• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour An Xbox One achievement list for Goldeneye 007 (!!!) has been added to Microsoft's servers

Not an expert, but I believe the issue with this game in the past was that all parties (Nintendo, Rare, Bond Licensors) had to cooperate. So, in that case, yes!
EON, owners of the movie / game / toys / everything Bond related IP, is the one who says yes or no. So I still don't get why Nintendo should be bothered with this.

For all we know, this is a Xbox One game.

EON, owners of the movie / game / toys / everything Bond related IP, is the one who says yes or no. So I still don't get why Nintendo should be bothered with this.

That's right, EON completely owns the game, neither Nintendo or Microsoft have a say in the decision. It's all up to them. They were the one who decided on remaster and will be published by a publisher of their choosing. Most likely their current owners: Amazon.

Nintendo got the game off the ban list in Germany this year, they’re involved

That's right, EON completely owns the game, neither Nintendo or Microsoft have a say in the decision. It's all up to them. They were the one who decided on remaster and will be published by a publisher of their choosing. Most likely their current owners: Amazon.
Eon Productions is a private company, Amazon doesn't own them. Nintendo and Microsoft definitely have some stake in the game.

Eon Productions is a private company, Amazon doesn't own them. Nintendo and Microsoft definitely have some stake in the game.
Yeah, that part needs some clarification. How can Amazon have all the 007 movies if they don't own EON, who controls everything about 007? If they're not owned by MGM/Amazon they can take 007 elsewhere when their deal runs out.

Edit: A quick search informed me that the ownership status of the franchise is all over the place. Some movie rights are co owned by MGM/WB. Craig ones are owned by MGM/Sony and the last one is MGM/Comcast. As long as Amazon owns MGM, they got to decide where the movies go. But that doesn't explain the ownership of the games.

Yeah, that part needs some clarification. How can Amazon have all the 007 movies if they don't own EON, who controls everything about 007? If they're not owned by MGM/Amazon they can take 007 elsewhere when their deal runs out.
Not sure what the Bond arrangement looks like between MGM and Eon but I'd personally like it if Eon parted ways with them at some point in the future and took Bond with them. Bezos suck so seeing him take an L would be nice.

Basically, EON owns the IP, Nintendo and Rare the game. It's similar to Bayonetta 2, where SEGA owns the IP and Nintendo the game.

What exactly does Nintendo own and what exactly does Rare own? We don't know, but the game can be re-released only if the three parties come to an agreement.

Last time we also add a fourth party -- Activision, who had the Bond IP videogames license from EON.

Not sure what the Bond arrangement looks like between MGM and Eon but I'd personally like it if Eon parted ways with them at some point in the future and took Bond with them. Bezos suck so seeing him take an L would be nice.
That would complicate things even further though. Remember, when EON's and MGM's deal with WB ran out, WB did their own licensed Bond movie with some content exclusive to their license. EON couldn't get their hands on Spectre back for years to come.

Not sure if EON wants a license war with Amazon.

Achievements now publicly viewable on the Microsoft Store, descriptions have been slightly updated.
Turns out these achievements are now viewable on the public store page.
Not just this, actually.
They also updated the text for a few of them.
J5nLFaV.png

hY0vrpJ.png

Should be revealed in a week. I'd imagine.
I'm glad the long road to rescuing the game is finally over, and that i was able to partially contribute by providing documentation on it's history (By researching how the game almost made it into Rare Replay.) 🙏
It's nice to have a small high point in my legacy, after everything that happened.

Edit: A quick search informed me that the ownership status of the franchise is all over the place. Some movie rights are co owned by MGM/WB. Craig ones are owned by MGM/Sony and the last one is MGM/Comcast. As long as Amazon owns MGM, they got to decide where the movies go. But that doesn't explain the ownership of the games.

From my understanding, the holding company Danjaq is responsible for managing all film rights to James Bond. It's run by the same people who own Eon, who works with MGM to make the films.

As Goldeneye for N64 is based on the film, Danjaq needs to sign off on any re-release of the game. So the rights are split between Nintendo, Microsoft, and Danjaq.

I'm pretty sure I already explained the Nintendo and Microsoft connection earlier in this thread...

From my understanding, the holding company Danjaq is responsible for managing all film rights to James Bond. It's run by the same people who own Eon, who works with MGM to make the films.

As Goldeneye for N64 is based on the film, Danjaq needs to sign off on any re-release of the game. So the rights are split between Nintendo, Microsoft, and Danjaq.

I'm pretty sure I already explained the Nintendo and Microsoft connection earlier in this thread...

Yep. To quote Wikipedia on Danjaq, they are the “holding company responsible for the copyright and trademarks to the characters, elements, and other material related to James Bond on screen.” And as I believe I mentioned way earlier in this thread, it’s their filing of the trademark in early 2021 that basically confirmed the game would be coming back.

EON/Danjaq and MGM jointly own the franchise. EON has creative control over the production of the movies while MGM has distribution rights. MGM has partnered with other companies to release the latest movies because they had financial issues, but they ultimately owns the rights for distribution.

As far as video games, as far as I know, both EON and MGM have a say.

If it was just EON, this would have come out on 360 when it was supposed to.

Wow, looks like this is actually happening! But I've been hearing this rumor for so long I won't truly believe it until it's running on my console. Hoping for a day 1 Game Pass release since I just bought an Xbox, but I'll buy it if I have to.

Here is the link to the achievement page. You may need to log in to an Xbox account to view it. Aside from the achievement list, there are also some personal game stats - Multiplayer Games Played, Bullets Shot, Cheats Unlocked, Attempts at Facility on 00 Agent, Multiplayer Kills, Minutes Played.

I love the "That Music, Though..." title for beating Aztec. XD

Also, the "A Treehouse Classic" achievement is still listed, so a Switch release is still in play.

This is correct.

Here is the link to the achievement page. You may need to log in to an Xbox account to view it. Aside from the achievement list, there are also some personal game stats - Multiplayer Games Played, Bullets Shot, Cheats Unlocked, Attempts at Facility on 00 Agent, Multiplayer Kills, Minutes Played.

I love the "That Music, Though..." title for beating Aztec. XD

Also, the "A Treehouse Classic" achievement is still listed, so a Switch release is still in play.

This is correct.

Obvs it’s coming to Switch

Obvs it’s coming to Switch

I think the main question right now is in what form will Goldeneye release on Switch. Nintendo would definitely want a version available on Switch if Microsoft is going to have a remaster on Xbox. But will Switch get the remaster, or would today's Nintendo be happy enough with an NSO release of the original ROM?

I think the main question right now is in what form will Goldeneye release on Switch. Nintendo would definitely want a version available on Switch if Microsoft is going to have a remaster on Xbox. But will Switch get the remaster, or would today's Nintendo be happy enough with an NSO release of the original ROM?
Why not both.png

Why not both.png

I'd like that! I don't see it being both, though. Because of the kind of remaster it is (if it is based on the unreleased remaster made for 360), I feel like it's going to be one or the other.

Nintendo are absolute mugs if they’re happy with the ROM while Microsoft get the remaster. I want to see the ROM on Switch Online and the remaster on the eshop.

Yeah I just feel like the optics would be laughable if Nintendo opted to only get the 15 fps multiplayer, no lobbies/friends-only-online version…
Hope for the best, etc...

At least Switch will finally have a fun online FPS game after five years on the market 🙃

The game should be heavily edited in either case. I'm not sure if they're still allowed to use Pierce Brosnan's likeness in a game, that would require going through a licensing hell. But that doesn't mean this indicates Switch version is a native app, they can edit Brosnan's face out in a ROM.

Yeah I just feel like the optics would be laughable if Nintendo opted to only get the 15 fps multiplayer, no lobbies/friends-only-online version…
I'm a broken record in this thread, but I'll go on record one more time. "Optics" in the eyes of gamer message boards are not Nintendo's priority. They don't compete with Xbox on framerates, online multiplayer, or achievements, and they won't start here.

If they get Goldeneye 007 onto Switch, it'll be the N64 ROM on their NSO service. That will make the service more valuable. Just like the other N64 games that deserve HD remasters. Remember, Xbox has had a 60fps HD widescreen version of Banjo-Kazooie for years, and Nintendo has the N64 ROM. Very few people actually care about the difference. Certainly not enough for Nintendo to invest in a totally different strategy for one N64 game.

I feel like I need to make a large wager on this.

I'm a broken record in this thread, but I'll go on record one more time. "Optics" in the eyes of gamer message boards are not Nintendo's priority. They don't compete with Xbox on framerates, online multiplayer, or achievements, and they won't start here.

If they get Goldeneye 007 onto Switch, it'll be the N64 ROM on their NSO service. That will make the service more valuable. Just like the other N64 games that deserve HD remasters. Remember, Xbox has had a 60fps HD widescreen version of Banjo-Kazooie for years, and Nintendo has the N64 ROM. Very few people actually care about the difference. Certainly not enough for Nintendo to invest in a totally different strategy for one N64 game.

The difference with Banjo is that Microsoft hold all the cards. If they don’t want to release an HD Banjo on Switch then they don’t have to. With Goldeneye that game can’t be released on any platform unless Nintendo say so. It stands to reason that Nintendo could say they want the ROM for Switch Online and the remaster on the eshop and Microsoft would most likely be happy to go along with that to ensure Goldeneye comes to Xbox.

It’s guess work from all of us at the moment though. Hopefully we won’t have to wait long to find out what happens.

I hear you, but the remaster announcement is going to take the internet by storm, including Twitter. It won't just be boards. I get your thoughts on Nintendo's angle, but...in terms of driving subs, is anyone really going to give a shit when a definitively better, newer, better-controlling, online-capable version will be announced (and/or launching) the exact same day?

I just don't see a huge benefit. Now, to your point, it also doesn't hurt Nintendo. It's a nonzero gain to them, being in a position of leverage, to say "sure, you can do your Xbox remaster, but we get to use the N64 ROM." So in that sense, why not?

But I would argue, with all the negotiating power they have here, being capable of a veto...why not say "sure, do your remaster and make a version for us, too."
------
The Banjo situation isn't really a good analogue for comparison here, IMO. Totally different scenarios. Nintendo had no negotiating power there (except money), certainly couldn't force MS's hand, the games are practically the same except for widescreen (even on Xbox they are 30fps still), no possibility of multiplayer between Xbox and Switch players, and most of all, the Banjo remaster was years old - this Goldeneye remaster is going to be a moment. It makes sense Nintendo may want in on that.

The difference with Banjo is that Microsoft hold all the cards. If they don’t want to release an HD Banjo on Switch then they don’t have to. With Goldeneye that game can’t be released on any platform unless Nintendo say so.

It’s not about leverage or holding cards. For N64 games (Mario, Zelda, Banjo, etc), Nintendo has demonstrated that they prefer to put those ROMs on NSO rather than do HD remasters. Their priority for classic games isn’t Widescreen, leaderboards and achievements. It’s nostalgia, at $50/year.

I’d expect if Nintendo gets Goldeneye, the deal includes other Rare/Nintendo games too.

Edit: I would love to be wrong and see a true remastered version on switch. If that happens, it’ll be in addition to the N64 ROM. But I still say it doesn’t.

It’s not about leverage or holding cards. For N64 games (Mario, Zelda, Banjo, etc), Nintendo has demonstrated that they prefer to put those ROMs on NSO rather than do HD remasters. Their priority for classic games isn’t Widescreen, leaderboards and achievements. It’s nostalgia, at $50/year.

I’d expect if Nintendo gets Goldeneye, the deal includes other Rare/Nintendo games too.

Edit: I would love to be wrong and see a true remastered version on switch. If that happens, it’ll be in addition to the N64 ROM. But I still say it doesn’t.

It might not but your reasoning is rubbish.

I actually own remasters of Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 for 3DS and DS but those systems aren’t yet available for Switch Online. There’s also an updated Mario 64 as part of the 3D All Stars package which has several enhancements over the Switch Online version.

The Goldeneye situation is also nothing like the Banjo situation which has been explained to you by several users.

I actually own remasters of Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 for 3DS and DS but those systems aren’t yet available for Switch Online. There’s also an updated Mario 64 as part of the 3D All Stars package which has several enhancements over the Switch Online version.

You're making my (rubbish) point. Nintendo has enhanced those N64 games and brought those improved versions to market in the past. They had improvements and were sold as individual, full-price titles. They chose not to continue that strategy. They didn't bring the remastered versions of N64 games to Switch. They instead decided to use the ROMs to anchor the NSO Expansion Pack. They even removed 3D All-Stars from the eShop.

Today, right now, their platform is the Switch and if you want to play Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, or Mario Kart 64 (3 of the 5 best-selling N64 games), the only way to do that is to buy a $50/year NSO membership. Ocarina on the 3DS runs at 30fps and the models & textures look much better. Nintendo doesn't seem to mind that the "inferior" N64 versions are on the Switch for Zelda or Mario, why would GoldenEye be different?

I'm pointing out what Nintendo is deliberately doing today for classic games and what they prioritize, don't see why that's rubbish.

This debate again? Well I sure hope Flanders is wrong and the rest of us are right, but there is always that feeling in the back of my mind that maybe Nintendo will do the bare minimum. Hard to imagine they would here, and hopefully we find out this week.

This debate again? Well I sure hope Flanders is wrong and the rest of us are right, but there is always that feeling in the back of my mind that maybe Nintendo will do the bare minimum. Hard to imagine they would here, and hopefully we find out this week.
the bare minimum is scuttling the deal because Nintendo doesn't get what they want. if I was in NIntendo's position, I'd be negotiating for the remaster and the N64 version

the bare minimum is scuttling the deal because Nintendo doesn't get what they want. if I was in NIntendo's position, I'd be negotiating for the remaster and the N64 version
I meant the bare minimum to get it on the console. I do fully expect Nintendo to get both versions though.

This is supposed to come to Switch too

Last I was told, they're trying to implement cross play.

I'm personally hoping for cross save as well but won't hold my breath
I don’t see how it wouldn’t come to switch. Nintendo would need to approve its re-release and it would be weird to say yes and not having it on their own console.

Nintendo is wired. But not that weird.

Hopefully

Well, you can't have neither if this is a NSO dump, so it's has to be the remastered version. You can't even have online play with randoms with NSO.

So this can’t be a « NSO N64 App ROM » if this comes with Xbox crossplay.
Gyro aiming is all I’m asking for (and a decent framerate).

Anything is possible, but I doubt Nintendo would want the negative PR for only having the ROM compared to a full-featured release on Xbox. This is a much more monumental release than Banjo-Kazooie; people would notice.

If this actually comes to Switch, this will be huge. The Switch desperately needs another first person shooter game, and especially one with online multiplayer. Just imagine…online Goldeneye matchmaking on the Switch. Sounds like heaven!

I may as well sneak this in too and say that, if another Banjo game or Banjo remake is announced, how interesting it would be if Microsoft put it out on both Xbox AND Switch. Phil and company know that a lot of Rareware lovers still have Nintendo and the connection is just there naturally. More money for them too.

Anything is possible, but I doubt Nintendo would want the negative PR for only having the ROM compared to a full-featured release on Xbox. This is a much more monumental release than Banjo-Kazooie; people would notice.
What if, (insert Marvel theme song) the remaster comes with the original for the NSO N64 ?

Back
Top Bottom