• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Yuzu devs have agreed to paid Nintendo 2.4 million to settle lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LMAO

N6IqfK5.png

another victory for small businesses everywhere 😎
I am going to say something somewhat controversial on this forum, but preservation for current media by consumers tends to not really exist without there also being a demand for piracy. You really can't have one without the other.

I'm not here trying to tell you piracy is great or anything, but if you are pro preservation of modern media you have to grapple with the fact piracy is going to come along with that in some capacity. It's why I always get weirded out when people talk about "preservation" in a nebulous sense like it's purely academic. Historically in other media this is not the case, and fan preservation that is adjacent to piracy has always been part of it. I've said it before but I'll say it again, I wouldn't let pirates trying to morally shield themselves by invoking the term preservation really weigh too heavy on how I feel about this kinda thing.

I do generally agree Yuzu kinda stuck their whole ass out there and caused problems for everybody, don't get me wrong. I get why they did it, but it was clearly the wrong move to be so brazen and frankly stupid to go as far as they did. Just, I do kinda wanna put it there to untangle this specific line of thinking that there is a kind of nuance in the grey area between piracy and preservation.
posting and downloading roms online isn't preservation. accessibility sure but preservation is a far more rigorous and involved academic affair or at least it should be. someone actually preserving totk will not just want the rom but to play it on its original state, meticulously cataloging it and placing it within the greater context of the industry and society as well as interviewing those involved in it. and then there's the pesky upkeep of the materials you are preserving too which no one wants to think about. those are all things that people preserving art pieces for institutions do already. whatever the yuzu guys were doing wasn't it and the people pirating definitely aren't doing shit for preservation either.

I wonder how Patreon supporters feel about their money going to paying this lawsuit and development still gets halted.

Likewise, fangames that directly utilize original game assets, such as ZeldaClassic, have been around for over 25 years.

Nintendo keeps their litigation hand strong, no doubt, but standing back, you get a bit more of a view of what and where they may "look the other way for".
With Nintendo, at least from what I've seen, and I may be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am, it tends to be they target things that are replacements or alternatives to what they currently offer, which Nintendo also believes infringes on their IP.

So, fan games that are nothing like the latest game are usually fine, but release a fan remake of a game the same month Nintendo does and it probably won't be ignored.

image.png

Citra (3DS Emulator) is also going down.
"Yuzu's support of Citra" is what's being discontinued. Afaict the actual dev teams only ever overlapped on Bunnei (who might also have been doing some technical things wrt social media and blogs), meaning the project itself probably isn't dead.

The only aspect to this that's black and white is that the Yuzu team thought they could fly into the sun and not be incinerated to atoms. They made multiple egregious blunders, including essentially operating like a for-profit business.

This won't impact the wider scene of emulation development, but the Yuzu team specifically screwed this up for themselves.

When the system is no longer being sold and has an online store up, then maybe I can buy the whole preservation thing. Right now it just feels like an excuse

"Everybody who disagrees with me is a corporate bootlicker"
There's no better bootlicking than defending a multibillionaire company shutting down an entire project because they did an oopsie even though they didn't share pirated copies or firmware/keys nor did they promote people/websites that did.

If this starts a domino effect of emulators shuttings down, Im never buying another Nintendo device either. And Im one of the few people on the planet who bought a Wii U and almost it's entire 1st party library.

Wii U is still a fantastic machine dammit!

There's no better bootlicking than defending a multibillionaire company shutting down an entire project because they did an oopsie even though they didn't share pirated copies or firmware/keys nor did they promote people/websites that did.
You don't know the full scope of what Nintendo had on Yuzu already, or what would have been discovered during discovery. If they were helping to promote illegal stuff, even if it was unintentional, it's still a crime.

posting and downloading roms online isn't preservation. accessibility sure but preservation is a far more rigorous and involved academic affair or at least it should be. someone actually preserving totk will not just want the rom but to play it on its original state, meticulously cataloging it and placing it within the greater context of the industry and society as well as interviewing those involved in it. and then there's the pesky upkeep of the materials you are preserving too which no one wants to think about. those are all things that people preserving art pieces for institutions do already. whatever the yuzu guys were doing wasn't it and the people pirating definitely aren't doing shit for preservation either.
I don't really want to downplay the major efforts made by people who want to actively engage in the levels of preservation that need to happen to keep things preserved in as much historical context as possible. I do really understand what that is. Still, I think trying to untie what having pirated media in active circulation does for preservation and media access in general from an academic setting is kinda foolish. I understand the notion of some random person going on the internet and downloading an NES rom to throw on their smartphone and going "I'm a preservationist" is really dumb. That still doesn't divorce the fact that keeping media that is no longer sold or easily accessible in circulation has been an important part of media being preserved since forever. There are several examples of film, music, and TV that would be considered lost media today if not for pirated copies of said media having existed around the time of release. Games aren't any different really.

Again, I'm not trying to downplay what the archivists and librarians and scholars of the world are doing. I'm also not trying to broad strokes paint pirates as folk heroes who are doing the hard preservation work. There's a lot of degrees to this from where I'm sitting and a reality that piracy and preservation will always be tied to each other, and I'm just going to accept it in my approach to the whole idea.

Accessibility isn't by itself preservation, but it's a key component. Almost any information scientist/archivist will tell you that.

The OP was vague, so I won't claim what they were thinking. But if this project was potentially endangering the already fine line emulation stands on, then yeah it's fine to criticize them.

This is the best result of this whole outcome.

Edit: Welp, my statement is definitely not defending OP now lol

Well folks it’s OK that Citra is gone. I’ll just legally purchase all of my 3DS Software from the Nintendo 3DS eSho—

Switch emulators can kick rocks for all I care but Citra does seem like an actual loss. Hopefully someone else can pick that up.

Damn straight.

So let's fuck preservation of games forever because Nintendo hates letting people play older Nintendo games.
I'm sorry, what? They have a made a large number of their first party catalog available on their current platform by either NSO or remakes, so I disagree. Could they do better? Sure, but I wouldn't say they "hate" letting people play their older games given the current NSO offerings.

Staff Communication
We're temporarily locking this thread while we review reports.

-Tangerine Cookie, Big Lantern Ghost, VolcanicDynamo, MissingNo.

I was hoping because of Citra being a largely separate development even if it was the same crew, it'd be safe, but damn...

I don't know what's the funniest ; the people screaming that Nintendo would totally lose and was trying to scare the scene, or this post with the devs "surprised" that their emulators promoted piracy and that they never wanted to do that.

Especially not with a patch for TotK one week before release on their Patreon and a blog post promoting it.

Yuzu take responsibility because they know many peoples used their Yuzu for piracy, not for dumping bought games. They also will lost hard if go to court because Nintendo have legit cases on them, that's why they themselves make a settlement with Nintendo quickly as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom