• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Do you expect to see Metroid Prime 4 at Nintendo's June Direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@NateDrake heard whispers that Prime 2 and Prime 3 might be floating around on dev kits at Nintendo headquarters. I trust Nate and have no reason to doubt him, but I don't have any sources of my own to corroborate his information.
Yes, to expand upon this: last year I was told that Prime 2 & Prime 3 existed in some form but am unsure how deep in development they are/were and what level of work had been done. Unfortunately, I don't have any update to provide.

Prime 1 is something I have 100% confidence in. I hope we see Prime 2 and Prime 3 follow, as they are quality games and each deserve an HD life.

I feel like until there's smoke, I'm gonna assume the worst and that we have to wait another year. But hey, I should catch up with the series anyways lol

Depends on your definition of expect. I think it's more probable than not, but it's not a given either.

Only if the Prime remaster is there, and it'll only be a cinematic teaser similar to the first BOTW2 trailer.

I hope thay at least show a cinematic trailer I mean just show us something, we dont even if the suit of Samus will be different

There's absolutely no chance that they announce Metroid Prime HD without teasing MP4. It's been over 3 years since the reboot, and we've already done the whole "we're not ready to show MP4 today but here's something eise instead!" thing with Dread. Not to mention Metroid Prime 4 is a direct sequel to Metroid Prime HD.... I just can't see it.

well...maybe? the game was rebooted somewhere inbetween the end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019, so even with Covid and all, I guess is not totally irrealistic to hope for a showcase in 2022, even a small one.

If MP1 remaster is releasing this year, most likely will be showed at June Direct, and If they showing MP1,
than they will most likely gave some kind of update of MP4, so at least small trailer could be expected, IMO chanches are around 50% for small MP4 trailer.

I suspect that we'll have a first look this summer, and don't feel that Retro Studios would've put that banner on their Twitter account, if something wasn't coming up in the near future - Nintendo will want to show that there's no slowdown of software momentum, and that they have the games to drive their push for 21m Switches. I don't see signs of a slowdown, but the need to reaffirm that intent is there. I've been advocating for a third person option to fix the gameplay of the Metroid Prime Series for YEARS. We could have a faster pace and some better platforming, among other things, while it wouldn't be hell on my learning disability. If any remake or the next entry doesn't offer a third person option, then Retro Studios can keep it, tbqh.

As for the visual presentation, I thought this concept artwork was super interesting. It isn't pursuing "visual fidelity" and all that crap, but it alludes to more gameplay ideas (perhaps switching on suit features on the fly and at speed - also things you wouldn't see so easily with a first person perspective).

FoZ4sWq.jpg

I honestly think that Prime 4 will be a "safe" project, i think it will probably be "Prime 1 but in the modern era", without major changes the formula or open world stuff

I have a strong feeling about this. End with Prime HD, have it transition into a short MP4 teaser.
Yeah if they are showing something of Prime 4 than Prime HD wil probably be the last game, if not in the middle od the direct like Dread

I'd love for them to tease the game with Samus in a new suit, because you know there's going to be at least one completely original, brand new suit. Prime 1 had the Phazon Suit (more of a recolor, but still), Prime 2 had the Dark and Light Suits, and Prime 3 had the PED Suit and Hazard Shield. They've no doubt cooked up something new and cool.

Metroid Prime HD Full reveal (trailer, gameplay, release date)

+

VERY SMALL

Metroid Prime 4 teaser (free demo available for those who will complete 100% the Metroid Prime HD game, later in the year!!!)

I suspect that we'll have a first look this summer, and don't feel that Retro Studios would've put that banner on their Twitter account, if something wasn't coming up in the near future - Nintendo will want to show that there's no slowdown of software momentum, and that they have the games to drive their push for 21m Switches. I don't see signs of a slowdown, but the need to reaffirm that intent is there. I've been advocating for a third person option to fix the gameplay of the Metroid Prime Series for YEARS. We could have a faster pace and some better platforming, among other things, while it wouldn't be hell on my learning disability. If any remake or the next entry doesn't offer a third person option, then Retro Studios can keep it, tbqh.

As for the visual presentation, I thought this concept artwork was super interesting. It isn't pursuing "visual fidelity" and all that crap, but it alludes to more gameplay ideas (perhaps switching on suit features on the fly and at speed - also things you wouldn't see so easily with a first person perspective).

FoZ4sWq.jpg
Sorry if this has already been answered, but where is this concept art from?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but where is this concept art from?
I think it is a piece of concept art a former designer for Retro Studios had made public a few years ago, but I might misremember or confuse it with other artwork.

I figure we see MP Trilogy HD, MP 1 HD, or whatever it is. Then a tease or some kind of word MP 4 is still in the works. I figure we don't actually see it until 2023 at the earliest.

I don’t want to hear 2 years in a row “we know everyone is looking forward to Metroid Prime 4. Development is going well”.

You already did that last year. It’s 3.5 years since the restart. Show a little something.

I don’t want to hear 2 years in a row “we know everyone is looking forward to Metroid Prime 4. Development is going well”.

You already did that last year. It’s 3.5 years since the restart. Show a little something.
part of me wants to see a teaser.

another part of me wants them to come up with that excuse again to see a meltdown here.

another is worried about the doom and gloom that would come from that.

I don't think we'll see Metroid Prime 4. Why? Because the Prime series is my favorite series ever and the universe will not let me have this one. I also think we won't see anything Metroid Prime at all. I think E3 is Metroid Prime-free. Convincing myself now so I'm not disappointed later.

I've never responded to this question in the past 4 years, so I'm going to say no in order to guarantee it will happen.

I don't expect to see it, but it would be nice to see it despite not being into Metroid Prime myself.

Thank you for reading.

Yes, to expand upon this: last year I was told that Prime 2 & Prime 3 existed in some form but am unsure how deep in development they are/were and what level of work had been done. Unfortunately, I don't have any update to provide.

Prime 1 is something I have 100% confidence in. I hope we see Prime 2 and Prime 3 follow, as they are quality games and each deserve an HD life.

This is one of those reasons why I really hope the next Nintendo system is backwards compatible with the current Switch library. Even if under the absolute best of circumstances we would get a Metroid Prime game every year, that would put Prime 3 out by 2025. By that point surely we will be into the next system.

It should go without saying, but I know not to take your post as confirmation that Prime 2 and 3 HD versions are imminent or even in existence. That is just based on stuff that you have heard (always appreciate your tidbits by the way). My point is that Nintendo has done a great job with creating HD versions of so many classics on the Switch. It would be tragic if this library was separated from the next system entirely. Imagine Prime 1 and 4 playable only on the Switch while Prime 2 and 3 were only on the next system. Same thing if the next system can play Pikmin 1 and 2 HD versions, but not the Switch version of Pikmin 3. I understand that at some point the Switch will not be supported, but that is why backwards compatibility is so important going forward. Hopefully Nintendo gets that.

I just hope we see something Metroid Prime-esque this summer, whether it be a first look at 4 or the heavily rumored Prime remaster. I've been putting off replaying Prime as part of the MPT on Wii because of said rumors. hehe

This is one of those reasons why I really hope the next Nintendo system is backwards compatible with the current Switch library. Even if under the absolute best of circumstances we would get a Metroid Prime game every year, that would put Prime 3 out by 2025. By that point surely we will be into the next system.

It should go without saying, but I know not to take your post as confirmation that Prime 2 and 3 HD versions are imminent or even in existence. That is just based on stuff that you have heard (always appreciate your tidbits by the way). My point is that Nintendo has done a great job with creating HD versions of so many classics on the Switch. It would be tragic if this library was separated from the next system entirely. Imagine Prime 1 and 4 playable only on the Switch while Prime 2 and 3 were only on the next system. Same thing if the next system can play Pikmin 1 and 2 HD versions, but not the Switch version of Pikmin 3. I understand that at some point the Switch will not be supported, but that is why backwards compatibility is so important going forward. Hopefully Nintendo gets that.
To calm you down a bit, i would be shocked if prime 4 wasnt crossgen/had a port/remaster for switch 2. Prime 1 too, but later in line.

A double feature of the first Prime HD trailer with a teaser for Prime 4 is my expectation. News on Prime is overdue now and I expect Nintendo to deliver it either in June or in September.

I think we'll see a full trailer and possibly treehouse unveiling for Prime HD with a fall release date, then a mostly cinematic teaser with some possible hints of gameplay for Prime 4 with a vague 2023 date (likely Holiday 2023)

No I do not expect it till June 2023, with a holiday 2023 release at the earliest. Though if that is when it will be released, we might see it sooner in a direct along with a Prime Trilogy release in the spring or something.

If we do end up waiting till June 2023 to see it, I would expect Prime Trilogy release in the holiday with Prime 4 landing in the first half of 2024. In any case, I doubt we will hear anything big about it this year.

No I do not expect it till June 2023, with a holiday 2023 release at the earliest. Though if that is when it will be released, we might see it sooner in a direct along with a Prime Trilogy release in the spring or something.

If we do end up waiting till June 2023 to see it, I would expect Prime Trilogy release in the holiday with Prime 4 landing in the first half of 2024. In any case, I doubt we will hear anything big about it this year.
Nintendo isn’t waiting on this AAA game to show at June 2023 for a holiday release. If it’s June 2023 then the game isn’t releasing until March 2024 the earliest.

Nintendo isn’t waiting on this AAA game to show at June 2023 for a holiday release. If it’s June 2023 then the game isn’t releasing until March 2024 the earliest.

Yeah if you read my entire post, thats pretty much what I said was most likely the case.

So, this has probably been discussed to death, but what is the reason so many think it won't be shown after several years? Besides not wanting to be disappointed?

Is it normal for a game to take this long (I have no idea), or have people lost faith in Retro to deliver in a timely way?

Or I guess maybe it could have been moved to Switch 2?

So, this has probably been discussed to death, but what is the reason so many think it won't be shown after several years? Besides not wanting to be disappointed?

Is it normal for a game to take this long (I have no idea), or have people lost faith in Retro to deliver in a timely way?

vindication

Well Retro is more than likely far along to show something, but ultimately it's up to Nintendo to do so. In my opinion, most of the doubt comes from Nintendo's decision.

For me, "it's been long enough" is not a good reason to expect to see something. A vague and mysterious twitter banner that's already 3 months old isn't one either.

I expect MP1HD or whatever to be released before it, and Nintendo's release schedule is pretty well set for roughly the next year. There is a spot for one more big holiday title this year, but it won't be MP4. So other than a small tease/reassurance I don't see why they'd do a big reveal in June with reportedly so much other stuff to choose from.

Does anyone know how many employees Retros Studio has? I tried looking it up and the results were either 85 or 165. Might give an idea of the pace of MP4's development.

We expect Prime 1 HD to come first, also it hasnt been that long development restarted in 2019 , 3 years for what’s supossed to be one the big Nintendo games it’s not a lot.

We expect Prime 1 HD to come first, also it hasnt been that long development restarted in 2019 , 3 years for what’s supossed to be one the big Nintendo games it’s not a lot.
Three years is plenty of time to show something. This magnitude of a game Nintendo will want to show something a little further out than they normally do for their games.

Three years is plenty of time to show something. This magnitude of a game Nintendo will want to show something a little further out than they normally do for their games.
Of course they can show something but I think they will focus more on Prime 1HD first, so Prime 4 will not get a lot of time other than just saying it’s coming soon and maybe a really short trailer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom