• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour An Xbox One achievement list for Goldeneye 007 (!!!) has been added to Microsoft's servers

NSO might need something like Goldeneye, but Goldenseye sure doesn't need NSO. As others said, this NEEDS to have gyro. Goldeneye had that hard to get used to N64 FPS controls and it needs a Turok like remaster to modernize them. And also a proper online mode.
Not to single you out specifically, but it's quite a leap to declare what a Switch remake of GoldenEye NEEDS when there's absolutely zero evidence that such a project even exists. I think this is a case of a lot of wishful thinking that will lead to disappointment. These threads have a way of whipping rumors into expectations and then yelling at Nintendo when they don't deliver on things we dreamed up.

What we know is that Rare (owned by Microsoft) ported GoldenEye to Xbox 360 (as they did with Perfect Dark) and possibly they've also migrated that to Xbox One / Xbox Series (based on the achivements). We also know that Nintendo and Microsoft/Rare reached some agreement to get Rare N64 games on the Switch NSO service. But nobody's expecting a port of the 4K60 Rare Replay version of Banjo-Kazooie on Switch - it'll just be the N64 ROM. The game people remember. If GoldenEye comes to Switch, it'll be the same way.

Give me the remaster that Rare developed during the 360 days and just a straight port of the N64 version

Banjo feels kinda different to me considering that it's now fully owned by Rare and Microsoft. Nintendo however still has some ownership of Goldeneye.

It just feels weird to me because I thought one of the reasons this was initially canceled was because 360 was gonna get the shiney remaster while Nintendo just got a simple ROM dump on Wii VC?

Not to single you out specifically, but it's quite a leap to declare what a Switch remake of GoldenEye NEEDS when there's absolutely zero evidence that such a project even exists. I think this is a case of a lot of wishful thinking that will lead to disappointment. These threads have a way of whipping rumors into expectations and then yelling at Nintendo when they don't deliver on things we dreamed up.
We're all talking hypothetically here but I assure you nobody wants to play Goldeneye with the ancient control scheme. It'll be even more painful if you don't use the NSO N64 controller... At least they need to "patch" the modern two stick FPS controls...

Also, rumors/shattered expectations are the life of a Switch owners, everybody gotta be used to it by now. Hell, I'm quite hyped about Mass Effect on Switch despite there are too little evidence that it exists...

It just feels weird to me because I thought one of the reasons this was initially canceled was because 360 was gonna get the shiney remaster while Nintendo just got a simple ROM dump on Wii VC?

I remember reading that speculation at the time but never thought it made much sense. If Nintendo wanted a shiny remastered version of GoldenEye for their console - they could pay someone to develop it. I can't imagine an agreement that would allow them to release the game on their platform but required that they only put out the old ROM.

I'm doubting the validity of that story, since everything i've seen indicates that Nintendo were actively going after getting GoldenEye on Virtual Console, as far back as late 2005 during planning for Wii's VC and as recently as the Wii U (where the deal would've been idential to the previous gen; Xbox gets the remaster via Rare Replay and Wii U gets it the original via a simple ROM dump).

We're all talking hypothetically here but I assure you nobody wants to play Goldeneye with the ancient control scheme. It'll be even more painful if you don't use the NSO N64 controller... At least they need to "patch" the modern two stick FPS controls...
I played it a couple years ago in an emulator with an SN30 Pro. I tried to map some of the dual stick options but when in crosshair-aiming mode it was always on the wrong stick. I went back to single analog and it was fine. The game was designed for that. It's not a modern control scheme but that's not what Nintendo is after. They're selling nostalgia.

Honest question…is Goldeneye still fun? Does it hold up? I haven’t played it in about 20 years…

I think the 360 remaster is dead and buried. I suspect that the N64 version will release on both Xbox and Switch, with online crossplay and Xbox Live login/achievements enabled on Switch (ala Minecraft).

I played it a couple years ago in an emulator with an SN30 Pro. I tried to map some of the dual stick options but when in crosshair-aiming mode it was always on the wrong stick. I went back to single analog and it was fine. The game was designed for that. It's not a modern control scheme but that's not what Nintendo is after. They're selling nostalgia.
Have you by chance played the Xbox 360 remaster of Perfect Dark? Microsoft put it in HD, widescreen, and added modern FPS controls to it and it was fantastic. They already gave Goldeneye the exact same treatment but Nintendo blocked its release. The game leaked over a year ago and is playable on 360 emulators. The modern remaster with modern controls already exists. Nintendo would have to deliberately choose not to give it to us in favor of bolstering NSO. We will lose in that scenario.

I think the 360 remaster is dead and buried. I suspect that the N64 version will release on both Xbox and Switch, with online crossplay and Xbox Live login/achievements enabled on Switch (ala Minecraft)
I’m not sure why the 360 remastered version would be “dead and buried” and then they go back to add online multiplayer and do all the work to the N64 original. The 360 remaster was build just like the Perfect Dark remaster which had online play. I just don’t see the reasoning behind Nintendo blocking the remaster and giving us a lesser experience with the original version. I can definitely see them doing something boneheaded like that though. I still stand by my notion that we all lose if the remaster isn’t the version released on all systems. It’s done. It’s created. It’s playable.

Last edited:
There's been plenty of Nintendo references in achievements before, that means nothing. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this though!

I honestly don't really think that Goldeneye needs a control revamp when it's literally had a modern feeling control scheme since the beginning. Set it to 1.2 Solitaire and uninvert the vertical axis (iirc) and it basically controls exactly like a modern fps sans the aiming. Even works on a modern controller with emulators if you set up the dpad or c buttons on your left stick and the analog stick to your right one, with L/R on your left trigger and Z on the right one.

Granted the XBLA version would feel even better to control but if the Switch only got the original N64 version it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I honestly don't really think that Goldeneye needs a control revamp when it's literally had a modern feeling control scheme since the beginning. Set it to 1.2 Solitaire and uninvert the vertical axis (iirc) and it basically controls exactly like a modern fps sans the aiming. Even works on a modern controller with emulators if you set up the dpad or c buttons on your left stick and the analog stick to your right one, with L/R on your left trigger and Z on the right one.

Granted the XBLA version would feel even better to control but if the Switch only got the original N64 version it wouldn't be the end of the world.
This, except for non inverted controls

what's wrong with you people

I wonder when they’ll announce this then, points to something in January probably

If it goes to NSO, the will kill any hope of crossplay. For that reason alone, I'll probably boot it up on my Xbox if anything

So if Nintendo filed a request for it to go off the blacklist of Germany (thinking about what kind of games come to market here these days the fact that it was on there makes me chuckle already), is this a favor they are doing for MS because they're on good terms (what with Ori & Co. on Switch) or because it's coming to NSO at the same time? Hmmmmm... (this thought has probably already been had by someone before me but still...)

Thought of something..

If this is indeed the XBLA version, it could be coming to Switch through the NSO, but not part of the N64 app; but a separated application that you can have access if you're a subscriber, similar to Tetris 99 and Pac-Man 99. That way is fine being the remastered version and you still add value to the Expansion Pack.

Thought of something..

If this is indeed the XBLA version, it could be coming to Switch through the NSO, but not part of the N64 app; but a separated application that you can have access if you're a subscriber, similar to Tetris 99 and Pac-Man 99. That way is fine being the remastered version and you still add value to the Expansion Pack.
Yeah it’d be a pretty big draw and we are about the time they add something like that

Thought of something..

This actually makes a ton of sense. Probably the best way to handle my. People with the Expansion Pak get free access despite it not being an NSO N64 game.

Have you by chance played the Xbox 360 remaster of Perfect Dark? Microsoft put it in HD, widescreen, and added modern FPS controls to it and it was fantastic. They already gave Goldeneye the exact same treatment but Nintendo blocked its release. The game leaked over a year ago and is playable on 360 emulators.
Yes, I've played all of those - XBLA Perfect Dark, the N64 originals, and GoldenEye XBLA on Xenia. Personally I would love to have that on Switch. I see the value of it, but based on what Nintendo has done with N64 games lately, they don't.
The modern remaster with modern controls already exists. Nintendo would have to deliberately choose not to give it to us in favor of bolstering NSO. We will lose in that scenario.
This is 100% backwards. The modern remaster is an Xbox project. From Nintendo's perspective (the publisher making this decision), the part that already exists is the N64 ROM. They'd have to deliberately choose to pay for porting an Xbox game over adding the N64 game to their service. I'm assuming Rare didn't build a Switch version and give it to Nintendo to be nice.
I’m not sure why the 360 remastered version would be “dead and buried” and then they go back to add online multiplayer and do all the work to the N64 original. The 360 remaster was build just like the Perfect Dark remaster which had online play. I just don’t see the reasoning behind Nintendo blocking the remaster and giving us a lesser experience with the original version. I can definitely see them doing something boneheaded like that though. I still stand by my notion that we all lose if the remaster isn’t the version released on all systems. It’s done. It’s created. It’s playable.
There isn't any work to do to the N64 original. The work they do to add online multiplayer is in the emulator and it's done. Now it's not zero work. There may be some game-specific tweaks or bugs found in QA to fix, but compared to porting an Xbox 360 game and its online infrastructure, it's nothing.

Hype! I’ll probably be playing this to death again. I don’t even know how much hours I played the multiplayer mode but we played it daily for several years with friends.

The 360 remaster is from a different time. Microsoft likely has different ideas/priorities now.

I could see Switch getting both the original via NSO (subscriber incentive + nostalgia + compatibility with the N64 controller) and the remaster as a seperate purchase. Don't really think the remaster will be part of the NSO sub, but that'd be the best outcome.

Regardless, pretty obvious GoldenEye is Switch-bound, and likely PC too.

Andy Robinson (Video Games Chronicle) hinting a reveal could be happening in the next few weeks.

Hmmm.
The only other option that could be on the same level is No One Lives Forever, but i'd imagine Microsoft acquiring Activision could put a dent in negotiations for that.

He also posted a pic with a friend, that just so happens to wearing a watch with Goldeneye's UI on it. 🤔

Hmmm.
The only other option that could be on the same level is No One Lives Forever, but i'd imagine Microsoft acquiring Activision could put a dent in negotiations for that.

He also posted a pic with a friend, that just so happens to wearing a watch with Goldeneye's UI on it. 🤔

It is about the window for a Nintendo direct as well

Hmmm.

Honestly my first thought was Gex, though that other tweet with the Goldeneye watch is a bit more obvious.

Be nice if Goldeneye was finally revealed this early in the year
since NSO games have online play , 007 GoldenEye on that service would be the killer app for the service for many people.
I still tihnk $50 a year for the N64/Genesis and AC expansion pass access is way overpriced so Nintendo needs to get more content in ASAP.

since NSO games have online play , 007 GoldenEye on that service would be the killer app for the service for many people.
I still tihnk $50 a year for the N64/Genesis and AC expansion pass access is way overpriced so Nintendo needs to get more content in ASAP.

I like this but online is only among friends list. So how would the crossplay work if it was put on the app and not it's own game.

I like this but online is only among friends list. So how would the crossplay work if it was put on the app and not it's own game.
i dont know if crossplay can work, just thinking along the lines of online play with friends unless they are doing something else with this game that allows from crossplay.

Maybe they could just let the remaster exist as a standalone purchasable product, but also have the original N64 rom available in NSO.

Best of both worlds, kinda like how Xbox has the definitive HD version of Banjo-Kazooie while Switch has the original "pure" N64 version, except in this case the HD remaster for Goldeneye would exist on both consoles, alongside the N64 version on NSO.

Last edited:
Maybe they could just let the remaster exist as a standalone purchasable product, but also have the original N64 rom available in NSO.

Best of both worlds, kinda like how Xbox has the definitive HD version of Banjo-Kazooie while Switch has the original "pure" N64 version, except in this case the HD remaster for Goldeneye would exist on both consoles, alongside the N64 version on NSO.

I’d love to see both options, but I’d bet Nintendo ruled it out long ago.

They launched the NSO expansion pack recently and need more games. If they can add GE to it, that would make the service more valuable and surely drive subscriptions. But if there’s also a standalone HD remaster (from a third party) that looks and plays better, that makes the NSO offering less valuable.

They delisted Mario 3D All-Stars 6 months before launching N64 NSO, probably to avoid a similar situation.

Thankfully Barbara Broccoli and EON have finally been convinced of the value of gaming and are adopting an approach more like Disney is with Star Wars and Marvel games (see them giving the licence to iO for Bond instead EA/Acti/noone and now bringing back GoldenEye)

It's gonna be a part of NSO, so no.
Well that's the part I don't believe in : the Xbox One version have achivements.
NSO ROM implementation are done by N.E.R.D., a french team who work for Nintendo and Nintendo only. Look at their resumé :

How on Earth would the exact same game be a NSO release on Switch and a complete separate game on Xbox One with achivements ?

How on Earth would the exact same game be a NSO release on Switch and a complete separate game on Xbox One with achivements ?
Are you really surprised? We're Switch owners, we're used to getting screwed over. Expect the worst for Goldeneye on Switch. Xbox getting the real deal and us Switch owners getting stuck with basically a rom dump (with online, of course) is a very possible scenario.

I'm still betting it's a remaster (not the leaked XBLA version), part of the NSO subscription, but a separated download like Tetris 99, Super Mario Bros. 35 and Pac-Man 99. It will have all the features of from the cancelled remaster, gyro and cross-play with Xbox players (which will be on Gamepass and sold separeted);

I feel the chance of being just the N64 ROM is low, but even if it is, it still a big deal of this being re-released at all

Its gonna be wild to boot this game up on xbox and see a nintendo and microsoft splash screen before it starts

I don't think it'd be impossible for us to get both the original ROM and a remaster; though the latter would be a paid release on Switch.

I think (hope) we’ll get the old (NSO) and new (eshop).

Would be a bit crap for Nintendo if they were stuck with the old version while Xbox with the remaster got all the acclaim.
This disparity is one reason I was thinking Nintendo wasn't willing to play ball last time MS wanted to rerelease Goldeneye. Now the gap between remaster and emulation would be even bigger.

I think (hope) we’ll get the old (NSO) and new (eshop).

Would be a bit crap for Nintendo if they were stuck with the old version while Xbox with the remaster got all the acclaim.
I’d love a proper remaster on Switch too, but there’s a lot of questions with it that make me doubt Nintendo would pursue that route.

Who pays to develop a Switch version? Who publishes it? If Microsoft is developing/publishing and making the money, why would Nintendo let them do that on their own platform? Especially because people know it as an N64 game. if Nintendo is developing/publishing, why compete with your own NSO service? The obvious route for Nintendo is to put the already-developed rom on NSO and vastly increase subscriptions.

I think the most likely scenario is they worked out an agreement where Nintendo could get Rare N64 games on NSO and Microsoft could publish GoldenEye. Nintendo gets to say they have the original and will sell you $50 controllers for their $50 subscription. Microsoft gets to have their remaster. Both parties get what they want.

Back
Top Bottom