• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

TV Doctor Who ST | This Thread Is Bigger On The Inside

Unexplainable cosmic horror is my favourite Doctor Who episode trope so I had a great time with Special 2. Definitely felt a lot like Midnight.

Loved it. It was interesting to see how Davies is choosing to deal with the nonsense continuity Chibnall introduced, but I'm optimistic. That small scene had more pathos in it than Chibnall was ever able to achieve with his universe-shattering stakes, so I remain cautiously optimistic

Rewatched it and I think I liked it more the second time around. Yeah, some of the effects are really iffy, the whole Mavity scene in the beginning takes away from the rest of the episode imho but the rest is pretty good.

Upon rewatch I really appreciated the smaller moments of silence between Doctor and Donna, where they actually talk to each other like two friends that haven't seen each other for years and are now catching up, where it shows that they've both matured a bit.
I'm really liking Tennant actually being allowed to act in these specials, as opposed to the majority of his run earlier on the show where he was mostly jumping around like a furret on drugs, screaming catchphrases and making grimaces. Special 1 mostly felt like season 4 redux, this felt more like its own thing.

Looking forward to next week, even though I fear it will be a bit cluttered with the Toymaker, UNIT, a regeneration, a classic companion returning and at least wrapping up the whole "what's with the old face?"-thing. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Loved it. It was interesting to see how Davies is choosing to deal with the nonsense continuity Chibnall introduced, but I'm optimistic. That small scene had more pathos in it than Chibnall was ever able to achieve with his universe-shattering stakes, so I remain cautiously optimistic
Maybe they are using the Flux and the "I don't really know where I come from" angle as Gatwa's Time War -- a source of angst and uncertainty.

Davies has certainly done more with the concepts in a minute than Chibnall in two seasons.

Even if I have some criticism, like the overall plot in the first episode and how unfished the CGI looks especially in this episode (Seriously the background of that Hallway looked just like straight out of a Videogame), at least these episodes are very enjoyable to watch. Maybe it‘s because of the familiar characters, but it probably really is because of the writing. I mean it’s an achievement to make a 1 hour episode about only two people on some spaceship with boring Corridors engaging.

But they really pulled it of IMO. They let the characters breathe, give them Strong Moments and have between all the Action Jokes that are actually funny. Unlike with Jodie where there was seemingly no time for a brake, it had at least 3 people at a time on screen and further characterisation of the doctor was kept at an absolute minimum.
Yeah, that Scene gave me actually the feeling that Flux could have been something cool if it was executed by a different Writer more careful to continuity and better in writing the doctor as a character

Last edited:
The real genius of this story is that Davies not only manages to give his characters a certain depth that Chibnall never managed to reach even in his wildest dreams... within a fraction of runtime but also sneakily hides it in a kinda mundane but very fun "base under siege"-story with some super memorable scenes. I wouldn't call it the best episode ever but it's actually a marked improvement over last week.

A subtle theme of the episode was a critique of AI, I think. "Arms are too long" is very close to "Hands have too many fingers". The giant collapsed Doctor and Donna looked a lot like early AI art. And, of course, they cannot think two different, opposite things at the same time -- they are "computers", they can only think binarily (something in common with the previous episodes, uh).

I don't think it is a coincidence because it works too well, and Davies is a writer who looks at the current climate. Under this reading, AI is an exploitative monster who tries to replace us, unless we... slow down (the progress?).

A subtle theme of the episode was a critique of AI, I think. "Arms are too long" is very close to "Hands have too many fingers". The giant collapsed Doctor and Donna looked a lot like early AI art. And, of course, they cannot think two different, opposite things at the same time -- they are "computers", they can only think binarily (something in common with the previous episodes, uh).

I don't think it is a coincidence because it works too well, and Davies is a writer who looks at the current climate. Under this reading, AI is an exploitative monster who tries to replace us, unless we... slow down (the progress?).
I really haven't seen it from that perspective that's really interesting! And I wouldn't put it past Davies either to do something like that (maybe a bit too subtle for him though) :D

A part of Wild Blue Yonder reminded me of one of the strengths of a loooong franchise that changes creative leads frequently. I was not a fan of the Timeless Child and Flux stuff the way they were executed on screen at least. But WBY made good use of them both for its immediate story purposes and letting us in on how they continue to affect the Doctor. And who knows, 20 years from now successive writers may have taken those concepts and run with them to make things as complicated as Gallifrey ever got.

A common theme I've noticed throughout the specials so far is identity: The Doctor has a previous face back, Donna getting her memories back (and thus restoring her identity) and Rose Noble in The Star Beast, the Not-things in Wild Blue Yonder.

IMG_9133.jpg

Recent DWM Cover:
Ncuti Gatwa is the Doctor!

There was also this super rare episode where the 12th Doctor breaks into a song and Graham is there too showing off his best dance moves.

I like the art direction of the trailer, but man, it looks rough. Can't they get that fan recreation that's on YouTube? Because that one legit looks very good.
And I'm also very curious if they will or will not include the problematic moment in any way shape or form. In the animation it's dropped a 100%, but I'm curious if the reconstruction will provide an unedited audio recording with the caveat that there's an acknowledgement that it was made in a different time and doesn't represent current standards.

And for those not in the know, the Toymakercasually drops a N bomb in a rhyme in (iirc) episode 2.

They look like dolls in the worst possible way.

Which might be an involuntary stroke of genius, considering the story.
And for those not in the know, the Toymakercasually drops a N bomb in a rhyme in (iirc) episode 2.
The character himself is also a very racist stereotype against Chinese people.

After having quite a hectic week, I finally got enough free time to watch Wild Blue Yonder and... that was good! Like, really, really good. The CGI was dodgy, sure, but questionable special effects never stopped me from enjoying a Doctor Who story.

On another topic, regarding the earlier discussion about how getting into Big Finish can be incredibly daunting for a newcomer, back in the day I used to visit this site: https://thetimescales.com/ in which, among other things, users can vote whether a story requires listening/watching/reading a previous story or not. So my method was to choose a Doctor or companion and check those audios featuring them that had the lowest percentage of "this story requires a previous story" votes.

"The Celestial Toymaker" is getting a 3D-animated reconstruction and it looks... rough xD

Ah, forget about these old and tired stories everyone knows about. When are they going to animate the real underrated classics? I'm sick of having to resort to recons every time I want to revisit "The Horror of Dunkaccino"!

I know people joke about things like multi-Doctor stories with 10 & 14, but it seems like any writer wanting to work with 14 is going to have to be pretty precise, yeah? Seems like almost the guy's full existence is being seen, bouncing directly from situation to situation. I know there was some sort of magazine comic that fit in between his appearance and the Children in Need short.

I know people joke about things like multi-Doctor stories with 10 & 14, but it seems like any writer wanting to work with 14 is going to have to be pretty precise, yeah? Seems like almost the guy's full existence is being seen, bouncing directly from situation to situation. I know there was some sort of magazine comic that fit in between his appearance and the Children in Need short.
Yeah, I mostly agree... but the writers will always find a way. For example, they can set a few adventures between The Star Beast and Wild Blue Yonder with the whole "TARDIS going haywire" thing as an excuse.

Where there's a will, there's a way. If someone really wants to do a story with the 10th and 14th (or just 14th), they'll find a (ever so small) gap :D
Besides, there's at least an unspecified gap between Power of the Doctor and Starbeast. Yeah, technically that one DWM comic happens and I assume the charity short but ehh... timey wimey~

Come to think of it, we already had at least a few multi-Doctor stories in which an incarnation of the Doctor teams up with himself earlier (or later, depending on the point of view) in his timestream, so a 10 & 14 combo doesn't even sound that weird compared to that.

It's Big Finish, if there's one entity that would be able to make it somehow make sense, it's the people that work there. They're huge fans of the show, and honestly, some of the highest peaks in the shows history, take place in audio form from them. We know that there's some time between The Power of the Doctor and Children in Need as well as between the CIN special and The Star Beast. And after that there's also the moment between the coffee being thrown onto the console until in Wild Blue Yonder where they've actually 'landed' onto the ship. There's enough potential to put something in between these moments, though the later gap limits the potential to just The Doctor and Donna rather than the Doctor and whoever he runs into.

RTD: This episode is so big and so full, it's more than an hour long.
Me: Oh shit, son!
RTD: It's one hour and one minute.
Me:
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fe71d1b55-1787-45a4-b95c-f518578a4b3d_1200x903.png

Good lord, I wish they'd stop dropping anything from wide screen into these tall aspect ratios, even for these types of videos. It just looks so bad :(

Ah well. Wasn't sure from the trailers so far if he was supposed to have a fake-german or french accent, I guess that clears it :LOL:

We know that there's some time between The Power of the Doctor and Children in Need as well as between the CIN special and The Star Beast.
There’s actually not any gap between The Power of the Doctor and Destination: Skaro because the Doctor Who Magazine comic Liberation of the Daleks takes place between those. All three stories lead directly into each other, and in Destination: Skaro the Doctor said that he had just regenerated 60 minutes ago, and the entirety of Liberation of the Daleks was stated to have taken place over a single hour, so there’s absolutely no room for anything else between those. It is more vague between Destination: Skaro and The Star Beast, though, so something could presumably take place between those.

Neil Patrick Harris as Toymaker was an outstanding choice. Someone who could give Tennant a run for his money when it came to scenery chewing.

Honestly, until the Bi-Generation this was a 10/10 episode. But it's really no small feat to make a regeneration feel silly. And then it kinda devolves into RTD shlock. I also don't really get the need for saying "Hey, the Doctor you've known for 60+ years is now retired!"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom