• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Site Event Community Game Challenge - Halloween 2021 | October 15th-November 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. So...

Just beaten Paratopic. And, well. What a strange and scary game. Seriously what the fuck was going on???
I knew it would be cryptic, I was warned, but wow, I didn't expect it that way.

To be honest... I really like the experience. Because yes, it really is an experience. And even if I understood like, 10% of the game lmao, it was really good. It's the kind of horror I LOVE, and I'm glad I bought it. I wanted to read some "story explanations" but I'll go with another playthrough instead, maybe tomorrow, and I'll introduce the game to my friends and my girlfriend.

I can't describe it more than saying it's a "kinda 45 minutes long walking simulator horror game" and I recommend it to you if you like Lovecraft kind of horror (I only have read one short story from him but as far as I know his works seems in the same vein). It also reminds me a lot of Silent Hill kind of story/narrative. Can't wait to do another playthrough (hopefully with my girlfriend).

V3wRjvQ.jpg

And here are all the achievements I unlocked:

CU4CVQJ.jpg

Also, on another note, I've beaten first episode of Resident Evil Revelations 2. First time I tried it it was on PC and I thought the port was pretty awful. Usually I play shooters on PC but wtf they really messed up with RERev2 aiming. So the other solution, since I am avoiding playing shooters with a controller, is gyro aiming. I bought it on sale on Switch and tbh the port is far better than the PC one imo. I can finally enjoy the game, and even if its not a masterpiece, it's correct. I had some fun doing the first episode and I'll continue tomorrow.

ZuF2cMT.jpg

Now that all is said, I'm disappointed I don't have my PC right now. I would have done some Resident Evil 2 Remake on Hardcore difficulty for one more badge :p (I don't want to do any other RE on max difficulty at the moment tbh)

( @Dopply )
Great to see that you beat paratopic now too :) Lovecraft isn't a bad comparison. I read all his stories and it definitely has a bit of that vibe. You should check out more of his stories its worth it.

Great to see that you beat paratopic now too :) Lovecraft isn't a bad comparison. I read all his stories and it definitely has a bit of that vibe. You should check out more of his stories its worth it.
I definitely have to do so but since I have concentration problems when reading it's pretty hard for me ahah. But I'll try for sure because the one I read was really cool (The Lurking Fear).

I definitely have to do so but since I have concentration problems when reading it's pretty hard for me ahah. But I'll try for sure because the one I read was really cool (The Lurking Fear).
I have the same issue with reading that's why I listened to most of his stories as audiobooks before falling to sleep.

Man I totally forgot that it's random in OG Luigi's Mansion whether the loot will spawn or not for any given room. I had to enter and exit an area 4 times for a gold bar to spawn in one of the chandeliers.

Just finished Resident Evil Deadly Silence. The control took awhile to get use to but I enjoy my time with it. Still deciding my next horror game to play.

R7tcwC9.jpg

Did another playthrough of Paratopic. Didn't understand much more lmao but I think the game is fascinating. Want to do another one as I'm starting to read some story explanation/theories.

Finished the original Luigi's Mansion with an A rank. I hadn't done it before (I think) but A rank isn't too strenuous if you get all the Boos and water all the plants.

I haven't played the game in probably a decade at least, and it's really held up! My wife couldn't believe it was on the Gamecube, and a launch game at that! I remember playing through this every few weekends when Gamecube was all I had. It's really enjoyably breezy, but a pretty different game than the newer duo. I don't quite understand some folks desire to return to the "portrait ghost" idea though. None of them are particularly memorable and more just broad stroke ideas. The scenarios of 3 are way more interesting. The boos in the basement drove me insane though because they constantly went back and forth requiring me to go through the room with the dust piles over and over again. Very clunky in that specific spot. I also couldn't believe how solid bowser looked either. This was just after the N64. It's just wild this was the jump in quality back then.

Murder House is here and has a glorious icon

It's a very very uncomfortable game 😅

I know what I need to do to finish it now but I still couldn't do it

I'd recommend a play or at least a watch! I'd rather just watch the ending at this point as I'm kinda scared of retrying 😅 but I'll try to keep on for the badge

I've never played any Luigi's Mansion game. What can it really be compared to, guys? What's the gameplay like?

Castlevania Circle of the Moon beaten!

noHlJwt.jpg

A good game, marred by some abysmal bosses. Next up, I wanna give Luigi's Mansion a go!

Murder House is here and has a glorious icon

It's a very very uncomfortable game 😅

I know what I need to do to finish it now but I still couldn't do it

I'd recommend a play or at least a watch! I'd rather just watch the ending at this point as I'm kinda scared of retrying 😅 but I'll try to keep on for the badge
I did it! 😭

My last save file - it has limited saves, they use pencils, and I ran out of pencils yesterday
FCRkLuBVkA0KVIP

Credits screen grab
FCRkLuLVEAIl78N

There's some other stuff I recorded and screen grabbed but it was pretty spoilery

And that's a beaten Aria of Sorrow! Wow. Really good game too, had never played it to the end before.

IMG_20211022_015536.jpg
I actually never paid much attention to the Metroidvanias, I should play more.

I've never played any Luigi's Mansion game. What can it really be compared to, guys? What's the gameplay like?
I like to think the first Luigi's Mansion is a Resident Evil parody kinda: you are in a haunted mansion, searching for keys or items to progress, with a bit of backtracking. But instead of having guns, you have a vacuum cleaner. You gotta suck in the ghosts all over the house, and hopefully find your brother Mario (because the game is about that after all).

First Luigi's Mansion is one of my favorite game. And not only because it came when I was younger, but also because I love the concept, the ideas, and the atmosphere.

Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3 took a different path somehow, but the idea of getting into some haunted place with a vacuum cleaner and having to fight ghosts with it is still there. It also has more puzzles to solve if I'm remembering correctly (and it's also true for LM3).
LM2 got 5 différents mansions, which are smaller than the original's one, and is level-segmented. It's more like "You have a mission ; do it, come back, and we'll give you another one to progress". It's a divisive Idea that everyone doesn't like, but tbh even if I think LM1 is better, LM2 is also really good. The only problem about that "mission system" to me is in the game's pace, because you are not longer really able to free roam in the mansion.

LM3 is the perfect balance between the two games imo. You are in a giant hotel, each floor has its thematic, you are more free but always have some kind of objective to accomplish.

I definitely recommand you the series, these games are really cool!

And that's a beaten Aria of Sorrow! Wow. Really good game too, had never played it to the end before.

IMG_20211022_015536.jpg
I actually never paid much attention to the Metroidvanias, I should play more.
Well done! The only Castlevania Metroidvania I play was Symphony of the Night which is really insane. I should play the others.
If you aren't familiar with Metroidvania at the moment, let me recommand you some: actual Metroid series (especially Dread which is incredible), Ori (the two games are excellent but the second really is a masterpiece imo), or Axiom Verge (didn't play AV2 tho). I played a lot of Metroidvania since it's one of my favorite genre, but these are the ones I thought about immediately.

I did it! 😭

My last save file - it has limited saves, they use pencils, and I ran out of pencils yesterday
FCRkLuBVkA0KVIP

Credits screen grab
FCRkLuLVEAIl78N

There's some other stuff I recorded and screen grabbed but it was pretty spoilery

Wow, didn't heard of that game before but I watched some videos and it looks so cool! I might give it a try someday, thank you for the discovery!

Last edited:

Resi competed and on the hardest difficulty, SotN completed and double Crissaegrim.
I'll be back for Jack 😉

Last edited:
Well done! The only Castlevania Metroidvania I play was Symphony of the Night which is really insane. I should play the others.
If you aren't familiar with Metroidvania at the moment, let me recommand you some: actual Metroid series (especially Dread which is incredible), Ori (the two games are excellent but the second really is a masterpiece imo), or Axiom Verge (didn't play AV2 tho). I played a lot of Metroidvania since it's one of my favorite genre, but these are the ones I thought about immediately.
Oh, thanks! But I was actually using "Metroidvania" in it's original sense haha. I never paid much attention the the Castlevanias that were like Metroid. I absolutely adore the Metroid series (and should play Axiom Verge actually).

...Hmm. Now I can't decide If my next game is going to be Dawn of Sorrow or Axiom Verge

Oh, thanks! But I was actually using "Metroidvania" in it's original sense haha. I never paid much attention the the Castlevanias that were like Metroid. I absolutely adore the Metroid series (and should play Axiom Verge actually).

...Hmm. Now I can't decide If my next game is going to be Dawn of Sorrow or Axiom Verge
Oh, my bad lol 😅

Don't know if this has been asked before but does Bloodborne qualify as a horror game for this challenge? It's kind of spoopy and I am going to replay it anyway, but I'd like to know.

This one for the Horror Icon:
Complete any game in the horror genre.
Game : Splatterhouse on Wii VC
Really fun game and a bit hard for me since i'm not that good at side scrolling game, took me a few hours.
If this game didn't have 5 continues I don't think I can beat it in one day.

FCUaNWiVEAAG61X

FCUaXJ4UUAE8e2B

Hopefully I can get one more badge, between Luigi's Mansion GC, REmake on Hard, or Castlevania Crissaegrim. They're all seems hard, need more than a few days.

One more Halloween DIY and it'll be over for the Animal Crossing badge. Took me like 3h of balloon hunting today to get 1 of them lol 😭

I think I'll finish RE Revelation 2 second episode tonight.

Would like to try the Professional Resident badge after these two but I don't know if I'll have the time. Didn't want to do another RE1 playthrough at first (since it's probably the only one I'd like to beat on hardest difficulty) but the more I think about it the more it seems kinda fun to do it for the challenge, and it's the only one I could do (because I don't have the hardware to play Silent Hill or Castlevania SotN right now), so... I'll let you know ahah

Duuuude I was holding my breath when it was doing the last count for my valuables.....wasn't sure I was going to make it because I couldn't get a gold frame of that ice ghost Sir Weston for the life of me. Catching all the boos and watering the giant plant came in clutch.

zxVb5rv.jpg

dkWl8W7.jpg

b4P5ZdY.jpg

Here's my submission for the AC challenge. I've included my purchases from the past three days, all new. If something's wrong, let me know.

Here's my submission for Haunted Castle (finished Castlevania NES):

RaQA3W2.jpg

Question, does Castlevania (NES) also count as a horror game? If so, does it qualify for the Horror Icon badge as well? Or are we doing 1 badge per challenge?

Here's my submission for Haunted Castle (finished Castlevania NES):

RaQA3W2.jpg

Question, does Castlevania (NES) also count as a horror game? If so, does it qualify for the Horror Icon badge as well? Or are we doing 1 badge per challenge?
The Horror badge is for games outside of the ones featured, so no RE, SH, or Castlevania.

I'm trying my hand at replaying the first Castlevania for the challenge. Even having "beaten" it in the past with save states, it's a tough game! I'm not used to just how stiff Simon is to control, even though the game is built around it, but I've gotten used to the timing of the hazards and some things are coming back to me. I'm also trying to hold back on save states, using them more as between level saves than quick retry points. Still gotta do the whole level, but I can pause and resume to alleviate the extra life grind.

I've reached the 5th level, the one I'm the worst at. Death awaits...

dq274Tu.png

I forgot to enter this yesterday. I beat RE3: Nemesis yesterday for the first time. I know this isn't the best end screen possible, but RetroArch is finnicky with screenshots. Sorry! Hope this still counts haha :LOL:

I'm making progress in stage 5. I feel like I got most of the stage down, but the final room is brutal. So many projectiles thrown at you, and Simon's limited mobility makes it so challenging. Let alone Death. I've gotten some good runs up to that point but no successes...

...AND THEN THIS HAPPENED.

I think this playthrough may be cursed. If I was playing on original hardware I'd be so mad.

Eo7fnqz.jpg

Spooking up the attic, hopefully I'll get some more recipes before the month is over.

Finally... 3 Halloween DIY recipes!

7jWtnCH.jpg

As I said I had to start a new island so I wasn't sure if I could get the badge, but there we are! ( @Dopply )

Also, I'm currently on RE Revelations 2 third episode. Maybe I'll finish the game today, I'll let you know!

And before I go... This is my 100th post! When I signed up on Famiboards last friday I didn't think I would love the forum this much. It's always a pleasure to be here with you all! 😄

It’s so fun to see everyone here absolutely killing it in this challenge.

Meanwhile, I’m struggling to get through one Castlevania for the month. Hopefully. 😭

It’s so fun to see everyone here absolutely killing it in this challenge.

Meanwhile, I’m struggling to get through one Castlevania for the month. Hopefully. 😭
Community Challenges are so much of a good idea, I already can't wait to see what the next ones will be ahah

Hoping you could get you Castlevania badge!

Taking some inspiration from Discord recommendations, I've done a quick playthrough of the short psychological horror Dispatch, simulating a disturbing incident from the perspective of a police dispatcher - complete with ending jump-scare. An interesting idea, all in all, even if there's not all that much real gameplay. It doesn't lend itself all that well to completion 'proof', but I took a screenshot during the credits:

Dispatch.png

@Dopply :)

Last edited:
I'm thinking about doing Resident Evil REmake (the first one) on hardest difficulty but I have a question for @Dopply : there are 4 difficulty settings within the game (Very Easy, Easy, Normal and Hard). But there is also a special option apart from difficulty settings to make enemies invisible. Do I have to play with it? Please say no lmaooo

I'm thinking about doing Resident Evil REmake (the first one) on hardest difficulty but I have a question for @Dopply : there are 4 difficulty settings within the game (Very Easy, Easy, Normal and Hard). But there is also a special option apart from difficulty settings to make enemies invisible. Do I have to play with it? Please say no lmaooo
Badge says hardest difficulty available, not hardest option, so no, just playing on Hard is enough lol

Badge says hardest difficulty available, not hardest option, so no, just playing on Hard is enough lol
God thank you lol
Never played the first RE in hard mode so it might be really tough already

EDIT: I always have my save so I can do a Hard mode playthrough!
Something strange is I have to go through New Game + to select Hard difficulty, and since I heard I might maybe have superpowered weapons (Rocket Launcher and Samurai Edge I think) by playing NG+, I'll set myself a rule: not using them if I find them (otherwise it would be too easy lol).

Last edited:
God thank you lol
Never played the first RE in hard mode so it might be really tough already

EDIT: I always have my save so I can do a Hard mode playthrough!
Something strange is I have to go through New Game + to select Hard difficulty, and since I heard I might maybe have superpowered weapons (Rocket Launcher and Samurai Edge I think) by playing NG+, I'll set myself a rule: not using them if I find them (otherwise it would be too easy lol).

Dodge any enemy you can to conserve ammo! You wanna use your gun only if you have to lol. (also burn the corpses!)

I really need to get started with my Professional RE4 run. I was meaning to do it the other night, but somehow fell down a rabbit hole of binge watching all of Dead Meat's Nightmare on Elm Street kill count videos. Which, naturally, has lead me to wanting to do an Elm Street marathon this weekend. So I'll be alternating between that and RE4, and maybe both at the same time... specifically during Dream Child, because.. why

And like @Raytro I'll be strictly sticking with the standard weapon options, as well as not use any outfits. Although I will most definitely regret not having Ashley in the knight outfit. (the clanging is annoying, but gosh is it useful)

I’m not into horror games and don’t own any Castlevania games so I doubt I’ll participate but I love the idea of community challenges.

Sooooooo... Resident Evil Revelations 2 done.

3H1XkpD.jpg

AihZsIu.jpg

What could I say about it?

RE Revelations wasn't as bad as I thought. I always heard the game was awful, but I had to do it, because I love the Resident Evil series. Now I've done it, I can say it's the least good I've played. But it wasn't bad.
The main issue I have with the game is it has so many good ideas but doesn't apply them well enough. In these ideas I mostly retain:
  • The duos Claire/Moira & Barry/Natalia. Claire and Barry are the gunfighters while Moira and Natalia aren't really good fighters but can be used to find hidden items and do some specific actions. Natalia even can see invisibles enemies and where the enemies are with some kind of sixth sense, which is really cool.​
  • Game is divided into 4 episodes (excluding DLCs), and each episode is divided into 2 parts; the first part with Claire/Moira, and the second with Barry/Natalia
    6 months later. Doing things in Claire/Moira part can sometimes affect the second part, and I think it's a great idea.

There are others but these are the two I liked the most. Fact is these ideas are cool but not used enough. For example, I would have loved to play more puzzles-based parts with Moira/Natalia, like in the third episode. Or
doing things with Claire/Moira that can have HUGE effects on Barry/Natalia segment, because it's too limited in the actual game.

Also, there are 2 endings, and the way to trigger one or the other is kinda dumb. I mean I understand what they tried to do but it wasn't good.
Speaking of endings, I can't not talk about the plot, which is not very good, almost stupid, even for Resident Evil. It ended giving more questions than answers, which is kinda ironic for a game called REVELATIONS. Ffs I even prefered the bad ending because it seems less messy than the good one lmao.

And last but not least... IA. God, IA in this game is so idiot. But not the enemies IA, no, your partner's one, obviously. Damn it sometimes was terrible, like when your partner decide to not following your anymore, or him being stuck somewhere for no reason.

On another note: I played the Switch port, which is good. Far better than my experience on the PC one lmao. I had some frames drops but it wasn't too much of a problem except maybe once. Also, gyro aiming is a bit weird. It lacks accuracy and did some strange things sometimes but it wasn't a big deal. At least it was better than aiming with the mouse in the PC version (I don't know how they ended failing this but they did), so it's better than nothing.

But hey, you know what? Well, I enjoyed most of Resident Evil Revelations 2. Sure it's not the game of the decade. Sure it has its flaws, and really bad ones at that. But even with all I said, it was for the most part a good time. Game is correct, sometimes average, but it's not bad as I said. I'm happy I finally did it. It was a guilty pleasure that ended being cool enough to keep me playing, and with all its very good ideas it was a good time. I'll give it a 6 out of 10!

Aaaaaand finally I can feature my Resident Evil badge! Hopefully I'll get the other soon :giggle:
EDIT: I can't choose anymore to feature or not my badges, is that normal? @Dopply

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom