• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Site Event Community Game Challenge - Halloween 2021 | October 15th-November 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dopply

Developer
Pronouns
He/Him
famiboardschallengeimage.png

Welcome to Famiboard's first Community Game Challenge - appropriately enough, it is themed after the spookiest time of year, Halloween! This event will run from today until midnight on November 1st, 2021.

So, what is a community game challenge event? You can think of them as a cross between a traditional book club and standard game achievements. For the duration of the event, you will be eligible to earn badges on the board (that you can choose to feature on your postbit) by completing challenges related to the event's theme.

Here are the challenges for this event:

famiboard_badges_hw01.png
Quiet Mountain:
Complete any Silent Hill title.

famiboard_badges_hw06.png
Hey Now, You're A Ten Star :
Earn a 10 star ranking in any Silent Hill title.

famiboard_badges_hw02.png
Bad Tenant:
Complete any Resident Evil game.

famiboard_badges_hw07.png
Professional Resident:
Complete any Resident Evil game on the hardest difficulty available.

famiboard_badges_hw03.png
Haunted Castle :
Complete any Castlevania title.

famiboard_badges_hw08.png
Crissaegrim Crisis:
Get the Crissaegrim in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

famiboard_badges_hw04.png
Horror Icon:
Complete any game in the horror genre.

famiboard_badges_hw05.png
All Jacked Up:
Participate in any Animal Crossing game’s Halloween event and get at least three pieces of Spooky furniture or DIY recipe.

famiboard_badges_hw09.png
Luigi's Large House:
Get an A-ranked (or S Ranked for Dark Moon) Mansion ending in a Luigi’s Mansion game.

After successfully completing the challenge, post the proof of your accomplishment here in this thread (video or image evidence will suffice; this is basically on the honor system, there won't be an in-depth verification. It's for fun!). A staff member will eventually award you with the badge showing your achievement. Please be patient, as this is a manual process.

In addition to completing the challenges, I encourage you to discuss and journal your journeys through the game; even if you decide not to go for any challenges, any ghoulish banter during this haunted happening will warm my heart.

Future game challenges will be community-selected. While I certainly have ideas (and challenges to re-use), the next event will definitely be more community driven. Game challenges are an old tradition I'm carrying over from my old communities. I hope they are as fun as they have been for me. Enjoy and have fun!

Last edited:
Sounds like fun! Just a question: does this have to be done on real hardware, or will an emulator suffice? Just need to know if I have to dust off the Wii U to play some Luigi's Mansion.

Sounds like fun! Just a question: does this have to be done on real hardware, or will an emulator suffice? Just need to know if I have to dust off the Wii U to play some Luigi's Mansion.
Any method you choose is perfectly fine! This is all in the service of having a good time. That said, I've always found it more fun to dust off old consoles when participating in these events.
😉

I’m already playing through Luigi’s Mansion 3, but I could also sneak in the original before Halloween as well.

Any method you choose is perfectly fine! This is all in the service of having a good time. That said, I've always found it more fun to dust off old consoles when participating in these events.
😉
No problem! Was meaning to play Metroid Prime again, so the Wii U is definitely getting some love this season.

Definitely going for All Jacked Up, and maybe the Castlevania one. I really wanna dive into the Advance Collection on Switch, but I currently can’t afford it, so I hope I’ll be able to get it (and play through one of the games) before the end of the month.

Does Metroid count as a horror game, @Dopply?

I'd say that's stretching it a bit, haha. Besides, I have a feeling that we'll be having a dedicated Metroid event before you know it...

That’s what I thought, but you never know with those E.M.M.I.’s, haha. Thanks for the clarification!

Ooh, that's super cool. I think I'll try going for both Castlevania and Luigi's Mansion. It's been a while since I've played LM and replaying CV1 is always fun.

I was just thinking how I was hoping we would have community events. This is a fabulous start! Gonna try a few of these.

Having just bought the Castlevania Advance Collection, that’s the badge I’ll be going for.

The only Silent Hill game I’ve ever played was Shattered Memories on the Wii. Anyone else play that one?

Having just bought the Castlevania Advance Collection, that’s the badge I’ll be going for.

The only Silent Hill game I’ve ever played was Shattered Memories on the Wii. Anyone else play that one?
My spouse and I loved Shattered Memories. Played it together and compared how our monsters differed. Not a perfect game by any means and certainly not the best in the series, but it had some big ideas. It even tried the whole "You can't fight enemies" thing before Amnesia popularized it. I have a soft spot for Shattered Memories.

@Dopply Maybe it’d be fun to add a badge for playing on the Horror Land haunted house map of Mario Party Superstars. It’s a Nintendo game that’s coming out at the end of the month so it would be fitting. It’s shaping up to be a great game and a badge might push some people here to set up a few games with other people from the community.

mv_05.jpg

Progress update!
qkvtBJl.jpg
1gpKnB7.jpg

V62r3Ov.jpg
9EXAj19.jpg

Area 2 is down. Quite pleased with myself getting a lot more gold portraits than I usually do, especially with the bosses. Of course, I fully expect Boolossus to wreck my shit, so that streak won't last, lol! Think I missed a Speedy Spirit, but I think I'm on pace for the 100 million needed for an A rank. Just need to remember to water the plant for the Gold Diamond.

Also, a question. Do the final pictures needed for verification require my Famiboards account name in the shot? Just so I know what to do.

Last edited:
Also, a question. Do the final pictures needed for verification require my Famiboards account name in the shot? Just so I know what to do.
Yes please. If someone doesn't do this, I think that it'll be okay, but I would prefer names in the picture. It's more fun that way, I think.

This is such a cool idea. Well, I've already beaten many Castlevanias, Resident Evil and Silent Hill during the year, and since I can't play any other Silent Hill right now (I only have my 3DS and my Switch at the moment), I think I'll go for the Luigi's Mansion challenge. It just so happens because I wanted to do a new playthrough of LM1 these days ahah.

Last edited:
Well I'm playing Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon for Halloween, but not the first one. Shouldn't Luigi's Mansion have more options for challenges considering it's THE Halloween franchise from Nintendo?

Well I'm playing Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon for Halloween, but not the first one. Shouldn't Luigi's Mansion have more options for challenges considering it's THE Halloween franchise from Nintendo?
Sorry if this wasn't clear, but this challenge applies to all Luigi's Mansion games (it's called S rank in Dark Moon). I'll update the description for clarity, my bad.

Sorry if this wasn't clear, but this challenge applies to all Luigi's Mansion games (it's called S rank in Dark Moon). I'll update the description for clarity, my bad.
Oh, okay, cool! I'll try to go for that s rank then :)

I'd love to try to do one of the Castlevania ones, but sadly I don't have access to any of the games. :(

I might try the Luigi's Mansion one though, and will probably end up doing the Animal Crossing one too. This is a great idea - thanks for setting it up!

I never did get around to completing Luigi’s Mansion 1 or 3, but not sure if I do I’d be able to get an A rank

Poor European players with their harder Luigi's Mansion that locks A-rank behind the Hidden Mansion mode.

Gave it a good sleep after Area 2, and then banged out the rest of the game.
FAvYcia.jpg
lx8zyGx.jpg

Thought I missed the mark, but ended up crushing the final total! Not a perfect run by any means, I obviously left a whole lot of gold on the table (round about 30 million for NTSC original mansion IIRC), but that was a pretty good run, especially considering that I missed a few Speedy Spirits and skipped the Gold Mouse in the Sealed Room, because I am not hustling through the entire mansion just to try my luck again. The gold diamonds are your saviors going for A Rank, as without them you only have enough wiggle room to miss around 2 million gold or so. A word of advice: if you get the gold diamond from catching all the Boos, make sure you save at Toad before fighting King Boo! The game doesn't register the diamond in your inventory unless you save separately from when E. Gadd asks!

As expected, Boolossus and King Boo totally kicked my teeth in. Only times the entire run I ended up with less than 50 health, and King Boo in particular was the only cause of death during this run. The blackout was pretty tense as well, especially if you're like me and ended up going for the hidden Speedy Spirits that only show up during the blackout. You only get once chance at each of the three Spirits, and if you miss one, you're back to the start of Area 4 again if want another attempt. Not being able to save and getting constantly harassed by ghosts makes it quite the experience, especially if you don't remember where the large heart pickups are. Trying to wade through rooms crawling with enemies can lead to you getting surrounded very easily, and that's not a particularly fun place to be.

Final portrait count was thirteen golds, seven silvers, and three bronzes. Not too shabby at all.

Gave it a good sleep after Area 2, and then banged out the rest of the game.
FAvYcia.jpg
lx8zyGx.jpg

Thought I missed the mark, but ended up crushing the final total! Not a perfect run by any means, I obviously left a whole lot of gold on the table (round about 30 million for NTSC original mansion IIRC), but that was a pretty good run, especially considering that I missed a few Speedy Spirits and skipped the Gold Mouse in the Sealed Room, because I am not hustling through the entire mansion just to try my luck again. The gold diamonds are your saviors going for A Rank, as without them you only have enough wiggle room to miss around 2 million gold or so. A word of advice: if you get the gold diamond from catching all the Boos, make sure you save at Toad before fighting King Boo! The game doesn't register the diamond in your inventory unless you save separately from when E. Gadd asks!

As expected, Boolossus and King Boo totally kicked my teeth in. Only times the entire run I ended up with less than 50 health, and King Boo in particular was the only cause of death during this run. The blackout was pretty tense as well, especially if you're like me and ended up going for the hidden Speedy Spirits that only show up during the blackout. You only get once chance at each of the three Spirits, and if you miss one, you're back to the start of Area 4 again if want another attempt. Not being able to save and getting constantly harassed by ghosts makes it quite the experience, especially if you don't remember where the large heart pickups are. Trying to wade through rooms crawling with enemies can lead to you getting surrounded very easily, and that's not a particularly fun place to be.

Final portrait count was thirteen golds, seven silvers, and three bronzes. Not too shabby at all.
Congrats! You are officially the first Famiboards member to earn a game challenge badge. Thanks again for participating!

Future game challenges will be community-selected. While I certainly have ideas (and challenges to re-use), the next event will definitely be more community driven. Game challenges are an old tradition I'm carrying over from my old communities. I hope they are as fun as they have been for me. Enjoy and have fun!
Suggestion to add some Fatal Frame-related badges for this one, since we actually have a new Fatal Frame release coming out this month. :D

What about if you've done such things already? I did the Jack event last year in ACNH and have all furniture IIRC. I even kept a piece of candy and a lollipop. :p

Suggestion to add some Fatal Frame-related badges for this one, since we actually have a new Fatal Frame release coming out this month. :D
I typically don't add any badges after the event has started, unless I plan on extending the event.

I will most likely create a Game Challenge ST sometime in the future where the new challenges are brainstormed and the themes are voted on.

What about if you've done such things already? I did the Jack event last year in ACNH and have all furniture IIRC. I even kept a piece of candy and a lollipop. :p
Only challenges completed during the event timeframe will net you a badge. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of an event. 😜

This is a fun idea. I'm currently on my annual play through of Super Castlevania IV that started at the beginning of October but I'll finish it up today to participate!

I love this! Now I wish I would have my 3ds here for Luigis Mansion. But i will try to at least finish one horror game on switch!

Was thinking about Horror Icon badge: I guess it's not cumulative with doing RE/SH games? Maybe it's a dumb question but I'm curious about that lol

I think I'll start Luigi's Mansion tomorrow. Maybe I'll also do the Resident Evil one, and maybe also Animal Crossing and Castlevania, since Castlevania: Bloodlines is coming to NSO at the end of the month.

I just beat my first castlevania game!

Wow, what did you think about The Adventure? I tried it back in July when I was in a Castlevania phase, and I didn't play it much because it feels so slooooow ahah. Curious to know whats your thoughts about it.

Was thinking about Horror Icon badge: I guess it's not cumulative with doing RE/SH games? Maybe it's a dumb question but I'm curious about that lol

I think I'll start Luigi's Mansion tomorrow. Maybe I'll also do the Resident Evil one, and maybe also Animal Crossing and Castlevania, since Castlevania: Bloodlines is coming to NSO at the end of the month.

Wow, what did you think about The Adventure? I tried it back in July when I was in a Castlevania phase, and I didn't play it much because it feels so slooooow ahah. Curious to know whats your thoughts about it.
No, it's not cumulative. Sorry about that. : P Just wanted to give people more options.

Also, for those who receive badges: you have the option of featuring them on your postbit (the profile area next to your posts) or not. If you happen to earn a bunch, you can pick and choose which badges to feature. More non-challenge badges are coming soon!

It was incredibly slow! You have to be very deliberate because you can only attack with the whip and getting hit takes away your upgrades. It's also incredibly short, at only four levels. Given that, I didn't hate it and for game boy I think it was "fine." Closer in quality to super mario land than super mario land 2, if that makes sense. I think that it also helps I played it in the Castlevania Collection so I could use save states instead of having to use continues when I ran out of lives. I particularly enjoyed the third level, which has a few variations on "walls of doom," but the level was extremely long and punishing. I imagine if played as created it would be extremely frustrating given the stiff controls. Putting a save state at each separate "section" made it more enjoyable.

It may have been an advantage that I don't have much experience with the series, as I checked TVtropes after I beat it, and read how the speed was sooo much worse than other games, but I didn't really know it was much different than the little I played on NES. I think not having sub weapons takes a lot of the interesting play styles out of it, and since they aren't there you basically just want to whip all the candles so you can hope for hearts (which heal you in this game). Overall, it feels more like a high quality proof of concept game.

Ahhh, I'm slow to the uptick and didn't realize that was your challenge submission! 😅 Sorry about that. I'll get it awarded to you shortly.

Haha no worries! It's just that I saw Bulletbill10 got his and his submission was posted later in the thread that got me worried that I did something wrong with my submission 😅. Thanks! I'll make it a little more clear with my next submission.

And it does show up even with my banner! This is really cool.

Oh, so that's how they're going to be displayed. Might be too late to suggest thing, but perhaps small icons would work better than an assortment of random images.

It was incredibly slow! You have to be very deliberate because you can only attack with the whip and getting hit takes away your upgrades. It's also incredibly short, at only four levels. Given that, I didn't hate it and for game boy I think it was "fine." Closer in quality to super mario land than super mario land 2, if that makes sense. I think that it also helps I played it in the Castlevania Collection so I could use save states instead of having to use continues when I ran out of lives. I particularly enjoyed the third level, which has a few variations on "walls of doom," but the level was extremely long and punishing. I imagine if played as created it would be extremely frustrating given the stiff controls. Putting a save state at each separate "section" made it more enjoyable.

It may have been an advantage that I don't have much experience with the series, as I checked TVtropes after I beat it, and read how the speed was sooo much worse than other games, but I didn't really know it was much different than the little I played on NES. I think not having sub weapons takes a lot of the interesting play styles out of it, and since they aren't there you basically just want to whip all the candles so you can hope for hearts (which heal you in this game). Overall, it feels more like a high quality proof of concept game.
Oh thank you for such a detailed review! I might give it another chance someday, but yeah playing it after Castlevania I, III, IV, Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night (which is very different) maybe wasn't the best idea lol
Also I'm the kind of player who cannot use save states since I wanted to play the game the way it was intended to (or at least the closest way), but I do not have problem with others using them, as long as it makes the game more enjoyable for them. But it will be even more frustrating to me ahahah

I heard the second GB Castlevania game was pretty good, you might check it out if you had a good experience with The Adventure!

Well I suppose I'm lucky that I'm playing through the whole Castlevania series this month lol.

I'm doing Bloodlines right now, so I'll post the screen when I beat it.

Oh, so that's how they're going to be displayed. Might be too late to suggest thing, but perhaps small icons would work better than an assortment of random images.

I agree. A uniform style might work better. Maybe the same lineart style as the forum icons. Of course someone would need to make them (I could help, if needed) but it'd look more clean than badges where one is cut out, one is a square image, one has a white border etc.

Also is there a limit on how many badges can be displayed below the avatar? I feel like a selection of 5 favorites or something might work better than all of them, when people start to collect more and more badges over the years. They can all be seen on the profiles anyway.

As I'm a bit short on time I researched now for short horror games. In my backlog I still have untold stories and layers of fear. And on sale I found now paratopic which looks incredible weird. As it's on sale I think I will try it the next days.

I agree. A uniform style might work better. Maybe the same lineart style as the forum icons. Of course someone would need to make them (I could help, if needed) but it'd look more clean than badges where one is cut out, one is a square image, one has a white border etc.

Also is there a limit on how many badges can be displayed below the avatar? I feel like a selection of 5 favorites or something might work better than all of them, when people start to collect more and more badges over the years. They can all be seen on the profiles anyway.
At the moment, I believe five is the limit.

In any case, yes, I would love to see a more visually appealing/coherent badge style! I whipped this up because it's what I had at the moment and wanted to get the event underway before the end of October. 😅 Thankfully there is a limit to the size (they won't get any bigger than they already are, auto resizing and all) but I would also prefer more appealing badge images. In the future, this shouldn't be a problem (I made a thread where you can submit ideas/suggestions/badge designs just now) since ideally the idea of the challenge & the design of the badge will go hand in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom