• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour An Xbox One achievement list for Goldeneye 007 (!!!) has been added to Microsoft's servers

If they get Goldeneye 007 onto Switch, it'll be the N64 ROM on their NSO service. That will make the service more valuable. Just like the other N64 games that deserve HD remasters. Remember, Xbox has had a 60fps HD widescreen version of Banjo-Kazooie for years, and Nintendo has the N64 ROM. Very few people actually care about the difference.
I think the situation is very different both in that:
*It is 2022 and not 2008. The Banjo-Kazooie remaster was old old old old old news by the time N64 NSO came around, and it would be an entirely new effort to make a Switch version. Versus some new version that is currently in development and could be multiplatform to begin with.
*Nintendo has an actual stake in GoldenEye, and leverage to not just get the shittier version.

Things that make you go 🤔

E: the Facebook link won't work embedded but Pierce Brosnan was announced as James Bond on this day in 1994

If the remaster that was made for 360 does not come out for Switch, only series S and X while the original is only for NSO I would be greatly disappointed

Let's go, Stupid Sexy Flanders 🤠

a) this could maybe be it's own fun lil thread in general, ie w a poll

b) I'd be down to a modest side wager for kicks, i.e. something like gifting a famiboards sub perhaps?

c) I'm taking the "Nintendo gets the remaster" side, all day, all the way. Optics ftw!!
I’ll take that action. 🤝 I’d also make an avatar bet or wager for a digital copy of the game. I do own an Xbox and a Switch.

• Actual remaster on switch, you win (with or without N64 ROM in NSO)
  • Just a rom in NSO N64, I win.
  • No release at all on switch? That’s a push (or we wait)

Might seem like I’m giving up too many options, but remember if I lose, that means I get to play GoldenEye Remaster on my Switch.

I’ll take that action. 🤝 I’d also make an avatar bet or wager for a digital copy of the game. I do own an Xbox and a Switch.
Done 🤜 💥 🤛

If the universe conspires against me and Optics and Justice, you can choose btwn the fami sub or the game. (I'm assuming the sub is technically worth more, but can understand opting for the game!)

That said, I got a lot of faith in Emily and Nate and Phil Spencer and whoever ShpeshalNick is! 🙏

Best case scenario: NSO gets the N64 game as part of the service, AND everybody (who is not Sony) gets a 60fps remaster w/ full modern online infrastructure and crossplay and Ken Lobb commentary track.

Done 🤜 💥 🤛

If the universe conspires against me and Optics and Justice, you can choose btwn the fami sub or the game. (I'm assuming the sub is technically worth more, but can understand opting for the game!)

That said, I got a lot of faith in Emily and Nate and Phil Spencer and whoever ShpeshalNick is! 🙏

Best case scenario: NSO gets the N64 game as part of the service, AND everybody (who is not Sony) gets a 60fps remaster w/ full modern online infrastructure and crossplay and Ken Lobb commentary track.
I believe nick is an Xbox insider. Getting pretty nervous now that all the insiders have weighed in…

Well, you can't have neither if this is a NSO dump, so it's has to be the remastered version. You can't even have online play with randoms with NSO.

Yeah it's the XBLA Port (I assume with some work done on it since then)

But I wouldn't be surprised to see the original come to NSO as well

edit: Nintendo held (holds?) design patents on the original N64 game which is why you have to go through Nintendo for this game to exist now. I originally thought the entire block was Danjaq, but it wasn't. Turns out Nintendo was a bigger hurdle. But it seems all good now, but it was never going to happen without being a Switch release also.

My major hope is that it has cross save as well as cross play so I can buy it on Switch to play (natively) on the go. Hopefully performance via xCloud isn't too bad otherwise

Last edited:
Don't see why not, both is better. It would be cool if they could include the n64 original on Xbox as a bonus.

The ideal scenario would be:

1) XBLA Remaster on Xbox One/Series and Switch
2) Original N64 port on NSO
3) Original N64 port on Rare Replay

Yeah it's the XBLA Port (I assume with some work done on it since then)

But I wouldn't be surprised to see the original come to NSO as well

edit: Nintendo held (holds?) design patents on the original N64 game which is why you have to go through Nintendo for this game to exist now. I originally thought the entire block was Danjaq, but it wasn't. Turns out Nintendo was a bigger hurdle. But it seems all good now, but it was never going to happen without being a Switch release also.

My major hope is that it has cross save as well as cross play so I can buy it on Switch to play (natively) on the go. Hopefully performance via xCloud isn't too bad otherwise

:)

How the hell did they managed to screw this? both versions should have been remade and with online cross-play.

My guess is that Nintendo didn't want Xbox Live integration as it would make NSO look inferior. And no way in hell were Nintendo allowing Xbox to get a universally better version, so no Xbox Live, period.

It's still nice to get online on NSO, but for me personally, I'm not super excited because I've played the original ROM online before (I'm lower left):

Yo did I lose a bet??? 😅

Tbh I forgot what I even bet on but I knew I bet on something ...

Quik search later ...

Doh!
I'm a little confused by what we are getting, but I'm guessing I'm taking an L on this one. Sounds like switch version is just straight up emulated N64 🤦
Yeah the Switch version is just the N64 game emulated in their NSO app. The Xbox version is 4K/HD widescreen with achievements and local multiplayer, but no online multiplayer and no new textures/models. So even the Xbox version is pretty basic.

hmm, allegedly Night Dive almost handled this?

i can see them pushing for both plaforms getting the enhanced version, rather than switch only getting an emulated build.

also, i doubt the xbox one build is an exact 1;1 port of the cancelled 360 release.
the enhanced models and textures seem to have been removed, for one.

My guess is that Nintendo didn't want Xbox Live integration as it would make NSO look inferior. And no way in hell were Nintendo allowing Xbox to get a universally better version, so no Xbox Live, period.

It's still nice to get online on NSO, but for me personally, I'm not super excited because I've played the original ROM online before (I'm lower left):

Doesnt make sense if both would get the same game with only maybe a 4k update on the xbox version. The game would still be 60fps on the switch at 1080p so i dont understand this. Just use the 360 version and update from there.

Doesnt make sense if both would get the same game with only maybe a 4k update on the xbox version. The game would still be 60fps on the switch at 1080p so i dont understand this. Just use the 360 version and update from there.
It’s the rare replay n64 emulator most likely

Amazing that for something so long coming they seem to have found a way to leave both Xbox and Switch players disappointed with what they lack from the other version.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022...7-finally-getting-ported-to-xbox-switch-soon/

[Update: The Japanese version of today's Nintendo Direct mentioned a "2023" release date for the game on NSO Expansion Pack. It's currently unclear whether other regions may get the game sooner.]

Also, a comment from the author of that article has a reasonable explanation for the way it's being released:

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I feel like I have a decent guess: all parties agreed to stick to the "base N64 ROM" as a starting point. Where can you go from there? Nintendo has already established a pattern to up-rez polygonal graphics in their N64 emulation suite, and they've also rigged a ho-hum online multiplayer system. The best part of NSO's online functionality is that you can drop any ROM into it and let a networking layer simply parse button taps across 2-4 players. No additional hacking of the base code needed.

Meanwhile on the Rare Replay N64 emulation front, input can be remapped from the N64's original control suite, which already supported dual joystick controls. That's a translation layer on top of the original ROM that doesn't otherwise change the game. Same goes for any up-rez efforts, and perhaps that's also true of achievement functionality. But Rare Replay's N64 emulation never included a networking layer. The path of least resistance may honestly have been "just slap it in the Rare Replay architecture."

Back
Top Bottom