• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

TV Doctor Who ST | This Thread Is Bigger On The Inside

GBoMxIeXUAAz2Bf.png
I honestly wonder if morons like this guy ever watched An Adventure in Space and Time; they probably thought that depicting a woman and an Indian gay man as crucial pieces in the creation of Doctor Who was the BBC "pandering" and "being woke".

Given they're already halfway through filming the next season, this was to be expected. Looking forward to hopefully seeing an airdate :D

As a fan I‘d say Doctor Who Fans are the worst. Fortunately Doctor Who isn‘t as popular as Star Wars otherwise the internet would already be dead.

I would say that Doctor Who became woke in its fifth episode where the baddies are literal mutated space Nazis. But, ya know... Those are just silly space monsters!
These days, I have this little pastime in which I think about how people like that would react to Classic Doctor Who moments if they happened nowadays:

"Of course the feminist reporter had a scene devoted to tell another character "There's nothing "only" about being a girl". Sarah Jane is the worst!"

"Oh, so when the Doctor is attacked by the Karkus, Zoe has to save his ass. Stop emasculating the Doctor!"

"Did... did the last episode imply that Romana built a better sonic screwdriver than the Doctor's in one try?! God, this would never happen in the Hartnell era!"

It's fun! Also, depressing.

As a fan I‘d say Doctor Who Fans are the worst. Fortunately Doctor Who isn‘t as popular as Star Wars otherwise the internet would already be dead.
There was a thread on Gallifrey Base earlier in the week that was just filled with sexism and transphobia. Thankfully the owner and staff cracked down on it, banned all the involved parties, and put up a massive forum-wide message that can't be closed, but my goodness, it was just so disgusting to read.

I'm a fan of Doctor Who since I began with Matt Smith's era, but missed Jodie Whittaker's era, due to Netflix not having the series right then. Now seeing the 60th annivesary on Disney+ made me so happy. I'm looking forward to Ncuti's portrayal of the Doctor. But yeah, one thing isn't clear to me; Did Disney bought the rights to Doctor Who, or did they fund it? If so, I wonder if there would be more Lego doctor who builds are gonna be made. I have do have the Lego doctor who set at home.
550x469.jpg

This built was from Matt Smith's/Peter Capaldi's era, and included the 11th Doctor, 12th doctor, Clara, Weeping Angel and 2 Daleks.
Now, I really really really would love to see different building sets of the different doctors, from Hartnell to McGann, to Hurt to Gatwa
Whether it be different Tardis interiors (Oh, I do love to see Smith's original Tardis, and that of McGann) or places from the show. Heck, even a Lego architecture of Gallifrey would be nice.
layjcxxjde5dzlupde7c.jpg

450x450

Imagine something like this combined.
But, if Disney bought the rights, I can imagine seeing it happening, since they also make Marvel/Star Wars/Disney Lego sets

Did Disney bought the rights to Doctor Who, or did they fund it? If so, I wonder if there would be more Lego doctor who builds are gonna be made. I have do have the Lego doctor who set at home.
Basically, Disney is funding it by having bought exclusive distributing rights outside of the UK (for the new era of RTD onwards at least, though possibly the rest will come later). They do have some say in how the show is done but judging from interviews of both sides, they seem to basically leave Russell alone to do what he wants.

I do hope the Disney deal gives us some more cool stuff though, like Lego or even new videogames. (Just look at how they presented and hyped up the 14th Doctor's Sonic :LOL: )

Ooooh! Out of all TT Games' Lego games, I really would like to have a Lego Doctor Who The Videogame. While they still can have the VA's of Tom Baker, Colin Baker, Peter Davison and Sylvestor McCoy, as they are pretty old right now, it would be perfect timing to make this potential videogame.

They did something similar with Lego Dimensions, that only did go up to Capaldi's era.

The DW portion of Lego Dimensions was really cool!
I loved it! Lego Dimensions is such an underrated game honestly. Like the concept was aimed at kids, but the game itself was full of IP's that are beloved by adult fans.

These days, I have this little pastime in which I think about how people like that would react to Classic Doctor Who moments if they happened nowadays:

"Of course the feminist reporter had a scene devoted to tell another character "There's nothing "only" about being a girl". Sarah Jane is the worst!"

"Oh, so when the Doctor is attacked by the Karkus, Zoe has to save his ass. Stop emasculating the Doctor!"

"Did... did the last episode imply that Romana built a better sonic screwdriver than the Doctor's in one try?! God, this would never happen in the Hartnell era!"

It's fun! Also, depressing.
There was a thread on Gallifrey Base earlier in the week that was just filled with sexism and transphobia. Thankfully the owner and staff cracked down on it, banned all the involved parties, and put up a massive forum-wide message that can't be closed, but my goodness, it was just so disgusting to read.
Somehow, sticking to Reddit is better than this.

Since we're talking about Doctor Who video games here, the Youtube algorithm scored a rare W this morning by recommending me this video:

Very interesting stuff, some titles I didn't even know they existed. Also, it made me realize that there never was a Doctor Who point-and-click adventure game, which is kind of surprising, since the genre is a great fit for the "intellect over brute strength" mentality that DW usually champions.

Knowing that Paul McGann's Doctor only had a movie (aside from the big finish audio) and 2 short moments during the 50th anniversary and I saw a clip of the Guardians of the edge, it would be so cool to see Paul McGann as the doctor having his own set of episodes that he deserves. Actually, to admit it, I began with Matt Smith, and never watched Retro Who and Eccleston and Tennant Who. I really hope they put all the older Doctor Who stuff to Disney+ aswell, as I really want to watch Tom Baker's era, Sylvestor McCoy's era, Tennant's era and to rewatch Smith's and Capaldi's era aswell.

As on Disney+, I bet they can make a whole segment page, like Marvel and Star Wars, and put each era as a ''chapter'' like they do with Marvel's different Saga's.

First Doctor era/saga:
Second Doctor era/saga
Third Doctor era/saga
And so forth.

Since we're talking about Doctor Who video games here, the Youtube algorithm scored a rare W this morning by recommending me this video:

Very interesting stuff, some titles I didn't even know they existed. Also, it made me realize that there never was a Doctor Who point-and-click adventure game, which is kind of surprising, since the genre is a great fit for the "intellect over brute strength" mentality that DW usually champions.

I had this on my frontpage for a while now but never took the time to look into it until now, was actually really interesting!
That Sonic Wiimote is really cool, never knew about it. Also somehow, the games really liked the Emperor Dalek from Eccleston's season (though technically it also appeared in Troughton's first story, albeit a bit differently designed) :LOL:.

Knowing that Paul McGann's Doctor only had a movie (aside from the big finish audio) and 2 short moments during the 50th anniversary and I saw a clip of the Guardians of the edge, it would be so cool to see Paul McGann as the doctor having his own set of episodes that he deserves. Actually, to admit it, I began with Matt Smith, and never watched Retro Who and Eccleston and Tennant Who. I really hope they put all the older Doctor Who stuff to Disney+ aswell, as I really want to watch Tom Baker's era, Sylvestor McCoy's era, Tennant's era and to rewatch Smith's and Capaldi's era aswell.

As on Disney+, I bet they can make a whole segment page, like Marvel and Star Wars, and put each era as a ''chapter'' like they do with Marvel's different Saga's.

First Doctor era/saga:
Second Doctor era/saga
Third Doctor era/saga
And so forth.
My personal guess is they'll wait for Gatwa's first season to start and see how it does and then expand their Who catalogue, which at least should give us the episodes from Eccleston onward. No idea if they'll ever add the older Doctors, or even any of the spin offs, although I still think Sarah Jane Adventures would fit right in with Disney's other stuff.

Last edited:
Actually, to admit it, I began with Matt Smith, and never watched Retro Who and Eccleston and Tennant Who. I really hope they put all the older Doctor Who stuff to Disney+ aswell, as I really want to watch Tom Baker's era, Sylvestor McCoy's era, Tennant's era and to rewatch Smith's and Capaldi's era aswell.
FWIW, most of the 60s-80s stuff can be found on Tubi with ads, or if you've got a VPN almost everything up to present day is on BBC iPlayer without ads.

Now that he's (mostly) come and gone and before the new episode lands, want to say... I don't like the Fourteenth Doctor being treated so distinctly from the Tenth Doctor. It wasn't just another Doctor played by the same actor, but explicitly a return to a previous Doctor's mannerisms and style and personal relationships and everything. Just now older and with a lot more memories. And if that was enough to treat someone as a different person, the Eleventh Doctor could be at least two different people.

Yes, he is another regeneration in a chain... but so is the Tenth Doctor at the end of series 4, at least as it was later established. But they don't put separate images of those two in their big multi-Doctor promo images. Grover Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th President, but he doesn't get two Wikipedia pages as if they were distinct beings, and there aren't two of him in the Hall of Peesidents.

Now that he's (mostly) come and gone and before the new episode lands, want to say... I don't like the Fourteenth Doctor being treated so distinctly from the Tenth Doctor. It wasn't just another Doctor played by the same actor, but explicitly a return to a previous Doctor's mannerisms and style and personal relationships and everything. Just now older and with a lot more memories. And if that was enough to treat someone as a different person, the Eleventh Doctor could be at least two different people.

Yes, he is another regeneration in a chain... but so is the Tenth Doctor at the end of series 4, at least as it was later established. But they don't put separate images of those two in their big multi-Doctor promo images. Grover Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th President, but he doesn't get two Wikipedia pages as if they were distinct beings, and there aren't two of him in the Hall of Peesidents.

Both Davies and Tennant acknowledged that they didn't write/portray him as a different character but as the same character, only older (because they are older). There are some things that 10 wouldn't have done (14 is less arrogant and more compassionate), but yeah, under this premise, we have two Smiths and at least three Capaldis.

Both Davies and Tennant acknowledged that they didn't write/portray him as a different character but as the same character, only older (because they are older). There are some things that 10 wouldn't have done (14 is less arrogant and more compassionate), but yeah, under this premise, we have two Smiths and at least three Capaldis.
Yeah, we saw some glimpses of 10 and 14 not being exactly the same, but the format of three special episodes didn't leave much room for more.

My ideal scenario would have been Tennant staying for (at least) one full series, with 14 in the first episodes being basically a carbon copy of 10, only for him and Donna to gradually realize that he was essentially forcing himself to behave like a man that he wasn't anymore, allowing himself to eventually grow into his own, distinct incarnation; different, but still the Doctor.

Season 1 of the Ncuti era trailer!
Man. I sure hope RTD actually plans to open some of the dozen Mystery Boxes he's prestented us over the last 4 specials :LOL:

Season 14 teaser trailer, airs in Spring 2024

Last edited:
This was more so-so to me, but I honestly I feel about a lot of Christmas Specials that way. I‘m glad that we are getting new episodes again soon that have at least interesting set ups.

It wasn't super great but also not super bad, very average for me. Kinda felt like I've seen most of it before, just slightly different. Ncuti was a lot of fun but I'm struggling a bit to grasp his Doctor because so far he also seems very run off the mill: A bit quirky, a bit action hero-y, a bit empathetic, a bit flirty. I don't dislike him but I'm struggling to put a finger on a "that's definitely the 15th Doctor"-thing so far. Similar "complaints" for Ruby. We'll see what the May brings.

Yeah, so far, the new era is just... All right? It's not boring or batshit insane (at least, not yet) unlike the Chibnall era was, but I'm not really liking it so far.
14 just being another 10 and getting the privilege of having three(ish) on screen incarnations (10, Meta Crisis and Doctor Donna (and arguably Rose kind of)), being included in every single spin-off imaginable and being forced into side stories with 13 already kind of annoyed me a bit on Tennant during Jodie's era, but these specials really did not help that matter. The three episodes being a direct continuity, but otherwise nearly completely unrelated, is just such a missed opportunity to have done something special with Tennant being back with an actual reason. The online theory of The Celestial Toymaker messing about with everything just because makes a ton more sense than whatever Davies ended up cooking up. So he got his old face because he's tired of running and just needs a rest? Okay, cool... But we got this exact same story already with 11 and the Ponds. And we got the same story beats once again with 12 in The Pilot of Series 10 and when he regenerated with the big speech where he said he just wanted a rest and left it up to 13 who started and ended super optimistic despite all odds. Than there's the other moments that had me like 🤔.
The sonic screwdriver being even more OP than ever before is just... Why?! The big finale of the one actual tragic ending where there was no way of fixing it was fixed was fixed by, and I quote: "Just let it go.". The Toymaker somehow being made a fair player who would never cheat, when in the original serial (and the two Big Finish stories) that's literally his entire schtick to the point where the Doctor has to cheat his way out of beating him? The bigeneration was a terribly executed and, even worse explained, idea that makes no sense even within the story. Literally everyone is surprised by it, even the Toymaker can't seem to make sense of it as he loudly shows his confusion as it happens, but apparently it's his fault according to the Doctors. But... Why? How did he cause this? Why now of all times did this happen? And if 15 has all the memories of 14 but has the therapy out of order, what happens with 14, does he merge with 15? Does he die? What happens with his TARDIS?
I genuinely think it's Chibnall levels bad of planning and execution by dropping some huge lore (yes, yes, I know Who and lore is all wibbly wobbly) implicating element and not really doing much with it other than just dropping it in there. I get Chibnall dropped the show like a hot potato once he was done leaving nothing to hand over directly, but the way Davies handled it wasn't that great either. Everything felt very much like Davies wanting to have his cake and eating it to. I genuinely think just skipping from 13 straight into 15 would've worked better, though it would've missed the huge hype cycle of Tennant returning and probably would've meant no episodes this year, so, yeah...

And the new Christmas episode? It was fun, I'm really unsure I like seeing the Doctor go clubbing, but it was an all right episode (as most Christmas episodes are just all right). Ncuti seemed to have the time of his life, but doesn't really seem distinct yet, but time will tell. But Millie was a bit... Off? Half the time she seemed to be really unsure and seemed kind of half clueless for a lot of it, and I really mean the actor, not the character. The episode just kind of ended very weird though. So the one big Goblin was defeated and all of them just faded into obscurity? The old neighbour goes from hating on the TARDIS to seemingly just completely accepting it and breaking the fourth wall, because..? It's all just a bit... Meh, I suppose.

Seems like the core live-watching audience remains pretty constant in numbers. A bit of fluctuation but overall it remains stable. Might seem small but given the change in viewership habits, around 4.5 Million people watching live is really good!

Seems like the core live-watching audience remains pretty constant in numbers. A bit of fluctuation but overall it remains stable. Might seem small but given the change in viewership habits, around 4.5 Million people watching live is really good!
And for the 4th time in a row, it's the biggest drama of the day! Great performance. I was honestly expecting it to lose to Call the Midwife because of how huge that is but it actually beat it!

Doctor Who: The Church on Ruby Road was (in the UK):
  • The #3 most-watched show, behind Strictly Come Dancing and The King's Speech.
  • The #1 drama of the day, the first time the show has ever achieved this on Christmas Day.
    • This means it is also the first time Doctor Who has ever beaten Call the Midwife on Christmas Day, which is a very very popular drama in the UK.
  • The #1 scripted show of the day.

I mean even me who could watch it on BBC One rather watches it on Disney Plus at the airing time. Including their iPlayer App I imagine that Streaming Numbers are not a small number worldwide.

Last time David Tennant left Doctor Who, overnights dropped by 2.06m.
This time when the masses abandoned the show because obviously David Tennant is the only Doctor they care about, overnights... erm, went up 0.11m.

Love how some people on the internet are already theorizing that Mrs. Flood may be the Rani. The tradition lives on!
It might be Doctor Who's "Agatha all along"-Moment. Or it was just some weird throwaway line because RTD thought it was funny 😅

I will only be 100% behind the Rani returning if she's played by Anjli Mohindra: "She isn't just Rani anymore... she's THE Rani!"
One day we'll get The Valeyard.
In the 70th anniversary special, in which Michael Jayston regenerates... into David Tennant! And this time he's very, very angry!

I recently finally read the Day of the Doctor novelization and I highly recommend it if you enjoyed that special. As is often the case with novelizations it gets to expand on things with room for extra scenes, and since it's from Moffat himself we know it's not just expanding in ways the original writer never would've intended. It also makes good use of the text format to have things that don't really work on a TV show, like uncertainty about who the narrator is at different points. Or having the multi-Doctor segments as told from the point of view of different Doctors at different times. Here's an enjoyed excerpt from when the War Doctor first joins the other two.
But here I stood, alone. Well, almost alone. I glanced again at the two identical twelve-year-old boys who stood a few feet from me, apparently having a little squabble. This time I noticed they were dressed slightly differently, perhaps so people could tell them apart; one of them wore a big coat with a bow tie, and the other one had clearly stolen a suit from Daddy's wardrobe, though he'd only been able to find a pair of tennis shoes to go with it. Obviously they were playing dress-up. Boy wizards, perhaps, cavorting around a forest, looking for demons to battle. In my previous life, as the Doctor, I'd rather enjoyed those books, and there had been a time, long ago, when I might even have joined in their games.

I recently finally read the Day of the Doctor novelization and I highly recommend it if you enjoyed that special. As is often the case with novelizations it gets to expand on things with room for extra scenes, and since it's from Moffat himself we know it's not just expanding in ways the original writer never would've intended. It also makes good use of the text format to have things that don't really work on a TV show, like uncertainty about who the narrator is at different points. Or having the multi-Doctor segments as told from the point of view of different Doctors at different times. Here's an enjoyed excerpt from when the War Doctor first joins the other two.
I haven't read the novelization, but I recall that the bit where it's remarked that the First and Second Doctors were colorblind, ribbing on the fact that their TV adventures were in black and white caused a bit of a stir for something that was obviously a lighthearted joke.

I know Ncuti is just beginning his career as the Doctor, and I wish him all the luck and fun in that role, but the last few days kept me thinking I really would like to have a future regeneration to be crashing into the beaches of 1980's Miami, and wearing a fun green hawaïan shirt tucked into his beige denim jeans, while wearing brown suspenders, and Timberlands-like boots, while finally being ginger himself. His compagnion would be a person from the 80's from the suburban area, instead of modern times. His first Seasons would involve summer and winter ''vacation'' trips in all kinds of times (also modern), but is disturbed by all kinds of enemies. But as Seasons go on, his attire will be more serious and saying goodbye to his friend from ages in the past, who is one of the lucky persons that got to see all kinds of modern time stuff like Smartphones, electric cars and such. That would be fun to me, to have a compagnion from the 70's/80's era in the modern Who series.

Spectrum finally got around to giving everyone Disney+, so I'll finally be able to watch all these specials and the new series once it starts airing.

AI for The Road on Ruby Road was 82, which is pretty much in line with other (holiday) specials of the show. It's also now sitting at around 7 million viewers, beating all the Tennant specials that lead up to it.

I know Ncuti is just beginning his career as the Doctor, and I wish him all the luck and fun in that role, but the last few days kept me thinking I really would like to have a future regeneration to be crashing into the beaches of 1980's Miami, and wearing a fun green hawaïan shirt tucked into his beige denim jeans, while wearing brown suspenders, and Timberlands-like boots, while finally being ginger himself. His compagnion would be a person from the 80's from the suburban area, instead of modern times. His first Seasons would involve summer and winter ''vacation'' trips in all kinds of times (also modern), but is disturbed by all kinds of enemies. But as Seasons go on, his attire will be more serious and saying goodbye to his friend from ages in the past, who is one of the lucky persons that got to see all kinds of modern time stuff like Smartphones, electric cars and such. That would be fun to me, to have a compagnion from the 70's/80's era in the modern Who series.
This is a really fun idea. Freshly regenerated Doctor just washing up on some beach and the first thing they do is have a vacation :D
Would love to see a companion from a different time for once too!

I wish we had more non-contemporary companions in general. I know, I know, audience surrogate and all that, but still... There had been a few TARDIS teams with no present-day companions at all and they worked pretty well anyway.

I honestly think a non-contemporary companion could work well as audience surrogate too. It would of course be a slightly different perspective but you still can do the whole "Doctor explains stuff" :D

Or have one contemporary paired up with non-contemporary. Nardole worked well in Capaldi's last season 👀

Back
Top Bottom