• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion According to @Brazil podcast 'X do Controle' Nintendo Switch 2 will release in march 2025 - Summary updated [Eurogamer is corroborating]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oof that would be pretty rough, especially if they don't release anything big in the meantime. Which a potential Partner Showcase isn't a good sign for

Though I guess we learned last year that journalist "big" can mean anything up to a new 2D Mario so I guess we're fine

It would be hilarious to read people's reaction if this releases in 2025, the Internet will have a meltdown lol.

But it doesn't make sense for them to announce a new system next month and then say it's not coming out until next year. They'd wait until autumn to announce it.

But we'll see.

chibi-robo-fire.gif
Yes!! Let it BURN!
Fire cleanses all!!

The only positive thing about this news is that due to a possible late release of the Switch 2, there will be a greater possibility that the Switch 1 is going to outperform the Playstation 2 in sales.

Do they have a track record for leaks?

I can see a 2025 release but I don’t understand why they would reveal it in 2024 when the Switch is still selling very well. Why would they not hold off until Jan 2025? It’s highly unlikely the Switch will see a price cut this year so I don’t see why they would choke off their holiday sales with a replacement looming.

the funny thing is, if they said "they were going to release in teh summer, but now they'll release in the fall", people wouldn't be freaking out as much despite the time scales being similar

I'll be real just on a personal level I'm gonna be super annoyed if this is true. I think it's beyond time for new hardware at this point and really hope Nintendo never stretches out a gen this long again

Prime 4 might be carrying the holiday season for Nintendo
Yet they are also claiming no big Switch releases this year. Just smaller titles. Why would Nintendo - an outright software company - not be releasing games this year with an expectation of good sales.

people are acting like this is untenable when it's a six month difference max from expectations

I'm still listening to the podcast and will summarize it as soon as possible, but this is what he tweeted:

Podcast:

• Switch 2 talk Starts at min 30
  • He has sources but cant 100% confirm it
  • He believes everything will be clarified in March
  • But although he isn't 100% sure about it, he has a lot of sources saying the same thing, so it's a solid information
  • According to his sources, Switch 2 will release during Q1 2025
  • He has more than 3 people that are working with this date in mind: Q1 2025
  • Other said that originally it was supposed to be released in 2024 but was delayed to 2025
  • NEXT FISCAL YEAR and that's Nintendo's goal
  • He doesn't know why it was decided to release in 2025 and not in 2024
  • He knows Nintendo won't stop releasing games for Switch 1 and has more stuff set to be released this year
  • But everything set to be released this year are small titles
  • Big releases only for Switch 2 now
  • He reiterates that although he will never be 100% sure until Nintendo states officially, he has A LOT OF SOURCES AND A LOT OF TRUSTED SOURCES saying the same thing: Q1 2025 (NEXT FISCAL YEAR)
  • He is kinda disappointed too but it is what it is.
END OF SUMMARY

clarification from Brazil
Thank you for the summary, Guaraná!

Just to clarify one particular point, though: at no point have I ever had, and certainly don't currently have, knowledge of the entire line-up of upcoming Nintendo games, so I don't claim to know for a fact that it's all smaller games from now on until the Switch 2 is out. The games I do know about, though, are all what you'd call smaller titles.

As for the main headline, though... yeah. Even though this is far from official - and thankfully it seems like we'll get more info soon -, the fact that I've had unrelated sources from multiple regions tell me the same thing over the past few weeks was enough to push me to publish this as a follow-up to our story about backwards compatibility from last week.

Hopefully, with the info now being out there, more sources will pop up elsewhere in the coming days or weeks.

Until there is official confirmation I think people should take this info with a grain of salt.
Absolutely, and naturally.

All I know someone is LYING. It don’t make no sense.

2025? Why did they do the gamescom demo thing that early? Also why are they announcing it in March? A year early. Wat.

Highly possible the gamescom demo is completely made up If it’s coming out in 2025 Or maybe not. Is it normal for dev kits to be sent 2 - 3 years before launch? We sorta know dev kits were out or at least partners briefing (Activision emails) in late 2022. Also, I don’t see this being announced in March if it’s coming out next year lol.

Last edited:
In a span of few days we've seen the resurrection of both the H1 2024 and the 2025 release dates. One of the strongest "we're so back" to "we're doomed" I've seen in this forum.

If there was just the slightest possibility that the big launch game from them would miss 2024, then i think they would've acted accordingly early enough.

For example by delaying Mario Wonder, or by making sure they announce enough games for Switch with a general Direct now instead of a "We're contractually forced to do it" Partner Showcase.
Perhaps Nintendo's plan is something like this

February: Contractually obligated direct
March: Reveal/Tease successor for q1 2025
April: Switch 1 general direct to detail software for 2024 including Prime 4, FE4R, etc

As for why no general now? I can only speculate, but perhaps one of the big 2024 tentpole games meant for a general needed a bit more time (Prime 4) so they decided to move it's reveal back a couple of months, but still had to show off partner games launching before that games new reveal.

..wait it's just fiscal year 2025? Then what are we freaking out over? Isn't that what we expected?

A lot of people in the Hardware thread expected July for some reason and most people expected September to November and this report is suggesting probably February or March 2025 which is later than expected by a bit.

Just to clarify one particular point, though, at no point have I ever had, and certainly don't currently have, knowledge of the entire line-up of upcoming Nintendo games, so I don't claim to know for a fact that it's all smaller games from now on until the Switch 2 is out. The games I do know about, though, are all what you'd call a smaller title.

As for the main headline, though... yeah. Even though this is far from official - and thankfully it seems like we'll get more info soon -, the fact that I've had sources from multiple regions tell me the same thing over the past few weeks was enough to push me to publish this.

Hopefully, with the info now being out there, more sources will pop up elsewhere in the coming days or weeks.

added as threadmark

If this is correct, no way they're going to reveal it as soon as march. The most I can see them doing is finally saying "yeah, we're working on our next generation console", which is hardly a reveal.

Just to clarify one particular point, though: at no point have I ever had, and certainly don't currently have, knowledge of the entire line-up of upcoming Nintendo games, so I don't claim to know for a fact that it's all smaller games from now on until the Switch 2 is out. The games I do know about, though, are all what you'd call smaller titles.

As for the main headline, though... yeah. Even though this is far from official - and thankfully it seems like we'll get more info soon -, the fact that I've had sources from multiple regions tell me the same thing over the past few weeks was enough to push me to publish this.

Thanks for clarifying this! I’m curious, based on what you know currently and what you’ve read from other reports, do you still believe a hardware reveal is planned for March?

They’re doing a Partners now because Nintendo ain’t got much and switch 2 is launching soon. March is the reveal and they’re keeping the window to half a year to release by September 2024.

They will not reveal this thing in March so early for a launch next year. They don’t do that anymore. Plus holidays are coming.

Perhaps Nintendo's plan is something like this

February: Contractually obligated direct
March: Reveal/Tease successor for q1 2025
April: Switch 1 general direct to detail software for 2024 including Prime 4, FE4R, etc

As for why no general now? I can only speculate, but perhaps one of the big 2024 tentpole games meant for a general needed a bit more time (Prime 4) so they decided to move it's reveal back a couple of months, but still had to show off partner games launching before that games new reveal.

If Metroid Prime 4 wouldn't be in a state that's showable right now, there's a big chance it wouldn't be in such a state less than 2 months later.

Also, Metroid Prime 4 would likely count as a "big game", and thus go against the podcast info, which states only smaller games.

And smaller games won't carry Switch through this year, especially if they would be so daft to announce the Switch 2 about a year before release.

If this is correct, no way they're going to reveal it as soon as march. The most I can see them doing is finally saying "yeah, we're working on our next generation console", which is hardly a reveal.
they may just acknowledge the existence of Switch 2 in march and say that they will talk about it in the future.

Wait, I'm confused. Nintendo's Fiscal Year 2025 is from April 2024 to March 2025. So do you mean Q1 FY25, which would be April-June of this year, or Q1 of calendar year 2025 (January - March, which would be Q4 for Nintendo's FY25)?

The only positive thing about this news is that due to a possible late release of the Switch 2, there will be a greater possibility that the Switch 1 is going to outperform the Playstation 2 in sales.

And I have more time with my backlog.

( I'm lying to myself, I'll just be playing Balatro all year).

it would?

Remember when Nintendo made a video specifically to announce the restart of it's development?

And even dragged one of their highest suits in front of the camera to break the news?

Does sound "big" enough for me, though that musn't necessarily mean "big in sales".

Thanks for clarifying this! I’m curious, based on what you know currently and what you’ve read from other reports, do you still believe a hardware reveal is planned for March?
I've actually heard April from a single source last week, but I'm currently more inclined to believe in NateDrake's info. That's all I got on reveal timing, though, besides the understanding that this will be a light reveal followed by more concrete info in June.

Last edited:
Wait, I'm confused. Nintendo's Fiscal Year 2025 is from April 2024 to March 2025. So do you mean Q1 FY25, which would be April-June of this year, or Q1 of calendar year 2025 (January - March, which would be Q4 for Nintendo's FY25)?
next fiscal year starts in March 2024 and ends in March 2025.

If Metroid Prime 4 wouldn't be in a state that's showable right now, there's a big chance it wouldn't be in such a state less than 2 months later.

Also, Metroid Prime 4 would likely count as a "big game", and thus go against the podcast info, which states only smaller games.

And smaller games won't carry Switch through this year, especially if they would be so daft to announce the Switch 2 about a year before release.
Are Prime 4 or Fire Emblem 4 remake actually big titles? I would think not as both will sell under 5 million lifetime.

Big is 10 million+ in a year like Mario Wonder, Tears of the Kingdom, etc

Friday, March 14, 2025 is an anagram for 12345 so I think that will be the release date

thank you for reading

yeah there are wires crossed somewhere here. if the twist is FY, then it's basically business as usual. Q1 FY25 is April-June Calender '24.

Are Prime 4 or Fire Emblem 4 remake actually big titles? I would think not as both will sell under 5 million lifetime.

Big is 10 million+ in a year like Mario Wonder, Tears of the Kingdom, etc
Fire Emblem definitely not but Prime 4 could be. It likely isn't gunna break 5 million if it has "4" at the end of it, but if it's called Metroid Prime: ______, then sure.

Ahem

For those who are getting calendars confused:

FISCAL YEAR 2025 IS APRIL 1 2024 TO MARCH 31 2025

Q1 OF FISCAL YEAR 2025 IS APRIL 1 2024 TO JUNE 30 2024

Thank you.

Last edited:
I've actually heard April from a single source last week, but I'm currently more inclined to believe in NateDrake's info. That's all I got on reveal timing, though, besides the understanding that this will be a light reveal followed by a blowout in June.
A blowout in June?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom