• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Batman Arkham Trilogy coming to Nintendo Switch on December 1st (out now!)

I'm more surprised they ported Knight over Origins. Almost no one played Origins and that was the only game out of the four I finished lol
welp here we are. finished Arkham Knight about two days ago. I didn't mind the Batmobile stuff. Fuck Riddler though LOL. only Asylum and City to go. Might grab both on Switch now hope performance is great on handheld

It would be funny if people bought and download it and it didn't work until December.
According to the author of the tweet you linked, it seems that the game was finally delayed to December as in the other regions. It was expected, but was also hoping to be able to check how the ports run. One more month away then.

According to the author of the tweet you linked, it seems that the game was finally delayed to December as in the other regions. It was expected, but was also hoping to be able to check how the ports run. One more month away then.
They delay the game at the last moment xd

It seems that epic has messed up and has mistakenly uploaded a patch that was in beta, which has the skin from the movie The Batman among the files.

It's probably a new extra for the Switch re-release, which will be available elsewhere.

It seems that epic has messed up and has mistakenly uploaded a patch that was in beta, which has the skin from the movie The Batman among the files.

It's probably a new extra for the Switch re-release, which will be available elsewhere.

Damn I really hope this makes it into the Switch version! This is awesome!

I even said to my friends last year - if Arkham ever came to Switch I hoped they’d add this skin as a purchase incentive like other late ports like Automata have done. But then they didn’t mention anything about new skins…

But here we are! And for all platforms to boot, even better

Damn I really hope this makes it into the Switch version! This is awesome!

I even said to my friends last year - if Arkham ever came to Switch I hoped they’d add this skin as a purchase incentive like other late ports like Automata have done. But then they didn’t mention anything about new skins…

But here we are! And for all platforms to boot, even better
The only current sense of updating this game by adding skins is because they are new content from the switch port

If they also launch it in the others, that extra that everyone wins.

The only current sense of updating this game by adding skins is because they are new content from the switch port

If they also launch it in the others, that extra that everyone wins.
True, unless they are prepping an RTX remaster behind the scenes as some believe. (Although even in that case yeah they wouldn’t be putting out a separate patch ahead of time just for this skin)

If all 3 games and DLC are on the cart, that must mean it's bigger than 16gb. I wonder if that was ever a consideration in waiting so long to port this series.

this is my question, how much is actually on the cart... for me it's the difference between a purchase, and just maybe buying on PC someday maybe for cheap...

I will spend an extra $10-20 for a big cart that includes everything if needs be!

also:

Nobody talks about the combat for these games. How is it? Am I just mashing an attack button and a three hit combo happens automatically, or is there some depth? Not necessarily a deal breaker

TY in advance... I want to play a Batman game, and would love to reward all the effort that went into this port... but I have foybles lol.

Nobody talks about the combat for these games. How is it? Am I just mashing an attack button and a three hit combo happens automatically, or is there some depth? Not necessarily a deal breaker
It is rhythm based, combos are either double tapping a button or button combo. Combos are based on how well you can keep attacks going along with counters.

TY in advance... I want to play a Batman game, and would love to reward all the effort that went into this port... but I have foybles lol.
This explanation isn't really good, but I'll pair it up a link to the gameplay.

So basically, you got an attack, a counter, a dodge, and a stun. You jump enemy to enemy while attacking to build up a combo, you are rewarded for timing presses though just mashing attack works too if you're not good at it, and a higher combo lets you do different things. Use can spend the combo meter on instant take down on an enemies, mass-stuns, mass-KOs for enemies already stunned, etc. You can also use your gadgets like the grappling hook, electricity gun, explosive gel, etc to extend combos and hit enemies with status effects. During all this, you gotta make sure to watch out for other enemies attacking you which you need to counter appropriately or you'll lose your combo. There's different counters and stuns for different weapon types and enemy size so it's not a 1 size fits all solution, plus you can also just use the gadgets in creative ways to break their weapons and defense instead of using the ways those enemies are typically defeated. Also there's environmental hazards you can use to your advantage.

Take a look at this video, very mild spoilers, if any imo. My explanation says what it is, but it'll make more sense after you see it in action. Note this is from Arkham Knight and on the difficulty where you cannot see the prompts for enemies' attacks. So if you think this game is way too fast and not telegraphed enough, this dude is just cracked at the game and doesn't need the button prompts.

Need them to add 4K and 60FPS support to the PS4 version, the image quality of the PS4 version looks like fucking shit on my 4k tv lol

Also release the Adam We skin for everyone

cool beans... i might have to pick this up then... how does Asylum compare to the other two... i tend to ignore the download games (like re5/6).. i'm weird
It's the weakest of the 3 but it's still really good. It's a 2009 video game. There's some jank, controls aren't super smooth, but it's a good experience. City builds off of it in insane ways, adding so many tools for Batman whether it be in combat, stealth, or traversal. Then Knight continues to build and it's insane. That game feels like it came out yesterday in a lot of way still. If you play asylum, you're going to want to play the rest lol.

cool beans... i might have to pick this up then... how does Asylum compare to the other two... i tend to ignore the download games (like re5/6).. i'm weird
The dowloads for city and knight are patchs, no dowload codes. Like the MGS collection, the bioshock collection or the Assassins Creed Ezio Collection.

I would disagree with the other response to this and say that Asylum is actually the best. It's a tight, focused 3D Metroidvania. The others add a bunch of unnecessary open world bloat for no reason -- still great games though.

I would disagree with the other response to this and say that Asylum is actually the best. It's a tight, focused 3D Metroidvania. The others add a bunch of unnecessary open world bloat for no reason -- still great games though.

I agree: Asylum is the best experience

They are definitely putting much work and love into these ports. Even if I didn´t like a lot these suits, it´s of course a very welcomed addition. But will they add also it to Arkham City on PS4/Xbox? Because that is a whole different game technically speaking.
Probably not

They are definitely putting much work and love into these ports. Even if I didn´t like a lot these suits, it´s of course a very welcomed addition. But will they add also it to Arkham City on PS4/Xbox? Because that is a whole different game technically speaking.
Those versions are considered feature complete and aren't getting any additional updates, sadly. I would love to see One X and Series S/X and PS5 improvements.

I agree, I don't think they will do. The Asylum and City versions of this Trilogy are surely shaping up to be the definitive versions of these games on console.
I hope Arkham Asylum gets the fanmade New Game Minus, that speedrunners use to beat the game. The versions the Switch is getting is the Windows PC version, by the looks of it.

Amazing. So it is reconfirmed we are getting the original versions of Asylum and City, also City getting all the Wii U exclusives. And apparently at solid 30 FPS. They really cared about the games, seems like it's an amazing work. Regarding Knight, just what expected, resolution and texture downgrade, but he says with no FPS drops. Although it was a prerelease version from before the delay, so maybe things will be improved. We'll see at launch, but this is boding quite well.

I understand the games are cheaper on the other systems, but this trilogy with all the extra content (even content not released on these platforms) and the love they seem to be putting on it, has an insane value for its price.

Amazing. So it is reconfirmed we are getting the original versions of Asylum and City, also City getting all the Wii U exclusives. And apparently at solid 30 FPS. They really cared about the games, seems like it's an amazing work. Regarding Knight, just what expected, resolution and texture downgrade, but he says with no FPS drops. Although it was a prerelease version from before the delay, so maybe things will be improved. We'll see at launch, but this is boding quite well.

I understand the games are cheaper on the other systems, but this trilogy with all the extra content (even content not released on these platforms) and the love they seem to be putting on it, has an insane value for its price.

Yup, very much looking forward to next month if these impressions are any indication. I'd still have loved all three in the cart but I fully understand why they didn't go that route.

Yup, very much looking forward to next month if these impressions are any indication. I'd still have loved all three in the cart but I fully understand why they didn't go that route.
64 GB cart would be needed, they might be able to get away with Asylum and City on a 16GB cart, but a 32GB cart would still leave some data off on the cart.

Been looking forward to this one for a very long time. I first played Batman Arkham City and Origins on my Wii U, both games ran with frequent framerate drops on Wii U. I played Asylum on my PC, and honestly I really liked the pacing in Asylum the most. It is a bit shorter, but I am 39 years old now and there are times I just want a short but sweet experience. I also played Arkham Knight on my PC, and I know that most people seem to like City better, but the Joker stuff is really entertaining in Arkham Knight. In the end, I expect Asylum and City to look and run great on Switch, with Arkham Knight being noticeably compromised. I will be interested to see if they implemented some sort of image reconstruction techniques, because this game is essentially in the same boat as the Witcher 3. A 30fps PS4 game, and that sort of conversion is no easy task. It might be a jarring experience to go from a great looking Arkham City to a blurry Arkham Knight. Reagardless, I am buying it for Aylum and City, so even if Knight is too compromised to enjoy, I will still be a happy camper.

Really hope Asylum and City are 1080p.

Wish they could give us a resolution/performance mode option for Knight. Resolution is 1080p, drops goodness knows how low, and performance mode is 30fps 😅 Just a little near future proofing…

Also, I really wish Arkham Knight had the ability to change your Batsuit mid-game. It's just too unwieldy to go back to the main menu, change your suit once, and then load back in, particularly in a game with load times like that one had on last gen.

At least on Xbox One the game always kicked me back to the menu when I woke the console from sleep mode so I had opportunities then. But with Switch's suspend I'll rarely be back on that menu.

64 GB cart would be needed, they might be able to get away with Asylum and City on a 16GB cart, but a 32GB cart would still leave some data off on the cart.

I'm probably going to suggest the impossible... but it is a 'collection'... why not sell them seperately on small carts for $39, as well as a multi-cart collection SKU?

Include a box for the collection SKU that fits all three game cases... throw some batman art on it. Watch gamers go apeshit.

I feel like there's ways to get around these cart restrictions. Required download is such a lazy solution. It's a shame to watch developers put in so much effort, only to fall on their face at the finish line.

You don't gotta shit the bed.

Ready to see some gameplay of knight. I haven’t played it yet. Watched my son play through it a bit on Series X.

In anticipation of the Trilogy, I have been looking at the body of work Turn Me Up games has accomplished on Switch, and it's impressive. The Borderlands collection runs at 1080p and a very consistent 30fps framerate and includes many of the enhancements from the Handsome Collection on Ps4/X1. They also ported Tony Hawk Pro Skater to Switch at 1080p rock solid 30fps.

The Borderland games and the Arkham games were all originally developed on Unreal Engine 3, an engine that doesn't natively support Switch, but thanks to their excellent work on the Borderlands games that also use UE3, I am very optimistic the results with the Arkham Trilogy will be more of the same.

Arkham Asylum and Arkham City will likely run at 1080p with a rock solid 30fps framerate and most likely use the high res textures from the PC builds of these games. Basically definitive versions of both games. Arkham Knight is more of a wild card. It renders slightly below native 1080p on Xbox One, 1600x1080 to be precise, and does drop frames during Batmobile sections. How Turn Me Up Games handles this conversion will be the most interesting. I'm guessing it will be a 720p docked experience and 540p portable, likely exhibiting similar framerate drops during Batmobile segments.

Overall, I think this will be considered one of the best collections ported to Switch, and Arkham Knight will be one of, if not the final impossible port to Swich.

Knight could very well be another “impossible” port situation where it punches above its weight despite the cutbacks. But when Switch has had a multitude of impossible ports, it’s begins to lose its luster over time.

Back
Top Bottom