• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Site Event Community Game Event - GameCube 20th Anniversary | November 1st - November 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a CIB copy I got for 70 bucks. I love the game so much that that was my second copy; I gave away the first to a friend

the Chibi-Robo fever is a fairly recent development
Yeah, my Chibi-Robo fever is recent too. Picked up Park Patrol used, loved that, then picked up Clean Sweep. I really want to get the original now, but I'll have to content my self with the knowledge that I'll own it someday...

Started up Pokemon XD. I'm about three hours in and just getting to the Team Cipher plot in earnest. Looks like there's a ton of shadow pokemon to purify, so wish me luck there.

Decided to play through Cubivore for the general game badge. I hadn't played it in a long time. It's probably one of my favorite gamecube games. I looked it up on tvtropes, like I do for most old games I go back to, and found out it's now apparently quite rare! Glad I didn't trade it in in college like I did with Chibi-Robo.

So I take it existing save files don't count, right? I do have save files with all Pokémon purified in Colosseum and XD and have 100%ed Prime 1 and 2 multiple times, but those are games I haven't really touched in years.

So I take it existing save files don't count, right? I do have save files with all Pokémon purified in Colosseum and XD and have 100%ed Prime 1 and 2 multiple times, but those are games I haven't really touched in years.
Yeah, you have to complete the challenge within the event period.

To start things off for me, I've tidied up my figurine collection in Wind Waker HD, for the Figure Waker badge:

Gallery-complete.jpg

King-of-Red-Lions.jpg

Knuckle.jpg

(Knuckle being optional for the 'complete' status in-game, IIRC)

@Dopply

Last edited:
I could fire up my wiiu for the wind Walker and pikmin stuff… how hard are they

Yeah, my Chibi-Robo fever is recent too. Picked up Park Patrol used, loved that, then picked up Clean Sweep. I really want to get the original now, but I'll have to content my self with the knowledge that I'll own it someday...

Started up Pokemon XD. I'm about three hours in and just getting to the Team Cipher plot in earnest. Looks like there's a ton of shadow pokemon to purify, so wish me luck there.
There are more Pokemon to purify in XD than in Colosseum, but the trade off is that it's much easier to purify Pokemon passively in XD.

Can we use our saves? E.g. are we allowed to use our Monkey Ball / F-Zero GX saves to access the challenges, or do we need to unlock the content anew?

Can we use our saves? E.g. are we allowed to use our Monkey Ball / F-Zero GX saves to access the challenges, or do we need to unlock the content anew?
I'd say for these challenges in particular (and Pikmin, since you have to unlock Challenge mode) yeah that's fine.

Against my better judgement, I might go for the SMS Blue Coin challenge. Which version should I use, the original GC release or the All-Stars release?

Ok I give up on the blue coin challenge. So now I gotta choose which I want to deal with this weekend: break out the Wii U for pikmin and WW challenges, or break out the gamecube proper for cruel melee, monkey ball and F-ze… forget that last one I could never even beat story mode. Was thinking of Assualt for my game complete.

Hm which pair would be faster…

Halfway there on the Blue Coins, and counting those as shines I got 49 total! Not bad progress at all. The checklist is saving my sanity, as is taking my time and going through the game little by little rather than rushing.

I haven't touched Noki Bay, Sirena Beach or Pianta Village yet. Not exactly looking forward to Sirena Beach in particular, it has a fun theme but wasn't all that fun to play. I also haven't done the worst shines, like 100 coins or the pachinko minigame or the lily pad. Will they make me hate how many missions are all about collecting coins? Perhaps. We shall see.

There are more Pokemon to purify in XD than in Colosseum, but the trade off is that it's much easier to purify Pokemon passively in XD.

Oh yeah, the Purifying Chamber is a godsend. It's aesthetics are also very Gamecube. I've captured 30 Shadow pokemon at this point, and purified 24 of them. At this rate, I should hopefully finish this challenge in a day or two.

Oh yeah, the Purifying Chamber is a godsend. It's aesthetics are also very Gamecube. I've captured 30 Shadow pokemon at this point, and purified 24 of them. At this rate, I should hopefully finish this challenge in a day or two.
It gets worse, lol. Time to purify is based on level, so a lot of the late-game mons take much longer to purify, even with the Purifification Chamber at max flow. I’m at the end now, and the last 12 or so are taking quite a while.

Well I think I’ll hook up my gamecube today and give the monkey ball challenge a go

So I just did the dreaded Pachinko level in Sunshine right before work.

...and it only took me a couple of minutes this time?? Last time I played this mission it took me like 20 lives, what the hell. Either way, now I'm at 42 Shines, 54 with Blue Coins. No stopping this train now, absolutely gonna get all 120 Shines again.

Well it seems without even knowing about this I’ve completed 2 challenges (beat GC game: MGS Twin Snakes) and F-Zero AX tracks (also Story mode in Very Hard Mode, god I fuckin’ hate Chapters 3/7 ;-) although AX tracks were already unlocked and YES I did it legit back in the day, without using gameshark whatever
honestly I didn’t grab a photo and am back in Spain now so whatever for the badges
it was super fun and I’m glad I didn’t have my NSW with me this time because on Monday’s rainy evening I suddenly decided I wanted to go retro and set up my X360 (played a shitton of my shmups collection) and my GCN to replay some F-Zero. And then played more games. I still enjoy MGS:TS (don’t hate), still have fun with Rogue Leader II and even Rebel Strike, still love Jungle Beat with the Kongas… and FZGX is still one of my favorite games of all time. And Metroid Prime, goddamn it’s still fabulous!

I still wish I had more time to revisit more titles from my tiny, yet packed with great games, NGC collection. I prefer to keep all of my collection at my parents’, in Italy. I just love the feeling of entering my childhood room when I go visit, it’s a bit magical you know?

Got my NGC at US launch thanks to my brother. He was at ILM back then and Rogue Leader II was a (fantastic) launch titles so he managed to get a console+Rogue Leader II at Lucasfilm’s store at the ranch, and shipped it to me in Italy together with the almighty component cables ordered from Nintendo’s website, and copies of Luigi’s Mansion and WR Blue Storm (I don’t care what anyone says, I LOVE WR64 and I LOVE WRBS for totally different reasons).

Got my package in December, and played the crap out it during Christmas, it was incredible. I loved the console, the pad and even the games (a month later I got SMB). The console and games felt so… japanese, and I loved that. I immediately modded the console so that it could play both NA/JPN games via a simple switch on the back of the console. A 5-pages GCN special spread was also my first credited article (back then videogames/tech magazines had this bad habit of rarely telling you the article writer/reviewer’s name) on a prestigious tech magazine, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Happy anniversary my fellow GCers!

Well it seems without even knowing about this I’ve completed 2 challenges (beat GC game: MGS Twin Snakes) and F-Zero AX tracks (also Story mode in Very Hard Mode, god I fuckin’ hate Chapters 3/7 ;-) although AX tracks were already unlocked and YES I did it legit back in the day, without using gameshark whatever
honestly I didn’t grab a photo and am back in Spain now so whatever for the badges
it was super fun and I’m glad I didn’t have my NSW with me this time because on Monday’s rainy evening I suddenly decided I wanted to go retro and set up my X360 (played a shitton of my shmups collection) and my GCN to replay some F-Zero. And then played more games. I still enjoy MGS:TS (don’t hate), still have fun with Rogue Leader II and even Rebel Strike, still love Jungle Beat with the Kongas… and FZGX is still one of my favorite games of all time. And Metroid Prime, goddamn it’s still fabulous!

I still wish I had more time to revisit more titles from my tiny, yet packed with great games, NGC collection. I prefer to keep all of my collection at my parents’, in Italy. I just love the feeling of entering my childhood room when I go visit, it’s a bit magical you know?

Got my NGC at US launch thanks to my brother. He was at ILM back then and Rogue Leader II was a (fantastic) launch titles so he managed to get a console+Rogue Leader II at Lucasfilm’s store at the ranch, and shipped it to me in Italy together with the almighty component cables ordered from Nintendo’s website, and copies of Luigi’s Mansion and WR Blue Storm (I don’t care what anyone says, I LOVE WR64 and I LOVE WRBS for totally different reasons).

Got my package in December, and played the crap out it during Christmas, it was incredible. I loved the console, the pad and even the games (a month later I got SMB). The console and games felt so… japanese, and I loved that. I immediately modded the console so that it could play both NA/JPN games via a simple switch on the back of the console. A 5-pages GCN special spread was also my first credited article (back then videogames/tech magazines had this bad habit of rarely telling you the article writer/reviewer’s name) on a prestigious tech magazine, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Happy anniversary my fellow GCers!
Thank you for sharing your story, that's really cool.

Unfortunately I can't give out the badges without photo evidence. If you get the chance, you can send pictures of your accomplishments and a way to prove the date they were achieved (maybe save time?).

Thank you for sharing your story, that's really cool.

Unfortunately I can't give out the badges without photo evidence. If you get the chance, you can send pictures of your accomplishments and a way to prove the date they were achieved (maybe save time?).

Don’t worry for the badges :) I’m back in Spain, my Cube collection is in Italy. Just wanted to share my love for the little yet so powerful fella, such a magical console

AERW8Y7.jpg
hb9DREu.jpg
240 blue coins obtained, and I also beat the game.

That's the save screen you get after the credits, I forgot it doesn't pause on a proper end screen.

As a bonus, here are some of the glitches I performed (intentionally or not) during my playthrough

Last edited:
I saw that we can also can do remakes and remasters, so that will help for the Monkey Ball one haha
Also, can I do like, the Double Dash one in coop ? Or do I have to do it alone ? (150CC ?)

I saw that we can also can do remakes and remasters, so that will help for the Monkey Ball one haha
Also, can I do like, the Double Dash one in coop ? Or do I have to do it alone ? (150CC ?)
I guess if you get some help, break your badge in half and give the other half to your assistant.
😉

Nah that's fine, no worries.

Just caught Raikou in Colosseum so I'm heading into the home stretch. Will need to clean up some postgame stuff, but being able to trade with Gen 3 will be a big boost there.

It gets worse, lol. Time to purify is based on level, so a lot of the late-game mons take much longer to purify, even with the Purifification Chamber at max flow. I’m at the end now, and the last 12 or so are taking quite a while.

Oof. I'm at the last dungeon, and not only do I still have, like, 30 more shadow pokemon to catch, but I have to keep leaving the dungeon to go purify more pokemon. This is gonna take longer than I thought, isn't it?

Surprised no one has fully got into the Animal Crossing challenge yet, i dug around, and actually pulled out my original memory card the game was bundled with.
GbDuovJ.jpg

I haven't played that specific town in many years, 2008. To be exact.
FDiwYZyXMAkNb9q.png
FDiwYZvWUAAk60A.png

As for the trade code stuff, it was basically Nintendo's workaround for the Gamecube (and N64, i'm pretty sure it was in the original game as well.) not having any sort of online functionality. One of the options in Nook's Store allows you to generate codes for items. Using the town's name ("capcom", in this case.) and your player name (uh, "sonic".) as a sort of DRM check to prevent people from grabbing whatever item they want using a single code.

Of course, Nintendo did have some generic codes to give out. Popping over to the official Animal Crossing website back in the day or reading Nintendo Power would give you exclusive Mario themed items. Only accessible through this method.

Nintendo also provided a "code generator" on the site. Using the same Town and Player name checks as before, this was the only way to obtain 5 of the unlockable NES games. Soccer, Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, Clu Clu Land D, and Punch-Out!!

Now that the explanation is done, let's get to the trading part.

Hopefully @Dopply appreciates the Space Shuttle i've given him.

(I'm actually unsure if anyone else was willing to go through the process of setting it up, so this mainly exists as a backup in case no one else tries it.)

If anyone else in the thread wants an item or two, feel free to provide the necessary info so i can send something out.

Ah, well, I'll happily take the ship...for real this time, though!

My name is

Seth

in the town

JohttoIs

(No, I did not know how to spell it correctly at the time)

I will happily give you an item as well when I get the chance.

Just for posterity, here's my card. The ink has long faded on the label but you can still sort of see it.

20211106_182204.jpg

Oof. I'm at the last dungeon, and not only do I still have, like, 30 more shadow pokemon to catch, but I have to keep leaving the dungeon to go purify more pokemon. This is gonna take longer than I thought, isn't it?
Yup. The pacing of Shadow Pokémon in the endgame is just kinda wack, especially considering how many there are on Citadark Isle.

I’ve got maybe 20 required shines left in Sunshine until I’m done with it.

Despite all my bitching, I can see a kernel of a good game here. It’s just buried deep beneath a pile of glitches and poor design choices.

I guess if you get some help, break your badge in half and give the other half to your assistant.
😉

Nah that's fine, no worries.
Alright thanks
I's because my boyfriend arrived home for the week, so I don't want to just leave him alone to do some challenges lel, he might as well play with me :v

Well, got gold in Double Dash's All Cup mode. Noticed the challenge didn't give a CC requirement, but thought where's the fun in taking the easy route with 50CC and did it in 150CC.

Good God, going back to DD's steering after all this time was a rude awakening. You go flying everywhere with the slightest touch. Was ultra lucky that I was far enough in front that no matter how awful I did on Rainbow Road I was guaranteed gold. Good thing too, cos that race was murder.

That is Cubivore down. It's a really fun game. Light and breezy with a simple concept that doesn't overstay it's welcome. Based on my previous save file, I hundred percented it in less than 10 hours. I have no idea how I originally came to own this game as a kid, but I'm glad I got it! It is clear even from pictures that it was conceived as an N64 game though, so don't get your hopes up for graphics or complexity of systems. I honestly think an e-shop sequel would be really fun and would be pretty hype for me.

My only real complaint is the camera, which is very tight to your character making it hard to see what's around you until you get used to using the radar more than the main screen. It's fun to see how all of the mutations look and behave differently, and how the "families" share attributes. Kind of a similar vibe as pokemon, but obviously more limited and plays pretty differently.

Having learned recently that it's probably the most valuable game I own, I can't really recommend seeking it out to play at the prices it goes for. It's really bonkers what it goes for these days. But if you find out you have a copy tucked away that you've never played, I recommend that you give it a shot!

My name is

Seth

in the town

JohttoIs

Just for posterity, here's my card. The ink has long faded on the label but you can still sort of see it.

View attachment 94
Sent you an item for the Animal Crossing challenge !
Password is :

wREqcYejKD728rONmxfFV78YHIpQ

Oh boo, I think my copy of animal crossing is lost in storage at my parent's... I don't think I'll get it back in time for the challenge.

Started playing Donkey Konga today and I have no idea what would count for the Commemorative Cube badge. Any thoughts about that Fami?

Finally done with Mario Sunshine. I must admit my memory of this game was way better than playing it. Without this board I wouldn't have finished it. I'm glad it's done lol

Wizbyy66_20211107_172436.jpg
h1xMxPVp_20211107_172432.jpg
MF9WAF7m_20211107_172428.jpg
iVECqVbt_20211107_172424.jpg

Edit:

I think i should add a few more thoughts about the game.

Overall i still love the setting of sunshine and this beautiful chilled vibe that the game has. I must also say that I like the slide upgrade of the 3d all stars collection. It's still a beautiful game.

However it really felt punishing. I often felt like I can't control mario to 100% which usually is never the case in a mario game. That the missions have no checkpoints also felt a few times extremely punishing. And the mission Design just never felt good to me.

If I would have to rate the game it honestly would be just a 7/10 for me.

Last edited:
Perhaps a bit cheeky because it's a rather short game, but I decided to give WarioWorld a replay for the complete any GameCube game challenge. Though while I could rush through it, I'll make sure to collect all the goodies along the way to complete it proper.

Ended up doing it alone since boyfriend didn't wanted to make me lose lmao
Tomorrow, I'll do the Melee one and see if I stilll got my save for Sunshine with all the shines (those goddamn blue coins)
7WhVVP3.jpg

My name is

Seth

in the town

JohttoIs

54qrmEl.png
HzXXf4x.png

Here, this should work.

Thanks for the item offer BTW, though i probably won't need it.
Sent you an item for the Animal Crossing challenge !
Password is :

wREqcYejKD728rONmxfFV78YHIpQ
Either one of two things are wrong with this code.
  1. Regional Differences, the Japanese (and maybe the EU build as well.) version of Animal Crossing generates codes differently than the US version.
  2. A typo, both the town name and villager names are case-sensitive. Which would include that capital I in the middle of "JohttoIs".
I'm leaning towards the former, as decoding it reveals that the town name seems to be corrupted.
Q7tF7z6.png

I've went through the trouble of repairing the code, so hopefully this should be working properly now.
Code:
e#MVIYeIDlQwKU
CGQxf%isKxtGJQ

54qrmEl.png
HzXXf4x.png

Here, this should work.

Thanks for the item offer BTW, though i probably won't need it.

Either one of two things are wrong with this code.
  1. Regional Differences, the Japanese (and maybe the EU build as well.) version of Animal Crossing generates codes differently than the US version.
  2. A typo, both the town name and villager names are case-sensitive. Which would include that capital I in the middle of "JohttoIs".
I'm leaning towards the former, as decoding it reveals that the town name seems to be corrupted.
Q7tF7z6.png

I've went through the trouble of repairing the code, so hopefully this should be working properly now.
Code:
e#MVIYeIDlQwKU
CGQxf%isKxtGJQ
Thanks so much, this has delighted me! I haven't done this since... damn, I don't even know when.

It return, sorry, but I can't NOT give you something. Enjoy this:

Code:
SxWX39U#lsyx#w
XVNVot&LnR5Cfr

I'll also take this opportunity to ask if anyone else has recollection of this urban legend regarding this feature...

I recall reading on an Animal Crossing fansite in 2003 or 2004 that there were malicious passwords that would cause the Nintendo GameCube laser's pot to adjust itself and burn a hole through your game disc, destroying it.

Obviously I know this is totally false, but I really need to see where I read that, I can't find it anywhere.

I thought I took a snapshot with the blue coins but that doesn't seem to be the case - I do have an image with 120 shines, though?

C-C-C-COMBOOOOO

Thank god I haven't deleted my saves once again
Also Cruel Melee was the worst thing I did until now

QJmZqsa.jpg
PGHQ6tS.jpg
T67EdDz.jpg

I've been a bit quiet on my progress, but I'm happy to report that, not counting Blue Coins, I have 60 of the 120 Shine Sprites - halfway to 120! The return trip to Isle Delfino has been filled with ups and downs, but I'm progressing nevertheless.

The back three levels definitely throw more at you though, with longer and more complicated missions. In particular I'm a little burned out by Sirena Beach. Love the take of a haunted hotel as a twist on the classic ghost house, but it's not all that fun of a level? And I haven't even gotten to the casino based missions yet.

I'm also not a fan of how...restrictive some of the missions can be? Like, it's not just how individual missions are locked to the episode selection, I'm fine with that. But Blue Coins only appear in certain missions. 100 Coins is only possible in certain missions. It makes progress less free flowing...though I suppose all that extra progress IS all optional, for better or for worse.

I did it. I finished Sunshine. Not the Blue Coins - I only rolled credits. Which is an accomplishment in and of itself, believe me.

W0z37FA.png

Oh, cool! Thanks @Dopply .

I recall reading on an Animal Crossing fansite in 2003 or 2004 that there were malicious passwords that would cause the Nintendo GameCube laser's pot to adjust itself and burn a hole through your game disc, destroying it.

Obviously I know this is totally false, but I really need to see where I read that, I can't find it anywhere.
Not really finding anything relating to that, but something a bit less disastrous actually exists in the game.
At some point in the mid-2000's, players managed to discover a trade code that freezes the game when loaded.

Not system breaking like the rumour, but Mr. Resetti certainly wouldn't be happy.

Wild World is the one that actually had the game breaking issue. For whatever reason, it was possible to add the internal "seeds" the game uses when initially creating a town into your inventory through hacking. Which bad actors could use to cause the game to become permanently unplayable by crashing on the title screen.

The original game avoided this simply by using a set of custom maps for the title screen demos, which would be unaffected by any changes to your main town.

Finally, while not related to the general issue at hand. I did stumble upon this moving article from an old Animal Crossing fansite.
AVz6wjq.png

(as a reminder, the internal clock on the Gamecube only goes up to 2030. Though i believe it would be theoretically possible for modders to fix that.)

ZJsnZqO.jpg

Thought I would play on 50 cc first to acclimate to the controls again, but then I noticed there wasn't a class requirement for the badge. I may go back and complete it again on 150 cc if I have time, but it was definitely an adjustment playing this after the more modern ones. What I still thought was cool were the different items depending on what characters you play as, but what I didn't remember is how much shit is everywhere on all the courses lol. Bananas galore. It was also hard not to want to do tricks off of the ramps and hills, or the geysers and logs in Dino Dino Jungle, for example. I did best in the levels that have been featured in retro cups in some of the more recent games (Sherbet Land, Yoshi Circuit, etc). Rainbow Road I didn't find that bad either, but I had a hard time with Mushroom City (hence why I didn't get 160 points). It was fun revisiting, I don't think I've played this since 2005 with some friends in college.

DfxzONd.jpg

@Dopply I hope I did this right, but that should be for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom