• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Do you expect to see Metroid Prime 4 at Nintendo's June Direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

🦇
Pronouns
He/Him
It has been almost five years since Metroid Prime 4's announcement and over three years since it rebooted development with Retro Studios. Assuming there is a Direct this June (which I think is almost a guarantee that there will be), what would you say are the chances of finally seeing something from Metroid Prme 4 in it? I'm talking along the lines of a teaser or a first look, since we haven't even seen anything beyond a placeholder title image since E3 2017.

I personally could go either way on it. I think enough time has passed to where they certainly could have something to show for it, but they might want to keep it under wraps until next year. What do you think?

I don't expect to see it until 2023. I'm not fully convinced that MP1 Remaster exists either.
I'm also not convinced Metroid Prime Remake exists. That could just be the pessimistic side of me after being burned by years of Metroid Prime Trilogy rumors. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm not getting my hopes up for it.

Do I expect it? No. Hope we see it at TGA, or maybe in September, but I would not count on that, either.

First there need to be a Direct in June, but no. I don't expect to see it if there is one.

An acknowledgment or teaser at most. And if it’s "shown", I don’t expect to see any in-game footage before the Metroid Prime remakester is out. And even if that doesn’t exist after all I don’t think we will see actual Prime 4 footage this year.

Yes. If the rumored port/remaster of Prime 1 is true, I expect them to reveal Prime 1 and then show a very short teaser of Prime 4. Emphasis on very short in that it could just be a couple frames teasing its graphics.

“Currently we are working hard on the next game in the Metroid Prime series, Metroid Prime 4. Currently we don’t have anything we can show. However, please take a look at this.”

"It's actually very close to completion. Metroid teams are always working on the next one."

I'm also not convinced Metroid Prime Remake exists. That could just be the pessimistic side of me after being burned by years of Metroid Prime Trilogy rumors. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm not getting my hopes up for it.
Yeah because Emily isn’t a proven insider? She said it’s coming. Idk why you’d have doubts from her

I do actually. If this remake is real I think they'll show a short Prime 4 teaser with a 2023 date, then follow it up with a Prime remake trailer to hold us over.

I feel like it'd be poor form of Nintendo to announce a SECOND Metroid game to be revealed AND released between the announcement of Metroid Prime 4 (even the announcement of its production reboot) and so much as a first screenshot. I think they need to show something, even if it's a pre-rendered teaser or some other small sign-of-life. I think if they prefaced the announcement of Metroid Prime Remake with "development is progressing smoothly but we still have nothing to show" it'd be pretty disconcerting. Like, I'm not saying it'd affect their stock price or anything, so they totally COULD do that, but I think it would maybe raise some red flags as to just how smoothly that development is progressing...

If they’re going to show it or re-introduce it, E3 season is the time to do it. TGA I expect gets something Zelda related this year given the proximity to the new release window.

No. They’ll mention it at most if they show off the remake/remaster of Prime 1.

i don't think we'll see Prime 4 at June's Direct, I'm also skeptical of a Metroid Prime remaster existing too (I'd love it to be true though)

No, only a mention that is being developed on and I expect it to come out 2024 as a cross Gen title for Switch 2

They used Metroid Dread to sell the OLED to hardcore fans and I'm sure they're planning on using Metroid Prime 4 to do the same with Switch 2 / Switch Pro.

There is no Nintendo series that is more reliant on sheer graphical horsepower to provide a sense of immersion than Metroid Prime. It needs good graphical tech in a way that basically no other Nintendo game does. It'll be a perfect showcase for the new machine.

So, since they won't show the next machine in June, it's an easy no. But after 3+ years, they'd better be ready to show something if required.

We'll probably see it whenever they are ready to show their next/upgraded hardware. Skeptical that would happen in June, even if hardware were to be arriving in the next 12 months, unless said hardware is landing later this year.

I have come to learn that EXPECTING anything Metroid at directs usually leaves me disappointed. I suppose the same could be said with any specific game. However, I think enough time has passed since the reboot for them to give us another update. In other words, they should show us something. Will they? I tend to be a bit pessimistic on that one.

I put it like this: There's no scenario I see where, once again, Nintendo plays the "Prime 4 is coming along well! Now, here's another Metroid thing to keep you quiet in the meanwhile! SNAP!" card at a major direct, and it doesn't go nearly as well for them this time around.

It worked for Dread because, unless you were one of those paying attention to what some insiders said in the last few years, it literally came out of nowhere, showing itself alive after some 20 years of rumors, speculation and damn near-gaslighting that questioned if it even existed. Comparably, an announcement of a remaster of Prime doesn't have nearly as much pull, even if it is one of the most beloved in the game series.

So, at best, I'd see a Prime remaster being a centerpiece, while still giving an animated trailer "using the in-game engine" to help keep the hype going. The smart thing would be to closely market the games together, anyway. "Get people Primed and Ready".

No shot. Maybe they'll mention it's well in development when they announce the remaster for Metroid Prime 1.

I don't expect to see anything about it until next year at the earliest.

This year is the 20th anniversary of Metroid Prime. So I wouldn't say there's no shot at all.

If there was ever a year to talk about Metroid Prime stuff - literally anything related to the Prime series - then an anniversary year would be a logical year to do so.

I can't see them showing a DE of Prime 1 without at the very least acknowledging Prime 4 in some way. That said, expecting them to show even a tiny teaser of the game is an entirely different thing.

It could go either way, but I'm leaning towards 'yes, in the form of a very short teaser'.

This year is the 20th anniversary of Metroid Prime. So I wouldn't say there's no shot at all.

If there was ever a year to talk about Metroid Prime stuff - literally anything related to the Prime series - then an anniversary year would be a logical year to do so.

Ah, yes, there's this, too. Dread doing as well as it did likely only further emboldened Nintendo to take Metroid, as a whole, much more seriously.

It'd only be a good look to let Metroid fans know they won't have to deal with the same "uncertainty" that plagued the brand the last decade and some change.

Nope, we are going to get the dreaded solid background with the classic "expec more information later"

This makes a lot of sense and also makes me feel really old.

Depends on the rest of the line-up for 2022, if its too full they'll most likely just save it for next year, even if it were to be just a teaser. I wouldn't mind a Prime Trilogy announcement tho, really don't want a Prime remake/remaster.

aww, I came in here like 'oh boi, a poll!'
But no poll :\

I do anticipate a Prime 4 update in conjunction with Prime 1 Remake reveal. Maybe not a full-blown trailer, but an acknowledgement and reassurance it is on the way so people don't lose their 🧠

aww, I came in here like 'oh boi, a poll!'
But no poll :\

I do anticipate a Prime 4 update in conjunction with Prime 1 Remake reveal. Maybe not a full-blown trailer, but an acknowledgement and reassurance it is on the way so people don't lose their 🧠
Oh dang I completely forgot the poll option, hahaha. Sorry about that!

my guess: they'll show MP1 and then give a teaser for MP4 that has in-game footage
This, or some kind of cinematic or something. I don't think it will be another statement like "we are working hard on the development of MP4 again" for the n-th time, but there will be something related to Metroid Prime 4 in the Direct.

Considering that Metroid has become popular now, and people who never cared about the franchise are already familiar about its existance, I think they will care more. Something similar to BotW's sequel announcement is my bet.

my guess: they'll show MP1 and then give a teaser for MP4 that has in-game footage
I don't think this would be a good idea. Either MP4 makes MP1 look bad or, arguably worse, MP1 looks good enough to make MP4 look underwhelming

it's too soon for gameplay, just a mention is good enough

I don't think this would be a good idea. Either MP4 makes MP1 look bad or, arguably worse, MP1 looks good enough to make MP4 look underwhelming

it's too soon for gameplay, just a mention is good enough
I disagree. Especially if MP1 is going to be still more of a remaster that just makes the original game look prettier, it's still going to be largely a reflection of, beloved as it may be, a 3D Metroid from 20 years ago. Whereas a first glimpse of MP4 should reflect what a 3D Metroid looks like "now" (or more like 2023-24, whenever it actually releases).

Another TP HD leading up to BOTW release situation, in other words.

I would think so. After three years of dev at retro id be surprised if they didnt have something substantial to show. Still, really wish nintend wouldnt have announced that game when they did.

Yeah because Emily isn’t a proven insider? She said it’s coming. Idk why you’d have doubts from her
Emily has definitely earned her trust. But even she has swung and missed a couple of times. You should definitely consider her insight, but we shouldnt take the word of any insider as absolute fact. Reason being is that A.) plans change, and B.) some times they just get bad info, or confused info. Not their fault of course, but it is what it is

I should clarify that I actually don't follow leaks and insiders very closely so I didn't know who the Prime 1 HD reports came from or who backed them up. I promise I wasn't singling out anybody specifically. I just personally take a pessimistic outlook on this kind of thing because I like to either be pleasantly surprised if it happens or not let down if it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom