• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion According to @Brazil podcast 'X do Controle' Nintendo Switch 2 will release in march 2025 - Summary updated [Eurogamer is corroborating]

Status
Not open for further replies.
900p-1080p games should not look terrible on a 4K set. Turn up the sharpness slider. TV sets like the LG CX have good upscaling algorithms but only kick in if sharpness is set to 20+.

There's sadly no saving certain games like Xenoblade 2 which max out at 720p with TAA slathered on top.

900p-1080p games should not look terrible on a 4K set. Turn up the sharpness slider. TV sets like the LG CX have good upscaling algorithms but only kick in if sharpness is set to 20+.

There's sadly no saving certain games like Xenoblade 2 which max out at 720p with TAA slathered on top.

Maybe not "terrible" but they can definitely look better but what really brought down the Switch for me was stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles, Age of Calamity, etc. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has such gorgeous visuals but man the visuals are BLURRY and it didn't help that out in the open areas, the game chugged. Even the damn music was skipping from time to time. At any rate, better hardware is welcomed and I'm definitely excited for higher resolutions, higher framerates and improved visuals.

I see we're back to umming and aahing about Metroid Prime 4 and whether it's cross gen again.
That's where you're wrong. It never stopped, so how could it resume?

Have people really forgotten that Nintendo have previously made Zelda a cross gen game on two seperate occasions? Course they're going to do the same with Prime 4. That way early adopters get a game which showcases the new system's capabilities, yet those unable to buy a Switch 2 still get to play it.
The difference is this nebulous "Switch 2" can play games from the previous console, and none of those examples had that opportunity.

To be serious... why would you want this? If Prime 4 spent most of it's development as a Switch 1 only game, it's not going to magically become a cutting edge graphics show piece for Switch 2 if they do essentially an enhanced port and cancel the planned Switch 1 release.
Did it though? Retro was working on MPR into some portion of 2022, who knows what was going on with MP4 in the interim, how much got done, and what plans were made in context of a Switch Pro and then Switch 2 hardware.

Edit

Just to be clear that's not me saying Prime 4 is Switch 2 exclusive or whatever, but I think people assume a bit about it's dev cycle just because it was rebooted in 2019.

Last edited:
Okay, fair. What I really should have said was "what about Prime Remastered made you think this is being held back by being released on the current Switch"

Don't think it was held back per say. Honestly it looks fine as is. That being said, I would sure enjoy the experience more in 4K/60 should that ever happen but "most" of Nintendo's first party lineup is "fine" on Switch.

Don't think it was held back per say. Honestly it looks fine as is. That being said, I would sure enjoy the experience more in 4K/60 should that ever happen but "most" of Nintendo's first party lineup is "fine" on Switch.
The post I was originally responding to was hoping that Prime 4 would skip the original Switch and only appear on the successor. There'd be absolutely no need or justification for that IMO

Okay, fair. What I really should have said was "what about Prime Remastered made you think this is being held back by being released on the current Switch"

I mean, I do expect the design of Prime 4 to be heavily shaped by the Switch's hardware and I expect small and enclosed environments to make up for the Switch's small and slow RAM and its difficulties doing dynamic lighting. This does not necessarily have to be a bad thing (I'm expecting basically a mix between Doom Eternal without some of the bigger arenas and Metroid Prime 2), but it probably does limit doors that Prime 4 could have taken. Cancelling the Switch 1 version now would not make any sense considering it was almost certainly shaped around the Switch 1.

I say they restrict MP4 to the Successor because they know dorks like us who like that franchise will totally buy a new platform ASAP just to get our hands on it. Launching the original Switch accomplishes nothing!
Exactly! I'm glad someone gets it. There are maybe a few of us probably*

I hope for real they "delay" the hell out of Prime 4 and make it for Switch 2 exclusively, as unlikely as it is.
How much do you figure would be gained from this, if it were built with the current Switch in mind?

What was it about Prime Remastered that made you think "this would have looked great if only it was on much more powerful hardware"
I dunno. Mostly the part where it only looked how I remembered it looking. Pointless.

*minus me. I, for one, will not be obtaining the new hardware at launch. Have fun, dorks!

The post I was originally responding to was hoping that Prime 4 would skip the original Switch and only appear on the successor. There'd be absolutely no need or justification for that IMO

I mean they could push the visuals a lot further on Switch 2. Not only higher resolutions but better textures, foilage, fog and cloud effects, etc etc. I mean if you don't care about visuals then yeah a Switch version would be just fine. I guess it just matters to the individual poster. If it was up to me I would want it to be a Switch 2 exclusive since I'm getting a Switch 2 anyways but others here would probably prefer a Switch version. Nobody is wrong here. It's just opinions and what each individual wants from the experience. :)

You don't think third parties would be pretty pissed off about their Switch 2 Launch titles not being available for this holiday season?
you don't know that they would be "pretty pissed off" and if they are....they'll get over it 😴

I mean they could push the visuals a lot further on Switch 2. Not only higher resolutions but better textures, foilage, fog and cloud effects, etc etc. I mean if you don't care about visuals then yeah a Switch version would be just fine. I guess it just matters to the individual poster. If it was up to me I would want it to be a Switch 2 exclusive since I'm getting a Switch 2 anyways but others here would probably prefer a Switch version. Nobody is wrong here. It's just opinions and what each individual wants from the experience. :)
They can do both.

I wouldn't hate it if Nintendo decided that Metroid Prime 4 is an exclusive now. Not having to worry about the Switch 1 means Retro Studios can really go all out with the game's visuals in a way that they can't if they also needed to spend additional time optimizing for the Switch 1 and experimenting with what effects can stay or need to go. And as such, it would make for a brilliant graphical showcase for the console. Like, Retro is skilled. I can see them leveraging the game's art style and DLSS tech to it game look comparable to a PS5 title ala what we heard about the Matrix Awakens demo. And Nintendo would absolutely love to flaunt something like that. Plus, I'm going to get a Switch 2 eventually anyway.

But at the same time, they promised a Switch 1 version so it'd be bullshit if they didn't deliver and only told us now, there's a nice and large install base ready to play it, and a Switch 1 version means I can avoid the fight to even get a Switch 2 in the system's first month or two. I'm convinced some of you would stab your fellow Fami members to get a Switch 2, and I like having kidneys.

Last edited:
Those things could be better on Switch 2 without forgoing a Switch 1 version

MP4 being Switch 2 exclusive would suck tbh. It taking so long that it got scrapped for its only announced console would be really funny, but when the comedic factor wears off I'm just gonna be upset that I'm probably going to have to wade through shortages and drop $460+ so I can play a game that was announced over 7.5 years ago by that point.

Those things could be better on Switch 2 without forgoing a Switch 1 version

Some things sure but building a game from the ground up targeting a next gen console will always look visually better then a game built targeting a last gen system. Either way the game is likely a Switch game that will also have a cross-gen release with Switch 2.

Metroid isn't Zelda.
For one, Zelda can crawl.

IMG-1557.gif

[gets booed off stage]

Some things sure but building a game from the ground up targeting a next gen console will always look visually better then a game built targeting a last gen system.
But how, specifically? The examples you did give of improvements better hardware could bring - higher resolution, better textures, foliage, fog and cloud effects - are all things that they could easily upgrade for a cross-gen game without needing to make it next-gen exclusive, thereby excluding the 100m+ current Switch owners and dramatically lowering their potential sales.

Games tend to be pretty scalable. Until the scope of your ambition vastly exceeds your hardware's capabilities, there isn't much difference in developing a game from the ground up for more modern hardware, or developing with older hardware in mind and with improvements for the modern hardware.

There are exceptions, of course. As the other poster pointed out, Prime Remastered would likely not look as good or run as well if it had much larger environments. So you could make the argument that this is drawback of developing on Switch, but I personally would argue that large, open environments would not suit the game so well. Another major advantage of modern hardware (specifcally XBO -> XSX and PS4 -> PS5) is that high speed SSDs greatly reduce load times and allow tricks like what we saw in Ratchet & Clank and Spider-Man 2, with new environments loaded essentially instantaneously giving a "portal"-like effect, but this is not an advantage the Switch 2 would have.

But how, specifically? The examples you did give of improvements better hardware could bring - higher resolution, better textures, foliage, fog and cloud effects - are all things that they could easily upgrade for a cross-gen game without needing to make it next-gen exclusive, thereby excluding the 100m+ current Switch owners and dramatically lowering their potential sales.

Games tend to be pretty scalable. Until the scope of your ambition vastly exceeds your hardware's capabilities, there isn't much difference in developing a game from the ground up for more modern hardware, or developing with older hardware in mind and with improvements for the modern hardware.

There are exceptions, of course. As the other poster pointed out, Prime Remastered would likely not look as good or run as well if it had much larger environments. So you could make the argument that this is drawback of developing on Switch, but I personally would argue that large, open environments would not suit the game so well. Another major advantage of modern hardware (specifcally XBO -> XSX and PS4 -> PS5) is that high speed SSDs greatly reduce load times and allow tricks like what we saw in Ratchet & Clank and Spider-Man 2, with new environments loaded essentially instantaneously giving a "portal"-like effect, but this is not an advantage the Switch 2 would have.

They could build the game with Switch 2 in mind but then greatly downscale it for the Switch. Like how we got stuff like Doom Eternal working on Switch. The game was developed with next gen consoles (at the time) in mind but they were able to scale it back enough to run on Switch. They could take this approach but who knows. I don't know anything about Metroid Prime 4 beyond a logo. Nate and others indicated that there is a Switch version in existence and I feel like Nintendo likely built the assets with Switch 1 in mind and will just do a bit of an upgrade (possibly 4K/60, maybe some other small improvements) for a cross-gen version but this is all pure speculation based on nearly nothing.

A performance patch for Metroid Prime 4 that shows how much better it looks than the already great Switch version would really highlight the value of the Switch 2 to people who just want to play their old Switch games. Metroid Prime Remastered shows us a Prime game on Switch can look legitimately great as-is.

Remember if Switch 2 is truly backwards compatible, there's no reason to "hold for cross gen" because everything is cross gen. Sony didn't hold back The Last of Us Part II. The game has also already been announced for Switch, unlike say the next 3D Mario. This isn't a Wii U/BotW situation where you have to sell two different games for cross gen.

The Last of Us Part II was shown off multiple times ahead of its PS4 launch, and after a couple public delays and who knows how many internal delays it happened to land later in 2020. Perhaps they considered pivoting to give it a PS5 release, but for whatever reason they didn’t. The jump between the PS4 Pro showing and a PS5 version wouldn’t have likely been a night and day difference.

Metroid Prime 4 isn’t really the same. It hasn’t been shown - not a single gameplay slice, screenshot, or even concept art. Frankly we know nothing. The closest might have been Tears of the Kingdom, which we were similarly in the dark about. While many expected that game to launch on Switch 2, I felt almost certain of it, the timelines were clearly nowhere near aligned in the end. It was targeting 2022 and we’re talking about a console releasing in 2025 now.

Metroid however is lining up very well. If we are to believe these reports that Switch 2 was releasing towards the end of this year, it’s only sensible to assume Metroid Prime 4 was dropping alongside it. Now we hear Switch 2 is moving to 2025, and it only makes sense that any important launch window titles would move with it. Launching before Switch 2 ties most of its sales and identity to Switch (1) and that contributes incredibly little value to the early adoption and word of mouth of the new console. Switch 2 is very quickly going to be the money maker; Their entire gaming business for the next 7-8 years.

If Metroid releases ahead of Switch 2 at this hour, which I fully accept is a possibility, then it was just not a very important game for the new generation. That would be upsetting.

Last edited:
That's a completely incoherent read of that quote. That was an awful saying because it was talking about the competing platforms.
I understand it's a different situation and different meaning. But I think still fits enough in this situation if the delay is primarily about first party software making everyone else wait while they catch up rather than something else not falling into place. But I hope it is something else, rather than Visions of Mana on Switch 2 not being a thing this year because some EPD team needs to tighten up the graphics on level 3.
Agreed. Has Nintendo ever been wrong about delaying a thing?
I don't know if they ever planned on it being sooner, but I think most agree they waited too long to follow up the Wii.

The Last of Us Part II was shown off multiple times ahead of its PS4 launch, and after a couple public delays and who knows how many internal delays it happened to land later in 2020. Perhaps they considered pivoting to give it a PS5 release, but for whatever reason they didn’t. The jump between the PS4 Pro showing and a PS5 version wouldn’t have likely been a night and day difference.

Metroid Prime 4 isn’t really the same. It hasn’t been shown - not a single gameplay slice, screenshot, or even concept art. Frankly we know nothing. The closest might have been Tears of the Kingdom, which we were similarly in the dark about. While many expected that game to launch on Switch 2, I felt almost certain of it, the timelines were clearly nowhere near aligned in the end. It was targeting 2022 and we’re talking about a console releasing in 2025 now.

Metroid however is lining up very well. If we are to believe these reports that Switch 2 was releasing towards the end of this year, it’s only sensible to assume Metroid Prime 4 was dropping alongside it. Now we hear Switch 2 is moving to 2025, and it only makes sense that any important launch window titles would move with it. Launching before Switch 2 ties most of its sales and identity to Switch (1) and that contributes incredibly little value to the early adoption and word of mouth of the new console. Switch 2 is very quickly going to be the money maker; Their entire gaming business for the next 7-8 years.

If Metroid releases ahead of Switch 2 at this hour, which I fully accept is a possibility, then it was just not a very important game for the new generation. That would be upsetting.
I disagree. It was announced as a Switch game and will release as a Switch game. The Switch 2 upgrade has nothing to lose from coming after the initial release and it can showcase the value of a Switch 2 for those who only want to play Switch games. I know it wasn't your intention, but mentioning TotK reminded me that we heard many of these same arguments for TotK last year.

Prime 4 I would guess isn't being shown because Nintendo learner their lesson by revealing it almost a decade too early. I would take Prime Remastered as a bit of a teaser for how it will look.

I think what people are looking for is something to show off the Switch 2's power upgrade, and they can't think of anything other than Prime to do that.

I honestly can't think of many more options either, since 3D Zelda and Monolithsoft are likely a while away. 3D Mario would be a cool game but idk if it would be a great technical showcase (willing to be wrong on that though!).
Waaaaaave Raaaaaace

Some things sure but building a game from the ground up targeting a next gen console will always look visually better then a game built targeting a last gen system. Either way the game is likely a Switch game that will also have a cross-gen release with Switch 2.
Yes but cancelling the Switch version wouldn’t magically make the Switch 2 version be retroactively made for Switch 2 from the “ground up”, unless you want them to restart development again and wait another 4-5 years.

If MP4 is a crossgen title, then it likely has been developed mostly with Switch in mind all this time. Cancelling Switch 1 version won’t make Switch 1 version any shinier, besides maybe giving someone the delusion that “Switch could run this”.

Well, if you want to get technical, Metroid Prime Federation Force was delayed as that was supposed to be a DS release. :p

Clearly we can use this as proof to declare all delays super bad! /s
To be honest that would have been garbage ds online.

Yes but cancelling the Switch version wouldn’t magically make the Switch 2 version be retroactively made for Switch 2 from the “ground up”, unless you want them to restart development again and wait another 4-5 years.

I have no idea what Nintendo is doing with Metroid Prime 4. I don't think the Switch version was canceled. However if it was canceled it was likely years ago which would be plenty of time to upgrade the visuals. At any rate I don't think the Switch version is canceled.

If Switch 2 is really backwards compatible, I don't understand what would make Prime 4 cross gen. The difference with the two Zelda launches are that one had a different control input and the other was on a non-backwards compatible system. I don't see what would make Prime 4 "cross gen" outside of a performance patch.
PS5 and Series X are backwards compatible, but they still got cross gen releases. Apart from graphical improvements, a large part of it does come down to marketing, you don't want Switch 2 buyers to look at MP4 and categorize it as a "last gen" game.

On the topic of whether or not MP4 should get a Switch 1 version at all, I just don't see how Nintendo can possibly justify what amounts to cutting off the current console on the exact day that the successor launches. Or to put it another way, even throughout the delay there was no indication that the Switch 1 version was cancelled, it would be such a rug-pull to cancel that version and only release a version for the console that you literally only launched just now.

I disagree. It was announced as a Switch game and will release as a Switch game. The Switch 2 upgrade has nothing to lose from coming after the initial release and it can showcase the value of a Switch 2 for those who only want to play Switch games. I know it wasn't your intention, but mentioning TotK reminded me that we heard many of these same arguments for TotK last year.

Prime 4 I would guess isn't being shown because Nintendo learner their lesson by revealing it almost a decade too early. I would take Prime Remastered as a bit of a teaser for how it will look.

My inclusion of Tears of the Kingdom even stated exactly what you’ve said - people were certain it was a Switch 2 launch game, and they were wrong. The difference is that Tears of the Kingdom was planned for release as early as two years prior to the launch of the new system - perhaps earlier, we’ll never know. The arguments at the time were actually the reverse direction: “The new generation must be happening soon because surely Zelda wouldn’t launch without it.” But, once again, the timelines were way off. Here we have a console that’s almost certainly hitting by Q1 2025, and was going to hit by late 2024 not that long ago, and a game that’s yet to have an iota of coverage or release date. For all we know the game could be due out late 2025.

Coming in here with certainty that it’s not a Switch 2 title because it was announced for Switch is like denying that Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild happened. It frankly has more in common with those two, with the exception of not being Zelda, and “not being Zelda” isn’t a good enough reason to think it’s not capable of being part of a system launch.

Either outcome makes sense in some way I guess. But I personally think launching it ahead of Switch 2 is limiting its relevance and potential. The game can either be positioned to cap off the old generation, or it can be positioned to kick off the new one. If it’s a really good game I’d hope we’re looking at the latter. I think it’s the best chance Metroid has at getting people’s attention.

Last edited:
My inclusion of Tears of the Kingdom even stated exactly what you’ve said - people were certain it was a Switch 2 launch game, and they were wrong. The difference is that Tears of the Kingdom was planned for release as early as two years prior to the launch of the new system - perhaps earlier, we’ll never know. The arguments at the time were actually the reverse direction: “The new generation must be happening soon because surely Zelda wouldn’t launch without it.” But, once again, the timelines were way off. Here we have a console that’s almost certainly hitting by Q1 2025, and was going to hit by late 2024 not that long ago, and a game that’s yet to have an iota of coverage or release date. For all we know the game could be due out late 2025.

Coming in here with certainty that it’s not a Switch 2 title because it was announced for Switch is like denying that Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild happened. It frankly has more in common with those two, with the exception of not being Zelda, and “not being Zelda” isn’t a good enough reason to think it’s not capable of being part of a system launch.

Either outcome makes sense in some way I guess. But I personally think launching it ahead of Switch 2 is limiting its relevance and potential. The game can either be positioned to cap off the old generation, or it can be positioned to kick off the new one. If it’s a really good game I’d hope we’re looking at the latter. I think it’s the best chance Metroid has at getting people’s attention.
Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild are examples of two games that released on their original console despite not being ready until after the successor console launched. Again this is not like those examples because of the complete backwards compatibility of the sequel Switch. Unless you think Metroid Prime 4 itself is not ready or the Switch 2 will rely on something akin to the Wii Remote, there is no reason to delay. Remember Switch 2 is like PS5-- every Switch title is a Switch 2 title.

Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild are examples of two games that released on their original console despite not being ready until after the successor console launched. Again this is not like those examples because of the complete backwards compatibility of the sequel Switch. Unless you think Metroid Prime 4 itself is not ready or the Switch 2 will rely on something akin to the Wii Remote, there is no reason to delay. Remember Switch 2 is like PS5-- every Switch title is a Switch 2 title.

Until after the successor consoles launched? They were launch titles. And we don’t know if they were coming in hot. They had to split effort a bit to accommodate two versions in both cases, and in Twilight Princesses case it could very well have been finished ahead of the Wii launch. I don’t anybody here can possible prove otherwise.

As for whether Switch 2 is akin to Wii as you put it, in some ways it’s more extreme. Wii added a crude waggle to the A button, and IR bow aiming to Twilight Princess. It was not some revolution to the underlying game’s design - the world was mirrored to account for dominant right handedness but from what I recall it was otherwise the same. Switch 2 has not revealed its hand for any controller features it might be adding so neither of us can make assumptions there. And if the future hardware threads understanding of T239 and the Gamescom leaks are to be believed, performance and tech feature set is in an entirely different league compared to the jump between GCN and Wii. Switch (1) games running on Switch 2 will not look like native Switch 2 games.

Until after the successor consoles launched? They were launch titles. And we don’t know if they were coming in hot. They had to split effort a bit to accommodate two versions in both cases, and in Twilight Princesses case it could very well have been finished ahead of the Wii launch. I don’t anybody here can possible prove otherwise.

As for whether Switch 2 is akin to Wii as you put it, in some ways it’s more extreme. Wii added a crude waggle to the A button, and IR bow aiming to Twilight Princess. It was not some revolution to the underlying game’s design - the world was mirrored to account for dominant right handedness but from what I recall it was otherwise the same. Switch 2 has not revealed its hand for any controller features it might be adding so neither of us can make assumptions there. And if the future hardware threads understanding of T239 and the Gamescom leaks are to be believed, performance and tech feature set is in an entirely different league compared to the jump between GCN and Wii. Switch (1) games running on Switch 2 will not look like native Switch 2 games.
This is all the more reason to release Metroid Prime 4 on Switch standalone first. If it looks similar to Metroid Prime Remastered, which it no doubt will look at least that good, it will be a huge hit and a technical marvel for the Switch. Remember a remaster of a 2002 game was one of the most highly reviewed games of last year. Then if as you believe the Switch 2 is that much better, it will be able to impress twice. This way Nintendo pleases their existing gigantic Switch audience but also has a compelling reason to buy the new console, all while having a major holiday release.

One major difference between the Switch and the Gamecube and the Wii U is the Switch is soon to be the most successful console of all time, rather than Nintendo's least successful console to date that they are eager to move on from. You haven't made a compelling argument for how releasing Prime 4 on the Switch hurts the Switch 2, if anything you've argued the opposite.

You haven't made a compelling argument for how releasing Prime 4 on the Switch hurts the Switch 2, if anything you've argued the opposite.
Not releasing MP4 cross gen impact the game, not the console :) pretty often on the next gen launch window new games find more success even with a tiny install base, look at Mario Rabbids where the first performed better than the sequel.
Switch 2 doesn’t need MP4 but maybe Metroid could benefit a lot if marketed as next gen on launch window.

The difference is this nebulous "Switch 2" can play games from the previous console, and none of those examples had that opportunity.
The principle is still exactly the same and the cross gen aspect is a bit of a moot point. Nintendo want a big game aimed at enthusiast fans like us to get us excited to rush out and buy a Switch 2 day 1. Prime 4 serves that purpose regardless of whether it releases on Switch 1 or not. At least by making it cross gen people who can't buy a Switch 2 for a year or so can still play the game.
Metroid isn't Zelda.
From a sales perspective no, but both are highly acclaimed prestige series with a rich history and a group of dedicated fans who would absolutely prioritise buying a new console day 1 to play a new entry. Metroid often caps out at 2 million units yeah? If even half of those fans turn up day 1 should Prime 4 launch with the Switch 2, that's still a million consoles sold in the first couple of weeks. That's what Nintendo is going for here, and the Mario's and Animal Crossing's come a bit later once supply is a bit better after the early adopters have had their fill.

And let's not forget just how BOTW ended up sending Zelda into a whole new stratosphere of recognisability and sales thanks to its reception as a Switch launch title, why wouldn't we want Metroid to be given the same opportunity?

What the heck is that Bloomberg reporting?

It feels like the outlets try to out-doom each other for fucks sake.

Begins with Brazil's "could be delayed to 2025"
Then Eurogamer/VGC "is being delayed"
Then Bloomberg "March 2025 EARLIEST!!!!!"

Like March 2025 earliest? How wrong must have something gotten at Nintendos development for that?
Some teams there had literally years to work on a new game.

We're talking about problems that just didn't come up/happen, this level would mean bigger problems that would've been noticed well before 2024.
And i think in this case, Nintendo would've made some adjustments on their release strategy, for example delaying Mario Wonder to 2024.

Lemme just keep the hope that this is one heck of a gambit by Nintendo to catch leaks and ends up being false. No offense to the individuals like Brazil and Nate, of course.

And let's not forget just how BOTW ended up sending Zelda into a whole new stratosphere of recognisability and sales thanks to its reception as a Switch launch title, why wouldn't we want Metroid to be given the same opportunity?
I don’t think you reach the sales heights that Zelda currently has based on being a launch title. It reached these heights by instantly captivating audiences & having very strong WOM. If Metroid wants the same opportunity then it’s gonna need to be more than a launch title to achieve it. The game is gonna need to do two things the franchise struggles with: strong WOM & appealing to outside audiences.

What the heck is that Bloomberg reporting?

It feels like the outlets try to out-doom each other for fucks sake.

Begins with Brazil's "could be delayed to 2025"
Then Eurogamer/VGC "is being delayed"
Then Bloomberg "March 2025 EARLIEST!!!!!"

Like March 2025 earliest? How wrong must have something gotten at Nintendos development for that?

We're talking about problems that just didn't come up/happen, this level would mean bigger problems that would've been noticed well before 2024.
And i think in this case, Nintendo would've made some adjustments on their release strategy, for example delaying Mario Wonder to 2024.

Lemme just keep the hope that this is one heck of a gambit by Nintendo to catch leaks and ends up being false. No offense to the individuals like Brazil and Nate, of course.
Is the article by Takashi Mochizuki? That guy is like Michael Pacter with his reliability mixed with a desperate click bait YouTuber lol.

I don’t think you reach the sales heights that Zelda currently has based on being a launch title. It reached these heights by instantly captivating audiences & having very strong WOM. If Metroid wants the same opportunity then it’s gonna need to be more than a launch title to achieve it. The game is gonna need to do two things the franchise struggles with: strong WOM & appealing to outside audiences.
Which it might very well do depending on what Retro have cooking. If Prime 4 turns out to be next big step for Metroid in the way BOTW was for Zelda, and encourages newcomers to the franchise in the same way, there's no reason it can't become a big success (slightly spicy additional take, might even be worth ditching the Prime 4 from the title in that instance).

My point is that it stands a much better chance of doing so if it launches early in the next console's life, than it does chucking it out in 2024 when the OG Switch is winding down. This has to be what Nintendo are aiming for, because if not, we'd likely have seen the game by now, or at least got a teaser for it or something.

Whether you belive it's existence or not, maybe Switch pro being scrapped was already a pretty good sign that they're struggling with what to do next.

i don't know who wrote it but I like the idea of Prime 4 being cross-plat and used to show the difference between the old and new switch. A target 1080p60 experience on Switch 1 could become a true 4k experience of Switch 2 with enhanced graphics.

anyone who tried running switch games in 4k on Yuzu knows how amazing Nintendo's games look on higher resolutions. Even games that suffer more in that department, like Xenoblade series, looks amazing on Yuzu.

Which it might very well do depending on what Retro have cooking. If Prime 4 turns out to be next big step for Metroid in the way BOTW was for Zelda, and encourages newcomers to the franchise in the same way, there's no reason it can't become a big success (slightly spicy additional take, might even be worth ditching the Prime 4 from the title in that instance).

My point is that it stands a much better chance of doing so if it launches early in the next console's life, than it does chucking it out in 2024 when the OG Switch is winding down. This has to be what Nintendo are aiming for, because if not, we'd likely have seen the game by now, or at least got a teaser for it or something.
To be fair BotW was the BotW moment while also launching on Wii U lol.

Granted the gap between Switch 2 and Switch will probably be bigger than Wii U and Switch. Blah blah, I'm just pointing it out

The Wii could still play Gamecube games though and it was arguably the better version, so the situation actually isn't that different to Twilight Princess.

Just occured to me that a big reason this story probably leaked so quickly and easily (as in from seemingly so many AAA publishers) is because the third parties that leaked this story are obviously pissed off about it.
Probably, tho they’re still scared of the Legal Department. This is the only Switch 2 leaked we’ve gotten: a delay for an unannounced product we know nothing except that it’s a successor to the Switch.

Also, the people that leaked the delay, are they openly calling it a Switch 2?

This is indirect confirmation it’s the same form factor

To be fair BotW was the BotW moment while also launching on Wii U lol.

Granted the gap between Switch 2 and Switch will probably be bigger than Wii U and Switch. Blah blah, I'm just pointing it out
Which is why I'm making the comparison. Nintendo have done this twice before with Zelda and it's worked out swimmingly for them (Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda prior to the two BOTW-era games). I'm just trying to point out that using Metroid as a launch era title won't be a hinderance to the series fortunes. I mean if Nintendo give Metroid it's chance in the sun as a launch title, and it still hits its usual 2-3 million copies bracket, it is never selling more than that.

Wasn’t Zelda more originally considered a hardcore type of video game, before having the appeal it has nowadays after BOTW?

Maybe Prime can be that hardcore gamer hook type of game

Which is why I'm making the comparison. Nintendo have done this twice before with Zelda and it's worked out swimmingly for them (Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda prior to the two BOTW-era games). I'm just trying to point out that using Metroid as a launch era title won't be a hinderance to the series fortunes. I mean if Nintendo give Metroid it's chance in the sun as a launch title, and it still hits its usual 2-3 million copies bracket, it is never selling more than that.
Oh my bad. I thought you were saying the opposite

Wasn’t Zelda more originally considered a hardcore type of video game, before having the appeal it has nowadays after BOTW?

Maybe Prime can be that hardcore gamer hook type of game
I would put Zelda as more mainstream than Metroid even before BOTW. But i would say that before BOTW Zelda was kinda seen as a series in decline due to the mediocre sales of Skyward Sword on the Wii. Skyward Sword on the Wii didn't sell that much more than Metroid Dread did recently on the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom