• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Bandai Namco Studios is developing a 3D action game for a Nintendo contracted project (probably a remaster/remake?)

IMG_4217.png
I think I found it. This is SD Gundam Gashapon Wars. 3D Action game with
デフォルメ art style.

It was co-developed by Nintendo & Bandai Namco.
Ahhhh, this takes me back to my hardcore importing days.

Fun little game. I'd sincerely hope that if it was an expanded remake or whatever, it'd have quite a bit more from where Gundam was back in '04/05, though.

IMG_4217.png
デフォルメ art style.

Nintendo was involved in the development, but they don't own or even co-own the game. It's a LEGO City Undercover situation -- Nintendo had a minor role in the development, but it's not a Nintendo game.

By the way, do we have the credits for that game?

I find it odd anyone thinks Star Fox Assault would be a likely choice when Zero exists. that game would take less effort to bring up to par with other Switch titles. Sure you'd need to tweak it to work without the gamepad, but otherwise you've got a full HD Star Fox game you could bring to Switch as is.

I find it odd anyone thinks Star Fox Assault would be a likely choice when Zero exists. that game would take less effort to bring up to par with other Switch titles. Sure you'd need to tweak it to work without the gamepad, but otherwise you've got a full HD Star Fox game you could bring to Switch as is.

But then you'd have Starfox Zero.

Star Fox Zero would be difficult to get a sense of where you're aiming without the gamepad unless you limit how far you can aim to make it more like the N64 game. But that would make certain bosses extremely difficult.

But then you'd have Starfox Zero.
I agree that it's not a fantastic game, but at least it would be a cheap way to get Star Fox on Switch. Sure I'd much rather see a new game, I really think the series really needs to stop copying 64 at this point. But honestly who knows how much Nintendo want to invest into a new game for this series. And while I wouldn't take a port of Zero over a new game, I'd take a port of Zero over leaving the series for dead, I think it would sell fine, and ultimately it's still using 64 as a base, so it would be pretty fun if the controls were defucked.
Star Fox Zero would be difficult to get a sense of where you're aiming without the gamepad unless you limit how far you can aim to make it more like the N64 game. But that would make certain bosses extremely difficult.
A lot of the "need" for the Gamepad is artificial, you can't use the traditional view in boss fights, and the reticule is purposefully inaccurate. Getting rid of both of those would get you 90% of the way toward a functional game without the gamepad as is. As for the remaining 10% I don't think redesigning a few enemies or bosses would be more expensive than bringing over Assault, or even Adventures & Command for that matter.
why would bandai namco remake/remaster star fox zero when platinum could do it?
They wouldn't, that's kind of my point, I don't see why Nintendo/Namco would port Assault when it has a HD Star Fox game they could already use to test the waters or fill a software gap. Could be done by any place which has done other first party ports to Switch, like Eighting as an example.

A lot of the "need" for the Gamepad is artificial, you can't use the traditional view in boss fights, and the reticule is purposefully inaccurate.
This isn't true. Star Fox games always have apparent "less accuracy" the further your cursor get away from facing forward on your ship, because of how the cursor looks. Zero just allows you to point in more extreme directions separate from your ship so the difference is more obvious. But they only let you do that in the first place because you have the game pad.

Also they would have to remove certain bosses, not just change them.

3D action game can mean anything that's not 2D. A sleeper choice for me is a DK64 remake/remaster. Considering how much they'll be pushing DK with the Mario movie, the new Lego sets and the upcoming theme park expansion in Japan in 2024 and Epic Universe in 2025, I can see a DK64 remaster. Also, DK64 isn't on NSO yet. Just a fun theory :)

IMG_4217.png
デフォルメ art style.

Oh man I absolutely love the SD art of those characters, especially Kamille and Char. Never seen this before.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the credits for the last few Namco remasters/remakes that were outsourced to other companies. It looks like Namco itself was only actively involved when it came to production, marketing, and QA. Nothing game design or graphics related. Even Tales of Symphonia was handed out to a small team from Namco Romania instead of the main Japanese studio.

Unless Baten Kaitos happens to be th exception, I definitely think this project is something else.

Last edited:
They wouldn't, that's kind of my point, I don't see why Nintendo/Namco would port Assault when it has a HD Star Fox game they could already use to test the waters or fill a software gap. Could be done by any place which has done other first party ports to Switch, like Eighting as an example.
If they are taking the time to actually remake Assault, I can see them changing the on-foot segments to be more like a traditional tps rather than the arcadey shooter it is now.

As for why Assault, I'd say it's because it's different. For that same reason, Adventure is on the table too, but Assault is more traditional so they might see that as a better place to start

Namco literally made Star Fox Assault, so it's likely they still have access to the source code, engine, assets, etc. and coud more easily rework those into HD and make tweaks to the gameplay. Nintendo remasters like Xenoblade Chronicles DE and Kirby: Return to Dreamland DX show that it's possible for them to go back and not just spruce up the graphics to look nice in the HD era, but to also reuse the assets to create new single player content, and introduce online leaderboard elements in Kirby's case.

Sure, they could spend a lot of time reworking Zero from the ground up, but why go to Namco and not Platinum, who publicly asked to work on it?

IF this HD remaster is Star Fox-related, it would make more sense for Bamco to do Assault, since they made it themselves and therefore have access to the materials and possibly even some of the original staff. It's as simple as that.

Namco literally made Star Fox Assault, so it's likely they still have access to the source code, engine, assets, etc. and coud more easily rework those into HD and make tweaks to the gameplay. Nintendo remasters like Xenoblade Chronicles DE and Kirby: Return to Dreamland DX show that it's possible for them to go back and not just spruce up the graphics to look nice in the HD era, but to also reuse the assets to create new single player content, and introduce online leaderboard elements in Kirby's case.

Sure, they could spend a lot of time reworking Zero from the ground up, but why go to Namco and not Platinum, who publicly asked to work on it?

IF this HD remaster is Star Fox-related, it would make more sense for Bamco to do Assault, since they made it themselves and therefore have access to the materials and possibly even some of the original staff. It's as simple as that.

They made it almost 20 years ago, though. Are we sure they still have the code?

To bring them to newer platforms, spruce them up? Just like the point of any remaster?

Okay, but StarFox Assault or Zero would rank probably not break the top 50 of a "GameCube/Wii/WiiU game that makes the most sense to remaster" even after you remove the hundreds that have already been ported/remastered.

They're weren't even popular when they were released and it's not like the current era is a better fit for them.

Yeah, I don't really believe that at all.
Fine, don't believe the truth I guess. Star Fox Adventures is a highly requested one, and sold more than Kirby Air Ride and F-ZERO GX, also two highly requested games to be remastered. Aside from that, it also sold almost as much as Paper Mario TTYD, which is perhaps the most requested GameCube game to be remastered.

Fine, don't believe the truth I guess. Star Fox Adventures is a highly requested one

What? Adventures, the game where the entire Star Fox series went veering wildly off track, never to recover? People actually want that awful thing back? I've never seen any demand online for this one at all. Just because something sold well back then, doesn't mean that people want it again now. Especially given how much the series has declined in sales over time. The audience for any Star Fox remaster is small, but I imagine the audience for Adventures specifically is even smaller.

What would be the point of remastering any of these old StarFox games, lol.
Yeah who cares. It's not like anybody likes the franchise or anything. The series only sold about 12 million copies over its lifetime in the past 30 years, and all but two (arguably three) games were million+ sellers, and the latest one was released on a dead console that few people bought.

I know the series has had its ups and downs, but it shouldn't be a surprise to some that a Nintendo franchise can be fondly thought of by its fans - even the less popular entries - and they hope to see it revived in a proper way.

Nintendo likely still has it, yes.
I'm not sure Nintendo owns the code, especially since the engine is Namco-proprietary (the Klonoa one, I believe).

They own the IP elements, but the software code is definitely Bamco's. Just like F-Zero GX and Sega,

Just like F-Zero GX and Sega,

I thought this couldn't possibly be the case, but when I looked into it, you're right! Sega does own any "newly developed program" for F-Zero GX. It's very unusual! I think it might be because F-Zero AX/GX is running off a modified version of the Super Monkey Ball engine?

Not sure if Star Fox Assault is in the same situation. Either way, the game wasn't very good, so hopefully they won't waste their time with it. As for what the remaster could possibly be? I'd love for it to be Metroid Prime 2; getting that out the door so Retro doesn't need to waste their own manpower on it. Or better yet... Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn! ...though these aren't exactly "3D Action" unless you REALLY stretch the definition.

Fine, don't believe the truth I guess. Star Fox Adventures is a highly requested one, and sold more than Kirby Air Ride and F-ZERO GX, also two highly requested games to be remastered. Aside from that, it also sold almost as much as Paper Mario TTYD, which is perhaps the most requested GameCube game to be remastered.
Air Ride and GX are very beloved by the fan base, whereas Assault is at best considered "good ideas, lost potential" and Adventures "below average 3D Zelda game".

I really doubt Nintendo would release high-profile remakes for these games. Mind you, I would like them (especially Assault, on-foot missions would benefit from Splatoon-esque controls), but they are unlikely. They are the sort of game you'd expect for a NSO - GameCube for Switch 2, or maybe sold as part of a collection.
Not sure if Star Fox Assault is in the same situation.
Just checked, and it is! But the game couldn't be re-released without Namco's involvement anyway, as it includes Galaga as a minigame (kinda like Donkey Kong 64 and Jetpac).

I would be ecstatic if this turned out to be Star Fox related, I loved Adventures and Assault on GCN!

Not a fan of Star Fox honestly. The only Star Fox game I've ever enjoyed was 64. Would rather it was something cool like Kid Icarus they were working on.

Just in case...

The source being 50/50 has me iffy.

A remaster of Soulcalibur 3 (especially the better, updated Arcade Edition), along with rollback netcode, would be pretty much the definitive Soulcalibur fighting game for me and many.

So of COURSE we're not going to get that~!

I thought this couldn't possibly be the case, but when I looked into it, you're right! Sega does own any "newly developed program" for F-Zero GX. It's very unusual! I think it might be because F-Zero AX/GX is running off a modified version of the Super Monkey Ball engine?
Considering F-Zero and Star Fox were originally developed for arcades (due to the Triforce initiative), it makes sense. Nintendo themselves were not interested in making arcade games, so they left the development to Namco and Sega, who had to use their own engines for that reason.

GX itself is based on AX, but Assault's rumored arcade entry never materialized.

Considering F-Zero and Star Fox were originally developed for arcades (due to the Triforce initiative), it makes sense. Nintendo themselves were not interested in making arcade games, so they left the development to Namco and Sega, who had to use their own engines for that reason.

GX itself is based on AX, but Assault's rumored arcade entry never materialized.

Yes, I remember that! Star Fox Arcade. It's a shame it never released, it would have been a lot of fun! Star Fox lends itself well to an arcade experience. And in general, it would have been really cool to see an Arwing themed cabinet!

I will actively identify myself as part of the StarFox GCN Defence Force.

Starfox Adventures stands as one of my top five favourite Zelda games. It's got cutting edge (at the time) graphics with individual character hairs rendered, gameplay segments that put a focus on the female lead (albeit briefly), voice acting, top tier music, race sequences, side quests, collectibles, and DINOSAURS. Far as I'm concerned, this is the game Zelda fans asked for after Wind Waker in 2001 but never played. Literally the greatest reason to remake that gem is to give General Scales the final boss fight he deserves that was cut due to development time constraints. The only restriction to this game getting an HD remake is just because of Rare's involvement, but if GoldenEye of all games could make it to NSO, I'm less than inclined to believe there's anyone at Microsoft who would intentionally hold up this release if Nintendo wanted to pursue it.

StarFox Assault HD needs to exist simply to offer online multiplayer because I never got to play it often enough on the Gamecube, but when I did get to with multiple friends hanging out at my house it honestly rivalled Melee in terms of hours played. I have no doubt Bamco would be able to hold on to the source code of this game and really it's just some red tape that would need to be cut in order to make it a reality.

Just in case...

The source being 50/50 has me iffy.

Namco re-remastering games wouldn't surprise me but there's more possible outcome for Soul Calibur. Nvidia Lightspeed, who recently ported Portal games to Switch from their Nvidia Shiled portfolio, also has Soul Calibur 1 in their resume. They might bring it to Switch exclusively. Not Xbox though, they're unlikely to support a system that's not using their hardware.

There’s a lot of reasons for Nintendo to remaster/remake Kid Icarus: Uprising on Switch—perhaps the biggest being that Nintendo put a lot of money and effort into the development of the original game compared to other games, so I imagine being able to salvage much of that like the fantastic and expansive voice work and soundtrack by rereleasing it on Switch where the game would probably see more sales than it got on 3DS might be pretty appealing to Nintendo. And, of course, there’s a lot of demand for a rerelease, too.
Yeah, I'm also under the belief that Kid Icarus Uprising is the game being remastered. Sakurai's been clearly hinting at the idea.

Gonna be honest: I get kind of frustrated at how people take a quick off-the-cuff joke from Sakurai and make it out to be proof that he’s totally for real working on a Kid Icarus Uprising remaster or remake. As much as I’d like it to be real, it feels like people are hyping themselves up over nothing. In all honestly, it reminds me a little of some of the worst bits of Smash speculation (remember people taking tweets from the Overwatch Twitter account as proof Tracer was gonna be in Smash?) Best of what we can tell, Sakurai’s doing his YouTube channel, and he’s said as much that he’s doing it because he finally has some free time. I doubt he’d be doing YouTube if he had to commit to an Uprising remaster; doesn’t necessarily mean there won’t be one, but it makes me think at the very least he won’t be involved in it.

Namco re-remastering games wouldn't surprise me but there's more possible outcome for Soul Calibur. Nvidia Lightspeed, who recently ported Portal games to Switch from their Nvidia Shiled portfolio, also has Soul Calibur 1 in their resume. They might bring it to Switch exclusively. Not Xbox though, they're unlikely to support a system that's not using their hardware.
I'm expecting a bare bones port of SC 1 and 2 for all platforms.

Basically what they did for Tales of Symphonia. The only reason I brought it up was Nintendo would have to be involved in order for Link to come back.

No one knows really but Arika who are working on 8 and mentioned last month they would bring their own online function into the game. Fighting Ex Layer did have rollback but it was shitty.
Not sure if the assisting company has much of a say in that aspect

Back
Top Bottom