• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Site Event Community Game Challenge - Halloween 2021 | October 15th-November 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never played any castlevania before, were all games like this where you got few lives then if you're dead and out of lives you're back to the beginning of the level without save point.
It could be worse, some games would send you back to the start of the game, Castlevania wasn't that punishing at least lol. Definitely a better experience with save states these days for the pre-SotN games though for sure.

Eternal Darkness has been good fun and is surprisingly breezy. I remember having trouble with it when I was younger but this is much more straightforward than most survival horror titles. Confident I'll be on to another game before long.

I'd forgotten a lot more than I realized, including most of the ways the game has fun with you.

I think I enjoy the subtler, eerie effects more though.

I've always wanted try Eternal Darkness. It looks really cool! Also, I know one level is based on the Amiens Cathedral, and I used to live in Amiens ahahah. It intrigues me.
I found Rondo to be one of the more difficult ones in my series playthrough so far tbh. SotN is a lot more forgiving though.
Rondo was quiet difficult sometimes but I think the most difficult I did was Castlevania III. Damn, some stages were absolute nightmare in my memory. I remember one stage at the end of the first game being fucking hard too.

Finished Dread yesterday so I should be able to do a quick horror game for the challenge. Now I just have to decide which one. Really too bad that Fatal Frame doesn't come out until Halloween weekend itself.

Finally Rondo of Blood finished

my psn profile for the trophy
Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood Trophies • PSNProfiles.com

This is my first Castlevania game, thanks to this thread i finally give a try.
Some of the bosses are really hard, like the stage 5 Death it took me 2 hours, and the final bosses first phase i can beat him without any damage, but the second phase its feels really not fair >.> funny thing is this run i already giving up after getting hit by first phase but i'll just keep going to practice the second one, and then somehow i beat him :D .
Next probably i'll try SOTN or the Resident Evil Remake, somehow i never beat that game too.

Last edited:
Damn it, I just beat Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance right before seeing this! :(

Guess I'll try to beat RE3 and Aria of Sorrow during this challenge (maybe Luigi's Mansion 3 too?)

Both finished:

Aria of Sorrow
QtSIPvZ_d.webp

Dracula X
244184600_10226967178949122_3143119204665364526_n.jpg

Going through Resident Evil REmake (Origins Collection) on my PS4 at the moment. Also playing it on hard mode so I'll be able to knock out two birds with one stone. This game is still a masterpiece and looks amazing to this day. Just got to the Guardhouse Residence and ready to kick some plant butt.

Following our talks with @Bulletbill10 , I'm giving Castlevania The Adventure another chance. And, well, I'm happy about doing it because I think the game is cool, actually. When I tried it the first time, I just finished great games in the series, like, Rondo of Blood. So obviously it was a shock. Now I didn't play Castlevania in months, the game is far more enjoyable and is in my opinion good. I did the first 2 stages, now it's time for the 2 others!

I finished a game for the horror badge. It's called paratopic. As I didn't know how much time I will have this month for this challenge I googled for a short horror game and found this.

Honestly it's a very weird one. I didn't really understood much in this 1 hour adventure. But at the end it shows achievements and I feel like to really understand the full story it needs many playthroughs.

I don't know if I would recommend it. If you love indie games and want to experience something completely different then give it a go. It's on sale for 2 euro.

ZzwICHTy_20211018_230542.jpg
Msp694eI_20211018_230547.jpg

Why does the Nintendo community have a challenge tied to Castlevania: SOTN, which has never been released for a Nintendo platform?

I know it's a beloved game and all, but still...

Why does the Nintendo community have a challenge tied to Castlevania: SOTN, which has never been released for a Nintendo platform?

I know it's a beloved game and all, but still...
I think you might be taking a bit of a hardline stance on "Nintendo community". I think it's fair to say that community members here play other platforms.

With that said, it's because I developed these challenges before this community turned into a Nintendo-first forum. Going forward, badges and events will be far more Nintendo centric. I feel bad for not having an Eternal Darkness badge, I promise!

On that note, the badge system has been temporarily disabled while we deal with technical problems related to it. Bear with us! You can continue to post your challenge progress here and you will have a badge awarded to you when the system is back online.

I think you might be taking a bit of a hardline stance on "Nintendo community". I think it's fair to say that community members here play other platforms.

With that said, it's because I developed these challenges before this community turned into a Nintendo-first forum. Going forward, badges and events will be far more Nintendo centric. I feel bad for not having an Eternal Darkness badge, I promise!

On that note, the badge system has been temporarily disabled while we deal with technical problems related to it. Bear with us! You can continue to post your challenge progress here and you will have a badge awarded to you when the system is back online.

No worries, I appreciate the work and thought that went into this. I'm not much for spooky games myself so probably won't participate this time out, but I'll be watching out for the next ones!

I've just beaten Castlevania: The Adventure!

QuomrQ7.jpg

I have to say... I didn't expect to like it that much! Like I said:
When I tried it the first time, I just finished great games in the series, like, Rondo of Blood. So obviously it was a shock. Now I didn't play Castlevania in months, the game is far more enjoyable and is in my opinion good.
Just finished the game as I write this and it was really cool. Not a masterpiece but I think for a GameBoy game it's still nice. I heard the next one was faaaar better so I might give it a try.

On another note:
I finished a game for the horror badge. It's called paratopic. As I didn't know how much time I will have this month for this challenge I googled for a short horror game and found this.

Honestly it's a very weird one. I didn't really understood much in this 1 hour adventure. But at the end it shows achievements and I feel like to really understand the full story it needs many playthroughs.

I don't know if I would recommend it. If you love indie games and want to experience something completely different then give it a go. It's on sale for 2 euro.

ZzwICHTy_20211018_230542.jpg
Msp694eI_20211018_230547.jpg
I want to try Paratropic since so many months I stopped counting. Maybe I'll take it if the discount is still up.

Now, I'm asking to myself: "should I do Resident Evil Revelations 2?". I have some days left before I have to work at the end of the months, so... Maybe ahah

@Dopply My badges are messed up, originally beat Super Castlevania IV and not Silent Hill and had a Patron badge. Not sure what happened.

Yeah, that's leftover from me trying to fix the badge system. Not sure what happened either; I'll try to get it cleared up shortly.
Thanks so much! Appreciate it, loving the new designs on the badges.

I went to the trouble of finding three of the new Halloween Recipes for the Animal Crossing challenge in New Horizons. I generally think the new items are pretty cute, especially the candy bucket you can carry!

Edit: I saw the updated Castlevania badge earlier, but it seems to be gone again! Hopefully you get it working soon! I really enjoy these as a reason to revisit some games. Currently working on Luigi's Mansion!

I went to the trouble of finding three of the new Halloween Recipes for the Animal Crossing challenge in New Horizons. I generally think the new items are pretty cute, especially the candy bucket you can carry!

Edit: I saw the updated Castlevania badge earlier, but it seems to be gone again! Hopefully you get it working soon! I really enjoy these as a reason to revisit some games. Currently working on Luigi's Mansion!

You still have your badge, but you can choose to feature it or not. Go to your profile and hit the loudspeaker icon on the badges you want to feature on your profile.

This is a great idea! I could go for beating another Castlevania game, finally, and I never did beat Luigi's Mansion. Question about the Animal Crossing Halloween event - since the New Horizons event takes place all over October, what counts as participating? Just getting three DIY items, or actively participating on Halloween Day?

I started Resident Evil 7 on xCloud and I'll try to complete it but wow what a tense and uncomfortable game, I barely can explore the map. I'll try to get used to it though
Also I still have Revelations 1 unfinished on Switch, and I want to try Detention
Hopefully I'll finish something for the challenge!

This is a great idea! I could go for beating another Castlevania game, finally, and I never did beat Luigi's Mansion. Question about the Animal Crossing Halloween event - since the New Horizons event takes place all over October, what counts as participating? Just getting three DIY items, or actively participating on Halloween Day?
Any time in October is fine!

The challenge made me look back into AC again :) it's kinda cool to see my island again. Who knows maybe with the new update I will play it more again.

TkTGHShI_20211019_122912.jpg

Eeeeeh, I really want to boot up my Animal Crossing for the badge, but I lost my island by changing from my OG Switch to OLED (forgot you can't cloud save your island). It's not a big deal because I don't play ACNH anymore but I'm far too lazy to restart a new island, with the tutorial, etc etc, besides I'm not time travelling so it would be a pain in the ass lmao.

But... Hey, who knows what I'm really going to do.......... 😭

Finished Castlevania: CotM earlier this month.

IMG-2035.jpg

Just beat Luigi's Mansion 3 with an A rank. Like a huge idiot I spent a bunch of coins on bones and gem finders before the final fight only realising after that rank is tied to money!

Had to grind out the last 10,000 or so coins but I did find all the gems and Boos so at least it didn't feel like a total waste of time.

IMG-2034-2.jpg

A nice way to encourage community activities! With recent 100% completions of both games in the Castlevania Requiem collection, I think I can claim Haunted Castle, Crissaegrim Crisis and Horror Icon? My screenshots below:

Castlevania-Requiem-Symphony-Of-The-Night-Rondo-Of-Blood-20211019154539.jpg

Castlevania-Requiem-Symphony-Of-The-Night-Rondo-Of-Blood-20211019154621.jpg

Castlevania-Requiem-Symphony-Of-The-Night-Rondo-Of-Blood-20211019154731.jpg

Been a bit slow to getting round to doing these challenges because I've been finishing Dread but I just completed it today (great game) so I can finally get started on playing some more Halloweeny stuff.
If I have time I'm gonna start a hardcore playthrough of RE2 Remake tonight which hopefully won't take too long to beat because I've played that game so many times. And then after that work on Luigi's Mansion A rank.
I have a question btw, do accomplishments towards badges stack? So for example, if I beat RE2 Remake on hardcore would that get me the "complete any re game" "complete any re game on the hardest difficulty" and "complete any game in the horror genre" badges?

Been a bit slow to getting round to doing these challenges because I've been finishing Dread but I just completed it today (great game) so I can finally get started on playing some more Halloweeny stuff.
If I have time I'm gonna start a hardcore playthrough of RE2 Remake tonight which hopefully won't take too long to beat because I've played that game so many times. And then after that work on Luigi's Mansion A rank.
I have a question btw, do accomplishments towards badges stack? So for example, if I beat RE2 Remake on hardcore would that get me the "complete any re game" "complete any re game on the hardest difficulty" and "complete any game in the horror genre" badges?
I think you would get both "complete any RE" and "complete any RE on hardest difficulty" but not the "complete any horror game"!

I think I will give Rondo of Blood another shot. There was one level that kept destroying me so I put it down a couple years ago. Maybe I will get through it this time!

I could also go back to RE2 remake or RE7... or RE4... maybe one day I will finish a RE game.

Hm, none for dread?

Also I got Castlevania collection on my switch, which will be the fastest to blast through(I have done IV in the past)

Finished Limbo today for the Horror category. Great game overall, although the first sections were much stronger, the forest area is much creepier and it's puzzles are less cliche like the box moving stuff in the industrial area.

20211019-163729.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely want to participate in this to some degree! I remember doing a similar challenge on Gaf back when the SNES Mini came out, and was really enjoying working through those games as a community. This seems like it has a lot of potential to be fun in that same vein, and I’ll be looking forward to future badge events. Can totally see this making up for the lack of actual trophies/achievements on Switch, lol.

Now.. as for the Halloween event - do I take this as my opportunity to play RE4 on Professional for the first time, or is it a sign to finally get Luigi’s Mansion 3?!

Well I did it, cleared Castlevania 1 for the first time(and my second Castlevania with 4 being my first… sigh I’ll get back to 64 one of these days)

image0.jpg

Loved how the credits has the classic monster movie actor call outs

ooo, I’m working on Castlevania: Circle of the Moon for the first time, so I’ll go for this!

weird question: is Kentucky Route Zero horror-adjacent enough for the Horror badge? Or should I replay Inside?

ooo, I’m working on Castlevania: Circle of the Moon for the first time, so I’ll go for this!

weird question: is Kentucky Route Zero horror-adjacent enough for the Horror badge? Or should I replay Inside?
I'll count it. :)

Started the Animal Crossing challenge today and got my first DIY...that I could then immediately buy in the store. Oh well.

0e3cbe34435898c7b10f4604623a20bb4768c298.jpg

And then not long ago I got another Spooky item DIY in a balloon!
e87c9ca02745adcc15aa120f158e4f7232f540b3.jpg

Two things hit me today:
  1. Today was the first time I heard 9 AM in New Horizons. Usually the earliest I've played the game was 10 AM!
  2. I really missed out on fall. I got 4 new bugs today without really trying.

I still need to go out and find the new Halloween DIY’s. How many new ones are there?

A nice way to encourage community activities! With recent 100% completions of both games in the Castlevania Requiem collection, I think I can claim Haunted Castle, Crissaegrim Crisis and Horror Icon? My screenshots below:

Castlevania-Requiem-Symphony-Of-The-Night-Rondo-Of-Blood-20211019154539.jpg

Castlevania-Requiem-Symphony-Of-The-Night-Rondo-Of-Blood-20211019154621.jpg

Castlevania-Requiem-Symphony-Of-The-Night-Rondo-Of-Blood-20211019154731.jpg
Horror Icon would apply to games outside the Castlevania series. : ) Also, when did you complete these games? To count for a badge, it has to be on or after October 15th.

Finished Castlevania: CotM earlier this month.

IMG-2035.jpg

Just beat Luigi's Mansion 3 with an A rank. Like a huge idiot I spent a bunch of coins on bones and gem finders before the final fight only realising after that rank is tied to money!

Had to grind out the last 10,000 or so coins but I did find all the gems and Boos so at least it didn't feel like a total waste of time.

IMG-2034-2.jpg
Apologies for the double post, but when did you beat Circle of the Moon? To qualify for the badge, it has to be on or after the event started (October 15th).

Also, I guess to make this easier on me, please @ me when you complete a challenge - I've accidentally missed a few because I didn't notice it was challenge related. A staff member or I will get to you as soon as we can!

Hm I guess I could do a fast runthrough of splatter house in the Namco arcade collection for the horror badge(That counts right?

Horror Icon would apply to games outside the Castlevania series. : ) Also, when did you complete these games? To count for a badge, it has to be on or after October 15th.
Ah, I was thinking that with two Castlevanias, one could count for Horror Icon instead? These weren't my first playthroughs, granted, but i replayed the ending sequences this past weekend, after initial exploration of the new site (including clocking this thread) but before signing up.

Ah, I was thinking that with two Castlevanias, one could count for Horror Icon instead? These weren't my first playthroughs, granted, but i replayed the ending sequences this past weekend, after initial exploration of the new site (including clocking this thread) but before signing up.
I'll give you Haunted Castle and the Criss badge since you beat the 'vanias this past weekend (and completed the challenge) but if you want the Horror Icon, I'll have to ask you to play through a separate series. Sorry about that!

I'll give you Haunted Castle and the Criss badge since you beat the 'vanias this past weekend (and completed the challenge) but if you want the Horror Icon, I'll have to ask you to play through a separate series. Sorry about that!

No problem, and thanks! I'll see about finding another game for Horror Icon. Has it been decided that Metroid Dread doesn't count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom