

Metroid fans when TF was announced: "and i curse the fans of this franchise to never see another new game while they live!" and so far it has worked it out well.
Metroid fan here! ✋

When TF was announced I was very happy because I also love DKC. And because didn't associate Retro with Metroid anyway.

Because I didn't care for Prime. 🤫

It's very fascinating to me that Miyamoto loved the Vicarious Visions Donkey Kong Freedom project and what it was

He did not like Donkey Kong 64

DK64 flew right in the face of all of his gameplay principles. And not really in a way that worked. Like the DKC games which he still acknowledges and respects.

He did like Banjo-Kazooie though. DK64 not so much.

I'm excited to hear the Kongversation about the whole story and how it developed in the last few days,... Of course, it all comes to the fact that we knew about the "western developed game" from DK Vine from years back, and I have no reasons to ever doubt Hyle!

This certainly has gone out of proportions and, if people are smart, paying attention on the fine details on this next episode should be essential to understand the situation.

Also, hopefuly some outlets will pickup the story and correct their previously misreports on the matter.

I'm so glad I wasn't a Metroid or DK fan when Tropical Freeze was announced. Sounds like terrible times for the bis
It was largely a self-inflicted wound. The internet was hyping up Retro's next project due to recent hirings from Naughty Dog and assuming it meant they would be making some massive game. Some of the hires expressed how the project was a dream project and that led to wild assumptions. When Tropical Freeze was announced, it went against expectation & the people who overhyped themselves got mad.

Mercury Stream will almost certainly have Metroid 6 on Switch 2, I reckon.

The funny thing is for all the feuding (imagined or otherwise) between the fanbases, we were united in getting both K. Rool and Ridley into Smash.

3fd.png

It's very fascinating to me that Miyamoto loved the Vicarious Visions Donkey Kong Freedom project and what it was

He did not like Donkey Kong 64

DK64 flew right in the face of all of his gameplay principles. And not really in a way that worked. Like the DKC games which he still acknowledges and respects.

He did like Banjo-Kazooie though. DK64 not so much.

Where was it stated that he did not like DK64?

Thank you for the clarification. While I'm sure your intentions were good—we all want to know why Donkey Kong has been on hiatus for so long, after all—I was taken aback when you said that somebody showed you footage of the game. Something like that is easily traceable and could get the person into serious legal trouble. Regardless, I stand by my report and that's all I can say on the matter without compromising the identity of my source.

I wouldn't blame anybody for not blindly trusting an anonymous forum poster, but here is what we know for certain: Vicarious Visions was working on a 3D Donkey Kong game and it was cancelled; EPD Tokyo is now working on a Donkey Kong game but we don't know the scope or direction of the game; the two games aren't necessarily connected. No matter what gets announced, I'm confident that Donkey Kong is in good hands. Nintendo cares about this franchise just as much as we do.

No problem. I’m pretty open about stuff if it won’t harm anyone behind the scenes and I’m sure at this point I was mislead by someone with intentions that weren’t pure, but I am glad I never made an individual video on it because it felt off. Now I know I need to be much more careful with how I word things on the podcast too. I don’t want people to mistake things because I didn’t feel the need to clarify on a show that’s mostly only watched in house. I guess I should realize my channel is growing, and getting more attention, so I have a greater responsibility with how I speak.

Lesson learned.

I saw divine twitter claim to spill beans this Friday. I guess we will see what that’s all about.

As for that person - yeah - they name dropped me and we’re very salty and I heard about it pretty quickly. I’m definitely not perfect and not trying to be an insider. Was just chasing down a story out of hopium.

That persons record isn’t great. And I don’t know why they are salty about it. Doesn’t even involve them. But yeah, I can confirm that a lot of journalists hadn’t heard about this at all or only heard feint info about a VV DK game many years ago, but none of them seemed to have details. I have dm receipts to prove this but obviously not sharing private convos. I will just say if you want to get confirmation from journalists on a story - don’t be afraid to just ask them. They won’t probably give extra info, but they will be honest if they heard anything.

The whole story seems like it may be a mess of hopium and misinformation mixed with small bits of truth.

Christ, I just had a look.

You weren't kidding. Feels like a bit of an overreaction as to what is ostensibly Chinese whispers.

I sold off hundreds of my games a few years back, but saved all off my favorites and 3 of the most precious games in the collection are the DKC trilogy on the SNES - all complete in the box.

The first two with pricetags, those would be around 100$ a piece counting inflation today. Expensive with games back in the days, but grateful my parents still bought them for me :>

UPGZNeO.jpg

Back
Top Bottom