• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion According to @Brazil podcast 'X do Controle' Nintendo Switch 2 will release in march 2025 - Summary updated [Eurogamer is corroborating]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a few people in the hardware thread said that RAM, clock speeds and internal storage are the only things that can change at this point. Everything else is pretty much locked down.
Jumping off this point here (I don't intend for this to come off as a pointed response to you specifically; if so I apologize). So, a four to six month delay that could affect one of the above components:
  • Instead of releasing Q3 2024 with 12 GB RAM, it should now have 16 GB of RAM to launch in Q1 2025. If it doesn't, what was the delay for?
  • Instead of releasing Q3 2024 with 128 GB of internal storage, it should now have 256 GB of RAM to launch in Q1 2025. If it doesn't, what was the delay for?
  • Instead of releasing Q3 2024 clocked at whatever low end clock speeds are (I can't find what the range HardSpec is guesstimating), it should now have the higher end of clock speeds to launch in Q1 2025. If it doesn't, what was the delay for?
  • Instead of launching with an MSRP of $450 USD in Q3 2024 and all these lower end specs, it should now retail for $400 or even $350 USD to launch in Q1 2025. If it doesn't, what was the delay for?
  • Instead of fighting with scalpers for low quantities releasing Q3 2024 at 12GB RAM, it should now have higher quantities of the console available for sale at launch in Q1 2025. If it doesn't, what was the delay for?
I've already spedrun my stages of grief to land firmly in depression, and I'll probably come around to acceptance after whatever this lackluster clutch of commercials will be in the coming weeks, but I wholly empathize with everyone feeling their stage of anger right now. Especially that no matter how many warehouses are paid off to hold onto storage of boxed consoles waiting to ship, we're still gonna be fighting bots to get one of these things day one if by some miracle it does live up to expectations.

How is it that apparently EVERYONE knows that it got delayed to Q1 2025, yet not a single person has heard anything about a new reveal date, new blowout date, especially when considering all these "sources" are definitely 3rd parties that need to be briefed on when they can announce their games and begin their time-sensitive, business critical marketing campaigns? That's just as important, if not more important than a console release if you're a studio making anything that isn't a non-launch game

That's also not to mention that everyone's cool with leaking a delay but not a single thing about the hardware itself, gimmicks, specs, etc
Every console has a release date, but not all consoles have the same gimmicks and specs. It'd be too easy to narrow down the source and the consequences of those NDAs signed kick into effect. Million dollar fines and blacklisted from the tech industry is a surefire way to find yourself living under a bridge faster than your head can spin.

I don't personally feel like they care too much about dethroning the PS2, but I am a little annoyed when Nintendo is too successful because they'll do shit like sit on finished games (Prime Remastered) for a year before releasing it.
I'm okay with this because periods of time that would otherwise have nothing can have a tent pole release.

Had they not sat on Fire Emblem Engage and Metroid Prime Remastered, Q1 2023 would've been just Bayonetta Origins and Kirby remaster (and that's if those weren't sat on too!). Had Pikmin 3 DX and probably 3D All Stars not been sat on, H2 2020 would have nothing.

Oh thanks. Revenue or profit?

Profit I would imagine. Microsoft had a lot of bad years. I know during several eras it took them a long time just to break even and start turning a profit. Honestly though I'm probably not the most qualified to give accurate information here. There is a lot of data to access. For example, Microsoft spent tens of billions in buying studios the last few years so what happens when you subtract that amount from the money they actually made? I just don't have the data so I'm just guessing with all of this. Maybe someone more qualified could give you a better answer. :)

I can’t remember where I read the post (here or Era) but did someone say Nintendo have made more revenue or profit from the Switch gen than Xbox brand has made in its history? Did I fever dream that lol.
I'd believe it. Iirc Microsoft actually lost a ton of money on the original Xbox. They had a bad deal for the parts they were being supplied. It's why they pivoted to the 360 a year before Sony and Nintendo launched their new consoles.

Everyone I knew who bought the PS5 said that they are not interested in the (first year) exclusives, they only played their old titles on it. They just bought it, so they have it.
I bought my PS5 for the sole purpose to play Horizon Forbidden West (framerate and resolution), playing my old PS4 games was a big bonus though.

I honestly don’t think Nintendo needs to go too far beyond the Switch power wise. Nearly all of their games look and play great. I would much rather a weaker console that keeps development costs down versus something that might look super snazzy but would kill the B-tier and below franchises.

So I don’t mind the long life of the Switch. Enjoy it while we got it!

Nintendo is stockpiling up games so that they have a steady release schedule and quality output for the rest of the Swirch 2 cycle. That strategy worked well with Switch and I think it will work well with the new Swtich too. I don't think I will play much Switch the next 12 momths but I am eagerly awaiting the Switch 2 for sure.

I don't personally feel like they care too much about dethroning the PS2, but I am a little annoyed when Nintendo is too successful because they'll do shit like sit on finished games (Prime Remastered) for a year before releasing it.
I believe Emily and possibly Nate have mentioned that Nintendo will hold unreleased games in order to maintain a consistent release schedule.

It would be worse if they released half of their yearly slate in January just because it is ready and then would have a 7 month drought before a burst of games in the fall.

Really starting to feel that Wii-era arrogant Nintendo is truly back and the "delay" is just a front.

It's possible that they really want to dethrone the PS2 as the best-selling console of all time just for the novelty of it, and they seem to think a year's worth of compromised third-party games and $60 ports and remasters can push them over the line.
This is the second time I've read this completely bizarre argument today.
Nintendo is therefore ready to:

• give up the idea of a commercial launch during the better time of the year
  • damage its own financial health by driving down its share price and panicking hysterical shareholders
  • damaging its own image with negative buzz
  • not releasing games that are ready, enven if publishing games is its main source of income

Why? Because Nintendo, of course. Oh dear, those Japanese guys and their bloody "arrogance". Am I right? Am I right?

Of course, it's because they're obsessed with this anecdotal record that they've had absolutely no price cuts since 2017. And it's because they're arrogant that Furukawa has reminded people literally every quarter since he took over how traumatised the whole company still is by the failure of the Wii U.

Like fellow members have suggested, it’s possible that Nintendo’s launch lineup is ready, but their software for the upcoming months of when the Switch 2 releases may very well be in QA/Bug Testing.

Not necessarily that their games haven’t been finished

24 hours later, I think I’m better with the news lol.

I’d rather make sure that the launch period has consistent great games, so I’d rather have them stick the landing and have it be right … rather than have it be right now as far as 2024 is concerned.

24 hours later, I think I’m better with the news lol.
its called acceptance

the-five-stages-of-grief-in-lament-for-a-son.webp

I'm having a hard time believing Nintendo said we need to delay 3-4 months for 3D Mario. A game in development for longer than any Zelda game in history. Just doesn't make sense.
For me, I do not really think it is necessarily 3D Mario (though it could be). I think it's the games that would come after 3D Mario that maybe are not at the point now where Nintendo feels confident in them being able to release when they were expected to internally. When the reports refer to having a strong launch lineup, at least for me personally, I just think Nintendo doesn't feel confident that they would have a strong release year if it released September or Holiday this year. What I imagine is 3D Mario is likely close to finishing development but then the next major first-party game, from the perspective of Nintendo, might not be ready until March or April, leaving a pretty significant gap present between launch and that game. I feel like with them moving it to Q1 2025 or later, it not only gives them time to polish the games that they expect to make launch, like 3D Mario and the 1-2 Switch/Nintendo Land equivalent for this console, but also for their major development teams to have time to finish their games. all of which, hopefully, avoiding a major gap in first-party releases.

Honestly, I would prefer this because I mainly play games on Nintendo consoles, if not exclusively some years, and so that also means that I play a lot of first-party content. I would rather wait anywhere from three to even nine additional months for this console to release and Nintendo have their games games ready for the first couple of years than start the generation off with 3D Mario this year and then having to wait until March-May for the next game, if that makes sense! :)

I understand the surprised reactions but I've seen some downright odd takes and I can't really grasp why people are calling Nintendo things like arrogant and anti-consumer for internally delaying a console for half a year at the most. A console they haven't even publicly announced yet. It doesn't even crack the top 20 of weirdest decisions Nintendo has made. In fact it's one of the more reasonable ones.

Last edited:
I understand the surprised reactions but I've seen some downright odd takes and I can't really grasp why people are calling Nintendo things like arrogant and anti-consumer for internally delaying a console for a half a year at the most. A console they haven't even publicly announced yet. It doesn't even crack the top 20 of weirdest decisions Nintendo has made. In fact it's one of the more reasonable ones.
People say the oddest things in the seven stages that they need to get off their chest after convincing themselves that Nintendo is a certain way.

I understand the surprised reactions but I've seen some downright odd takes and I can't really grasp why people are calling Nintendo things like arrogant and anti-consumer for internally delaying a console for a half a year at the most. A console they haven't even publicly announced yet. It doesn't even crack the top 20 of weirdest decisions Nintendo has made. In fact it's one of the more reasonable ones.

I think a lot of people are just upset and disappointed. A lot of people are agitated and things get said out of frustration that maybe isn't entirely accurate with their actual beliefs. It's just been such a long wait for new hardware and every year it's basically a case where we get informed that we have to wait another year now over and over again so I think a lot of people who have been really wanting this new system just feels really let down. A few days ago I truly believed we were just a month from a full system reveal and months away from being able to purchase the system and now it's like 13 months out.

As always people will eventually adjust and recover and life moves on. Still I hope something good happens with Nintendo this year. Either a nice juicy General Direct with games we were not expecting or maybe an early look at the Switch 2. It would be extra disappointing if the Switch software lineup is as empty as it's beginning to look with nothing really left in the tank beyond the three remaining titles we have left. Things aren't looking any better for Sony and Microsoft and the entire industry so I'm hoping something positive happens or this just might be a really mediocre year for gaming in general.

I'm having a hard time believing Nintendo said we need to delay 3-4 months for 3D Mario. A game in development for longer than any Zelda game in history. Just doesn't make sense.
Might not have been for this title, more just so they have a steady release of games throughout the first year ala Switch year 1.
Also i'm gonna guess next 3D Mario will be larger in scope then any other Mario game, could need more time to perfect it

Might not have been for this title, more just so they have a steady release of games throughout the first year ala Switch year 1.
Also i'm gonna guess next 3D Mario will be larger in scope then any other Mario game, could need more time to perfect it
3-4 months wouldn't be enough time for anything but bug-fixing anyway

Don't let the gamer(tm) bubble fool you, most people weren't buying a ps5 or xs to play last gen games with better framerate/resolution, most people bought them to play the new exclusives.
Which ones? Are there even enough PS5-not-PS4 games sold to average 1 per hardware at this point?

is not just 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros, 2D Metroid, Pikmin 5? and many more all this games delayed, due to not be ready for the first 3 years of Switch sucessor, i remember in 2018, everyone complained 2018 was too dry, too barren, do you really want Switch sucessor to have a barren year? of course not

Because you can’t delay something that was never supposed to release at a certain date to begin with. The only reason it’s framed as a delay with possible explanations as to why it’s being “moved back” is because if it doesn’t release this year then the original rumors were once again wrong so it’s time to punt again.

Maybe Nintendo always liked the idea of doing a march release again because it worked so well the last time they did. Who knows.

Last edited:
I’ve heard that 3D Mario is getting pushed back because they decided to add an open-world, explorable Isle Delfino to the post-game.

I haven’t heard that, but it would make it all worth it, in my opinion.

is not just 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros, 2D Metroid, Pikmin 5? and many more all this games delayed, due to not be ready for the first 3 years of Switch sucessor, i remember in 2018, everyone complained 2018 was too dry, too barren, do you really want Switch sucessor to have a barren year? of course not

If a barren Switch 2 year means you can play your current games in higher framerate and resolution. Why wouldn't you want it? It's not like you get the new games earlier because the system is delayed.

This is also gonna be a barren year now. Would have been more fun if they released the Switch 2 with one game even.

Nintendo has only revealed games releasing through Spring and there are already more of them than Sony is getting for the entire year.

Yeah, Sony and Microsoft wish they could have a Nintendo barren year. Haha.

I’m guessing the new Fire Emblem will be the big fall game, if not another Pokémon. Nintendo will be fine.

Nintendo has only revealed games releasing through Spring and there are already more of them than Sony is getting for the entire year.
They’ve been releasing random games that sell like 15-20 million that are announced like 6 months ahead of time every year for the last like 5 years yet the blue checks keep saying no “big” games coming this year sorry just because they don’t know what’s coming therefore they don’t exist

There will be games later this year. Look at 2016, the death bed of the Wii U:

• Twilight Princess HD
  • Star Fox Zero
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions
  • Pokken Tournament
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash

We can go in circles about game quality (I intentionally left out Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games), but the point is they had new games shipping as the NX was looming.

And for 2024 for Switch, we already have:

• Another Code: Recollection (already shipped)
  • Mario vs Donkey Kong (already shipped)
  • Princess Peach: Showtime (March)
  • Paper Mario: TTYD HD
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD

That's all the stuff we actively KNOW about and it's just February. They will ship more games later this year, just wait it out and have faith. It's one thing to look at the line-up and go "it's mostly just remasters/remakes", it's another to immediately jump on the doom train.

It doesn't make sense to me that a mobile device is rendered 'obsolete' because it cannot compete with raw horsepower of stationary devices that consume several times the energy. The Steam Deck is objectively weaker than current gen consoles, it is 'around PS4 level' but more modern, but I never see any claims of it being outdated at launch (two years after the PS5) or even outdated now.
What, you mean you don't complain about how your smartphone can't match the performance of a heavy server with jet engine fans?

There will be games later this year. Look at 2016, the death bed of the Wii U:

• Twilight Princess HD
  • Star Fox Zero
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions
  • Pokken Tournament
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash

We can go in circles about game quality (I intentionally left out Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games), but the point is they had new games shipping as the NX was looming.

And for 2024 for Switch, we already have:

• Another Code: Recollection (already shipped)
  • Mario vs Donkey Kong (already shipped)
  • Princess Peach: Showtime (March)
  • Paper Mario: TTYD HD
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD

That's all the stuff we actively KNOW about and it's just February. They will ship more games later this year, just wait it out and have faith. It's one thing to look at the line-up and go "it's mostly just remasters/remakes", it's another to immediately jump on the doom train.
I mean they have forsaken there usual big fat full Feb direct so I don't know if there's much left to announce but yeah that's already a better lineup. also pokken tournament 2 confirmed #believe

If that was the motivation then they would have already done a real price drop by now.
That's where the arrogance comes from. They want to have their cake (sell Switch at a full $300-350 MSRP) and eat it too (take the crown as best-selling video game console of all time).

Another case of Nintendo's growing hubris: them thinking they can capture lightning in a bottle twice in a row by repeating the same exact tactics they employed for Switch.

Nintendo delaying Switch 2 has poisoned our water supply, burned our crops and delivered a plague unto our houses

Now that I'm back from my justified ban, I want to say that I believe that Princess Peach Showtime will be the only new first party game/game from a first IP this calendar year.

Everything else will be remakes, remasters, and ports. Yes, even Pokemon.

Another case of Nintendo's growing hubris: them thinking they can capture lightning in a bottle twice in a row by repeating the same exact tactics they employed for Switch.
Wow, the same exact tactics of... let's see... ensuring games come at a good cadence? So every single successful platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom