• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

I think it’s crazy how Funky Kong has gradually risen as a mainstay in the franchise. I wanna say that whoever made the decision to add Funky Kong to Mario Kart Wii basically assured his success lol.

I think it’s crazy how Funky Kong has gradually risen as a mainstay in the franchise. I wanna day that whoever made the decision to add Funky Kong to Mario Kart Wii basically assured his success lol.
Yeah it's pretty wild. I was never that big of a Funky fan back in the 90s. I viewed him as just another NPC. Then I noticed that everyone kept talking about him nonstop and realized he was the best character in Mario Kart Wii. I warmed up to him over the years.

Nintendo has caught onto his popularity. He was the selling point for the latest DK game and they're using him to promote the Mario movie. Wild!

I'm grateful for the Kong representation in this film but you guys are delusional. At a Mario movie ain't nobody worried about Donkey Kong, Chunky or Swanky. People heard Dixie was in the movie and flocked to theaters.

Kenan Thompson playing Funky Kong in a comedy sketch is like something I would have dreamed of as a child.

I mean that literally. Like it's something I would have had a dream about when I was 7 years old, then I'd wake up the next morning and be like "that was a weird dream."

Kenan Thompson playing Funky Kong in a comedy sketch is like something I would have dreamed of as a child.

I mean that literally. Like it's something I would have had a dream about when I was 7 years old, then I'd wake up the next morning and be like "that was a weird dream."
If someone had told me back when the thing was first announced that the Mario movie would have a scene where Swanky Kong gets into a car crash while Take On Me plays, I don't think I would have ever entertained the thought they might be serious. We live in strange times.

I think it’s crazy how Funky Kong has gradually risen as a mainstay in the franchise. I wanna say that whoever made the decision to add Funky Kong to Mario Kart Wii basically assured his success lol.
Funky is amazing in the DKC show (I don't know if I'm gonna be the only person in this thread who has any genuine appreciation for this show or if the hate is less so in the actual DK fandom but)

It's not generally considered a good show or a good representation of Donkey Kong Country, but I see a lot of genuine appreciation for the songs and some of the voice performances, particularly Cranky and K. Rool. In the K. Rool for Smash thread over on Smashboards, it was a tradition for years to welcome people with this:

I think people mainly criticize the DKC show for its poor animation. It even looked bad back then, especially when you compare it to stuff like Toy Story.

In terms of the content of the show, I think it’s pretty solid. It’s about as good as the Super Show, meaning that it’s not high art, but entertaining nevertheless. Apparently the show is extremely popular in Japan and is part of the reason why K. Rool is so popular over there

I think people mainly criticize the DKC show for its poor animation. It even looked bad back then, especially when you compare it to stuff like Toy Story.

In terms of the content of the show, I think it’s pretty solid. It’s about as good as the Super Show, meaning that it’s not high art, but entertaining nevertheless. Apparently the show is extremely popular in Japan and is part of the reason why K. Rool is so popular over there

It looked okay for TV level CG back then. Of course it wasn't going to look like Toy Story, that was a theatrical release. A better comparison would be contemporaries like ReBoot or Beast Wars.

I would not describe the show as being "extremely" popular in Japan, but it was popular enough to get some cards and a small selection of toys.

It's not generally considered a good show or a good representation of Donkey Kong Country, but I see a lot of genuine appreciation for the songs and some of the voice performances, particularly Cranky and K. Rool. In the K. Rool for Smash thread over on Smashboards, it was a tradition for years to welcome people with this:

I remember that lmao. The Kremling Kutthroats thread on SB was a fun time back then, even if the ballot stuff wouldn't pay off until about 3 years after the ballot ended

I watched the DKC cartoon at the sametime I was still actively playing the DKC games on SNES, so I have a lot of nostalgia for it; It was a popular cartoon over here at the time, since the games were also immensely popular.. in the same TV channel that broadcasted the Pokémon anime no less, so they were on a roll with Nintendo properties;

It's been a while since I last watched a complete episode tho.. and most of the Brazilian Portuguese dub seems to be lost media, believe or not! There is a community effort to find more dub episodes for a while working for years at this point.

I asked Kit and Krysta about how Nintendo views their brands internally and they had some interesting things to say about Donkey Kong and other IP. I'll put a timestamp in the video below (2:06:51) but I'll summarize here for anyone curious.

* Nintendo's hierarchy of IP basically goes Mario #1 (Pokemon tied at #1 if we wanted to count that as just "Nintendo") then just a smidge below is Zelda at #2, and then further down is the kind of B tier brands like DK, Kirby, and Yoshi.

* Nintendo has done brand/character recognition surveys with the general public before and DK surprisingly ranks high up. He's pretty much the one that comes after Mario. (Which I can believe given how business partners in IP expansion are showing interest in DK like theme parks, the Mario movie, and now Lego)

* It seems like Nintendo has no "brand managers" for their different IP with regards to charting out the future of the IP. It sounds like people are more assigned on a project by project basis like for a particular game. This may help explain why DK's handling this generation has been odd to us in the fandom. (They've mentioned before that Nintendo does have strict IP teams but it sounds like those are more for representing the IP correctly like "you need to adjust the size of Mario's mustache" sorta stuff)

I asked Kit and Krysta about how Nintendo views their brands internally and they had some interesting things to say about Donkey Kong and other IP. I'll put a timestamp in the video below (2:06:51) but I'll summarize here for anyone curious.

* Nintendo's hierarchy of IP basically goes Mario #1 (Pokemon tied at #1 if we wanted to count that as just "Nintendo") then just a smidge below is Zelda at #2, and then further down is the kind of B tier brands like DK, Kirby, and Yoshi.

* Nintendo has done brand/character recognition surveys with the general public before and DK surprisingly ranks high up. He's pretty much the one that comes after Mario. (Which I can believe given how business partners in IP expansion are showing interest in DK like theme parks, the Mario movie, and now Lego)

* It seems like Nintendo has no "brand managers" for their different IP with regards to charting out the future of the IP. It sounds like people are more assigned on a project by project basis like for a particular game. This may help explain why DK's handling this generation has been odd to us in the fandom. (They've mentioned before that Nintendo does have strict IP teams but it sounds like those are more for representing the IP correctly like "you need to adjust the size of Mario's mustache" sorta stuff)

the Donkey Kong franchise not having a brand manager as Mario/Legend of Zelda have, might explain why we dont have a new Donkey Kong game 2D or 3D since Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freezy released on Wii U back in february 2014, Mario have Yoshiaki Kozuimi as it brand manager, Legend of Zelda have Eji Aonuma

Started DKC2 right after being very disappointed with DKc, and it's crazy how much they improved in a year. Shouldn't be possible.

the Donkey Kong franchise not having a brand manager as Mario/Legend of Zelda have, might explain why we dont have a new Donkey Kong game 2D or 3D since Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freezy released on Wii U back in february 2014, Mario have Yoshiaki Kozuimi as it brand manager, Legend of Zelda have Eji Aonuma
Miyamoto is the DK brand manager. Hyle has stated this multiple times. That's why it's been internally brought back to EPD and why he negotiated with Universal for DK to be the second area of Super Nintendo World after Mario. DK is getting a theme park section in Japan in 2024, Florida in 2025 and it's rumored they're trying to expand Hollywood to allow DK to fit in there in 2026. DK was also half of the Mario movie and is definitely getting a spin off film or series of films. Miyamoto adores Donkey Kong. His goal is to make sure DK is taken care of by the time he retires. Maybe Miyamoto has or will pass the baton to the team lead for the upcoming EPD game. With that said, you really think with all this investment of hundreds of millions of dollars in the DK brand, that Nintendo's just going to be passive on DK as a game series?

I like Kit & Krysta and value their input, but this is just a huge blind spot for them. They frankly don't even like DK and never even mention the series. I watched their video promoting Tropical Freeze on Switch when they were at Nintendo Minute and you could tell they were not enjoying themselves lol. Krysta even went out of her way to say that she's not a DK fan. All the DK happenings behind the scenes are mainly happening at Nintendo of Japan, not necessarily Nintendo of America. They also haven't worked at the company in a couple of years so they're not exactly in the know with current things going on at Nintendo anyways. It's going to be funny when people are shocked when they announce an inevitable DK movie. They're going to say, "I never saw that coming" when it's clear as day that's always been the plan. They gotta promote those mine carts for the theme park sooner rather than later :)

Last edited:

The DKC show is not good, but I can truthfully say that I unironically love that show.

I enjoyed the DKC show as a kid, have no idea if it's actually good, though.

I do remember K Rool being histerical, I think at least that character was done very well. The brazilian VA nailed him.

I like Kit & Krysta and value their input, but this is just a huge blind spot for them. They frankly don't even like DK and never even mention the series. I watched their video promoting Tropical Freeze on Switch when they were at Nintendo Minute and you could tell they were not enjoying themselves lol. Krysta even went out of her way to say that she's not a DK fan.
I do remember one of them saying on their podcast that their favorite DK game is Punch Out on Wii, so yeah they never really seemed like DK diehards lmao

Kp7yzU4.gif

I like Kit & Krysta and value their input, but this is just a huge blind spot for them.
You mean a blind spot like being hired to do marketing-centric work and then having a so-called realization years later about how this work in marketing essentially involves...doing marketing?

I know people expect 2D Mario this holiday, but I really feel it’ll be DK’s time to shine. Seems like Nintendo’s big marketing push for DK is this year.
The release of SM3DW+BF has been aligned with the park schedule. The DK expansion is announced for 2024, I can see a new DK game being released at the same time as well. Also, with the recent release of the movie, 2D Mario is a perfect Christmas title.

Considering how close 3D World and Tropical Feeeze released to eachother back in the day I could see a repeat. But instead of 3D Mario for the holiday and 2D DK a few months later, we could see 3D DK this holiday and 2D Mario 3-6 months later

I knew before the movie came out that one of its goals was to elevate the DK brand. Little did I know how prominently DK and Cranky would be in it and how profitable and culturally impactful the movie would end up being.

DK is back in the public consciousness in a way we haven’t seen since the mid 90s and with Nintendo needing to talk about the DK park within the next year, I see a game announcement happening sooner rather than later :)

I know people expect 2D Mario this holiday, but I really feel it’ll be DK’s time to shine. Seems like Nintendo’s big marketing push for DK is this year.
I feel like Mario Movie hype is too big this year for new Mario not be tentpole in that way, but I do forsee DK ending a direct in the near future, which 2d mario can't imo (3d absolutely can but I think not time yet). Like DK won't be the big holiday game but it will be a big release that ends a direct and gets a fair bit of marketing, Xeno 3 might be a good comparison but I expect better sales yet no dedicated direct

got copies of the old rare games and am reading through the (admittedly well made) instruction booklets. Does anyone else think retro kind of fucked up with Tropical Freeze Switch considering Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and I believe 64 all mention that Funky explicitly hates adventures?

got copies of the old rare games and am reading through the (admittedly well made) instruction booklets. Does anyone else think retro kind of fucked up with Tropical Freeze Switch considering Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and I believe 64 all mention that Funky explicitly hates adventures?
He hates adventures because they're boring since he's literally god

Yes actually, I don't think the role suits his personality or his design very well (the poses they put him in as a playable character look awkward to me with all the clothes he wears).

I suppose it's not like they really had much of a choice though, he was the only other Kong they had, and as a weird god mode character maybe it's for the best they didn't pick someone who would normally be playable? It's probably not really "canon" anyway. Personally though, if I had my pick I'd go all out and add Wrinkly, just let the player fly and go intangible.

My headcanon is that Funky's adventure in TF was all just a funky dream.
For me, it's more like...Funky is basically the "brilliant but lazy" Kong.

Between MKWii and Funky Mode, let alone how much he's apparently a mechanical genius/weapon smith savant, there's enough to showcase that if Funky was motivated enough, and the chips were down (re: DK and pals somehow failed), he's got more than enough natural ability to save the day all by himself.

He just doesn't see the need to, because at least for the time being, DK can handle things. He's fine being the "second banana". Because if such were otherwise, then Cranky would likely be looking at him to be the leader, and he likes chilling even more DK does.

If that's the case, let us never hope that as dire as it may get to cross the "DK" threshold, we never have to see the "Funky Mode" threshold crossed for real...!

For me, it's more like...Funky is basically the "brilliant but lazy" Kong.

Between MKWii and Funky Mode, let alone how much he's apparently a mechanical genius/weapon smith savant, there's enough to showcase that if Funky was motivated enough, and the chips were down (re: DK and pals somehow failed), he's got more than enough natural ability to save the day all by himself.

He just doesn't see the need to, because at least for the time being, DK can handle things. He's fine being the "second banana". Because if such were otherwise, then Cranky would likely be looking at him to be the leader, and he likes chilling even more DK does.

If that's the case, let us never hope that as dire as it may get to cross the "DK" threshold, we never have to see the "Funky Mode" threshold crossed for real...!
This is even more interesting with DKC2 and 3 in mind, Diddy had to take charge then Dixie and still he doesn't yet. Funky Kong secretly strongest character in the extended Mario and DK universes like all the mario rpg bosses, Gruntilda etc he demolishes everyone

This is even more interesting with DKC2 and 3 in mind, Diddy had to take charge then Dixie and still he doesn't yet. Funky Kong secretly strongest character in the extended Mario and DK universes like all the mario rpg bosses, Gruntilda etc he demolishes everyone
the story of DKC2 is Cranky asked him too and he said no because he doesn't want to lol

Imo next dk will probably be a big thing, they realize the potential with a movie, Lego toylike coming out and a theme park.

Probabaly expecting it to be huge or well, the best selling dk game, like 15-20mil

2D or 3D, DK will certainly get a Switch boost like most Ninty properties on the system. Chances are pretty high for it to become the best selling DK game too if all goes well.

I'm still holding up hope for Donkey Kong this year on our current Switch; preferentially, a 2D traditional DKC game;

At this point, I don't care if it's EPD or any other studio.. I just need this 9 year hiatus to end; This is significantly longer than even I had to suffer through Crash's hiatus (2011-2015 of nothing).. and that's accouting that DK himself is still appearing on games regularly.

Iirc the best selling DK game as of now is the snes version of DKC1 at 9 million copies. If a new game took the top spot from that it would land among the top 20 best selling Switch games, which would be pretty amazing. 15 mil would put it right on the border of the top 10 overall.
Imo next dk will probably be a big thing, they realize the potential with a movie, Lego toylike coming out and a theme park.

Probabaly expecting it to be huge or well, the best selling dk game, like 15-20mil

1_3b57dc45-a46e-4c15-80fa-983981ffba61_1400x.jpg.webp

2_91a527ad-cf56-4a91-b33b-90e500ec0fa9_1400x.jpg.webp

They knew what they were doing with all that expansion talk

As much as I'm excited for the hypothetical 3D DK project, I really need a new DKC game. It's been 9 years since Tropical Freeze and 5 years since the port. It's absolutely up there with the most overdue series in Nintendo's catalogue.

I like to look at the iconography from merch like this to decipher clues as to what to expect from the iconography of DK products moving forward. Bongos, tires, CRT TVs and hammocks look like it'll be part of the iconography as these elements were part of the Mario movie and the Smash trailers. BTW, is that a radio or a boombox in the set?

Back
Top Bottom