• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Bandai Namco Studios is developing a 3D action game for a Nintendo contracted project (probably a remaster/remake?)

So I suppose to list them by the likelihood rating;
1. Star Fox Assault 80%
2. Custom Robo 75%
3. Chibi Robo 70%
4. Eternal Darkness 70%
5. Kirby Air Ride 65%
6. Doshin the Giant 60%

I also think Captain Rainbow is possible. it fits the bill of action-adventure game with weird stylisation published by Nintendo.
Why no Kid Icarus: Uprising? A common consensus seems to be that there’s a pretty good chance that it’s that. Would make a lot of sense, being a highly regarded game that many people have been wanting a console port of for years now, and with it being a Sakurai game it wouldn’t be huge surprise if Bandai Namco were the ones handling it, given their work on Smash.

Why no Kid Icarus: Uprising? A common consensus seems to be that there’s a pretty good chance that it’s that. Would make a lot of sense, being a highly regarded game that many people have been wanting a console port of for years now, and with it being a Sakurai game it wouldn’t be huge surprise if Bandai Namco were the ones handling it, given their work on Smash.
Yeah I think that's possible too, for sure. Thank you for sharing.

In my head, I just imagined that being a separate project by Sakurai, unrelated to this Nintendo remaster.
Especially with the art style description we had.

That's not published by Nintendo. The hirings said Nintendo commissioned it : )
Possibly, but I don't think Nintendo commissioning something necessarily means they are publishing. That could simply refer to the concept of a deal for an exclusive, which is probably what is happening with BK. We are also relying on a machine translation here which may not be providing the proper interpretation of the job listings.

One of these job listings has been there since Sep/Oct 2021 and they're both still up, despite Baten Kaitos releasing in a few months. The remaster is also being outsourced to another company.

I'm still 50/50. I guess we'll have to wait until Baten Kaitos comes out to be certain.

One of these job listings has been there since Sep/Oct 2021 and they're both still up, despite Baten Kaitos releasing in a few months. The remaster is also being outsourced to another company.

I think this is all enough to make it an open and shut case for Baten Kaitos; that and the genre not being particularly accurate as well. Doesn't line up with these listings in any regard.

“Those who are good at producing a deformed world view”

That really sounds like Captain Rainbow when I read it lol

Oh man I’d love that game. It actually never released outside Japan on Wii.

So I suppose to list them by the likelihood rating;
1. Star Fox Assault 80%
2. Custom Robo 75%
3. Chibi Robo 70%
4. Eternal Darkness 70%
5. Kirby Air Ride 65%
6. Doshin the Giant 60%

I also think Captain Rainbow is possible. it fits the bill of action-adventure game with weird stylisation published by Nintendo.
Star Fox is the only likely one on your list. If you moved the decimal mark a space to the left you would still be overestimating the likelihood for most of these games.

Yeah, I don't think any game is more likely than Kid Icarus Uprising.

If it's not that, I think Star Fox Assault would be the only other possible candidate, if Nintendo really wants to have an entry in that series and really wants to fill gaps with remasters late on the Switch's life.

its prime 2 and 3 MARK MY WORDSSSSS
Can be that too... If they wanted Bamco to make something with the leftovers of the cancelled Prime 4, or just thought the team was great on development pace and technology, just wasn't up for the task of making a new game in the series but remastering old games would be okay while Retro was already with 1 and given 4.

Bamco is a great partner of Nintendo, with them making assets for Mario Kart 8 and other important games and being the development team of Smash, Nintendo giving them the task of remastering Prime 2 and 3 wouldn't be something really hard to happen.

The wording on the recruitment page implies the game is done by the own engine of Bandai Namco. Incorporing data into the in-house game engine

So if it’s a pure remaster, it really narrows down to either Kid Icarus or Star Fox Assult, as those games were made by Namco engines, not Nintendo.

This is why I’m also ruling out Metroid.

That said, if it’s a remake ( brand new engine) it could be any game, even Captain Rainbow : P

The wording on the recruitment page implies the game is done by the own engine of Bandai Namco. Incorporing data into the in-house game engine

So if it’s a pure remaster, it really narrows down to either Kid Icarus or Star Fox Assult, as those games were made by Namco engines, not Nintendo.

This is why I’m also ruling out Metroid.

That said, if it’s a remake ( brand new engine) it could be any game, even Captain Rainbow : P
Are we sure that’s not just translation jank? For all we know, it just means “this game doesn’t use an off-the-shelf engine (e.g. Unity, Unreal, Crytek)”. I don’t think it necessarily implies the game will use a Bamco engine.

At any rate, it’s possible they ported a 3D game into a Bamco in-house engine, which would technically be less of a pure remaster but isn’t unknown. IIRC XenoblaDE was that type of situation (they ported it to the X/2/3 engine) and most people consider that a remaster rather than a proper remake. I think Metroid Prime Remastered might have been the same situation, but I’m not sure.

Last edited:
IMO between Kid Icarus and Star Fox, I think Nintendo’s more interested in Star Fox. Kid Icarus doesn’t feel like it has anyone sticking up for it at Nintendo (no, Sakurai does NOT count), whereas we all know Star Fox is one of Miyamoto’s babies. He’s busy with Pikmin, I’d imagine, but we know he can do multiple projects at once and there’s nothing saying he isn’t producing a Star Fox remaster.

Judging by the “deformed” comment, I’d imagine it’s a stylized game, so that puts Metroid and F-Zero in doubt (not that F-Zero was that strong a fit for the ”3D action game” bit, but w/e). At the same time, I don’t think we can rule them out entirely (after all, I wouldn’t exactly call either game photorealistic). Smash is probably also out of the question, since Nintendo likely considers that a “2D game”, but God only knows. Hell, for all we know Nintendo went “you know what [REDACTED] needs? Pikmin 4 Nintendo GameCube” and commissioned a Pikmin 1 or 2 remaster or something.

Bandai Namco doesn't even have an in-house engine anymore aside from some low budget holdovers. They transitioned to ue4/5 and are building up a new multiplatform engine.

That said, it could be moving to their internal ue4/5 build

Bandai Namco wasn’t involved with Kid Icarus: Uprising; that was all Project Sora. And really, there’s no way a simple port of Kid Icarus: Uprising would work, anyway, so to bring it to Switch it’ll pretty much have to be a remake in some sense regardless.

IMO between Kid Icarus and Star Fox, I think Nintendo’s more interested in Star Fox. Kid Icarus doesn’t feel like it has anyone sticking up for it at Nintendo (no, Sakurai does NOT count), whereas we all know Star Fox is one of Miyamoto’s babies.
It’s for this reason that I see Star Fox as more likely to get a new game rather than a remake/remaster. Star Fox Assault doesn’t strike me as the type of game that Nintendo would go out of their way to have remade or remastered, especially when it can just be thrown onto GCN NSO as is whenever we inevitably get that in some form with future hardware.

But Kid Icarus: Uprising is in a much more difficult position—it’s never gonna escape the 3DS unless it’s remade for a new system. And it’s not like we’re gonna get a new Kid Icarus game anytime soon, either, so remaking Uprising—a fan favorite game held with much regard that could benefit hugely from being brought to new hardware—is kind of the only path for that series right now.

I’m sure the clamoring for a console version of the game hasn’t gone unnoticed by Nintendo, and you’d think someone at the company would see the value in bringing the game to Switch, especially with how many resources they poured into the original game that can be salvaged.

Are we sure that’s not just translation jank? For all we know, it just means “this game doesn’t use an off-the-shelf engine (e.g. Unity, Unreal, Crytek)”. I don’t think it necessarily implies the game will use a Bamco engine.

At any rate, it’s possible they ported a 3D game into a Bamco in-house engine, which would technically be less of a pure remaster but isn’t unknown. IIRC XenoblaDE was that type of situation (they ported it to the X/2/3 engine) and most people consider that a remaster rather than a proper remake. I think Metroid Prime Remastered might have been the same situation, but I’m not sure.
Yeah that’s a really great point, thank you for noting!

I appreciate the discussion, but was there a reason to bump this thread after 10 months? Just to renew speculation?

It's a fine enough reason, it's just unusual to see such an old bump without actual news.

As much as I would love for it to be Star Fox Assault (which would really benefit from a remaster or remake), it's very likely to be Kid Icarus since Bamco works with Sakurai a lot, and he even smirked and teased about it a Kid Icarus remaster on his youtube channel.

Though, I seem to remember there being some confusion if it was one game or two games that the job listings were for. Maybe we'll get the best of both worlds and both games are getting the remaster treatment.

As much as I would love for it to be Star Fox Assault (which would really benefit from a remaster or remake), it's very likely to be Kid Icarus since Bamco works with Sakurai a lot, and he even smirked and teased about it a Kid Icarus remaster on his youtube channel.

Though, I seem to remember there being some confusion if it was one game or two games that the job listings were for. Maybe we'll get the best of both worlds and both games are getting the remaster treatment.
Yeah I do believe there’s a decent chance Kid Icarus remake is a completely separate unrelated project by Sakurai, from this Nintendo remaster.

Truthfully I thought the bump was to confirm if BK was the mystery game haha.

Still doesn't seem firmly conclusive though, I wonder if we'll find out even before BK comes out

I appreciate the discussion, but was there a reason to bump this thread after 10 months? Just to renew speculation?

It's a fine enough reason, it's just unusual to see such an old bump without actual news.
Because some people wondered if this was at all related to the Baten Kaitos remasters.

Why would Bandai Namco remaster Metroid Prime 2&3?
If the reports of Metroid Prime 4 getting passed from them to Retro are true, then I have hard time thinking they would have the expertise for Metroid Prime 2 & 3 Remasters.

Does Banda Namco have a FPS division??

Yeah, I don't think any game is more likely than Kid Icarus Uprising.
I too am inclined to think this, given SORA's ties with Namco Bandai development (Smash Bros. Ultimate), and likely this being one of Sakurai's pet projects.

Deformed, you say?

What about a remaster of Federation Force?

No, wait! I have a better one that's actually a serious suggestion which I'd love to see:
It's 3D, it's action, it's deformed, and Bandai Namco are more than capable of doing it justice:

Battalion Wars 1 and/or 2

If they give it proper online it could be an excellent game to play!
Out of these 3 posts (this, the next post and the previous post) this is the game I want to happen the most.

Another suggestion which is less likely because it's not a Nintendo property: it's 3D and action and deformed
Viewtiful Joe
. But then you could also suggest
Custom Robo
or even
Wii Sports Resort
, among others.

Another suggestion which is less likely because it's not a Nintendo property: it's 3D and action and deformed
Viewtiful Joe
. But then you could also suggest
Custom Robo
or even
Wii Sports Resort
, among others.
I'm a simple man; I see someone promote Custom Robo in a positive light, I Yeah! it.

IMG_4217.png
I think I found it. This is SD Gundam Gashapon Wars. 3D Action game with
デフォルメ art style.

It was co-developed by Nintendo & Bandai Namco.

Yeah I do believe there’s a decent chance Kid Icarus remake is a completely separate unrelated project by Sakurai, from this Nintendo remaster.
Not that I'm doubting you, but I'm just curious why you think that.
Give me hope lol
IMG_4217.png
I think I found it. This is SD Gundam Gashapon Wars. 3D Action game with
デフォルメ art style.

It was co-developed by Nintendo & Bandai Namco.
Oof. Yeah, watch it be this. I mean, Gundam fans will be thrilled, and a brief google search shows it's a well-received game (and already had a Wii re-release), but not gonna lie this would be disappointing instead of a Nintendo first party IP.

Not that I'm doubting you, but I'm just curious why you think that.
Give me hope lol

Oof. Yeah, watch it be this. I mean, Gundam fans will be thrilled, and a brief google search shows it's a well-received game (and already had a Wii re-release), but not gonna lie this would be disappointing instead of a Nintendo first party IP.
Yep I agree with you, great points!

I hope Nintendo fans will still give it a fair chance. The title never released outside Japan before, so it’s always exciting when previously JP exclusive games get worldwide releases thanks to remasters : )

A comprehensive list of what I hope this mystery game is (in order):
1) Kid Icarus Uprising (please Palutena and Lord Sakurai bless me with this gift from the Gods)
2) Last Story (doesn’t make sense but I want and Mistwalker is definitely not doing it anytime soon)
3) Battalion Wars
4) C____ Robo (Custom or Chibi or both)
5) Frog For Whom The Bell Tolls

Back
Top Bottom