• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hm, doesn't seem to be any existing character, even accounting for design changes.

Either the crossover characters will be relegated to the Torna equivalent, or they'll be added as challenge mode rewards similar to those in 2

Edit: or maybe it is Pyra/Mythra/some new Aegis form and they have a radical design change

How's everyone doing trying to make it to the 29th? We're almost there

I ended up preordering it digitally (in addition to the special edition) because I want to play it at 11PM sharp the night before.
I'll be leaving on vacation this Saturday until the 26th so it won't be that hard. Unfortunately I'll also be missing the launch of Live A Live since I won't be home to pick up my copy, but I'll just grab both and Digimon Survive on the 29th.

So, we Europeans haven‘t yet the chance to preorder the special edition and the mynintendo store is potentially down for a couple of weeks. This is great

How's everyone doing trying to make it to the 29th? We're almost there

I ended up preordering it digitally (in addition to the special edition) because I want to play it at 11PM sharp the night before.
Still deciding whether I should buy it digitally or go physical.
On one hand I can play it as soon as possible. On the other I want that boxart

We've got a new blog discussing pretty much every possible thing to do on the field and interact with. The fabricator or plant or whatever the localization team calls it, is a way to synthesize collectibles. So you can just use gold at these to produce an item you're looking for. Pretty cool!

They also show off the eavesdropping mechanic. It reminds me a little of Xenosaga 3. I think that camping video is in the Rae-Bel Tableland so I guess that's the night theme for that area unless they swapped out the music like the Erythia clip supposedly did. Oh and the colony's music changes presumably after being liberated.

Last edited:
it's been said that the grass is fully 3D instead of billboarded, but this scene seems to show otherwise to me. the grass looks like a compressed texture

Well it's definitely not being done like the grass in botw.

Haven't really focused on it until now. The stupid camera swoops too fast on turns, and the motion blur is not helping, but it looks like it's still the same always facing the camera style of mass foliage, with the more complex sprouts and bushes in 3d sprinkled in.

I don't see any major differences beyond an improved version of what they have already been doing.

A buncha transparent fins with a texture on it, horizontal axis always fixed to the camera, vertical axis free.

it's been said that the grass is fully 3D instead of billboarded, but this scene seems to show otherwise to me. the grass looks like a compressed texture

nothing about that signifies billboarding

Has there been any hints as to when the review embargo is?
Expect it to be 1-2 days before release, as usual for a Nintendo title
Has any preview mentioned if we can toggle off the arts text description like we could do in 2 and torna during battle?
I don't believe it was in the settings menu that one of the previews showed off, but I could be wrong on that

Expect it to be 1-2 days before release, as usual for a Nintendo title

I don't believe it was in the settings menu that one of the previews showed off, but I could be wrong on that

I see. But in the case of 2 and Torna it was not in the options either, it was somethig we could toggle on and off by pressing the analog stick, during battle.

In 3 I know pressing a certain analogic stick during battle makes you dash, so, maybe the other analogic hides the text? Seems like a good question to make to one of those reviewers that are open to enquiries.

I see. But in the case of 2 and Torna it was not in the options either, it was somethig we could toggle on and off by pressing the analog stick, during battle.

In 3 I know pressing a certain analogic stick during battle makes you dash, so, maybe the other analogic hides the text? Seems like a good question to make to one of those reviewers that are open to enquiries.
I thought about that too but probably we won’t be able to toggle it off like in XC2, mainly because now the icons on the Arts are all the same, just generic swords, shields and such so without the name and description you won’t know which Art is assigned to each button for each of the six characters. With all other Xenoblade games there was a color/icon code to know if the Art is physical, etheric, if it is a buff/debuff or if it causes Topple or drop Potions just looking at it so the text was just an optional aid.

EDIT: I just found a nice way to make the two week wait a bit easier, one of my favourite twitch streamers, Deebeegeek, just started Xenoblade 2 for the first time and it’s kinda fascinating see the reactions about the story, exploration and combat and at the same time very emotional as I’m remembering my first playthrough. He’s streaming Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays if anyone is interested. Other option I considered was just watching all the cinematic scenes on the two games like a pretty big movie Lol.

Last edited:
Deebeegeek, just started Xenoblade 2 for the first time and it’s kinda fascinating see the reactions about the story, exploration and combat and at the same time very emotional as I’m remembering my first playthrough. He’s streaming Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays if anyone is interested.
I wonder whether he'll be questioning, part way through the game, why the Irish aren't a voiced nation in XBC2. :LOL:
Kudos to him for using Fidelio X2HR headphones, an unusual choice in the streaming world.

I played DE + Future Connected back in 2020, and did normal & new game plus runs of 2 + Torna, way in the past (2018). No cramming needed, fortunately.
I'll be prepping by not checking out too many previews & articles after this weekend.
I may skim read a couple of reviews during the week of release.

I thought about that too but probably we won’t be able to toggle it off like in XC2, mainly because now the icons on the Arts are all the same, just generic swords, shields and such so without the name and description you won’t know which Art is assigned to each button for each of the six characters. With all other Xenoblade games there was a color/icon code to know if the Art is physical, etheric, if it is a buff/debuff or if it causes Topple or drop Potions just looking at it so the text was just an optional aid.
Yeah I thought about this too but, what I imagined, is that they just simplified the coding (because some times too much color/information may have the opposite effect). If I am not mistaken, now arts that have some sort of secondary effect like let´s say, break, have a small icon close to the circle. So that kind of information we still get, and the rest just tells us if it a damage art, a healing one, and I know there is another kind of icon as well. It is true however we cannot tell exactly what art is sometimes, but we, kinda don´t need it? it is like, as long as we know their secondary effect, if any, them we are good. Furthermore, the more detail description can be found in the start menu, and we can pick which position/button each art goes, so it is kinda easy to memorize after a while, and then, toggling text off would be cool.

What I noticed however, is that there is a sort of animation going on with the text descriptions when we do fusion arts, the text boxes link together and there is a sparkle. But maybe if the toggle off feature does exist, at least the orange lighting that goes between the left and right art pallet can still happen during art fusion, and I noticed that the icons on right pallet changes when fusion is possible, for instance they become crossed swords, telling us that a fusion art can be triggered, withouth the need for the texts. So I don´t know, I still have a bit of hope XD. We have not seem it yet, but again, in Xenoblade 2 review gameplays, the reviewers never used this feature either, like as if they did not even know about it, so yeah.

Xenoblade games suffer from a lot of sensory overload, especially for casuals. I don't bemoan the complaints about UI and complexity. the fact that Xenoblade comes up in Game Design Doc's bad design category are merited. and then you have a lot of stacking of mechanics. reviewers not remembering that stuff is believable and not because "hurr durr reviewers" but the games (especially 2) keeps throwing you new stuff.

complexity has its fans, but it's not a wonder why some of the best selling rpgs are also games with superficially simple mechanics and/or have visually unconstraining UIs

I'm quite sure now we'll be able to roam the map with a vehicle. I just randomly saw a screenshot of the boat and it doesn't particularly look like one, more like a transformed mech and there's really too much large flat areas which I'm kinda worrying traversing on foot first.

Xenoblade games suffer from a lot of sensory overload, especially for casuals. I don't bemoan the complaints about UI and complexity. the fact that Xenoblade comes up in Game Design Doc's bad design category are merited. and then you have a lot of stacking of mechanics. reviewers not remembering that stuff is believable and not because "hurr durr reviewers" but the games (especially 2) keeps throwing you new stuff.

complexity has its fans, but it's not a wonder why some of the best selling rpgs are also games with superficially simple mechanics and/or have visually unconstraining UIs

I somehow agree
But I don't get why Souls game are on the contrary so praised by the critic, considering how far more ermetic they are in explaining game mechanics
It's probably the ivory tower complex

I somehow agree
But I don't get why Souls game are on the contrary so praised by the critic, considering how far more ermetic they are in explaining game mechanics
Souls games are also a lot simpler, at least in core gameplay. Even if the game doesn't explain things well, there's also not really that much to explain

I somehow agree
Because it's a known quantity. People who don't like Souls games core designs won't play or review the next Souls game.

Same goes to Xenoblade and why all previews are glowing. People who don't like complex games or big worlds won't be reviewing XC3 for the most part. What made XC2 and XCX score below XC1 wasn't the complexity or what people knew/expected about the games. It was things like bad tutorials, cliff hangers, gating story progression behind RNG, field skill issues, echi-anime-tropes and so on.

I somehow agree
With Souls games you'll be fine just spamming roll+r1 and remember to level up and upgrading your weapon.

The game is out in less than 2 weeks and preorders for the Special Edition in the EU have not open, we do not know when they will open and the My Nintendo store is under maintenance.

The game is out in less than 2 weeks and preorders for the Special Edition in the EU have not open, we do not know when they will open and the My Nintendo store is under maintenance.
The only good thing I perceive there is the potential improvement in shopping experience once the special edition is open for sale, thanks to the maintenance. On the other hand I'm really feeling it, the wait ...

Straying off topic a bit, I opened Torna today to warm up before 3 arrives and realized that the Golden Monsters are still there, and Herculean Gibson is handing me my ass consistently without fails lol. Any tips folks?

The only good thing I perceive there is the potential improvement in shopping experience once the special edition is open for sale, thanks to the maintenance. On the other hand I'm really feeling it, the wait ...

Straying off topic a bit, I opened Torna today to warm up before 3 arrives and realized that the Golden Monsters are still there, and Herculean Gibson is handing me my ass consistently without fails lol. Any tips folks?
If you want to be cheap, you can take advantage of Minoth's accumulative damage bonus for each cancel attack:

DO NOT PUT ORBS ON IT

If you want to be cheap, you can take advantage of Minoth's accumulative damage bonus for each cancel attack:

DO NOT PUT ORBS ON IT
2022071700572000-659bqkjjg.jpg

Indeed abstaining from blade combo until the end does the job! Thanks a lot guys. Now imma aim to finish the superboss before XC3 arrives lol.

Nintendo Life posted some new screenshots, and there's some spoilery things including a hero/class (one that was already leaked by the NoA site) so beware if you're avoiding that.

Noah is shown wearing Ethel's coat here:
large.jpg

Interestingly, this scene is the hero quest to get Valdi. Heroes are mostly optional so you can do them in any order but it's noteworthy that they already have Ethel's class when meeting Valdi. It's possible Ethel really is the first hero. That would mean Valdi is met in the Ribbit Flats and not the Millick Meadows as some of us thought. So maybe heroes aren't introduced until you get to Eagus and do the Colony 4 attack sequence.

Then there's also a shot of what looks to be an unmasked consul:
large.jpg

And Mio is wearing an outfit that I don't believe we've seen before so that might be a new hero:
large.jpg

Nintendo Life posted some new screenshots, and there's some spoilery things including a hero/class (one that was already leaked by the NoA site) so beware if you're avoiding that.

large.jpg

Interestingly, this scene is the hero quest to get Valdi. Heroes are mostly optional so you can do them in any order but it's noteworthy that they already have Ethel's class when meeting Valdi. It's possible Ethel really is the first hero. That would mean Valdi is met in the Ribbit Flats and not the Millick Meadows as some of us thought. So maybe heroes aren't introduced until you get to Eagus and do the Colony 4 attack sequence.

large.jpg

And Mio is wearing an outfit that I don't believe we've seen before so that might be a new hero:
large.jpg
I'm pretty sure that last picture is Mio in the swordfighter outfit.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg
Hm, yeah, that seems to more or less confirm Ethel is the first Hero. Explains why Hidden Thorn (I think?) is a skill so early, since it fits Ethel's class. I wonder how that's going to shake out

Does Ethel join, die, and get replaced later by a clone (might be the scene we see of her in the pod room)? Or does she join temporarily before then getting affected by the Ouroboros thing and leaving? Or maybe she actually does just join permanently there, and someone else takes over her mech and title (maybe even a separate clone)? She clearly is in the party long enough to grant her class at the very least, hopefully that's not a missable thing.

And yeah Mio's outfit might be just be Swordfighter

Edit: Kinda weird how they've sorta been hyping up the Ehtel/Cammuravi rivalry if Ethel joins so much earlier

Yasunori Mitsuda tweeted about the commercial with the new vocal track in it and said he was surprised they used that one, which leads me to think that might be the end credits track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom