• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour An Xbox One achievement list for Goldeneye 007 (!!!) has been added to Microsoft's servers

I had such a great time with the unreleased XBLA remake, so I can't wait for this. God I miss objective based shooters.

Also Online Temple Slappers Only please and thank you

Would be so disappointing if it’s just the ROM. Means no great online MP like the remaster will be having.

The ROM you can play with friends only and in 4-player splitscreen.

Who pays to develop a Switch version? Who publishes it? If Microsoft is developing/publishing and making the money, why would Nintendo let them do that on their own platform?
Microsoft is already developing an Xbox version, so they'd just port it. Why would they let them do that? Same reason as thousands of other non-Nintendo games.

Microsoft is already developing an Xbox version, so they'd just port it. Why would they let them do that? Same reason as thousands of other non-Nintendo games.
The difference is that GoldenEye 007 was a system seller for Nintendo. It's very strongly associated with Nintendo and the N64. There's value in that. Sure, maybe they worked out an agreement so that MS can publish it on Switch. Maybe there's a big revenue share going Nintendo's way. Nintendo does like money, but I doubt they'd let Microsoft control GoldenEye on their own platform.

It's much more likely that Nintendo's overwhelming preference is to bring an N64 system seller to their N64 library on NSO, without having to compete with a remastered version.

Jeff Grubb chimes in
More sources piling in.
According to VentureBeat journalist Jeff Grubb, who stated on his premium Giant Bomb show GrubbSnax (transcribed by VGC) that he believes that Microsoft is likely to announce the revival, rather than original publisher Nintendo.

Grubb said: “I think that Microsoft is going to be the one to announce that first.” He added: “I think this game is probably coming pretty soon, I’m thinking next couple of weeks.”
I think i remember him being fairly accurate when it comes to leaks and rumours.

It's gonna be a part of NSO, so no.
That’s funny. You may be right. But I’m convinced this will NOT be part of NSO. Even if it is just a rom dump. I personally believe that all the parties will want their piece of the money. EON, Nintendo, MS and I am not sure but Amazon May be involved.

I am expecting the remaster and a $50 price tag for pc/Switch/Xbox ( also in Gamepass), and maybe even Sony later. With crossplay.

To your point, maybe Xbox just threw money at everyone, and everyone relented and let MS do whatever they want. There is certainly precedent for that.

As I'm not exactly that well informed of the ownership situation, can anyone explain what Nintendo's ownership stake in Goldeneye is? I've heard a lot of different things about how much control Nintendo has over the game, so I wanted to know what exactly is the deal here.

As I'm not exactly that well informed of the ownership situation, can anyone explain what Nintendo's ownership stake in Goldeneye is? I've heard a lot of different things about how much control Nintendo has over the game, so I wanted to know what exactly is the deal here.

They had and still have ownership of it.

6128-goldeneye-007-nintendo-64-back-cover.jpg

Notice in the copyrights at the bottom left corner "© 1997 NINTENDO/RARE". It would seem the rights to Goldeneye never fully transferred over to Rare after the Microsoft buyout (unlike their original properties, like Banjo and Killer Instinct which too were co-owned with Nintendo prior to 2002), which I guess is due to its licensed nature.

That isn’t in the slightest bit confirmed.
It's the most likely outcome, though. Banjo also is a rom dump on NSO rather than Xbox's better HD remaster.

Not that Nintendo CAN'T have a native HD version, it's because Nintendo WON'T. They're trying to make NSO Expansion better deal, this is like the best opportunity. Sure, we'll be without stuff like widescreen, gyro control, online with randoms and matchmaking but Nintendo will gain lots of new NSO Exp subs.

It's the most likely outcome, though. Banjo also is a rom dump on NSO rather than Xbox's better HD remaster.

Not that Nintendo CAN'T have a native HD version, it's because Nintendo WON'T. They're trying to make NSO Expansion better deal, this is like the best opportunity. Sure, we'll be without stuff like widescreen, gyro control, online with randoms and matchmaking but Nintendo will gain lots of new NSO Exp subs.
Your theory is sound, and I understand where you are coming from. I felt after the Nintendo Direct and Mario Kart Dlc, that this is how nintendo will add "value" to NSO going forward and after the 30 or so "leaked N64" games are added, they probably will stop the ROM dumps and add DLC.

Does anyone not believe we will see Mario Party DLC added to NSO at their "E3" (there is no E3) Direct. For that matter, Mario Strikers DLC or Splatoon 3?

I just don't seem them dumping cash for a Rom port of Goldeneye only.

Conspiracy theory, maybe MS had second thoughts on the rumored Halo games on switch, and this is what all those Xbox and Switch photos were about?

Conspiracy theory, maybe MS had second thoughts on the rumored Halo games on switch, and this is what all those Xbox and Switch photos were about?
I very much doubt this. Goldeneye 64 is 100% Nintendo property. This situation is Nintendo giving something to Microsoft, not the other way around.

I very much doubt this. Goldeneye 64 is 100% Nintendo property. This situation is Nintendo giving something to Microsoft, not the other way around.
You should learn a thing or two about EON and the James Bond rights regarding everything like videogames & movies.

If Nintendo can get the HD remaster without developing anything, that would work out a lot better for them than having a rom dump on NSO. If both versions exist, people are going to be signing up to NSO expansion pack in droves to play the inferior version.

You should learn a thing or two about EON and the James Bond rights regarding everything like videogames & movies.
Oh I know about licenses and everything. Nintendo itself own the game but without the license it's nothing they cannot re-release the game. Microsoft and Rare tried to remaster the game for Xbox 360 but since Nintendo is the sole owner of the game they blocked the re-release stating "A Nintendo game cannot appear on other consoles". (that person was believed to be Iwata). Nintendo never bothered to negotiate with EON again for a re-release, might have thought it wasn't worth it but by the looks of it they do now.

Same situation as Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Nintendo (and maybe Kotec) own only the third game and Activision the first two. Disney owns the license. Activision license expired and those two games yanked from storefronts. Nintendo cannot bring them back as they are owned by Acti. They need to negotiate with Disney for a potential re-release.

The difference is that GoldenEye 007 was a system seller for Nintendo. It's very strongly associated with Nintendo and the N64. There's value in that. Sure, maybe they worked out an agreement so that MS can publish it on Switch. Maybe there's a big revenue share going Nintendo's way. Nintendo does like money, but I doubt they'd let Microsoft control GoldenEye on their own platform.

It's much more likely that Nintendo's overwhelming preference is to bring an N64 system seller to their N64 library on NSO, without having to compete with a remastered version.
Nintendo has published many third party games' Switch versions--I'm sure they could do that with a GoldenEye remaster too if it was a sticking point. Specifically rejecting any remastered version seems like shooting oneself in the foot, leaving MS with the better version just to give slightly more attention to the nostalgia version.
I think this is a pretty different case. Banjo remaster came out 13+ years ago on Xbox and been available since, so it becoming available again another way isn't such a big deal. It also isn't currently/recently in development, so porting it would be a whole new thing versus a modern GoldenEye remaster which could be built towards multiplatform from the start.

I think this is a pretty different case. Banjo remaster came out 13+ years ago on Xbox and been available since, so it becoming available again another way isn't such a big deal. It also isn't currently/recently in development, so porting it would be a whole new thing versus a modern GoldenEye remaster which could be built towards multiplatform from the start.
That's true but the point there is Nintendo being ok with the re-release being NSO N64 app only.

And not to mention that the original version of Banjo-Kazooie holds up fine for what it is. Obviously the 360 version is better, but overall the N64 version doesn't feel nearly as outclassed by it as the original Goldeneye would be in comparison to the remaster.

That's true but the point there is Nintendo being ok with the re-release being NSO N64 app only.
but Nintendo has no control over Banjo. MS apparently needs them in order to release this remaster of GE, so Nintendo can make sure it's on their console as well. BK was just solely owned by MS at this point and Nintendo has no cards to play.

Hopefully we find out soon either way.

Nintendo has published many third party games' Switch versions--I'm sure they could do that with a GoldenEye remaster too if it was a sticking point. Specifically rejecting any remastered version seems like shooting oneself in the foot, leaving MS with the better version just to give slightly more attention to the nostalgia version.
I’m not saying it’s a sticking point, I’m saying that’s not what Nintendo wants for N64 games, so if they have the choice (and they would), they’d prefer to put the N64 ROM on NSO.

They have newer remasters/codebases for several N64 games already (Mario, Zelda, Star Fox) and they didn’t port those. Just ROMs. Same with Banjo.

I’m not saying it’s a sticking point, I’m saying that’s not what Nintendo wants for N64 games, so if they have the choice (and they would), they’d prefer to put the N64 ROM on NSO.

They have newer remasters/codebases for several N64 games already (Mario, Zelda, Star Fox) and they didn’t port those. Just ROMs. Same with Banjo.
That's just how the apps work. Kind of like how they didn't port the Mario All-Stars versions of the Mario games to the NES app, because they're not on NES. They then ported them with the SNES app. Nintendo can add a DS or 3DS app for the games you mentioned, but they aren't going to add any Xbox apps to get Goldeneye. If Nintendo does in fact have a choice, there is no way they're going to go with a far inferior version that will absolutely be much less popular. It's possible they end up doing both however.

Oh I know about licenses and everything. Nintendo itself own the game but without the license it's nothing they cannot re-release the game. Microsoft and Rare tried to remaster the game for Xbox 360 but since Nintendo is the sole owner of the game they blocked the re-release stating "A Nintendo game cannot appear on other consoles". (that person was believed to be Iwata). Nintendo never bothered to negotiate with EON again for a re-release, might have thought it wasn't worth it but by the looks of it they do now.

Same situation as Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Nintendo (and maybe Kotec) own only the third game and Activision the first two. Disney owns the license. Activision license expired and those two games yanked from storefronts. Nintendo cannot bring them back as they are owned by Acti. They need to negotiate with Disney for a potential re-release.

I don't believe Nintendo is the sole owner of Goldeneye. Putting things like licenses and actor likenesses aside, right now it would be co-owned between Nintendo and Microsoft. If you look at the back of the box which somebody posted above, you see that it says "Nintendo/Rare". At the time the game was co-owned by Nintendo and Rare. When Rare was bought out, Nintendo, gave Rare full ownership of their original franchises that they originally had co-ownership of (Banjo, Killer Instinct, etc). Goldeneye, being not an original Nintendo or Rare franchise, stayed split.

This co-ownership is why the game, assuming it truly is coming to modern platforms, would be on both Switch and Xbox. If Nintendo truly was the sole owner of Goldeneye, they wouldn't have to deal with Microsoft at all. They could simply pay the required licensing fees and farm out a Switch only release to a developer of their choice. Xbox would not be in the equation whatsoever if Nintendo was the sole owner. But with the co-ownership situation, neither party can do anything with the game without approval from the other. Microsoft can't release it on Xbox without approval from Nintendo, and Nintendo can't release it on Switch without approval from Microsoft. It seems likely that a condition for Goldeneye's return is that it appear on both Switch and Xbox.

As for Marvel Ultimate Alliance... Marvel (Disney) owns the "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" brand themselves, while Activision is co-owner of the original two, and Nintendo is co-owner of the third. Koei-Tecmo was the developer of the third but holds no ownership over it whatsoever.

That's just how the apps work. Kind of like how they didn't port the Mario All-Stars versions of the Mario games to the NES app, because they're not on NES. They then ported them with the SNES app. Nintendo can add a DS or 3DS app for the games you mentioned, but they aren't going to add any Xbox apps to get Goldeneye. If Nintendo does in fact have a choice, there is no way they're going to go with a far inferior version that will absolutely be much less popular. It's possible they end up doing both however.
I don't understand your point here with the apps. No, they can't bring SNES games to the NES app or add an Xbox app. My point was about how we keep expecting things for no reason that Nintendo never delivers.

Here's the thing. The enthusiasts on the Internet (this forum, twitter, youtube) always assume the most generous offering that Nintendo could possibly provide. But Nintendo never does that, do they? We hear that classic mario games are coming back for the 35th anniversary, we expect Super Mario 64 HD in the Odyssey engine on eShop. Instead, they wrap 3 3D mario games in emulators for $60. We're convinced a double pack of Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD is coming. They announce Skyward Sword HD for $60, plus Joy-Con and Amiibo. We expect HD ports of OoT 3D and Majora's Mask 3D. They add the N64 ROMs to the $50/year NSO Expansion Pack. Banjo-Kazooie runs on Xbox in 4K and Switch players get the N64 ROM on NSO.

They have shown us and told us time and time again how they want to offer classic games. Why does everyone keep thinking they're going to give us $20 HD remasters on the eShop?

Edit: Also, there is zero information pointing to Nintendo doing anything. There's an Xbox achievement leak, and that's it.

I think anyone who expected a Mario 64 Remake on the eShop in 2020; when the rumors were specfically that we were getting a 64 / Sunshine / Galaxy collection; was setting themselves up for major disappointment for absolutely no reason. I do recall some doubting the collection aspect of the rumor too, though.

There's no chance of GoldenEye releasing on Xbox with Nintendo getting nothing out of it. I agree that Nintendo may want the original on NSO for nostalgia + N64 controller support; but nothing is stopping the remaster from making it over to Switch too. It'd fit right in with the Turok and Doom 64 remasters.

I don't understand your point here with the apps. No, they can't bring SNES games to the NES app or add an Xbox app. My point was about how we keep expecting things for no reason that Nintendo never delivers.

Here's the thing. The enthusiasts on the Internet (this forum, twitter, youtube) always assume the most generous offering that Nintendo could possibly provide. But Nintendo never does that, do they? We hear that classic mario games are coming back for the 35th anniversary, we expect Super Mario 64 HD in the Odyssey engine on eShop. Instead, they wrap 3 3D mario games in emulators for $60. We're convinced a double pack of Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD is coming. They announce Skyward Sword HD for $60, plus Joy-Con and Amiibo. We expect HD ports of OoT 3D and Majora's Mask 3D. They add the N64 ROMs to the $50/year NSO Expansion Pack. Banjo-Kazooie runs on Xbox in 4K and Switch players get the N64 ROM on NSO.

They have shown us and told us time and time again how they want to offer classic games. Why does everyone keep thinking they're going to give us $20 HD remasters on the eShop?

Edit: Also, there is zero information pointing to Nintendo doing anything. There's an Xbox achievement leak, and that's it.
My point about the apps is that they're simply putting N64 games on the N64 app. You're saying they have superior versions of Mario 64 (def not superior), Zelda OoT and Star Fox, not a single person expects those games on the N64 app because they're DS and 3DS games. Those will come to their respective apps if/when they arrive.

All of the things you mentioned are not things I ever expected or asked for (was anyone expecting Mario 64 in the Odyssey engine?). My expectations for Nintendo have always been pretty realistic. You named some things you apparently expected and got the short end of the stick. Did anyone expect we'd get NES and SNES apps along with Tetris 99, Pac-man 99 and the NSO vouchers for 20 dollars a year? Cause that's a pretty amazing value to me. Sometimes they disappoint, sometimes they don't.

The difference between GE and everything you mentioned is that, like you said, there is an Xbox achievement list. It seems like MS, not Nintendo, are the ones making the moves. If Nintendo does in fact have a say, they wont choose an N64 ROM over a GE remaster. MS releasing a game on the eshop is drastically different than Nintendo doing a full Mario 64 remake in a new engine.

As stated above, Turok and Doom remasters are both on Switch and not the N64 app.

Plopping SM64, Zelda, Star Fox into an emulator is much easier than porting DS/3DS versions back to Switch, yes. But they also weren't allowing Microsoft to develop and release competing 2020s versions while rejecting a multiplatform release of them.

We’ll see. Nobody here knows what will happen. It’s all guess work. Personally I have a hard time believing Nintendo would be happy allowing Microsoft to release a far superior version of Goldeneye that gets all the attention while Nintendo are stuck with a rom.

My point about the apps is that they're simply putting N64 games on the N64 app. You're saying they have superior versions of Mario 64 (def not superior), Zelda OoT and Star Fox, not a single person expects those games on the N64 app because they're DS and 3DS games. Those will come to their respective apps if/when they arrive.

All of the things you mentioned are not things I ever expected or asked for (was anyone expecting Mario 64 in the Odyssey engine?). My expectations for Nintendo have always been pretty realistic. You named some things you apparently expected and got the short end of the stick. Did anyone expect we'd get NES and SNES apps along with Tetris 99, Pac-man 99 and the NSO vouchers for 20 dollars a year? Cause that's a pretty amazing value to me. Sometimes they disappoint, sometimes they don't.

I think you and I agree on expectations. I never expected those things, but people routinely expect the world from Nintendo, especially when it comes to classics. Nintendo has been consistent on how they treat those games lately. They don't do bargain digital versions of their classic games (like Doom or Turok did). They don't really do collections either. They either do $60 remasters/remakes (and those are major releases) or they put the ROMs on NSO. I wouldn't expect Nintendo to do full remaster treatment of GoldenEye (even if they had the rights) when the rest of their classic N64 games didn't get that treatment and just got ROMs. But, as you say, MS is making the moves...

The difference between GE and everything you mentioned is that, like you said, there is an Xbox achievement list. It seems like MS, not Nintendo, are the ones making the moves. If Nintendo does in fact have a say, they wont choose an N64 ROM over a GE remaster. MS releasing a game on the eshop is drastically different than Nintendo doing a full Mario 64 remake in a new engine.

This is where I disagree. Nintendo, as a business, has a lot of reasons to prefer the N64 ROM over Microsoft releasing an HD remaster:

1. It sells NSO Expansion Pack. Increasing subscriptions is a clear benefit to Nintendo over selling the title where Microsoft gets the lion's share.
2. Development costs are minimal
3. Online multiplayer and voice chat are already built into the NSO app. We know these aren't great implementations but they will still advertise it as modern and online.
4. They'll sell more N64 controllers (assuming they can make them), and can position this as a strength - get the authentic experience.
5. The number of people that actually care about the difference is small. And how much do they care?

As stated above, Turok and Doom remasters are both on Switch and not the N64 app.

Those aren't Rare games and Nintendo has no claim on them. Microsoft has an Xbox version of Banjo-Kazooie, and Switch got the N64 ROM. This just happened, I don't see why GoldenEye would be much different.

We’ll see. Nobody here knows what will happen. It’s all guess work. Personally I have a hard time believing Nintendo would be happy allowing Microsoft to release a far superior version of Goldeneye that gets all the attention while Nintendo are stuck with a rom.

If they're happy with ROMs for Mario, Zelda, Banjo, and everything else in NSO, I don't think that's a big problem for them.

I think you and I agree on expectations. I never expected those things, but people routinely expect the world from Nintendo, especially when it comes to classics. Nintendo has been consistent on how they treat those games lately. They don't do bargain digital versions of their classic games (like Doom or Turok did). They don't really do collections either. They either do $60 remasters/remakes (and those are major releases) or they put the ROMs on NSO. I wouldn't expect Nintendo to do full remaster treatment of GoldenEye (even if they had the rights) when the rest of their classic N64 games didn't get that treatment and just got ROMs. But, as you say, MS is making the moves...

This is where I disagree. Nintendo, as a business, has a lot of reasons to prefer the N64 ROM over Microsoft releasing an HD remaster:

1. It sells NSO Expansion Pack. Increasing subscriptions is a clear benefit to Nintendo over selling the title where Microsoft gets the lion's share.
2. Development costs are minimal
3. Online multiplayer and voice chat are already built into the NSO app. We know these aren't great implementations but they will still advertise it as modern and online.
4. They'll sell more N64 controllers (assuming they can make them), and can position this as a strength - get the authentic experience.
5. The number of people that actually care about the difference is small. And how much do they care?

Those aren't Rare games and Nintendo has no claim on them. Microsoft has an Xbox version of Banjo-Kazooie, and Switch got the N64 ROM. This just happened, I don't see why GoldenEye would be much different.
We might have similar expectations. I'm not expecting Nintendo to DEVELOP the Switch version of Goldeneye, I'm expecting MS to do it. If Nintendo has to do it then I'd agree they'd go with the NSO version because that's within the scope of what they're willing to do.

I would argue a huge amount of people care about the difference though, it's going to be incredible hard for many people to play Goldene today with the old control scheme, and if there is a newer, better option available somewhere else, many will go to that. Isn't this why Nintendo shut down the remaster in the first place? Because Xbox would get a superior version? Put it this way, if both the NSO version and the remaster released, almost everyone who wants to play it, even people that already own the NSO + expansion pass, would buy the remaster.

The difference between Banjo-Kazooie and Goldeneye is that Nintendo has no say in what happens with BK. Nintendo had to ask MS to rerelease this. Apparently MS needs Nintendo's permission for the GE remaster to be released on their own console. If that's true, Nintendo can agree with the stipulation that it's also on Switch. IF Nintendo really has that much sway in this equation, there is no way they opt for the rom dump.

I would argue a huge amount of people care about the difference though, it's going to be incredible hard for many people to play Goldene today with the old control scheme, and if there is a newer, better option available somewhere else, many will go to that.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that :). Lots of games play better on Xbox. There's N64 games on Switch that have better versions on other Nintendo platforms. There are games on Switch that played better on Wii U.

Isn't this why Nintendo shut down the remaster in the first place? Because Xbox would get a superior version? Put it this way, if both the NSO version and the remaster released, almost everyone who wants to play it, even people that already own the NSO + expansion pass, would buy the remaster.

We don't know for sure why the XBLA remaster never came out on the 360. It was 15 years ago and a lot has changed. If there was a dispute over ROM vs remaster features, that could have been about graphics, controls, multiplayer, achievements, whatever. Maybe one of those was more important than the others. Here's my theory - Nintendo didn't have an issue about the graphics and controls (it was the Wii era) but they absolutely wanted to have online multiplayer and couldn't build that into N64 VC. Again, just a theory. Today, 15 years later, they have online multiplayer built into all their NSO emulators, so that's one aspect that's different.

The difference between Banjo-Kazooie and Goldeneye is that Nintendo has no say in what happens with BK. Nintendo had to ask MS to rerelease this. Apparently MS needs Nintendo's permission for the GE remaster to be released on their own console. If that's true, Nintendo can agree with the stipulation that it's also on Switch. IF Nintendo really has that much sway in this equation, there is no way they opt for the rom dump.

I'd love to be wrong but I believe Nintendo wants their biggest N64 games on their N64 subscription service.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that :). Lots of games play better on Xbox. There's N64 games on Switch that have better versions on other Nintendo platforms. There are games on Switch that played better on Wii U.
No one owns a Wii U and not one will buy it to play N64 games. Switch is their current console, so that's what people will play. Tons of games do play better on Xbox (and PS) and many of those games outsell their Switch counterparts. Games where performance isn't a big issue seem to do better on Switch (like indie games) and bigger games trend in the other direction.

We also have no idea how successful the N64 app actually is, so we can't say for sure people are rushing out to use it over whatever else. Still, I'd much rather play the N64 versions of the games you mentioned anyway (aside Banjo) cause I can do so on my TV and because Mario 64 is way better than the DS version. Switch vs DS is a big difference compared to Switch vs a modern competing platform like Xbox.

I'd also love for you to be wrong, cause I think we all agree it's the better option. I think most gamers would. Which is why I think a lot of people care about the difference. GE has aged far more than any other big N64 game. Going back to those controls will be VERY difficult for most gamers. If GE comes out on only the NSO app for Switch as well as Xbox, I promise you the Xbox version would be far far more popular.

Hopefully we find out soon. I intend to play the remaster however it releases, but I'd prefer it on Switch.

No one owns a Wii U and not one will buy it to play N64 games. Switch is their current console, so that's what people will play. Tons of games do play better on Xbox (and PS) and many of those games outsell their Switch counterparts. Games where performance isn't a big issue seem to do better on Switch (like indie games) and bigger games trend in the other direction.

I think you're over-reading what I'm saying. I didn't say anyone would buy a Wii U to play N64 games. I meant some games (Pikmin 3, Mario Maker) offered a better experience playing on Wii U than they do on Switch. Nintendo knows those games were better suited to the Wii U, but they also know the Switch is more popular and portable. So they adapt the gameplay to the Switch, get them the experience to an acceptable level, and sell a ton of copies. They don't have to have the best possible version of every game they bring over (and they wouldn't with GoldenEye), they just want something that works well enough on their platform.

I think you're over-reading what I'm saying. I didn't say anyone would buy a Wii U to play N64 games. I meant some games (Pikmin 3, Mario Maker) offered a better experience playing on Wii U than they do on Switch. Nintendo knows those games were better suited to the Wii U, but they also know the Switch is more popular and portable. So they adapt the gameplay to the Switch, get them the experience to an acceptable level, and sell a ton of copies. They don't have to have the best possible version of every game they bring over (and they wouldn't with GoldenEye), they just want something that works well enough on their platform.
Yeah I thought you were referring to what people wanted to play rather than what Nintendo was willing to do.

I also think this is different because Pikmin 3 and Mario Maker were better because of the controller. Nintendo isn't choosing a lesser experience just to do it, they have to work with the console they're on. In the case of Goldeneye, there is nothing in the remaster that the Switch can't do. If Nintendo is the one that has to handle the port, I agree with you that we wont get the remaster. If MS is the one that has to handle the port, I think Nintendo would much prefer this version.

I think we agree on the amount of effort Nintendo is willing to put in, which we both think is minimal (and I'm ok with that as I'd rather they just make new games). I guess we disagree on how Nintendo views this remaster. If they have enough sway to get it without developing it, Id say there is 0 chance they'd opt for the much worse version over that.

I think we agree on the amount of effort Nintendo is willing to put in, which we both think is minimal (and I'm ok with that as I'd rather they just make new games). I guess we disagree on how Nintendo views this remaster. If they have enough sway to get it without developing it, Id say there is 0 chance they'd opt for the much worse version over that.
Fair enough. I think we agree that both Nintendo and Microsoft will decide what's best for their business, but I still think that when it comes to N64 games Nintendo would rather use them to drive $50/year subscriptions to NSO.

@NateDrake Grubb seems to think an announcement will be made by Microsoft in the next couple of weeks, is that what you're hearing as well? Are you still 100% that Switch will get it in some form?

If we don’t hear anything by March 8th, then it will be some time between then and September, likely leaving it with an E3 announcement and possible August release date for the 25th anniversary.

If we don’t hear anything by March 8th, then it will be some time between then and September, likely leaving it with an E3 announcement and possible August release date for the 25th anniversary.
Is there something special about March 8? I'm not sure I follow. I mean, everything that happens will either be before March 8 or on/after it.

Is there something special about March 8? I'm not sure I follow. I mean, everything that happens will either be before March 8 or on/after it.

That’s the deadline for something to happen in accordance to the trademark filings. Otherwise, they have to file for a second 6-month extension.

FYI Grubb thinks the announcement may of been delayed because of the Ukraine situation

I was suspecting this would happen. Thought about it a few days ago when I remembered a lot of the game took place in Russia. Just have to see what will happen.

I’d love a proper remaster on Switch too, but there’s a lot of questions with it that make me doubt Nintendo would pursue that route.

Who pays to develop a Switch version? Who publishes it? If Microsoft is developing/publishing and making the money, why would Nintendo let them do that on their own platform? Especially because people know it as an N64 game. if Nintendo is developing/publishing, why compete with your own NSO service? The obvious route for Nintendo is to put the already-developed rom on NSO and vastly increase subscriptions.

I think the most likely scenario is they worked out an agreement where Nintendo could get Rare N64 games on NSO and Microsoft could publish GoldenEye. Nintendo gets to say they have the original and will sell you $50 controllers for their $50 subscription. Microsoft gets to have their remaster. Both parties get what they want.

The answer to this I think is a third party developer, but deep down I firmly believe Nintendo and Microsoft came to an agreement that warranted renewing the license.

Remake/Remaster on Xbox and Original ROM on N64 is what I am banking on.
I think the most likely scenario is they worked out an agreement where Nintendo could get Rare N64 games on NSO and Microsoft could publish GoldenEye. Nintendo gets to say they have the original and will sell you $50 controllers for their $50 subscription. Microsoft gets to have their remaster. Both parties get what they want.

This x1000

Damn shame, but expected considering the sheer amount of stopgaps preventing previous attempts at re-releasing the game.

One final delay doesn't seem out of character.

FYI Grubb thinks the announcement may of been delayed because of the Ukraine situation

Exactly what I was thinking when Nintendo didn't announce March's N64 game when Majora's Mask released.
Imo, GoldenEye was supposed to be the March game, not F-Zero. That's why F-Zero got announced later than usual.

Exactly what I was thinking when Nintendo didn't announce March's N64 game when Majora's Mask released.
Imo, GoldenEye was supposed to be the March game, not F-Zero. That's why F-Zero got announced later than usual.
Nintendo's social media went dark early into the invasion. I have no doubt that F-Zero was always the intended releases.

Back
Top Bottom