• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Site Event Community Game Event - GameCube 20th Anniversary | November 1st - November 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dopply

Developer
Pronouns
He/Him
gceventbanner.png

Welcome everyone, to Famiboards' next Game Event - celebrating the Nintendo GameCube's 20th Anniversary! Released in Japan in September of 2001 and in North America in November, I figured we could all show the little Cube that Could some extra love during its big 2-0 celebration. The event runs from today until midnight PST on November 30th, 2021.

As before, the event works like this: for the duration of the event, you'll eligible to earn badges on the board (that you can choose to feature on your profile and posts) by completing challenges related to the event. Without further ado, here are the challenges:

GCEventGCCube.png
Commemorative Cube:
Complete ANY GameCube game during the event.

GCEventPikmin.png
Peak Pikmin:
In Pikmin 1's challenge mode, grow at least 100 Pikmin OR complete Pikmin 2's challenge mode.

GCEventMelee.png
A Cruel Melee's Thesis:
Defeat six opponents in Cruel Melee mode in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

GCEventMonkeyBall.png
Monkey Ball Master:
Complete all Master boards in either Super Monkey Ball 1 or 2.

GCEventSunshine.png
The Delfino Blues:
Collect all Blue Coins in Mario Sunshine; Shine count is irrelevant.

GCEventPrime.png
Prime Hunter:
Complete either Metroid Prime 1 or 2 with either 100% items or 100% scans.

GCEventAC.png
Code Crosser:
In Animal Crossing for GameCube, give an item as a gift to another player via the game's password system. This item has to be specific for the receiving player and not a generic code.

GCEventDoubleDash.png
Endurance Dasher:
Win the All Cup Tour in Mario Kart: Double Dash.

GCEventWindWaker.png
Figure Waker:
Collect all figures in the Nintendo Gallery in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

GCEventFZero.png
F-Zero Phenom:
Complete the "AX" cup in F-Zero GX on Very Hard.

GCEventPokemonXD.png
Pure of Heart:
Purify all the Shadow Pokémon in either Pokémon Colosseum or Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness.

After successfully completing the challenge, post the proof of your accomplishment here in this thread (video or image evidence will suffice; this is basically on the honor system, there won't be an in-depth verification. It's for fun!) and indicate which challenge you tried to get. Please either @ me or wait for the badge to be awarded to you; this is a manual process, so I politely ask for your patience.

Even if you decide not to go for the challenges, I hope you discuss the games and share your experiences here. Were you at the GameCube launch? When did you get yours, if you owned one? Please discuss!

Speaking of challenges, you probably noticed they are a bit more difficult this time around! While I think everyone can at least get a Commemorative Cube, it'll take a lot of skill to get all of them. That's by design. because this time, those who participate in the challenge and earn a badge will be entered into a raffle to win a GameCube Prize Pack! Details TBD, but each badge earned nets you an additional raffle entry. Please watch this thread for further updates!

Whew, with all of that out of the way, please enjoy this event and have fun! I have one more big event planned this year, so I hope you look forward to it as well.

Let's GOOOOOO!!!

Definitely going to nab that Commemorative Cube challenge, as well as A Cruel Melee's Thesis just for the reference.

Woohoo! What a great idea! Those badges look beautiful!

...But I never actually owned a GameCube. My first Nintendo home console was the Wii. Can I 100% the Wii version of Prime 1, for that badge?

Clarification regarding versions
Woohoo! What a great idea! Those badges look beautiful!

...But I never actually owned a GameCube. My first Nintendo home console was the Wii. Can I 100% the Wii version of Prime 1, for that badge?
Yes. I will play fast and loose with the versions supported (like Banana Mania instead of the originals). I think the only time I need a clarification is with the Wind Waker challenge... the Wii U version will make it much easier, haha. But I'll still allow it! I'll just denote what version was used on the badge.

EDIT: Also, thank you! I made the badges this time, practiced my sprite work a bit, lol.

Last edited:
Oooooh! I just bought Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, so this is the perfect opportunity to play through it for the first time!

And also complete Luigi's Mansion. Yaaaaaaay, holdovers.

So cool! This throws my plans for what I was gonna play next into the air - I might have to scrounge up something for the Commemorative badge. I used to have a GameCube, but don’t anymore. And I used to have a Wii, but.. don’t anymore, so whatever I play will have to be a port of some kind. But I’ll find something!

Hm I have a chunk of those challenge games but most of those are out of my skill level Cept maybe the prime one. I was late to the party but have a pretty solid collection and really like the system. Got a couple games loose too but this is the bulk of it
image0.jpg

Also no Custom Robo badge? That’s a real shame! Or are you saving it for a true challenge when we get V1/2 on NSO for us to struggle through Japanese?

Maybe I’ll try for the monkey ball and the sunshine blue coin challenge(on switch).

Whoaaaa

I just played through Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II today, and here is this incredible thread. Dopply, you’re doing an excellent job with these events. 👍

Loving the new challenges! Perfect time for me for me to actually knuckle down and get Sunshine finished for once, as that's something that I've wanted to do for a while. Plus, I need to sharpen my Double Dash skills, as it's always been a weaker MK for me. Time to dust off those disks and my GCN adapter. Let's have some fun!

Hm I have a chunk of those challenge games but most of those are out of my skill level Cept maybe the prime one. I was late to the party but have a pretty solid collection and really like the system. Got a couple games loose too but this is the bulk of it
image0.jpg

Also no Custom Robo badge? That’s a real shame! Or are you saving it for a true challenge when we get V1/2 on NSO for us to struggle through Japanese?

Maybe I’ll try for the monkey ball and the sunshine blue coin challenge(on switch).
Haha, I workshopped a Custom Robo badge, Phantasy Star Online, Rogue Squadron, and RE4 badge. I ultimately decided on the most iconic games, that really evoke the GameCube. It was tough! I want to keep the badge count per event at under/over 10. :) Also credit to @Robert for helping come up with some of the challenges!

Whoaaaa

I just played through Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II today, and here is this incredible thread. Dopply, you’re doing an excellent job with these events. 👍
Thank you so much!

This challenge is biased against people who still have not finished unpacking after moving this summer and have no idea where their Gamecubes are.

GCEventGCCube.png

Commemorative Cube:

GCEventPikmin.png

Peak Pikmin:
In Pikmin 1's challenge mode, grow at least 100 Pikmin OR complete Pikmin 2's challenge mode.

GCEventMelee.png

A Cruel Melee's Thesis:

GCEventSunshine.png

The Delfino Blues:

GCEventDoubleDash.png

Endurance Dasher:

Looks like these are the ones I can potentially get with OG equipment. Question on versions...

Sunshine- Is 3D All Stars fair game?

Metroid Prime 1 and 2- Is Wii Prime trilogy fair game?

GCEventGCCube.png

Commemorative Cube:

GCEventPikmin.png

Peak Pikmin:

GCEventMelee.png

A Cruel Melee's Thesis:

GCEventSunshine.png

The Delfino Blues:

GCEventDoubleDash.png

Endurance Dasher:

Looks like these are the ones I can potentially get with OG equipment. Question on versions...

Sunshine- Is 3D All Stars fair game?

Metroid Prime 1 and 2- Is Wii Prime trilogy fair game?
Yes, I'm allowing ports, remakes, etc, just please indicate which version you used to complete the game.

Sunshine via 3D All-Stars is the only one I have easy access too. Might be the excuse to push through and 100% a game after a few years! :p

Also, does that also earn the Commemorative Cube badge?

These look really cool! Not sure I'll be able to get my Gamecube working in time so I'm limited to the ISO dumps I have lying around, but I might try for the commemorative cube one if I get the time, there's a couple games I've been in the mood to replay :)

Curious minds want to know, what would have been the challenge for Custom Robo? I'll take any excuse to replay it haha

Maybe I’ll do Star Fox assualt for the game complete and try for the prime 100% and Monkey ball challenge, those shouldn’t be too time consuming. I can try cruel melee but I suck at high level stuff. Not sure if I want to torture myself with blue coins or F-Zero challenge but I can try the latter at least. Oh and I do have the wii release on pikmin, wonder how hard that one is

Another great challenge with great looking badges @Dopply! Thanks for this.

I guess I gotta find out how to send items to other members in AC for the GC since I've never done that before and I don't own many of the other games or I'm waiting for them to get a Switch version (Prime).

And yes, I own and love Monkey Ball, but Master is still out of my league, lol.

Sunshine via 3D All-Stars is the only one I have easy access too. Might be the excuse to push through and 100% a game after a few years! :p

Also, does that also earn the Commemorative Cube badge?
Yes. If you complete any of the games featured in the challenge, you can earn the commemorative badge as well.
Curious minds want to know, what would have been the challenge for Custom Robo? I'll take any excuse to replay it haha
Would have been multiplayer related. That's all I'll say!

I just realized my TV doesn’t support anything other than HDMI, and neither does my monitor upstairs... How am I going to connect my GameCube or Wii?

Damn I literally purified all the Colosseum and XD Pokemon last month lol.

Time for another run.

"Complete the "AX" cup in F-Zero GX on Very Hard."

Woooof. That's going to be rough.

Been wanting to hook up the lunchbox lately anyways, maybe the Double Dash and Prime badges will be a good incentive to actually do so.

I just realized my TV doesn’t support anything other than HDMI, and neither does my monitor upstairs... How am I going to connect my GameCube or Wii?
A few different ways! It's certainly a rabbit hole you can go down. I recommend a Retrotink 2X for casual players to connect all their old stuff to modern displays (and the 5X for hardcore ones). It really depends on how much you want to spend and how good of an experience you'd like.

Oh I could dig out my retrotink mini couldnt I… but then it’d have to fight one of my other consoles.

"Complete the "AX" cup in F-Zero GX on Very Hard."

Woooof. That's going to be rough.

Been wanting to hook up the lunchbox lately anyways, maybe the Double Dash and Prime badges will be a good incentive to actually do so.
I was going to say, I've never played that F-Zero game but from what I understand it is the hardest in the series.

That badge sounds like a toughie.

I was going to say, I've never played that F-Zero game but from what I understand it is the hardest in the series.

That badge sounds like a toughie.
I think to even get the full AX cup unlocked you also need to complete the story mode on the highest difficulty? Unless you were lucky enough to have an AX machine you could reliably get to that also had the memory card reader.

A few different ways! It's certainly a rabbit hole you can go down. I recommend a Retrotink 2X for casual players to connect all their old stuff to modern displays (and the 5X for hardcore ones). It really depends on how much you want to spend and how good of an experience you'd like.

Yeah, that doesn’t fit in the budget for this month 😅. But I’ll figure something out. I might bring out the good old Wii U to play some Prime 2 in Wii mode. Otherwise Mario Sunshine in the 3D All-Stars Collection will have to do the job.

I’m gonna bookmark your post though, since this would be a great purchase sometime in the future.

I think to even get the full AX cup unlocked you also need to complete the story mode on the highest difficulty? Unless you were lucky enough to have an AX machine you could reliably get to that also had the memory card reader.
It is a truly enormous challenge, but I know there are probably some F-Zero nuts here up to it

I was reading through these thinking I just might be able to do all of them, but then finally there were three games I don't own lol (AC, F-Zero and Pokemon).

I still may go for 4-5 of them.

I think I might have equipment readily available for some of these ...
Granted, I was meaning to play through Luigi's Mansion all October and just never got to it at all.
... I also had some spooky reading I was intending to do and didn't get to that either.

October was obviously a dark time.

RIP 🪦 I forgot to post my winnings in the last thread because I thought it was over at midnight tonight giving us a day after the holiday 😞

Well, nevertheless, onto the new challenges! My cube games are all back in my childhood home so I'm going to have to get creative here.

EDIT: Thank you for being flexible with some of them. I'll do Sunshine through SM3DAS and Monkey Ball through Banana Mania, woo!

Then... perhaps Pikmin in dolphin. I'm sure as hell not touching Metroid Prime because with my luck the remaster will come out in the Spring lmfao.

Rip I forgot to post my winnings in the last thread because I though it was over at midnight tonight giving us a day after the holiday 😞

Well, nevertheless, onto the new challenges! My cube games are all back in my childhood home so I'm going to have to get creative here.
You can post them here and I'll take care of it, no worries.

Oh no way I’m pulling that off, I can’t clear the story at any difficulty

Haha, I workshopped a Custom Robo badge, Phantasy Star Online, Rogue Squadron, and RE4 badge. I ultimately decided on the most iconic games, that really evoke the GameCube. It was tough! I want to keep the badge count per event at under/over 10. :) Also credit to @Robert for helping come up with some of the challenges!

Thank you so much!
Ha, darn. After multiple posts about it in the last thread I'll def finish RE4 VR this month at least. So close!

You can post them here and I'll take care of it, no worries.
Ah, thank you so much! Will do so in the AM. Thanks again for organizing this!

Last edited:
Glad we can use the Wii versions as my GameCube was stolen in the mid 2000s. Will definitely try to finish 3 or 4 of these if I can.

Super Mario Sunshine's Blue Coins, my arch nemesis. We meet again. I didn't think I'd see you this soon.

Last year, I did my first 100% playthrough of Sunshine, streamed it on Twitch and everything. Barring a few truly miserable Shine Sprites, the Blue Coins were easily the worst aspect. A neat idea for a side collectible that becomes terrible when 1) it's extremely difficult to keep track of which ones you already collected and 2) they do almost NOTHING to aid the player in progression, they are ONLY for 100%. Yet another half-baked idea in an interesting but clearly rushed game.

But I do know that game knowledge and increased skill make going through these kinda things better. I have a much higher opinion of Mario 64 now than I did when I was a kid who was bad at it, and I'm sure Sunshine's much lauded movement, well, shines when you know how to use it better.

So screw it. I'm not stopping at all Blue Coins and game completion, I'm going for all Shine Sprites again. Will Famiboards' self-proclaimed Super Mario Superfan (title work in progress) make it through the blistering heat of Isle Delfino, or will the blue riches and solar rewards elude him?

Only one way to find out. Let's-a go.

...I had way too much fun writing this.

woo new challenges! thanks @Dopply for doing this, I didn't think the next event literally right after the previous one.
For the challenges... damn it seems all hard, but we get the whole month to do it, hopefully I can participate in more than one :D

This is an event I sadly won't be able to participate in, but nice work!

So I'm off starting Sunshine. I'm collecting Blue Coins in Delfino Plaza, and I wonder, "there are a lot of coins here. Can I get the 100 Coin Shine now?" The answer, I frustratingly discovered, is no, because you don't have the boats running or the Rocket Nozzle. While I admit this is my fault, I also think that it is really dumb that the game limits you like this.

...unless you perform a clip and make a precise spin jump to wall jump to FLUDD combo for the maximum height. And because I'm a stubborn person, that's exactly what I did.

Sunshine is off to a...great start.

Going for the blur coin for sunshine in 3d collection and will try to finish timesplitters 2 for any gc game finished

Also do I need gc or can I use emu ?

Last edited:
Exciting! Don’t have a GC but I have some remasters and ports. I think I’ll start with the blue coins 🪙

Any Double Dash fans willing to share some tips? Haven’t played in a long time and am very rusty. Could handle 50CC and 100CC no problem, but 150 is giving me a lot of hassle. Any particular comibations that are good? Any driving tips?

Let's go! Can't be in atm as I'm travelling for work but I'll do the Pikmin one for sure. Maybe even Smash, Monkey Ball and Mario Kart.

Ah, it's great to see the next event already! I'd love to see an N64 equivalent at some point, but Gamecube is good too. From a quick scan through there are probably 3-4 that I might go for here, probably via re-releases - though my Wii is still hooked up to my TV too, so that's an option.

Would be recent Banana Blitz release be a viable way of going for the Super Monkey Ball badge? I'm not sure how it divides up the levels based on the games they were originally from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom