• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

I just got the 75 day trial of Crunchyroll through Gamepass. I don't watch anime and don't know where to start. I was thinking One Piece but isn't that like 4000 episodes? Are there any great single season shows?
What genres are you interested in? That would help narrow it down.

Here’s a handful of cool shows I love on Crunchryoll across a few genres:

Mob Pyscho 100 (26 episodes!)
My Hero Academia
Re:Zero
Madoka Magica (12 episodes!)
Hajime No Ippo
March Comes In Like A Lion
Symphogear
Dragon Ball Super
Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online (12 episodes)

Last edited:
I just got the 75 day trial of Crunchyroll through Gamepass. I don't watch anime and don't know where to start. I was thinking One Piece but isn't that like 4000 episodes? Are there any great single season shows?
Tons but it’s really taste dependent. As a mecha guy always gotta suggest trying a Gundam but it’s your pick of what sounds more interesting to you since there’s a bunch of standalone AU’s

Also gotta recommend Mazinger edition Z (aka Shin Mazinger), such a great reimagining but skip the first episode they did a weird alt take of the climax opening setup and it’s more likely to confuse. Start with episode 2. If you’ve ever been interested in Super Robots it’s a solid take on one of the originals and it’s not too long either

I heard Odd Taxi from this season is excellent but I haven’t gotten around to it myself. Welcome to Demon School Iruma is some excellent shonen fun with an interesting setup.

I could recommend more but going too deep into my personal tastes can be dangerous

Waking up and remembering we're finally get S3 of Mob Psycho

:D
After the new Madoka movie and maybe season 3 of Magia Record (Madoka is my favorite anime), Mob Psycho 100 Season 3 is my most anticipated upcoming anime. Just so cool we are getting a full adaption!

Jujutsu Kaisen episode 3

This is pretty standard battle shonen fair but it's fun so far. The themes of death and mortality are interesting and not typical of the genre.

Waking up and remembering we're finally get S3 of Mob Psycho

:D
And Vinland Saga S2
And Spy x Family
And Chainsaw-Man
And Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure Stone Ocean
And Kaguya S3
And Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 (season 2 has also been hinted at)
And plenty more that I’m sure I am forgetting

@Mekanos I remember you were going through UC Gundam shows. Have you seen Thunderbolt?

And Vinland Saga S2
And Spy x Family
And Chainsaw-Man
And Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure Stone Ocean
And Kaguya S3
And Jujutsu Kaisen Movie 0 (season 2 has also been hinted at)
And plenty more that I’m sure I am forgetting

@Mekanos I remember you were going through UC Gundam shows. Have you seen Thunderbolt?
Out of that list, I'm only excited for JoJo lol. Couldn't get into Kaguya and I haven't watched the rest. I know, I'm slow on the upkeep lol.

I heard Jujutsu Kaisen was really good, and definitely up my alley, as will Spy x Family most likely.

Huh, for some reason I didn't get a notification for this...

I have not seen Thunderbolt. I have seen:

79, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, F91, Victory, 0080, 0083, 08th MS Team, Unicorn
SEED, SEED Destiny
Mobile Fighter G
Turn A
Reco In G

And I think that's it. I was going to watch IBO next, then 00.

I’m feeling happy, my fave comedy of the season just got a dub announced which gives me a reason to rewatch

Whis/Brook/Shoji is voiced Ronaldo and Starscream is Draluc

Last edited:
Woah this is wild

And a clever choice, tho if I remember right usually Toku shows won’t cast family members, tho I guess this is an exception as it’s a direct recast and a cool one at that(for the og Kamen Rider being replaced by his son in the role for a crossover movie)

JoJo Part 6

Off to a very good start, I was confident after reading the manga this part would be popular among the western fanbase once it was animated, and I think its female cast and timely political themes will resonate even more. Three episodes in and having a blast.

I finished watching High Guardian Spice tonight. It was the Crunchyroll Original that got all kinds of hate directed at it because it dared to be proudly inclusive. Overall it was a great show! I liked the characters and positive themes and it had a great sense of adventure that a magical academy show needs to be fun. If you liked Little Witch Academia, this is a pretty good show in that vein with a bit more sword swinging action. I’ve hardly seen anyone talk about it so hopefully it somehow did well against all the odds after Crunchyroll panicked, hid the finished show for at least a year, unceremoniously Netflixed it, and put up a weird content warning at the start of every episode for the light cursing and minimal blood when way more problematic shows on the service have nothing of the sort. So yeah…it probably won’t be getting a second season to resolve everything, but yeah it’s good.

Since this season has been quiet for anime, I watched all of Avatar The Last Airbender these last two months since a friend got me the Blu Rays for it last year. Do we consider that an anime here? Sure seems like one in every way except being written here. If so it was very good.

I also watched through the first 3 episodes of Stone Ocean. Loving it so far. The dub has been excellent so far. I'm also really loving Jolyne. I don't see her being able to dethrone Joseph as my favorite JoJo, but she has risen to the top half easily so far.

Part 6 is easily my 2nd favorite JoJo (part 7 is Araki's opus). All the things people traditionally hate about it are my favorite things in it, and I think more recent jojo converts and anime only fans are going to love it. Also, I really love Jolynr as a fellow Florida dirtbag girl.

Rumble Garanndoll-1
This is the stuff I live for, didn’t realize it was a mecha show till this week, so finally watched the first episode. How can it somehow be a similar setup to Amaim and be soooooo much better. Super robot powered by nerdy passion is the best kind of setup and the designs are fun and wacky. Looks like I have some catching up to do this weekend. Designs are making me think of planet with tho or Wataru

More people need to be watching Ranking of Kings and The Vampire Dies in no Time
Dies in no time is excellent and the English dub just started!

I just started Rumble Garanndoll which is excellent as well. Was not expecting a modern show to call back to Wataru’s style of mech design of all things

Odd Taxi, Odd Taxi and Odd Taxi.

Cells at Work Season 1 and 2
Cells ar Work: Code Black

This is a really interesting interview
You know, it’s crazy how much visual diversity the original Gundam series had considering how relatively limited the pallet was at 82 colors(compared to Yamato which was made at the same time by sunrise with over 300).

Kind of explains why some of the designs of that time period tended to have so few colors in the mecha design tho. But in some ways that helped make them so iconic

Betterman - series
Pretty wild trippy and dark stuff(I mean it is based in a certain family of horror). Crazy to think this is the same world as GaoGaiGar. Kinda glad GGG Vs Betterman is in SRW30 so I can find out the fates of certain characters
poor Sakura. Her being the bosses daughter was a fun twist

Edit also reminded me Japan is getting this epic collection next month and had Endoh make a new song to go with the remastered intros

Sigh if only someone would bring over the rest of the yuusha On shows

Last edited:
Anime is back! I’m at least checking out Attack on Titan’s Final Season Part 2 and season 2 of Princess Connect. The first episode of AOT was awesome, Mappa largely did an amazing job making this an exciting, extra bloody premiere. I think the current fight will wrap up next episode which I’m excited to see. I’ve read the manga, so I’m here to see it through. I’m mostly busy with watching AGDQ this week, but I’m excited to see all the OVAs they added recently. I’ve only seen the first two prior.

Princess Connect is still great too! It still has that really fun, loose Konosuba-like animation and the never mean humor is very good. Some really cool, adventurous shots this week too. Wish we got more proper fantasy anime like this, at least in visuals.

Last year I watched a ton of Winter shows, but this year I'm limiting myself to three favorites: the rest of Demon Slayer, Sono Bisque Doll/My Dress Up Darling, and Sakaki & Miyano. Dress Up Darling in particular had a great start, I love Marin and Wakana and their relationship so much.

I also ended up caving for Hidive's yearly discount so I'll have that catalog for the rest of 2022 at least. I've been deciding what to watch first, I'll probably start with the Made In Abyss movies and then move on to either Starlight Revue or rewatch Clannad for the first time since it aired I believe.

Yeah outside of sequels, I’m just waiting to see what’s popping up and checking stuff out. Will check out princess connect before my free sub ends( thanks for that suggestion @xghost777 ). I got the Hidive deal as well @Rhisiart lots of mecha for me to watch, Lupin and some random stuff like Garo(if you ever wanted a more adult Toku from a guy who had no restraints on him apparently it’s a trip).

Still keeping my Funi dub but between it and Hidive I’ll drop crunchy for now especially since some stuff can come to funi later with a dub and I have enough subbed backlog as is. Off the top of my head on returning stuff, realist hero and Afferiuty from commonplace to worlds finest are on my list

Oh tried Miss Kuroitso from monster development, I’ll probably keep watching that even if a week behind with ads, loved that all the one off heroes were actual cosplayers, that was pretty awesome

This is the kind of season where i go: "oh cool, time to kill my backlog" and then proceed to watch nothing at all.

I'll continue Ranking of Kings for sure and i'll probably check out Tribe Nine hoping for some crazy bullshit.

Miss Kuroitsu 2
Lord Megistus in professional clothes is cracking me up, oh no he’s a gacha whale XD, best boss. Oh no that poor substitute minion XD. Also poor Wolf XD

Show continues to be a blast as a Toku enjoyer

This new season doesn't have many shows I'm hyped for, but Attack on Titan and Kimetsu no Yaiba airing at the same time MORE than enough makes up for it!
They're just too darn good!!

Also the OP for AoT is so badass, it's probably my fav one of the series which is saying something because they're all bangers tbh.

Which anime should I watch?

As someone that doesn't like Attack on Titan.
That’s a pretty wide net, do you want adventure? Comedy? Recent? Classic? Mecha(Rumble Garanndoll was the best of last season, tho Getter Robo Arc was my fave of the year but that ones got some stuff that makes it a touch tough for newcomers as it’s the adaption of the final entry of a series that’s never had a 1:1 adaption before just reimaginings)?

That’s a pretty wide net, do you want adventure? Comedy? Recent? Classic? Mecha(Rumble Garanndoll was the best of last season, tho Getter Robo Arc was my fave of the year but that ones got some stuff that makes it a touch tough for newcomers as it’s the adaption of the final entry of a series that’s never had a 1:1 adaption before just reimaginings)?
Let's see...

I like recent anime, but may watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Definitely not mecha because for some reason I just don't like them. I don't like the idea of a character hiding behind a tank with legs, ahahaha.

I'm actually interested in anything like the Berserk manga (sans the Berserk anime). Dark fantasy is awesome.

Recently watched Fate/Zero and liked it despite my problems with it; currently playing Fate/Stay Night.

What else...

No comedy for the most part, though I don't really like "dark and depressing" despite my love for dark fantasy.

Sci-fi? Probably. Just not Steins;Gate (though I love the opening of Steins;Gate 0).

Honestly, Love After World Domination seems interesting; so does Spy x Family.

Other than that, I'll randomly state stuff that I like: A Song of Ice and Fire series, Nirvana in Fire TV series, Romance of the Three Kingdoms media in general, Daoism/Daoist texts, The Legend of Zelda game series (the Twilight Princess manga seems interesting), etc.

Terms that might be useful:

Political intrigue (like the manga Kingdom)

Adventure (like the Dragon Ball arcs in the original manga before Z)

Fictional world (not sure if isekai is what I want though, but reverse-portal fantasies or portal fantasies where the characters actually have a backstory prior to going to the fantasy or sci-fi world would be up my alley)

Puzzle-solving (weird one, but basically where the "problems" are sort of just meant to be solved)

Genius guy/gal (think Sima Yi, but also, like, flawed and stuff; didn't really like Lelouch and Code Geass though)

Characters like Stannis Baratheon or, since we're talking about anime, Kiritsugu throughout Fate/Zero (a J. Robert Oppenheimer "I do what I must" character and constantly thinking of the "greater good")

Anything like Death Note (kinda?) where people are trying to out-smart each other.

I'd rather avoid "villain protagonists" if I can help it; I find them annoying.

Same with "Evil" Empire (hell, they're never "evil" anyways; they just have cool aesthetics).

Hope that helps!

Let's see...

I like recent anime, but may watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Definitely not mecha because for some reason I just don't like them. I don't like the idea of a character hiding behind a tank with legs, ahahaha.

I'm actually interested in anything like the Berserk manga (sans the Berserk anime). Dark fantasy is awesome.

Recently watched Fate/Zero and liked it despite my problems with it; currently playing Fate/Stay Night.

What else...

No comedy for the most part, though I don't really like "dark and depressing" despite my love for dark fantasy.

Sci-fi? Probably. Just not Steins;Gate (though I love the opening of Steins;Gate 0).

Honestly, Love After World Domination seems interesting; so does Spy x Family.

Other than that, I'll randomly state stuff that I like: A Song of Ice and Fire series, Nirvana in Fire TV series, Romance of the Three Kingdoms media in general, Daoism/Daoist texts, The Legend of Zelda game series (the Twilight Princess manga seems interesting), etc.

Fictional world (not sure if isekai is what I want though, but reverse-portal fantasies or portal fantasies where the characters actually have a backstory prior to going to the fantasy or sci-fi world would be up my alley)

Puzzle-solving (weird one, but basically where the "problems" are sort of just meant to be solved)

Genius guy/gal (think Sima Yi, but also, like, flawed and stuff; didn't really like Lelouch and Code Geass though)

Characters like Stannis Baratheon or, since we're talking about anime, Kiritsugu throughout Fate/Zero (a J. Robert Oppenheimer "I do what I must" character and constantly thinking of the "greater good")

Anything like Death Note (kinda?) where people are trying to out-smart each other.

Same with "Evil" Empire (hell, they're never "evil" anyways; they just have cool aesthetics).

Hope that helps!
You mentioned genius characters and while this main character isn’t terribly flawed, I want to recommend Dr. Stone if you haven’t seen it. Basically randomly out of nowhere, all of humanity is turned to stone and one high school science genius is one of the first to break free some thousand years later. He wants to revive humanity and civilization with all of the science knowledge he has even though he is basically starting with nothing but rocks. The first four or five episodes are fine, but once it picks up it’s really interesting and fun. The main character says frequently his journey/next goals will always be interesting since “science is never boring” and well as you watch the show I think that certainly pans out! I think there is roughly 36 episodes between the two seasons out with more on the way, so it’s not a big commitment.

Hope that helps!
Some suggestions that fit some of the themes:

- Eighty Six 86 (fits the political intrigue and adventure, and skilled mc(?))

- Ousama Ranking (yes the artstyle might make it seem childish, but it's been super good so far! It slightly gave me GoT vibes granted I haven't caught up with it yet)

- ID:Invaded: puzzle solving type with smart mc's

Hope atleast one of these interests you!

Some suggestions that fit some of the themes:

- Eighty Six 86 (fits the political intrigue and adventure, and skilled mc(?))

- Ousama Ranking (yes the artstyle might make it seem childish, but it's been super good so far! It slightly gave me GoT vibes granted I haven't caught up with it yet)

- ID:Invaded: puzzle solving type with smart mc's

Hope atleast one of these interests you!
I've heard good things of at least two of them. I'll check them out. Thanks!

You mentioned genius characters and while this main character isn’t terribly flawed, I want to recommend Dr. Stone if you haven’t seen it. Basically randomly out of nowhere, all of humanity is turned to stone and one high school science genius is one of the first to break free some thousand years later. He wants to revive humanity and civilization with all of the science knowledge he has even though he is basically starting with nothing but rocks. The first four or five episodes are fine, but once it picks up it’s really interesting and fun. The main character says frequently his journey/next goals will always be interesting since “science is never boring” and well as you watch the show I think that certainly pans out! I think there is roughly 36 episodes between the two seasons out with more on the way, so it’s not a big commitment.
Noice!

I am in complete and utter SHOCK. I only read the manga a few years ago but wow was it brilliant, and I know it's so beloved and people have begged for an anime for ages, so this totally out of left field. Wow!

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans (episode 12)

This show is really good. Probably the best 21st century Gundam production I've seen. The themes of poverty, colonization, and exploitation hit like a truck. It feels like the first Gundam show that really expanded on the political themes of Mobile Suit Gundam in a meaningful, modern way.

Also might have the most hateable villain group in Gundam I've seen in a long time, damn I want these guys to get blown to pieces, lol.

I am in complete and utter SHOCK. I only read the manga a few years ago but wow was it brilliant, and I know it's so beloved and people have begged for an anime for ages, so this totally out of left field. Wow!

If this means we're getting a Spirit Circle adaptation afterwards, I will lose my mind.......

Please

mp4

Started watching some stuff on my Hidive sub, Demon Girl next door, Godannar, and princess resurrection(honestly the human sister seems more screwed up than any of the monsters)

Looking forward to the final few episodes of the Magia Record anime. The final season finally has some key art!

That new Demon Slayer episode was absolutely INSANE. Ufotable really went all out there!!

And then I look at AoT and I get sad because the animation quality really dropped in the final season even though thats like the best part of the story. It's still an amazing watch but it could have been so much better!!

Been thinking about FMAB, after finishing it for the first time just in December. I really want to rewatch it already lol. Up there with .hack//SIGN and Tiger&Bunny in terms of anime I could just watch over and over. Any other shows you guys consider as infinitely rewatchable?

Been thinking about FMAB, after finishing it for the first time just in December. I really want to rewatch it already lol. Up there with .hack//SIGN and Tiger&Bunny in terms of anime I could just watch over and over. Any other shows you guys consider as infinitely rewatchable?
Yeah I definitely have some anime I’ll always enjoy rewatching. I don’t do it too frequently, but Madoka Magica (my favorite show), Yu Yu Hakusho, Symphogear, Nichijou, Baccano, and Girls Und Panzer Der Film are a few of them.

Probably Cowboy Bebop, I've seen it start to finish four times over the last 13 years and every time I take away something new from it.

i'm watching demon slayer season 1, just finished episode 5. it's pretty nice.

first anime i'm watching in... 10 years? i watched the twewy anime but that doesn't really count.

Last edited:
i'm watching demon slayer season 1, just finished episode 5. it's pretty nice.

first anime i'm watching in... 10 years? i watched the twewy anime but that doesn't really count.
Oh boy your in for a treat. Come back here and let ilus know what you think when you finish.

Back
Top Bottom