• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Site Event Community Game Event - GameCube 20th Anniversary | November 1st - November 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
God i wish i would be home. Gamecube was my favourite home console till the switch came out.

Im gonna have to see which switch port I could play to at least complete one challenge. I do have resident evil 1 and 4 on switch. Also 3d All Stars so that's options. But we will see! I'm excited for this.

I think if I would be home I would replay rogue Squadron 2. I so loved it.

Going back to DD will be tricky as I'm used to the handling of the newer entries. But I cleared it as a kid so I should be able to do it again.

Blue coins challenge is something I never did in the original. Maybe it'll give me an excuse to revisit Sunshine, especially as I did get the Switch version.

Might stick to the Wii U version of WW for that challenge just because one particular trophy is a pain to get with the notification that your photo is OK.

Thanks for making the Pikmin challenge apply to 1 or 2 as I only have 2. Admittedly it's been so long since I played it I can't remember what challenge mode entails.

Sod that F-Zero challenge for a laugh.

The AC one should be easy enough right?

Now just to consider which GameCube game is the easiest to beat. I assume this has to be a different game from the above.

Will beating Super Mario Sunshine without the challenge for the coins still count as beating a gamecube game?

Ah, it's great to see the next event already! I'd love to see an N64 equivalent at some point, but Gamecube is good too. From a quick scan through there are probably 3-4 that I might go for here, probably via re-releases - though my Wii is still hooked up to my TV too, so that's an option.

Would be recent Banana Blitz release be a viable way of going for the Super Monkey Ball badge? I'm not sure how it divides up the levels based on the games they were originally from.
They’re probably waiting for a few updates to NSO +ep first on that one

Damn, yeah, those are some difficult challenges indeed !

Super Mario Sunshine's one will be easy for me since I know that game by heart, but not sure which one else I'll do beyond the "complete any Gamecube game"
Probably the Animal Crossing one, maybe the Metroid Prime one... (even though I want to hold on replaying it, waiting for the remake next year)

No way I succeed the Monkey Ball, F-Zero, Pikmin or Double Dash ones lmao. 6 cruel in Melee is something I never succeeded back then but I could pull it off maybe nowadays, not sure I want to go back to Melee after so much years of Smash For and Ultimate though, it would almost be like playing another franchise at this point, it feels so different. Melee is a very hard game to master.
I have zero interest in replaying Colosseum or XD, never really liked those games (even though XD was more interesting to me, I still didn't play it much)

Too bad there isn't any challenges for one of the Capcom games ! RE4, Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7 are some of the best of the system ! But I'm sure most people don't have Killer 7 or Viewtiful Joe so that's understandable.

Very good looking badges BTW !

Will the challenges be monthly ? Love love love that concept, wasn't expecting a new one so soon so I'm really happy !!!!

Will the challenges be monthly ? Love love love that concept, wasn't expecting a new one so soon so I'm really happy !!!!

We haven't really planned next year yet except for some early talk about a summer event - but there is a bigger Midwinter/Holiday challenge in the making for December.

Clarification regarding versions and other details part two
Just for further reference: yes, you can use any version of the game or any re-releases/ports and emulated versions. It's all fair game.

Yes, these challenges are typically not "beat the game" challenges; so if you decide to complete one of the games featured in the challenge, you will also get the Commemorative Cube badge.

Dang...during the lockdown I ebay'd almost all of my GameCube games (after never taking them out of their box the last 3 times I moved). No regrets though 🤑

Never played the GameCube Animal Crossing, but my wife has a copy.

How involved is the challenge?

It might be fun to check out the older Animal Crossing.

Damn, these challenges seem difficult, and some just seem tortuous like the all blue coins in Sunshine, that's just mean haha.

You can post them here and I'll take care of it, no worries.

Here you are! I went with console photos instead of screenshots to celebrate my first month with the OLED.

Revisiting this game two years after launch was a joy, took the chance to go back and clean up my original file for gems and boos as well. Not quite done there... perhaps next Halloween.

Already had the full set from last year, so here are the new three items! Can't wait for Friday's DLC to finally give me motivation to clean my my town. I was supposed to do that this month, but then halloween took over. Here's my pseudo-Link costume that one of my villagers so rudely told me was not a costume.

Apologies if I'm missing obvious instructions somewhere, but how do I display badges under my avatar?

Apologies if I'm missing obvious instructions somewhere, but how do I display badges under my avatar?
Click the megaphone option next to the badges you own to display the ones of your choosing on your postbit.

Damn this is cool as hell. If my Gamecube wasn't in another country right now I'd be all over this. Although I guess Sunshine in SM3DAS would count? Collecting all blue coins sounds like a literal nightmare though.
Oh, I have the Prime Trilogy on my Wii U, that might be my best bet with this one.

Edit: Also, some Gamecube talk. Why won't Capcom rerelease Viewtiful Joe already, that's a game I'd love to play around with again

@Dopply

I just beat Super Mario Strikers, by winning the super bowser cup and unlocking the Super Team.

Was one of my favorite GC games as a kid, and was amazing revisiting it. Overall. I am glad NLG moved onto bigger and better things, but you can still see the DNA of the studio even this early. 10/10

Beat Sonic Riders earlier (both Heroes and Babylon stories). Ended up spending more time figuring out how to replace the broken analog stick on my controller than actually playing the game lol. Still one of the best games on the system imo, it's got a hell of a learning curve but once you understand how to play it plays like a dream. It's a real shame the other Riders games didn't even try to improve on gameplay here.

Aw yeah I'm gonna go for a couple of these. Probably the easier ones :p

Been keeping track of scans in Prime and Echoes as I play so I can have a list of the missable ones to share. There's also some weirdness regarding versions, especially regarding the infamous Ice Shriekbats that I also have to remember, lol.

So for "Commemorative Cube" does beating Master Hand in SSBM classic mode count? Or do we have to beat Giga Bowser in adventure mode?

I have thought about getting back inte the GC for a couple of weeks so this thread is perfect. I can atleast finish a game to get my first badge.

Slowly rolled through a bunch of Pokemon Colosseum today while working on other things. Decided to bust out Bayleef this time because I don't think I picked it since the first time I played the game.

Damn! Did another Skies of Arcadia Legends playthrough half a year ago, then finished The Wind Waker with my daughter this summer, and I just played Prime 1 while waiting for Dread to release. Don’t have the time to do all that again for this challenge, so maybe I’ll go for Prime 2 and 3, my kids enjoyed the first one.

Any Double Dash fans willing to share some tips? Haven’t played in a long time and am very rusty. Could handle 50CC and 100CC no problem, but 150 is giving me a lot of hassle. Any particular comibations that are good? Any driving tips?
I'm biased towards lightweight karts since I believe cornering and acceleration speed are most beneficial at 150cc. You're gonna get beaned by a lot of items from the CPU so getting back to speed quickly is crucial.

As for racers the koopas are top tier. You can get triple reds at any position or triple greens when near the front of the pack. Shells are also defensive items when fired backwards. They're borderline essential.

For a second racer I usually go with Diddy Kong since you can get the giant banana in first place and helps a lot of with defense. Toad is also great if you want the golden mushroom in the chance you are really lagging behind. Bowser Jr. is ok but you can hurt yourself with the giant spiny shell and it's risky.

If you want to move up a weight class Peach and Daisy have one of the best specials in the game and are great for defense.

C4206981-F0-FD-46-F1-B597-60846-DF65-CC9.jpg

Pikmin 1 challenge mode done.

I'm biased towards lightweight karts since I believe cornering and acceleration speed are most beneficial at 150cc. You're gonna get beaned by a lot of items from the CPU so getting back to speed quickly is crucial.

As for racers the koopas are top tier. You can get triple reds at any position or triple greens when near the front of the pack. Shells are also defensive items when fired backwards. They're borderline essential.

For a second racer I usually go with Diddy Kong since you can get the giant banana in first place and helps a lot of with defense. Toad is also great if you want the golden mushroom in the chance you are really lagging behind. Bowser Jr. is ok but you can hurt yourself with the giant spiny shell and it's risky.

If you want to move up a weight class Peach and Daisy have one of the best specials in the game and are great for defense.
Been finding success with a basic Peach/Mario combo with Peach's kart. Won the 150CC Mushroom cup with 1sts across the board except Baby Park, so I'm off to a decent start. Just need to work at it, and probably get the 8 Deluxe reflexes out of my head for the time being.

Just beat the original Gamecube version of Luigi's Mansion and unlocked the Hidden Mansion (as indicated by the green box with the 1 in it on my save file)! I've beaten the 3DS verson before, but I've got to say, the original version still holds up superbly and has a lot of charm in it's early Gamecube style! I even managed to get an A rank!

czBbv23.jpg

Something else I noticed is that in Double Dash there really isn't much of an actual difference in top speed between the lightest and heaviest karts, so it makes little sense to pick heavyweights or karts with high top speed, low acceleration and handling.

Love the continuing events! Decided to jump in with cruel melee.

It was challenging to get a picture while I was still fighting, so apologies for the quality on the first shot. That was a new record of six kills with Ness done tonight.

I feel like I must have cheesed as my younger self to get that many kills with jigglypuff. I tried again, and just always got instantly smashed every time I approached the wire frames.

22xFzta.jpg

Sorry for the photo quality, I decided to hook up my Gamecube to an old, smaller TV. For anyone curious, the reason I don't have all the characters unlocked is because one year when I was in college, my Melee data corrupted on my memory card (and no other game, of course) after thousands of hours played, and I never had the heart to get all the trophies/characters/etc all over again. Still bitter lol, but oh well.

y'know at the end of the day new horizons is pretty good but I still miss animal crossing

edit: wrong thread sorry

on-topic, animal crossing on the gamecube was incredible, right? and chibi-robo

y'know at the end of the day new horizons is pretty good but I still miss animal crossing

edit: wrong thread sorry

on-topic, animal crossing on the gamecube was incredible, right? and chibi-robo
Chibi Robo is my gaming white whale. I'd love to own the original game for the GameCube, but it commonly goes for $200 on Ebay, so....

first of all i appreciate being featured in the OP 😂

these are all too hard for me but i'll attempt to beat 1 gamecube game. 😅

You can post them here and I'll take care of it, no worries.
im in the same boat 😬

Chibi Robo is my gaming white whale. I'd love to own the original game for the GameCube, but it commonly goes for $200 on Ebay, so....
I have a CIB copy I got for 70 bucks. I love the game so much that that was my second copy; I gave away the first to a friend

the Chibi-Robo fever is a fairly recent development

Day 1 progress - I have around 60 Blue Coins and 18 shines (not counting any I would get from Blue Coins). Not a bad first day. I'm trying not to do EVERY SINGLE MISSION in a world all at once to keep things fresh (something I don't usually need to do for these Mario games but it helps with all the Blue Coin collecting, which involves being pretty thorough with exploration).

I don't particularly care for how certain Blue Coins can only be obtained in certain episodes of a stage. Blue Coins in sub areas that are exclusive to an episode, that's not a big deal, but certain ones only spawning after certain missions makes things way harder to keep track of.

Going for all Shines also makes me think about all the darn Red Coin missions in this game. In terms of pure numbers, there's only one more Red Coin mission in Sunshine compared to 64 (24 vs 23), but they never felt like too much in 64. Maybe because each area only ever had one, and many smaller areas which feature Red Coin missions are basically just "navigate this new area". You can take em at your own pace. Meanwhile half of Sunshine's Red Coins are timed challenges, often in areas you have already explored - a very different kind of challenge that I don't personally find as fun. Being able to stack the Red Coin missions and 100 Coin Stars also helped cut the tedium...something that isn't the case with Sunshine, which kicks you out after you after collecting the 100 coin shine. Not looking forward to those! I'm sure the Blue Coin hunt makes it worse, too - 24 less specific challenges, and by proxy 24 more missions focused solely on collecting coins.

So. Many. Coins.

This one for Commemorative Cube:
Complete ANY GameCube game during the event.
Game : Metal Gear Solid : The Twin Snakes
ILFUeeS.jpg

The next badge gonna be a while...

For the Endurance Dasher Challenge...
8vu9fYJ.jpg
xtoZUa6.jpg

Lets gooo! First attempt, and I pulled it out! Managed to finish on the podium in every race too, which is nice considering I got seriously Mario Karted a couple of times. Probably going to bang out the Mirror All Cup as well soon. Also want to give props to @TurtleRock for the advice they gave; it helped a lot.

Final Results

1. Luigi Curcuit - 1st (10 points)
  2. Sherbet Land - 1st (20 points)
  3. Mushroom Bridge - 2nd (28 points)
  4. Bowser’s Castle 1st (38 points)
  5. Daisy Cruiser - 1st (48 points)
  6. Yoshi Circuit - 1st (58 points)
  7. Dino Dino Jungle - 2nd (66 points)
  8. Mario Circuit - 1st (76 points)
  9. DK Mountain - 2nd (84 points)
  10. Waluigi Stadium - 1st (94 points)
  11. Peach Beach - 1st (104 points)
  12. Dry Dry Desert - 1st (114 points)
  13. Baby Park - 3rd (120 points)
  14. Mushroom City - 1st (130 points)
  15. Wario Colosseum - 3rd (136 points)
  16. Rainbow Road - 3rd (142 points)

Started the blue coin challenge yesterday.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm going to be using a walkthrough to find the ones I can't find while doing everything else.

For the Commemorative Cube badge:
DLzT8c7.jpg
UjzKhT0.jpg

Feels real good to nail this immediately after getting the 150cc All Cup, while improving on my points tally to boot. It's not a perfect run, but I'll gladly take 13 wins and 3 second place finishes for my first attempt.
So, what do I say about Double Dash that hasn't already been said? I dunno if it's my favorite MK game (8 Deluxe and Wii are probably my favorites), but I think after digging into it for the challenges, I've gained a real appreciation for it, and it's probably behind those two at number 3. I've actually had this copy since like 2008 or so, but this is the first time I've actually knuckled down and beat the game. I can see why it's the favorite of a lot of people; it really strikes a good balance between fast paced racing and a healthy dose of Mario Kart chaos that really gels. Had to sort of unlearn the driving and item tactics that I'd use for games like Wii, 7, and 8, but once I found the groove the game asked for, it was a great ride.

Final Results for Mirror All Cup:

1. Luigi Circuit - 1st (10 points)
  2. Baby Park - 2nd (18 points)
  3. Daisy Cruiser - 1st (28 points)
  4. Mushroom Bridge - 2nd (36 points)
  5. Mushroom City - 1st (46 points)
  6. Bowser’s Castle - 1st (56 points)
  7. Dino Dino Jungle - 1st (66 points)
  8. Sherbet Land - 1st (76 points)
  9. Dry Dry Desert - 1st (86 points)
  10. Wario Colosseum- 2nd (94 points)
  11. Mario Circuit - 1st (104 points)
  12. Waluigi Stadium - 1st (114 points)
  13. DK Mountain - 1st (124 points)
  14. Yoshi Circuit - 1st (134 points)
  15. Peach Beach - 1st (144 points)
  16. Rainbow Road - 1st (154 points)

Last edited:
Yesterday I started sunshine for the Commemorative Cube on the 3d all Stars collection and I was honestly shocked. In my childhood I loved sunshine even more then Mario 64. For me it was just an outstanding game back then and I never understood that some people didn't like it.

However after playing it now for 3 hours I do understand it. Don't get me wrong it's still overall a fun game but compared to the other 3d Mario's it just feels worse. Maybe that will still change if I get more used to tgmhe controls.

I don't have much time right now but I want to try to beat it till smt5 comes out next week.

Is Metroid Prime 2 particularly difficult to get 100% items? I'm already playing it so I might as well go for that sweet badge.

Okay, my month is already over with this challenge, goodbye priorities and hello badges <3
LET'S GO

So I did the Sandbird on my commute to work today. I'm thankfully way better at it than I was a year ago, but I still wouldn't call myself a fan. It's a very awkward segment that was mostly easier because I waited on clouds. The Sandbird's rotation cycle isn't the same each time it flies around the main spire, and at certain points the best play when being cautious is to get a better cycle.

On a more positive note, I got 24 shines and nearly 90 Blue Coins! For anyone doing this challenge and who has an Android device, I highly recommend this Blue Coin tracker. It serves as both a checklist and a strategy guide, including links to videos of each Blue Coin being collected. Simple yet super useful.

So I did the Sandbird on my commute to work today. I'm thankfully way better at it than I was a year ago, but I still wouldn't call myself a fan. It's a very awkward segment that was mostly easier because I waited on clouds. The Sandbird's rotation cycle isn't the same each time it flies around the main spire, and at certain points the best play when being cautious is to get a better cycle.

On a more positive note, I got 24 shines and nearly 90 Blue Coins! For anyone doing this challenge and who has an Android device, I highly recommend this Blue Coin tracker. It serves as both a checklist and a strategy guide, including links to videos of each Blue Coin being collected. Simple yet super useful.
Thanks for the tip mat give it a go

Is Metroid Prime 2 particularly difficult to get 100% items? I'm already playing it so I might as well go for that sweet badge.
Not at all. There's no fancy movement tricks required to get all the items like the 2D games, so as long as you're thorough with searching with the Scan Visor, you should get most, if not all of them, and a guide can help you pick up the stragglers.

Last edited:
Will attempt to participate, have most of these with me but I hope I can find my copy of Double Dash!

Was able to get both Resident Evil 2 and 3 for the gamecube a few months ago, since I finished REmake for the last challenge, I will go for it this time with Resident Evil 2.

Wonder how well the game will hold up seeing as I played Resident Evil 2 remake last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom