• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour An Xbox One achievement list for Goldeneye 007 (!!!) has been added to Microsoft's servers

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
Picked up by 2 achievement scraping websites, Exophase and Trueachievements.
jj37j4.png

It's not the same lineup as the cancelled 360 version, as downloadable titles on that system only had 200 points. While this is the full 1000. and it has the higher res images that games on the Xbox One used.
To recap....
  • Rare recorded several videos for the game intended for Rare Replay, these were uploaded to an employee's Youtube channel and were removed. Seemingly due to Microsoft (or Nintendo) contacting him.
  • Danjaq, the owners of the Bond IP. renewed the trademark for Goldeneye in April of this year.
  • Nintendo filed a successful claim for Germany to take the game off of their BPjm list of banned games. This is normally automated after 25 years, so the fact they did it early is suspicious.
The fact this is finally happening is a massive deal in terms of game preservation, as it shows that even the most restrictive licensing situations can be resolved.

Or is it the final bombshell of 2021?
Imagine being this stuck in the past. #AussieGang

Anyway, back to talking about the game from 1997. GoldenEye is 100% Switch-bound, but I wonder if that'll be through NSO or an individual release. Nintendo's involvement is clear, though; not just because of the stake they have over the game, but because unlike the leaked XBLA Version this release maintains the name DK Mode.

IMG_6882.png

Anyway, back to talking about the game from 1997. GoldenEye is 100% Switch-bound, but I wonder if that'll be through NSO or an individual release. Nintendo's involvement is clear, though; not just because of the stake they have over the game, but because unlike the leaked XBLA Version this release maintains the name DK Mode.

IMG_6882.png

Also, the achievement named "A Treehouse Favorite" seems like a clear Nintendo nod.

Also, the achievement named "A Treehouse Favorite" seems like a clear Nintendo nod.
"Atmosphere, 90s Style" Complete Jungle on any difficulty sounds like a cool nod as well. Really cool to see these two companies work together and embrace RAREs legacy like this.

I'd be pissed if Switch gets a ROM dump on NSO and Xbox gets a remastered, widescreen and online version. Make it a native game and crossplay with Xbox version. And add more characters to the multiplayer, I wanna be Safin.

Please be separate of the N64 service. Please be separate of the N64 service. Please be separate of the N64 service!

Please be separate of the N64 service. Please be separate of the N64 service. Please be separate of the N64 service!
It’ll have to be. It’d be a cruel joke if Microsoft gets an HD port with modern controls and Switch gets the (comparatively) unplayable N64 version.

I'd be very very shocked if Nintendo allowed those achievements to stay as-is. They're very strict about their properties being referenced on other platforms.

That being said though? I'd be ecstatic to finally see Goldeneye get a re-release! Hopefully we get the original AND the remaster...

I guess Jeff Grubb said Xbox/PC gets the remastered version and Switch only gets the original version on NSO? Horrible deal for Nintendo if true.

Someone on XboxEra linked Grubb’s Twitch stream where he said so. I’m bad at links on my phone. Sorry.

It’ll have to be. It’d be a cruel joke if Microsoft gets an HD port with modern controls and Switch gets the (comparatively) unplayable N64 version.
I'm guessing Xbox players will be getting the N64 ROM emulated as well, just with now an Achievement implementation; that way both sides gets the same deal and it adds to the NSO value

I'm guessing Xbox players will be getting the N64 ROM emulated as well, just with now an Achievement implementation; that way both sides gets the same deal and it adds to the NSO value
I can’t see that. Xbox will surely get the remaster that was already completed for Xbox 360. If they don’t, it makes me wonder why they couldn’t negotiate EVERYONE getting the remaster. Literally no one wins in that scenario if all we get is the N64 version and a already-completed version just sits there.

I really hope it's not just a ROM dump on Xbox. It would be too cruel for that remaster to just sit there almost complete forever.

I like how the NintendoLife article about this is full of declarative statements that absolutely haven't been proven yet. Horrible website.

I can’t see that. Xbox will surely get the remaster that was already completed for Xbox 360. If they don’t, it makes me wonder why they couldn’t negotiate EVERYONE getting the remaster. Literally no one wins in that scenario if all we get is the N64 version and a already-completed version just sits there.
well.. no matter how it ends, I think it will be the same version for both sides; And considering Nintendo has a N64 app to sell, it's a factor worth considering.

I expect Xbox to get the remaster and Switch to get the original on the NSO app, exactly the same way as Banjo Kazooie.
But I also won't be surprised if Switch also get the remaster while the OG skip NSO, it's not just Microsoft and Nintendo being involved after all, Danjaq might prefer for it to also be sold on Switch instead of only being part of a subscription system.

But anyway, so far I'm expecting it to be NSO 64 on Switch, and the completed but never released remaster on Xbox. And I'm ok with that personally, I'm just happy it'll officially come back !

I dunno team, I almost feel like for Nintendo, the real value of this would be having a N64 Switch Online Version.

They want to draw as many people as possible to their high tier subscription service, and what better way to do it than with one of N64’s most iconic games.

The monthly subscription fee, paid by each user multiple times to keep access, with the draw of online multiplayer, and seemingly the opportunity to get other Rare games on the service would probably be worth more to them long term than getting a cut of an upgraded version on the eshop.

Of course, the ideal situation here is both versions become available on NSO and the eshop, but In my eyes, they NSO route is most profitable for Nintendo

Microsoft getting the remaster and Nintendo getting the original is no different than the other Rare games coming to NSO. You’re not getting the Banjo remaster this month, either… you’re getting the original Banjo. Nintendo’s entire purpose with NSO is playing the original games as they were before. Good news though… you’ll still be able to play Goldeneye online thanks to their emulation. So there’s that.

I dunno team, I almost feel like for Nintendo, the real value of this would be having a N64 Switch Online Version.

They want to draw as many people as possible to their high tier subscription service, and what better way to do it than with one of N64’s most iconic games.

The monthly subscription fee, paid by each user multiple times to keep access, with the draw of online multiplayer, and seemingly the opportunity to get other Rare games on the service would probably be worth more to them long term than getting a cut of an upgraded version on the eshop.

Of course, the ideal situation here is both versions become available on NSO and the eshop, but In my eyes, they NSO route is most profitable for Nintendo

That's a very good point. They did just launch the high-priced N64 tier of their service, and still need to add value to it. If they're going to have GoldenEye on Switch, it would sure be puzzling if it's not part of that.

I expect Xbox to get the remaster and Switch to get the original on the NSO app, exactly the same way as Banjo Kazooie.
But I also won't be surprised if Switch also get the remaster while the OG skip NSO, it's not just Microsoft and Nintendo being involved after all, Danjaq might prefer for it to also be sold on Switch instead of only being part of a subscription system.

But anyway, so far I'm expecting it to be NSO 64 on Switch, and the completed but never released remaster on Xbox. And I'm ok with that personally, I'm just happy it'll officially come back !
It will surely come out in the eshop as an independent paid game, as it happened with the translated NES FE.
For the simple cost of what it means to pay the film license.

Another note… I believe the game has to release before March or they have to file for another six month extension with the USPTO.

Please. For the love of God, release the remaster in xbone and switch.

And don't give me that virtual console N64 bullshit, Nintendo.

You already know what I’m about to say… loved the game back in the day, but if whatever they’re dropping doesn’t have gyro, I’m not touching it

I’m still not over the fact that Xbox Series controllers don’t have gyro at all.

You already know what I’m about to say… loved the game back in the day, but if whatever they’re dropping doesn’t have gyro, I’m not touching it

I’m still not over the fact that Xbox Series controllers don’t have gyro at all.
I would love for microsoft to release a gyro controller. But im just happy we will get to play golden eye again, with dual analogue controls even! This time without the need for two n64 controllers. If it is indeed a multiplatform release on switch and xbox, i hope there is cross play!

With you! I would take Gyro over rumble any day.

As much as I loved the game back on the N64, I can't see myself going back to it other for a few rounds of MP with buddies and then never touch it again.
Althoigh that would be a few very very fun evenings soooo why not

This. I’m absolutely not expecting the remaster. This is a big NSO get for them, nothing more

I think this will be an eshop release because I doubt that the Nintendo related achievements would only be part of the Xbox version.

This. I’m absolutely not expecting the remaster. This is a big NSO get for them, nothing more
NSO might need something like Goldeneye, but Goldenseye sure doesn't need NSO. As others said, this NEEDS to have gyro. Goldeneye had that hard to get used to N64 FPS controls and it needs a Turok like remaster to modernize them. And also a proper online mode.

NSO might need something like Goldeneye, but Goldenseye sure doesn't need NSO. As others said, this NEEDS to have gyro. Goldeneye had that hard to get used to N64 FPS controls and it needs a Turok like remaster to modernize them. And also a proper online mode.

Goldeneye really doesn’t ‘need’ gyro and I love gyro. Aiming is incredibly easy in that game even on harder difficulties.

Goldeneye really doesn’t ‘need’ gyro and I love gyro. Aiming is incredibly easy in that game even on harder difficulties.

IIRC the auto-aim very aggressively locks to torsos and you can only really override it by holding R and standing in place. Not really ideal imo.

IIRC the auto-aim very aggressively locks to torsos and you can only really override it by holding R and standing in place. Not really ideal imo.

The entire game is designed around it. You’re judging it by how FPS games work today rather than how Goldeneye works and plays.

Back
Top Bottom