• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Yuzu devs have agreed to paid Nintendo 2.4 million to settle lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's... Kinda in their interest?
They are against a president and didn't want to risk it. As far as I read it, that means yuzu can stay. Am I misreading this?

Checked their website and still didn't see any noticeable change. Expected at least something related to the tutorials teaching how to deal with the keys.

I don't see Yuzu getting a settlement without the development of the emulator being cancelled. Not entirely surprising though; like 96% of US court cases get settled before they go to trial.

Personally, I'll admit that I'm somewhat disappointed that it didn't go to trial; having clarification on section 1201 and how it relates to emulator development, even if negative, would have been very worthwhile. Right now emulation is in the same gray zone it's always been.

Last edited:
A better outcome than any court case. Rob Fahey had a good article about this on GamesIndustry.

Still, I wonder what exactly Yuzu had to agree to beyond damages.

Looks like Nintendo has a case after all.

I guess this is a warning so Yuzu and other emulators don't overstep the legal boundaries.

Yuzu's internal communications(that Nintendo had access to) must've been extremely damning if the law firm they retained told them to fold this quickly.

That seems like a paltry sum compared to the stated "damages" Nintendo claimed. I suspect that Yuzu will be shut down soon.
I thought they'd 'only' claimed $300k in damages? I don't think they claimed damages or royalties based on the 1 million pirated TotK figure; that seemed to be there more to drive home the scale of piracy Yuzu was 'enabling'.

Hopefully this establishes an unspoken rule for no commercially available emulators being available for platforms that are actively in production

It was always weird to me how big Yuzu got

Best case scenario for the future is devs simply working behind the scenes now and then release the emulators after a console's life cycle ends

They're still great for preservation and should be treated as such, but it's evident a lot of people use it to promote piracy.

kkC0PFu.png
Seems like Yuzu is dead.

The best outcome of this. Will likely kill Yuzu while not creating a precedent for emulators that are actually useful for preservation.

Not surprised by the settlement. Slightly surprised that this was enough money to appease Nintendo... at least before I clicked "Messages have been posted since you loaded this page. View them?" and saw the other conditions. Yeah, Yuzu is dead, at least so far as the original team continuing work on it.

I suspect Nintendo is happy that they visably challenged this, and it was widely reported that they did, and that it’s been settled out of court, and thus emulation/piracy doesn’t end up in court risking a precedent they don’t want. Probably also why the settlement feels relatively low so it’s very attractive to take it.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. This just gives Nintendo the precedent to do this to whoever the fuck they want. This is awful news.

Fuck capitalism.
I don’t think the emulator that brought in 30,000$ in Patreon revenue per month and blatantly promoted piracy was the good person in this story, tbh.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. This just gives Nintendo the precedent to do this to whoever the fuck they want. This is awful news.

Fuck capitalism.
Yuzu's team seemingly didn't just fly too close to the sun, they dived into it. Whatever smoking gun Nintendo had made the Yuzu's lawyer say "ya'll are fucked settle ASAP". You don't settle this fast unless you know you fucked up.

This makes me think the opposite. If they were truly that damaging I would have expected Nintendo to pursue the case or a much larger settlement.
Nintendo doesn't care about the money, they care that, assuming Yuzu also pulls development, they get a win they can build on for future action.

Sucks to see Yuzu shutting down, hopefully someone can use the source code and carry on developing it.

Still, I feel like one of the very few on the planet who found Ryujinx to me much better.

They're still great for preservation and should be treated as such, but it's evident a lot of people use it to promote piracy.
I am going to say something somewhat controversial on this forum, but preservation for current media by consumers tends to not really exist without there also being a demand for piracy. You really can't have one without the other.

I'm not here trying to tell you piracy is great or anything, but if you are pro preservation of modern media you have to grapple with the fact piracy is going to come along with that in some capacity. It's why I always get weirded out when people talk about "preservation" in a nebulous sense like it's purely academic. Historically in other media this is not the case, and fan preservation that is adjacent to piracy has always been part of it. I've said it before but I'll say it again, I wouldn't let pirates trying to morally shield themselves by invoking the term preservation really weigh too heavy on how I feel about this kinda thing.

I do generally agree Yuzu kinda stuck their whole ass out there and caused problems for everybody, don't get me wrong. I get why they did it, but it was clearly the wrong move to be so brazen and frankly stupid to go as far as they did. Just, I do kinda wanna put it there to untangle this specific line of thinking that there is a kind of nuance in the grey area between piracy and preservation.

For a low effort drive by post designed to provoke others, you have been permanently threadbanned. -TC, MissingNo., Dardan Sandiego
🥾👅

Nintendo doesn't care about the money, they care that, assuming Yuzu also pulls development, they get a win they can build on for future action.
No legal precedent to build on is established when the case is settled.

The basis of Nintendo's argument (the ones that weren't total BS and provably false, at least), were that specific individuals engaged in and promoted piracy through means beyond simply developing an emulator. There was probably some evidence of this subject to discovery, so these individuals settled.

I don't think the Ryujinx devs are subject to the same arguments, nor would be anyone who picked up development on Yuzu (unless they're morons like the Yuzu devs were).

another example of a big company throwing their weight around to take advantage of the legal system and protect their bottom line. we'll never know how this would have went down in an actual court of law because of the inherent power imbalance between the plaintiff and defendant

Then what is your point? Because this is not creating a precedent other than “if you have an emulator don’t be stupid and promote piracy”. The settlement will not help Nintendo attacking Dolphin or whatever.
if you trust nintendo, with their recent history of extremely aggressive litigation, to draw the line for suing emulator devs at "don't be stupid and promote piracy", I have a bridge to sell you

This makes me think the opposite. If they were truly that damaging I would have expected Nintendo to pursue the case or a much larger settlement.
It becomes a waste of time suing someone for eleventy billion dollars if they don't have it.
if you trust nintendo, with their recent history of extremely aggressive litigation, to draw the line for suing emulator devs at "don't be stupid and promote piracy", I have a bridge to sell you
And yet, here we are with dozens of emulators for their systems that have been around for years and not been sued.

It becomes a waste of time suing someone for eleventy billion dollars if they don't have it.

And yet, here we are with dozens of emulators for their systems that have been around for years and not been sued.
That didn't stop them when it came to Gary Bowser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom