• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Anime |ST| Is Captain Falcon more anime than Fire Emblem?

G-witch 24
Feels like the production issues caused them decide to do a clean ending rather than stretch things out, but honestly I'm cool with it. No sudden swerves or major derails , and the main character's plots all got pretty nicely capped off even if there's still some threads left open for returning to the universe, but the freedom that there's nothing that has to be directly followed up on. We're going to get side content from this series for a long time thanks to the popularity of the main cast. Can't wait for someone to do Suletta the school teacher manga XD

That's great, actually, the studio can take their time with the source material.

Same here. So I was honestly expecting another throwaway fanservice type of show a la Escha & Logy, but Ryza had a much stronger start. I already like the main trio a lot, especially Ryza herself. It makes perfect sense that someone as adventurous as her would get hooked on something as magical as alchemy.
It does help the game structure was also thought like a Slice of life anime itself, so the progression of the story doesn't feel weird like in Escha & Logy

Lots of feelings about G-Witch but more than anything I'll really miss the show and the characters, got me through a pretty rough period. Hope we more side content (or more of the universe), but I'm content with the ending.

I wouldn't say G-Witch was a massive disappointment because you could see the quality plummeting three episodes into the second season, but man the ending was messy. They tried to be more ambitious with the plot and it simply did not work out. Should have scaled down and focused on the school stuff, honestly.

It does help the game structure was also thought like a Slice of life anime itself
Interesting, I thought all the Atelier games were like that?

I wouldn't say G-Witch was a massive disappointment because you could see the quality plummeting three episodes into the second season, but man the ending was messy. They tried to be more ambitious with the plot and it simply did not work out. Should have scaled down and focused on the school stuff, honestly.

Interesting, I thought all the Atelier games were like that?
They are but the main issue with previous games before Ryza is how the chapters and the story moves. If you watched Escha & Logy you probably saw how some parts were disconnected (suddenly we are visiting a town, now we are in volcano, etc) because the games kinda let you choose where to go and which characters focus on. Ryza is more linear in that way, which helps the anime to follow a more logic structure

I made a joke that G-Witch felt like it really struggled to hit a balance between wacky high school antics and the horrors of war, and then I realized that's Code Geass

...then I realized G-Witch was written by the Code Geass writer

Overall I thought the show was pretty good, but definitely felt strained from a production standpoint (you can see how the last few episodes have credits for tons and tons of animators, which feels like trying to patch things up last minute) and bit off more than it could chew story-wise. I do hope though we get another four cour Gundam show someday (or even just three cour since frankly a lot of four cour shows have the opposite problem - stretching out a story too thin).

I made a joke that G-Witch felt like it really struggled to hit a balance between wacky high school antics and the horrors of war, and then I realized that's Code Geass

...then I realized G-Witch was written by the Code Geass writer

Overall I thought the show was pretty good, but definitely felt strained from a production standpoint (you can see how the last few episodes have credits for tons and tons of animators, which feels like trying to patch things up last minute) and bit off more than it could chew story-wise. I do hope though we get another four cour Gundam show someday (or even just three cour since frankly a lot of four cour shows have the opposite problem - stretching out a story too thin).
Writer also did the Utena novelization. Personally I’m cool with things being a bit more open, this story’s focus was on personal relationships and a very tight slice of this world. Also means skies the limits for spin-offs or a sequel, it’s not locked into anything. But the fact the greater world wasn’t effected heavily is a staple of Gundam. A miracle doesn’t cause the world to change the acts of many people over time do. Also the rare time one of the main antagonists(Delling and Shaddiq) survive and face legal consequences(the former facing court trials and the latter likely on death row… tho Dawn of Fold could break him out). Also the Piel council is either retired or in club fed. Elan Ceres was never personally involved in what happened, he was just another business partner who happened to know when to walk away

Also hope you’re ready for Suletta(Aerial) and Guel(Darilblade) to be the standard first set popping into every Gundam spinoff(tho overtime Demibarding, Pharact, Calibarn, Thorn, Ur and Schwartzette will all likely follow as well). Finally we have a Gundam show with enough popular fleshed out units for some options that will be picked over random UC grunts or 8 versions of the lead suit XD

Writer also did the Utena novelization. Personally I’m cool with things being a bit more open, this story’s focus was on personal relationships and a very tight slice of this world. Also means skies the limits for spin-offs or a sequel, it’s not locked into anything. But the fact the greater world wasn’t effected heavily is a staple of Gundam. A miracle doesn’t cause the world to change the acts of many people over time do. Also the rare time one of the main antagonists(Delling and Shaddiq) survive and face legal consequences(the former facing court trials and the latter likely on death row… tho Dawn of Fold could break him out). Also the Piel council is either retired or in club fed. Elan Ceres was never personally involved in what happened, he was just another business partner who happened to know when to walk away

Also hope you’re ready for Suletta(Aerial) and Guel(Darilblade) to be the standard first set popping into every Gundam spinoff(tho overtime Demibarding, Pharact, Calibarn, Thorn, Ur and Schwartzette will all likely follow as well). Finally we have a Gundam show with enough popular fleshed out units for some options that will be picked over random UC grunts or 8 versions of the lead suit XD
I mean one of my favorite series is IBO which probably has the bleakest ending in the series, but it feels like most of its storylines actually got addressed in comparison. I just think there were a lot of spinning plates here and they should have focused more on the smaller stuff than try to go big and fail to address the big stuff.

I just think there were a lot of spinning plates here and they should have focused more on the smaller stuff than try to go big and fail to address the big stuff
Yeah, G-Witch clearly couldn’t handle all the spinning plates and had to give up on some on them. I definitely think they should have scaled the story down.

I mean nothing wrong with leaving threads open for side or sequel material either. Gundam loves spinoff manga and novels. Sometimes it’s more satisfying that way too XD

When you realize Mika from IBO is just a cyber newtype archetype and his arc follows that trope perfectly XD

I totally get why some people may not like the ending, but I really enjoyed it. Parts of it were certainly rushed but the main character arcs and relationships were all resolved, and their endings were well earned.

I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a bunch of high school kids to have been able to solve the greater conflict of earth vs space. I like the message that all they can really do is just try and do their best.

Also it’s nice to have an anime that lets queer characters actually have a happy ending without resorting to any ‘Bury Your Gays’ bullshit. Just give me a spin-off movie showing the wedding, that’s my only real disappointment.

I totally get why some people may not like the ending, but I really enjoyed it. Parts of it were certainly rushed but the main character arcs and relationships were all resolved, and their endings were well earned.

I don’t think it’s realistic to expect a bunch of high school kids to have been able to solve the greater conflict of earth vs space. I like the message that all they can really do is just try and do their best.

Also it’s nice to have an anime that lets queer characters actually have a happy ending without resorting to any ‘Bury Your Gays’ bullshit. Just give me a spin-off movie showing the wedding, that’s my only real disappointment.
I did find it funny people were worried it was just queer bait since In IBO the Lesbian duo were the main part of the hero cast that got off scot free and god married there too. Albeit the latter not on screen

Also loose threads are a classic Gundam things for manga, novels and even a spinoff/sequel series to handle XD

I mean nothing wrong with leaving threads open for side or sequel material either
There’s ways to do that without screwing up the main story. Like I know Gundam isn’t exactly top tier writing, but G-Witch really botched it

Of course it’s not realistic for high schoolers to solve those minds of problems, which begs the question why G-Witch pursued that plot thread. I feel like they had bigger plans and for whatever reason were forced to scrap them.

It really is nice Suletta and Miorine were allowed to live as a happy gay couple though.

This looks pretty good. And the involved people make me very optimistic... but I'm just so very, very tired of Harley Quinn and the Joker :|

Me thinking in all the atelier games "ok they make the UI to represent material with drawings and icons to be intuitive for the player, obviously a real alchemy book would have detailed notes of the materials"
Atelier Ryza producer "actually literacy rate in this world is shit, books are really pictures so anyone can understand them"

qgOzmNu.png

kI3nJqD.png

"ok they make the UI to represent material with drawings and icons to be intuitive for the player, obviously a real alchemy book would have detailed notes of the materials"
Having not played any of the Atelier games, it's really funny how they very obviously lifted some stuff wholesale from the video games. Like the alchemy process itself literally involving plopping things into a bubbling cauldron, after which the end product floats up inside a magic bubble. Kinda charming how the world works on video game logic like that.

Since we’ve been quiet, here’s my new season review batch drop
Undead Murder Farce 1
Lots of exposition but a great setup, I'm in. But wait, this time period, Britain and an M cane… the villain is totally Moriarity isn't it. Well I look forward to seeing this shows take on Sherlock and Watson then. Hard to beat TGAA. love a wild intrigue setup like this
Yohane 1
Neo-fantasy setup with magical idol lead. Yeah I can roll with that. Seems like goofy fun
OP trapped at the first level-1
Emily is too good for you Ota, but you haven’t let her down yet at least. Also what a misleading cliffhanger, obviously she’s after his Carrots. The vegetable. She’s a bunny. Not the other thing goofy fun start
The Great Cleric 1
This show is just self aware and goofy… and I like it? Like the main character’s mindset and even the animation just goes wacky randomly but it gives it charm as a result in a like “we know we’re an Isekai, we may as well have fun with it” kind of way?
Vending Machine 1
This is absurdly charming. Just a fun start to a ridiculous setup. Also I think the dungeon generates coins for those worried about the world economy failing from his consumption. Lammie was fun but seems to have control issues
Grade Schooler Demon lord rehabilitates the washed up hero 1
Hmmm, it’s trashy but it’s the kind of story I enjoy so I’ll stick to it for now. Really on point of what would happen to a victorious fantasy hero with an ego forced to face modern society and structure tho XD

Having not played any of the Atelier games, it's really funny how they very obviously lifted some stuff wholesale from the video games. Like the alchemy process itself literally involving plopping things into a bubbling cauldron, after which the end product floats up inside a magic bubble. Kinda charming how the world works on video game logic like that.
It blew my mind because for the last 13 games I always thought they threw the liquid from the test tubes into the alchemy pot, but no, they literal threw the entire tube, with cork and I'm like:

DAI80hU.jpg

Haha oh that's good
Not only that also, ALIENS (technically the humans).

Since we’ve been quiet, here’s my new season review batch drop
Undead Murder Farce 1
Lots of exposition but a great setup, I'm in. But wait, this time period, Britain and an M cane… the villain is totally Moriarity isn't it. Well I look forward to seeing this shows take on Sherlock and Watson then. Hard to beat TGAA. love a wild intrigue setup like this
Yohane 1
Neo-fantasy setup with magical idol lead. Yeah I can roll with that. Seems like goofy fun
OP trapped at the first level-1
Emily is too good for you Ota, but you haven’t let her down yet at least. Also what a misleading cliffhanger, obviously she’s after his Carrots. The vegetable. She’s a bunny. Not the other thing goofy fun start
The Great Cleric 1
This show is just self aware and goofy… and I like it? Like the main character’s mindset and even the animation just goes wacky randomly but it gives it charm as a result in a like “we know we’re an Isekai, we may as well have fun with it” kind of way?
Vending Machine 1
This is absurdly charming. Just a fun start to a ridiculous setup. Also I think the dungeon generates coins for those worried about the world economy failing from his consumption. Lammie was fun but seems to have control issues
Grade Schooler Demon lord rehabilitates the washed up hero 1
Hmmm, it’s trashy but it’s the kind of story I enjoy so I’ll stick to it for now. Really on point of what would happen to a victorious fantasy hero with an ego forced to face modern society and structure tho XD
The vending machine one killed me, the dude is making all the effort to be the best goddamn vending machine ever existed

Alchemy just changing it in the process makes more sense tho, it’s the same material…. Anyways I’m not watching Ryza cause I’ve been meaning to get back to playing Ryza
Not only that also, ALIENS (technically the humans).

The vending machine one killed me, the dude is making all the effort to be the best goddamn vending machine ever existed
Lots of fun isekais this season. Enjoyed the first episode of “oh god, I reincarnated as the most evil ass, slave keeping villainess and I fear I can’t keep myself from this fate” and “Demon Wolves have no business in child rearing, also when your powers are undefined, the possibilities are endless”. But yeah Vending machine is the most earnest, well except intentionally baiting the locals with potato chips after corn soup as more filling. The way he went out tho, that was a riot.

Totally recommend Undead Murder Farce tho, it’s a trip so far

Alchemy just changing it in the process makes more sense tho, it’s the same material…
I mean it makes as much sense as cooking in BotW/TotK where you can somehow make pizzas and gratin just by chucking things into a pot, no need to slice or season or anything haha.

Vending machine isekai was a pleasant surprise. I like how committed the MC is to being a vending machine.

I... did not care for Vending Machine, cute first episode and at least they admit it's a dumb concept but very likely not enough to keep my interest up. Admittedly, my tolerance for the genre is very low as is though.

Will stick around for another episode just to see the opening though, cause damn do I love BRADIO xD

Finished G-Witch a few days ago and it feels like they tried pitching a proper second season that got denied during the production of the second cour. There's more than a couple plot threads that are basically dropped especially the Earth issues. I do like the ending themes about revenge and disability. There was a good tweet thread about it I saw a few days ago but, it basically had a good view on accepting and accommodating disabilities. I liked the aspect of the future of the GUND technology being aid for motor disabilities.

Also tried watching the new Tenchi Muyo GXP but, it just feels like a lot of talking that could make more sense if I rewatched the original series again but, the changes in design and whole like 10 year time skip are confusing.

Been recovering the current Pokemon anime and I'm so far mildly surprised. After neither Journeys nor Sun&Moon really did it for me, Horizons seems promising. so far. Enjoying the more serialised nature of the story and I like the new girl and (to some lesser extent) boy, Really hoping they keep it up and don't mess up in the middle.

Last edited:
Finally made a little time to watch anime tonight. I didn’t know I was actually done with Dr. Stone Season 3 from weeks ago now lol. Can’t believe they cut the season in half where they did right when a cool thing was seemingly about to happen haha.

What I actually watched then was the last two episodes of Gundam Witch From Mercury. Loved both episodes a ton, though that epilogue ran along so quickly I actually missed the big detail of where the main characters wound up lol. Satisfied enough with the ending, though I wish it ran longer. Overall it might be my new favorite Gundam show? Will need to sit on it to know for sure.

Gotta finish the Konosuba spinoff show and then I’m eager to try out a few shows from the current season. Been drowning in video games lately and been more busy in general, but hopefully I can make time again soon.

Watched Synduality Noir and just made me remember this is an actual mixed media project with the game, which was announced back in Sept and only one very short gameplay trailer and like 2 news have appeared. The concept of the coffins is interesting, but yeah I can see how the series is promoting the android waifus when the innevitable multiplayer skins and add-ons appear

Last edited:
First episode of Helck was fun. Don't really know anything about it but it's one of the only things this season I felt like taking a random chance on. Laughed a few times and actually curious to see where the story goes. That's enough for me for now. Would be nice if Hidive got another good simulcast. My two favorite shows last season were Hidive shows.

Also watched the first episode of TenPuru. Not a great first episode. I read a little bit of the manga a while back because the artist is the same as the Grand Blue artist, so I knew to expect sorta trashy harem nonsense, but I remember the manga being a bit funnier. Maybe it just starts slow. Or maybe it's bad. It's been a while since I looked at it. Production values are better than I thought they'd be, at least. Expectations were low in that regard after how disappointing the Cafe Terrace anime was last season, which was a generally bleh adaptation.

Honestly not sure I'm going to watch anything else this season. That Zom 100 show seems to be getting good reviews after the first episode but I don't know anything about it and it didn't appeal to me much on the surface. Maybe I'll check it out if the reception stays positive.

This season will probably be more of a backlog season.

Oh I missed this finally got confirmed for next year back in May, The Wrong way to use Healing magic(for physical training)

The manga for this was pretty fun. Stalls out at a certain point and I didn't keep up with it much after that, but the first few volumes should make for a pretty fun first season.

The Atelier Ryza anime is doing its job as advertisement. I want to buy this game. I want to gather stuff and synthesize things. I want to hang out with these people.

Definitely a bit of a slow season, I’m down to 25+ shows from 40-ish. But there’s at least a couple of great stuff (not counting sequels).

Finished Vinland Saga season 2. Really, really good. I can understand why some people bounced off it because it's so different from the action packed first season but man I haven't seen many shows that depict character development as well as MAPPA did with the adaption of this arc. Easily one of my favorite shows in a while. Highly recommend it, even if you didn't like the first season as much.

Finished watching the Gundam G-Reco movies. I think there's still a lot of issues with plot and tone here, but the movies definitely streamline it and make it more coherent overall than the TV show. Animation and designs are still great. It's serviceable but never really more than that IMO.

I just finished episode 5 of the Urusei Yatsura (2022) dub. I originally didn’t like Lum’s voice, but she’s grown on me. Everyone else has been good from introduction especially Mendou. While I haven’t watched Animeigo’s dub of the UY movies in years, I remember liking it. The reboot show dub is on par or better.

Anyway, I’ve been looking forward to the reboot for a while almost entirely for the art style, taking inspiration from Rumiko Takahashi’s watercolor cover art.

Instead of adapting as many chapters of the manga as the original, the new show cherry-picks the more memorable chapters. I haven’t read that far in the manga or watched all of the original show so I’ll have to take their word for it. Tonally, the new show relies less on exaggeration.

Some cons so far:
  1. Maybe not as funny as the original show.
  2. Often feels rushed.
  3. Lum’s characterization is a little off which makes her less likable so far. She can be a little grating in a way she wasn’t in the original show. May be part of her arc though.
Not a con, just personal preference: I wish the new show managed to work in “Lum no Love Song”. At the same time, I’ve yet to hear a cover that holds a candle to the original so maybe for the best. I read there’s a cover on the new show’s soundtrack so that’s something. EDIT: The cover is on the Blu Ray/DVD, sung by Lum’s new VA, Sumire Uesaka. It is admittedly pretty good:

Ultimately, I like the new show for what it is. I keep comparing it to the original show which admittedly is unfair. It’s so hard not to though.

On a related note, I’m on the fence over buying the new Blu Ray collection of the original show. There will be four volumes at $75 each. I’d prefer a streaming option as I don’t want more things in my house. At the same time, Animeigo lost the Urusei Yatsura license forever ago and the show was unavailable entirely. I could wait for a sale or hold out hope for a complete collection once all the volumes are released.

Last edited:
I just finished episode 5 of the Urusei Yatsura (2022) dub. I originally didn’t like Lum’s voice, but she’s grown on me. Everyone else has been good from introduction especially Mendou. While I haven’t watched Animeigo’s dub of the UY movies in years, I remember liking it. The reboot show dub is on par or better.

Anyway, I’ve been looking forward to the reboot for a while almost entirely for the art style, taking inspiration from Rumiko Takahashi’s watercolor cover art.

Instead of adapting as many chapters of the manga as the original, the new show cherry-picks the more memorable chapters. I haven’t read that far in the manga or watched all of the original show so I’ll have to take their word for it. Tonally, the new show relies less on exaggeration.

Some cons so far:
  1. Maybe not as funny as the original show.
  2. Often feels rushed.
  3. Lum’s characterization is a little off which makes her less likable so far. She can be a little grating in a way she wasn’t in the original show. May be part of her arc though.
Not a con, just personal preference: I wish the new show managed to work in Lum no Love Song. At the same time, I’ve yet to hear a cover that holds a torch to the original so maybe for the best. I read there’s a cover on the new show’s soundtrack so that’s something.

Ultimately, I like the new show for what it is. I keep comparing it to the original show which admittedly is unfair. It’s so hard not to though.

On a related note, I’m on the fence over buying the new Blu Ray collection of the original show. There will be four volumes at $75 each. I’d prefer a streaming option as I don’t want more things in my house. At the same time, Animeigo lost the Urusei Yatsura license forever ago and the show was unavailable entirely. I could wait for a sale or hold out hope for a complete collection once all the volumes are released.
Fyi the original show had a lot of director’s influence on the show tone. The new show is more directly based on the manga. So there’s gonna be some major differences even before the streamlining, rearrangements and combination episodes. Plus gotta have the full ensemble before the whole feel gets there

I powered through the last five episodes of the Megumin Konosuba show tonight. I like Megumin and Yunyun and some of their adventures were fun, but the church town episodes (7 and 8) sucked. The original show and movie definitely had some huge misses so it wasn’t unexpected, but meh still a bummer there. Not sure I’d recommend it much, there weren’t too many highs here sadly, but I had a decent enough time I guess.

Wanted to power through since the current season has thus far escaped me as I’ve been so focused on games (Trails Into Reverie in particular is like a playing an anime lol). Looking forward to finally checking some of the current season out next time I watch anime!

Finally started this season of anime with Sunshine in the Mirror. I was five episodes behind already (whoops), but I saw the first two episodes tonight and I think I’ll be catching up quickly. I wasn’t sure exactly how the show worked, but it is straight up a different universe entirely so while I already like the characters fundamentally I’m still enjoying learning how they fit here exactly. I like Yohane’s dog Lailaps a ton already so that’s good since the story seems to be primarily about Yohane and her. I’ve heard that there is more going on here than expected walking in and the second episode ending is a fun tease perhaps for that. Looking forward to catching up soon and then trying some more Summer shows out.

Finally started this season of anime with Sunshine in the Mirror. I was five episodes behind already (whoops), but I saw the first two episodes tonight and I think I’ll be catching up quickly. I wasn’t sure exactly how the show worked, but it is straight up a different universe entirely so while I already like the characters fundamentally I’m still enjoying learning how they fit here exactly. I like Yohane’s dog Lailaps a ton already so that’s good since the story seems to be primarily about Yohane and her. I’ve heard that there is more going on here than expected walking in and the second episode ending is a fun tease perhaps for that. Looking forward to catching up soon and then trying some more Summer shows out.
It’s a Neo-fantasy world, with random sections of Sunrise going nuts doing whatever they want. You haven’t seen nothing yet XD

Catch up Synduality and yeah, this is Bamco just promoting the cradles/coffins and the robo waifus magus, not expecting too much but its not bad either, and maybe bamco will uncover more of the game that they haven't promoted since september (my bet is it's going to be 2024). Also it already has some HG plamos and look really nice. They even include little figures of the drifter and the magus to put in the robot

pG8siZO.jpg

8nD5NuS.jpg

Not posting much here as I've yet to start this anime season.. I've never falled behind this badly 😭

But aside from jjk s2 and a few other sequels, I'm looking forward to trying the Zom one and a few others!

Not posting much here as I've yet to start this anime season.. I've never falled behind this badly 😭

But aside from jjk s2 and a few other sequels, I'm looking forward to trying the Zom one and a few others!

Undead murder force and Yohane are the 2 standouts for me. Tho Vending machine and Cleric have been fun as well as several others(I don’t do zombie apocalypse’s)

It's so cool to see this animation style, truly like a manga in motion. It will be four episodes and I think took at least four years in production. I guess that's why you don't see projects like this happen very often.

It's so cool to see this animation style, truly like a manga in motion. It will be four episodes and I think took at least four years in production. I guess that's why you don't see projects like this happen very often.

A Junji Ito adaptation that doesn't look like shit? Colour me interested!
Really digging that manga in motion style, probably your best shot at doing Ito justice.

Back
Top Bottom