• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Do you expect to see Metroid Prime 4 at Nintendo's June Direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
See? I don't expect it, no, although it's possible. I DO expect that, if Metroid is mentioned in any way (MP1 remake/etc.) that we'll at the very least have it mentioned, though.

secretly yes, but I'm gonna say no because I don't want you guys to think that I'm an optimistic person.

They need to show something Metroid to capitalize on the Dread good will.

That being said I could see them saying MP4 is being worked on hard but and cut to MP1 remake.

Expect? Not really, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a new trailer.

They used Metroid Dread to sell the OLED to hardcore fans and I'm sure they're planning on using Metroid Prime 4 to do the same with Switch 2 / Switch Pro.

There is no Nintendo series that is more reliant on sheer graphical horsepower to provide a sense of immersion than Metroid Prime. It needs good graphical tech in a way that basically no other Nintendo game does. It'll be a perfect showcase for the new machine.

So, since they won't show the next machine in June, it's an easy no. But after 3+ years, they'd better be ready to show something if required.
Indeed. Retro has always been considered nintendo's best studio when it comes to visuals, so its very exciting to imagine how a retro switch/switch 2 game would look : )

Lots of "is this switch 2 pro" i imagine

As for whether mp4 will show up, if prime HD is real they will show it first and then nintendo will go "oh but we have one tiny thing left" and they will showcase a few seconds of an in engine cinematic. Probably not gameplay. Perhaps Sylux's new design will be shown.

Currently we're working hard on the latest game in the Metroid Prime series, Metroid Prime 4, but unfortunately today we have nothing to show/announce.
Here's something [else from the same universe] to keep you busy...

Edit: Please understand

Last edited:
Currently we're working hard on the latest game in the Metroid Prime series, Metroid Prime 4, but unfortunately today we have nothing to show/announce.
Here's something [else from the same universe] to keep you busy...
Metroid Prime: Federation Force: Pinball

I'm not expecting it, but I think there is a decent chance we'll get some Metroid news. MP remake or MP4.

I don't expect MP4 to me released until fall 2023 at the earliest. We could get some kind of trailer though. We'll see.

I expect to see something Metroid. I guess I'll say maybe Prime Remaster and another trailer for Prime 4 that doesn't really show us much of anything except maybe a subtitle.

In my defense, I've reported on Nintendo gossip for over a decade. I'd argue that no one's accuracy will be 100% perfect over the course of 10 years.

Whether people love me or hate me, I've always done my best to bring information to Nintendo fans.

Most recent example: https://gamerant.com/nintendo-indie-showcase-may-2022-rumor/
No offense meant emily! Keep up the great work, i just think that as you said, no one is 100 percent accurate (you are def up there though), except for nintendo themselves. I just think people should be careful to take rumors as fact until they are stated by nintendo themselves. That doesnt mean we cant get excited about them though

Honestly, it feels like the first "E3" presentation that Metroid Prime 4 has a real chance at appearing.

Metroid Dread has released and has done wonders for the franchise and the hype for it, it has been more than 3 years since they rebooted it, and there isn't (seemingly) nothing more metroid related on the horizon, other than Prime 4.

Maybe a small teaser like the BOTW one in 2019. I doubt we'll see extensive gameplay.

It's been 5 years since the game has been announced, it's getting kind of ridiculous to not even have a single screenshot. I hope they have something to show, but I just don't know.

Let's not forget Retro did that cover photo update earlier this year. That gives me some hope for some news this year.

It's been 5 years since the game has been announced, it's getting kind of ridiculous to not even have a single screenshot. I hope they have something to show, but I just don't know.

Basically this. They should probably show something even if it's just some screenshots or a title.

It's been 3 years since the reboot, even.

Basically this. They should probably show something even if it's just some screenshots or a title.

It's been 3 years since the reboot, even.
Yep. It’s 3.5 years since the reboot. Metroid Prime Remaster is coming. The timing lines up. Enough time has past. That’s how it works in the gaming industry. We will get an update on the game this year

IF there is a Direct in June, I don't expect it to see.
The development got restarted aroiund 3.5 years ago and then in 2020 Covid hit everyone.
And unless it is Zelda, we don't see a game for years upon years

Possible yes

But it will only be a 30 seconds - 1 minute teaser the big thing will be confirming a 2023 release date.

Are you asking we temper expectations because you aren't sure of how much has been remade / how significant the visual changes are?

No disrespect to Tantalus, but I just expect more of Retro Studios than the Twilight Princess HD treatment for Metroid Prime after all this time. It's fine if we shouldn't call it a remake for one reason or another, but I'm still hoping for something that looks like a native Switch title. Consider me mostly uninterested otherwise :/

Edit: Nate emphasized that this wasn't a small project, and that they were improving assets but keeping the core game the same. However the insistence on calling it a remaster combined with looking at Nintendo's other 'remasters' just kind of muddles my expectations.

Yes. I’m very confident we’ll finally see Metroid Prime 4 at the next Nintendo Direct alongside the Metroid Prime Remakester. It’s been long enough in development and the new social media header was posted a while ago which you wouldn’t do if news wasn’t coming soon. Whether it makes it or not, I think the game is aiming for a holiday 2023 release.

Prime 1 for Switch will be there. I trust Emily. The game turns 20, this November.

Prime 4? I have absolutely no idea, but I hope we see a glimpse, at least. I'm thirsty.

The reboot was announced in January 2019. It's been 3 and a half years, so under normal circumstances we would expect at least a new trailer this year. But 2020 and 2021 definitely weren't normal years. So i think it's too early. Maybe a small teaser in September, if we're lucky?

Last edited:
Personally, I think Nintendo will reveal Prime HD at the next Direct with a mention—not an actual revealof Prime 4. Something something, "please wait just a little bit longer" something something blah blah blah. And then they'll wait until Prime HD is released before showing Prime 4. Maybe this will be The Year™ in which it actually gets a Game Awards reveal? I dunno.

Either way, I'm squarely on the "probably not being shown at the June Direct" side of the fence.

Can't remember the last time I played the original Prime. Might be around 10 years now. Be good to have it on Switch.

I replayed the Prime trilogy late last year, so I am ready for a Metroid Prime 4 shadowdrop next month. But being more realistic, I will bet on a showing in this year's final Direct with a tentative release date of 2023.

@NateDrake heard whispers that Prime 2 and Prime 3 might be floating around on dev kits at Nintendo headquarters. I trust Nate and have no reason to doubt him, but I don't have any sources of my own to corroborate his information.

Gods I hope so. I don't expect much more than a short teaser, probably a cinematic, but I feel like maybe we'll see something this year.

See? No, but they'll probably mention it when they announce the remaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom