• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Bayonetta 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how the Jeanne segment is integrated in the game. Is it’s own chapter? is it split up in multiple regular chapters? Side mode?

Well we have our answer now 😳

There are multiple parts but posting them all would make this an huge post (especially since twitter is stacking the parts with other parts sorta out of order) so ill spoiler tag the rest. It gets more intense:
Part 2:

Part 3:

Yeah pretty disgusting on part of NIntendo/Platinum. And Platinum's response why she wasn't available was complete BS. They should be held accountable.

Last edited:
That is completely insane but I'm also frankly very confused because I doubt that Jennifer Hale of all people would be fine with accepting such an extreme lowball offer. They still went union for everyone, did Platinum/Nintendo really think she was worth so little? And then why pay someone else (presumably) more? This game is still all union VAs to my knowledge (Yuri Lowenthal and all other characters are back). Are they just used to it/get more work so they're fine accepting crummy pay per job?

Well we have our answer now 😳

There are multiple parts but posting them all would make this an huge post (especially since twitter is stacking the parts with other parts sorta out of order) so ill spoiler tag the rest. It gets more intense:
Part 2:

Part 3:

You know what? Maybe i'll play the game with the japanese dub.

This and the whole "We're still looking forward to do live-service games" is fucking sinking Platinum for me.

Remember that cutscene in Wonderful 101 where a shiny PlaninumGames logo gets destroyed by lava, loses its shine and crumbles? Yeah just thinking about it for no reason

That is completely insane but I'm also frankly very confused because I doubt that Jennifer Hale of all people would be fine with accepting such an extreme lowball offer. They still went union for everyone, did Platinum/Nintendo really think she was worth so little? And then why pay someone else (presumably) more? This game is still all union VAs to my knowledge (Yuri Lowenthal and all other characters are back). Are they just used to it/get more work so they're fine accepting crummy pay per job?
No shot Hale took the job for that paltry amount of money. This feels like some weird roundabout way of cutting ties with someone to me but maybe they're actually just that greedy.

I always play with japanese dub 🤷‍♂️
weeb high five!
qKOaReR.gif

Platinum kind of needs this game to be a win, so I'm not really sure why they would do stupid shit like this. Who is calling the shots over there?

This Is terrible but not surprising, tbh.

VA Is a dreadful profession, with a lot of work and very Little compensation. I recall that the italian VA for Aragorn claimed years ago that he earned Just 10000k euros for all the LOTR Trilogy plus the videogame.

I don't think that boycott the game Is the solution, hundreds of people (and I'm talking about workers, not corporate people) poured years of hard work in this, and if the game flops they Will be the First and Only to pay for It.

But of course try to enlight people about how VA works Is the right thing to do; talk to the press, make a buzzword about It, try to unionize and get a Fair and well deserved compensation. I Hope things Will go well for her

And many of us were speculating there would be a revelation in the game with the appearance of "the real Bayonetta" or something to that effect LMAO

Turns out it was just a Mr. Krabs moment. What a mess.

And many of us were speculating there would be a revelation in the game with the appearance of "the real Bayonetta" or something to that effect LMAO

Turns out it was just a Mr. Krabs moment. What a mess.
Basically just Metal Gear Solid 5 cope all over again.

Cool. Thank you capitalism for ruining one more thing I was looking forward to.

And many of us were speculating there would be a revelation in the game with the appearance of "the real Bayonetta"
Instead it was just a revelation on twitter with the appearance of the real Bayonetta 😅

I'm really not sure capitalism is the answer here. They didn't replace Hellena Taylor with a lower cost Voice Actress. They replaced her with Jennifer Hale, who is not an cheap actress in any way. There is no reason to doubt Hellena Taylor's story but it sounds more like for some reason they wanted her to not accept the offer? This is a very strange situation all in all, since Bayonetta is full of Union actors

I'm really not sure capitalism is the answer here. They didn't replace Hellena Taylor with a lower cost Voice Actress. They replaced her with Jennifer Hale, who is not an cheap actress in any way. There is no reason to doubt Hellena Taylor's story but it sounds more like for some reason they wanted her to not accept the offer? This is a very strange situation all in all, since Bayonetta is full of Union actors
Or they felt entitled, thinking that she's not a popular actress and would accept anything. After that didn't go through, they felt the backlash and spent more on a more popular name. It's impossible to know what happened, but I'd still count "internal fuckery" as capitalism, considering this happens a LOT in VA industry. Unless she called Kamiya a moron on twitter or something.
There's really no way to understand what happened unless someone from Platinum comes clean, but nonetheless this leaves a bad taste in my mouth which probably means I won't buy the game I've been looking forward to for years now.

That offer is simply insulting and fuck the people who were in charge of making it. If they didn't want her they could have told her that with some basic decency.

This Is terrible but not surprising, tbh.

VA Is a dreadful profession, with a lot of work and very Little compensation. I recall that the italian VA for Aragorn claimed years ago that he earned Just 10000k euros for all the LOTR Trilogy plus the videogame.

I don't think that boycott the game Is the solution, hundreds of people (and I'm talking about workers, not corporate people) poured years of hard work in this, and if the game flops they Will be the First and Only to pay for It.

But of course try to enlight people about how VA works Is the right thing to do; talk to the press, make a buzzword about It, try to unionize and get a Fair and well deserved compensation. I Hope things Will go well for her
The other big issues that I don’t think boycotting the game is the solution. You just came out publicly after breaking an NDA & called for a public boycott. I’m gonna go ahead & say that is not the best thing to do.

They should have just said to Hellena that they wanted to recast.

It would have sucked, but at least they wouldn't have gone for this stupid approach.

Or they felt entitled, thinking that she's not a popular actress and would accept anything. After that didn't go through, they felt the backlash and spent more on a more popular name. It's impossible to know what happened, but I'd still count "internal fuckery" as capitalism, considering this happens a LOT in VA industry. Unless she called Kamiya a moron on twitter or something.
There's really no way to understand what happened unless someone from Platinum comes clean, but nonetheless this leaves a bad taste in my mouth which probably means I won't buy the game I've been looking forward to for years now.
Still sounds weird. Jennifer Hale was casted before the first trailer, as far as we know, right? So before any backlash. it just feels weird to not go for a cheaper VA if they do't want Hellena Taylor because she want's more money (which she has any right to). This sounds way more like they wanted a recasting of Bayonetta for some reason and offered Hellena Taylor a low payment so they don't have to fire her directly. Still a shitty move, but there are so many things which doesn't sound like "They want it cheap".

Goodbye bayonetta franchise

At the risk of sounding dismissive, the life or death of this franchise has exceedingly little to do with Taylor.

That it's even reached a third installment is due to a publisher (Nintendo in this case) seeing it as a worthwhile investment.

I’m making a huge assumption here but to me it sounds like she might have had some kind of first offer/right to refusal clause in her prior contract for Bayonetta 2. Maybe they were legally obligated to offer her the role for the sequel. For some reason or another they decided to not work with her anymore. They give her a comically lowball offer that she rejects, which legally allows them to go after someone they actually want.

Again, this is pure speculation. But it’s not outside the realm of possibility. Still a pretty scummy move.

On that note, even more of a reason to unionize. British VA’s are going to continue to get shafted if they don’t unionize.

Edit: Removing my original post because it was kind of a drive-by post about a complicated issue that I didn't and still don't know much about. I apologize.

Last edited:
The other big issues that I don’t think boycotting the game is the solution. You just came out publicly after breaking an NDA & called for a public boycott. I’m gonna go ahead & say that is not the best thing to do.
Yeah, totally.

Boycotting the game until Is a commercial flop Will affect the Life and career of a lot of workers, so I don't think is an ethical way ti handle the thing. But as I said, Is Good that Hellena Is vocal about how VA are overall treated.

I’m making a huge assumption here but to me it sounds like she might have had some kind of first offer/right to refusal clause in her prior contract for Bayonetta 2. Maybe they were legally obligated to offer her the role for the sequel. For some reason or another they decided to not work with her anymore. They give her a comically lowball offer that she rejects, which legally allows them to go after someone they actually want.

Again, this is pure speculation. But it’s not outside the realm of possibility. Still a pretty scummy move.

On that note, even more of a reason to unionize. British VA’s are going to continue to get shafted if they don’t unionize.
Yeah, that's my reading of the situation too, given Jennifer Hale is in no way the cheaper option.

Both VAs are union. Had nothing to do with that:

So they openly lied to us of the reasons why Miss Taylor wouldn't come back,
offered her a disgustinly low amount AFTER she wrote with Kamiya all while
Nintendo makes money only seen during the Wii/DS era.

What a fucking farce. But hey, Nintendo doges paying voice actors properly
for a long time now. They never signed the agreement with SAG/AFTRA, that
got signed by companies like EA, Activison and Take2

(last page) https://www.sagaftra.org/files/2017SAG-AFTRAIMAMOAwSchA_final.pdf

Both VAs are union. Had nothing to do with that:

Right to refusal is a pretty common contract clause, especially for roles that you likely want to get casted in again.

Are both actors in the same union? Because that’s another potential issue.

I'm smelling good old Japanese corporatism 'well we didn't fire you, you just chose to quit (because the pay was so shit)'.

No way Nintendo doesn't make some kind of statement after this. Now that Kamiya made a comment, even as vague as this one, the scandal is just going to escalate from here.

This is kinda big isn't it, maybe a seperate thread would do it more justice?

I don't like to be quick of judgement but I feel pretty disgusted by this as of now, very curious how this story will develop further.

Very possible they’re talking about saying goodbye to the franchise personally.

“This vague subtweet is all I can say.” God this is tiring. A crumb of transparency, I beg.
Well, maybe Kamiya knows that you shouldn’t break NDAs, unlike miss Taylor over there.

But he should’ve said nothing for now, instead of being vague

Doing something on the weekend is a smart way to get companies to get out of bed and figure something out otherwise it lingers for a bit. Sometimes never really going away.

Tho. Nintendo can just ignore it. I doubt it since Kamiya posted on his Twitter

I am I reading this correctly? The rates outlined in this document seem really low. Much lower than even $4000 offered to Hellena Taylor.

This is Platinum. Not Nintendo. Platinum games isn't owned by Nintendo.

Is it just me or is Kamiya implying that Hellena is lying?

The onus is on Platinum/Nintendo to show receipts right now, imo. Which of course since Nintendo is so secretive especially around stuff like this may never happen. But if Kamiya is going to make that claim he absolutely needs to back it up.

No way Nintendo doesn't make some kind of statement after this. Now that Kamiya made a comment, even as vague as this one, the scandal is just going to escalate from here.
What kind of statement do you expect them to make? At this point this is between Platinum & Hellena unless the situation changes.
The onus is on Platinum/Nintendo to show receipts right now, imo. Which of course since Nintendo is so secretive especially around stuff like this may never happen. But if Kamiya is going to make that claim he absolutely needs to back it up.
More like the onus is on Platinum.

Well, I didn't plan on getting Bayo 3 on day 1 anyway (have the first game on Steam and the second game on Wii U), but this makes it easier to wait for cheap sale or secondhand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom