• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the slight OT but I‘m not sure where to ask. What was the problem with Xenoblade 2 undocked again ? Resolution or fps ?
I’m in the middle of a Xenoblade 1 playthrough and at the point when I would like to know what awaits me in the sequel. Was docked good ?
No problem, but I hope that this doesn't devolve into the same old deadlock debates as seen on the other forum.

The dynamic resolution system, frames per second and post-processing filters are all issues, especially within more complex scenes.
Torna the Golden Country improved game engine performance to a decent degree, but there was only so much they could achieve within development timeframes.
Play the game(s) in docked mode as much as possible, they deserve to be enjoyed on a larger screen (unless you're doing fetch quests or XP farming).

The very end of 1 will have the strongest link to the sequel, but it won't be obvious until you reach a certain point in XBC2. I should not explain matters in anymore detail, it is best to experience those story moments yourself, rather than read random spoilers on the internet.

The one little feature I really love is the pickup objects being actual, well, objects in the world.
Well, when you get close enough. That's a curious thing, isn't it? I wonder if the items are somewhat randomised, and getting closer to them rolls the dice. I wonder if you could game the system by running in and out of distance to get the pickup you want? That'd be really good actually. Doubt it though.

watching this preview I've noticed some things

• remember the early leaks of there being a lot of enemies on the field? this video has an example of assisting a side, I can see how they came to that conclusion in the leak. it makes be believe this will have major story effects in that you can choose sides and have a small army also fighting enemies alongside you
  • the forward bases feel more like New LA, but this might have more to do with their military slant.
  • soldiers can only increase their side's flame clock when defeating opponents with their summonable weapons (blades). once again, seems like there are major story implications here. maybe we'll eventually acquire weapons that don't release combatants' life energy

Have any of the previews mentioned if the audio mix is better than it was in 2? Cutscenes in 2 had the bad habit of playing music so loud it overpowered dialogue.

In 2 you could always adjust the sound levels of music and dialogue
Yes but for some reason if you set it well to work in regular gameplay, those settings would not work well in cutscenes, and vice versa.

If I cranked the music down to where I could hear the cutscenes, the normal sound effects completely overpowered the music in gameplay, IIRC. And no matter how I set it, the sound effects always sounded muted in cutscenes, so sword clashes and stuff landed with very little aural impact. Plus I forget which but one of the sliders controlled two types of volume, so one was always louder than the other no matter what you set it at.

It's been a while, I forget all the specifics but I definitely do remember fighting like crazy to get all the sound levelled out and could never get it to where it sounded right. Same thing with Torna.

Edit: just googled the volume menu to refresh my memory, one of the issues I had was that there were separate voice adjusters for cutscene and game, but no separate game vs cutscene adjustment for anything else. And don't quote me on this but I think cutscene sound effects were tied to the music volume, not to the gameplay sound effects volume (I think I remember turning music volume way down to try and hear the sounds in the cutscenes, and the cutscene sounds would go down with them), so sounds in the cutscenes were always quieter than the music no matter what, making them sound weirdly muted while gameplay sound effects were nice and crisp.

Anyway whatever it was I just hope 3 is better.

Last edited:
I’m very curious if the game will address FC main events (the rift and the fog and fog king). Other than Melia being Queen, all races living together and Shulk’s improved Monado technology now being obiquitous it doesn’t seem a clear connection between the two yet. My hype is over nine thousand lol

Just listened to the RPGsite podcast where they talked about Xenoblade 3. They mentioned the game has some surprising Xenoblade X elements in it. After hearing this and seeing some other previews hint at X-like parts, I really wouldn't be surprised if there are flying mechs. Considering the game has an air of finality for the series, it makes sense that they would want to bring them back for this last hurrah.

They also mentioned that they will talk more about the game a while before it launches which makes me think there will be another round of previews that delve further into the game.

Just listened to the RPGsite podcast where they talked about Xenoblade 3. They mentioned the game has some surprising Xenoblade X elements in it. After hearing this and seeing some other previews hint at X-like parts, I really wouldn't be surprised if there are flying mechs. Considering the game has an air of finality for the series, it makes sense that they would want to bring them back for this last hurrah.

They also mentioned that they will talk more about the game a while before it launches which makes me think there will be another round of previews that delve further into the game.
so far, it looks like a lot of XCX stuff is mechanical. from the way the levels are laid out, to how classes work, to the feel of the colonies and military theming. there will probably be some returning enemies as well. but I'm still not expecting an big story relevant stuff

so far, it looks like a lot of XCX stuff is mechanical. from the way the levels are laid out, to how classes work, to the feel of the colonies and military theming. there will probably be some returning enemies as well. but I'm still not expecting an big story relevant stuff
Yeah, from what I've seen (which isn't a lot granted, I'm trying to keep it light) XC3 really seems to be a fusion of all the best parts of 1, 2, and X as well. Obviously the story and locations and characters seem all 1 and 2 but there's a lot of X DNA in mechanics and maybe exploration. I would not be at all surprised if one of the super endgame areas has a mech as a vehicle, although I would imagine it wouldn't be able to actually fight like skells do, just be more for traversal. But then again who knows? That'd be quite the thing to unlock late in the game.

Idk if there are playable mechs
but some promotional images have shown the "wings" of the boat being open so it may have flight capabilities

It begins lol.

Voice actors getting some loves. Hope they prepare for the memes and fan art.

Clicked on the profile for Eunie's VA and uh...

...yeah. instant follow.

Edit: I see you stalking her, @poop. You're welcome.
Also ffs dude watch Everything Everywhere All At Once

Last edited:
You know, I thought I was going to be more reasonably hyped until release (don't look at my post count here) but I've definitely started to hit the "yeah this game I'm playing is nice and all but it does suffer from not being Xenoblade Chronicles 3"

The 29th can't come soon enough

No problem, but I hope that this doesn't devolve into the same old deadlock debates as seen on the other forum.

The dynamic resolution system, frames per second and post-processing filters are all issues, especially within more complex scenes.
Torna the Golden Country improved game engine performance to a decent degree, but there was only so much they could achieve within development timeframes.
Play the game(s) in docked mode as much as possible, they deserve to be enjoyed on a larger screen (unless you're doing fetch quests or XP farming).

The very end of 1 will have the strongest link to the sequel, but it won't be obvious until you reach a certain point in XBC2. I should not explain matters in anymore detail, it is best to experience those story moments yourself, rather than read random spoilers on the internet.
I dunno.. maybe it's just me but I had little to no complaints with XB2 docked. It looked good at 720p and perfomance felt stable to me. I liked the sharpening and TSAA or whatever it was.

Xb1 felt like a step down. Not going to mention the Wii assets.. It just looked really Blurry especially in open fields like on Bionis. Especially in the beginning area. Some areas are significantly better though.

Some of the collectibles I've seen include ponio fossils and buloofo fossils. I don't think we've seen either of those enemies returning so it's like some environmental storytelling implying these species have gone extinct. I thought that was cool.

As a warning, the preview video that Meristation released has a pretty significant spoiler in it. It’s pretty easy to miss, but it’s definitely significant.

If that doesn’t bother you, it also has clean rips of new sections in the Millick Meadows music, as well as a new verse in YWKON Finale, both of which sound superb.

As a warning, the preview video that Meristation released has a pretty significant spoiler in it. It’s pretty easy to miss, but it’s definitely significant.

If that doesn’t bother you, it also has clean rips of new sections in the Millick Meadows music, as well as a new verse in YWKON Finale, both of which sound superb.
Can't find it. Got a link?

Damn that sounds sick. Could you share these pics?
It's on the Japanese website:
modal_ship_img1.jpg

@poop It's at the end of this article: https://as.com/meristation/2022/07/07/avances/1657198849_696864.html

The spoiler appears at about 1:30. Skip to 1:55 to avoid the spoiler and hear the Millick Meadows theme.

Last edited:
It's on the Japanese website:
modal_ship_img1.jpg

@poop It's at the end of this article: https://as.com/meristation/2022/07/07/avances/1657198849_696864.html

The spoiler appears at about 1:30. Skip to 1:55 to avoid the spoiler and hear the Millick Meadows theme.

I take it you mean this:

113D89D2-92B1-47B0-B6A5-95B0257B654C.jpeg

At first I thought that was
Mwamba, but looking back at the Nintendo Life gameplay video it doesn't seem to be the same outfit.

Mind giving me a hint?

I take it you mean this:

At first I thought that was
Mwamba, but looking back at the Nintendo Life gameplay video it doesn't seem to be the same outfit.

Mind giving me a hint?
I'm pretty sure that's Vandham's body. The armor's the same and the bulkiness of the body as well. Mwamba's rather lean. A lot of us have been thinking Vandham actually wouldn't die and would be the first pixelated hero but this seems to confirm otherwise.

Though I think Mwamba dies by Wild Ride's hand too based on another scene I saw. I'm lost on who the first hero is.

I'm pretty sure that's Vandham's body. The armor's the same and the bulkiness of the body as well. Mwamba's rather lean. A lot of us have been thinking Vandham actually wouldn't die and would be the first pixelated hero but this seems to confirm otherwise.

Though I think Mwamba dies by Wild Ride's hand too based on another scene I saw. I'm lost on who the first hero is.
Yeah, the fact that Vandham is now confirmed to be dead really doesn't clear things up at all. Who would join that early and yet be a spoiler?

I'm starting to lean towards the theory that whoever Censored Hero is joins at the beginning of the game as the Hero tutorial, dips for some reason or another (betrayal, death), and then returns later on, but keeps their original chronological slot. In which case maybe it is Ethel like a lot of people have been thinking (for, imo, incorrect reasons, but it would be funny if they turned out to be right anyways). I could see a situation where she either

A. joins, then gets hit by whatever thing makes the soldiers see Ouroboros as enemies and turns into an antagonist, before joining back later on in the game

or

B. joins after the first battle with her in Eagus Wilderness, gets killed, and returns as an initially antagonistic clone later on.

Still not quite sure that fits Ethel specifically (it's convoluted as hell to explain it with all the scenes we see Ethel in as an antagonistic force, plus the general mold of her character and the fact that I can't see her joining that much earlier than her clear counterpart in Cammuravi) but I could maybe see some other character, maybe even a returning character from 1 or 2, following that general mold.

are we sure the first hero listed is even chronologically first or are people just assuming that?
You can see the chronological sort on the Hero menu where we see the pixelated Hero, that's about as confirmed as you can get. I suppose "Chronological" may not refer to the order of joining but the rest of the Heroes shown fit that order (and it's the same order as the Chronologically sorted Class list) so there's no reason to assume that's the case.

Yeah, the fact that Vandham is now confirmed to be dead really doesn't clear things up at all. Who would join that early and yet be a spoiler?

I'm starting to lean towards the theory that whoever Censored Hero is joins at the beginning of the game as the Hero tutorial, dips for some reason or another (betrayal, death), and then returns later on, but keeps their original chronological slot. In which case maybe it is Ethel like a lot of people have been thinking (for, imo, incorrect reasons, but it would be funny if they turned out to be right anyways). I could see a situation where she either

A. joins, then gets hit by whatever thing makes the soldiers see Ouroboros as enemies and turns into an antagonist, before joining back later on in the game

or

B. joins after the first battle with her in Eagus Wilderness, gets killed, and returns as an initially antagonistic clone later on.

Still not quite sure that fits Ethel specifically (it's convoluted as hell to explain it with all the scenes we see Ethel in as an antagonistic force, plus the general mold of her character and the fact that I can't see her joining that much earlier than her clear counterpart in Cammuravi) but I could maybe see some other character, maybe even a returning character from 1 or 2, following that general mold.
I think I was one of the people that suggested Ethel was the first hero before lol. But I really don't see that being the case now. Before I thought Eagus was before Millick Meadows but now I know that's not the case and they aren't in the same region (Millick in Aetia and Eagus in Fornis).

My only guess right now is that Mwamba might actually survive. We know Wild Ride is carrying a Keves soldier in one hand and an Agnus soldier in the other when he first enters. the IGN video pretty much confirms the Keves soldier in Wild Ride's grip is Mwamba, but I don't think we actually see him die? Maybe he's seriously hurt but manages to pull through. Then again, I saw a cutscene with him in one preview where it looks like he has even left time left on his clock than Mio does.

Unforgivable

Hanging my head in shame this morning.

I dunno.. maybe it's just me but I had little to no complaints with XB2 docked. It looked good at 720p and perfomance felt stable to me. I liked the sharpening and TSAA or whatever it was.

Xb1 felt like a step down. Not going to mention the Wii assets.. It just looked really Blurry especially in open fields like on Bionis. Especially in the beginning area. Some areas are significantly better though.
I had no major bugbears with the performance from my personal perspective, I spent 95% of my time playing the game(s) in docked mode.
I should've qualified the earlier post as being a general consensus thing. Digital Foundry and the other forum have certainly kept the topic alive for many years after the fact. I think that folks are expecting too much from mobile hardware that was debuted in 2015.
I thought that Definitive Edition was mostly fine from an image quality perspective, but leaving in a lot of the janky character animations from the 2010 version was a tad disappointing.

It's cool that Rebecca and Kitty have started to embrace attention from the fans.

I think I was one of the people that suggested Ethel was the first hero before lol. But I really don't see that being the case now. Before I thought Eagus was before Millick Meadows but now I know that's not the case and they aren't in the same region (Millick in Aetia and Eagus in Fornis).

My only guess right now is that Mwamba might actually survive. We know Wild Ride is carrying a Keves soldier in one hand and an Agnus soldier in the other when he first enters. the IGN video pretty much confirms the Keves soldier in Wild Ride's grip is Mwamba, but I don't think we actually see him die? Maybe he's seriously hurt but manages to pull through. Then again, I saw a cutscene with him in one preview where it looks like he has even left time left on his clock than Mio does.
Hm yeah I guess if Eagus is the first Ethel encounter that's way too late for her to be the first Hero even if she leaves and comes back. I guess Mwamba could survive, but he seems too lackluster to be a Hero at all, much less someone worth spoilering. His weapon is also very similar to Valdi's (the first Hero who isn't Censored).

Plus, from what I gathered from the previews, Heroes probably don't come in until at least a bit after the Wild Ride fight, and it would be weird to have Mwamba leave the party after that battle and then rejoin for some reason later. I suppose it's possible, but it would be strange

I guess we're kinda at square one for the Censored Hero. Amazing how well they've managed to keep them from us considering how they've spoiled Ethel like, 3 times now

Im getting a little bit concerned about the depth of the titles character loadouts.
What do you guys think makes the team stronger. I really enjoy grinding and making my team in xenoblade games stronger. I played all xenoblade games.

1.)Until now i saw no character equipment screens, i read there is only one equipment slot to begin with
2.)Arts: though there are many arts, is there a way to level them up? lets say hypotheticaly i want to keep sword fighter class for Noa: How can it become stronger? I really hope the arts can be leveled up in some way
3.)In xenoblade 1 there were up to 5 affinity trees per character, in xb2 there was a affinity ring, and a second one unlocked. I wonder how is that handled in xb3. I didn't see anything yet confirming there is sth like that
4.)weapons: As of now, i didnt see any kind of weapon upgrade mechanic..
5.)Gems: The gem crafting looks as well simplyfied, and it looks like its only tied to a per class basis, like a perma buff for that specific role

All in all im concerned that the width was increased (classes), but the depth drastically reduced. I need reassurance :)

What do you think?

I've only been skimming through previews because I don't want tooo many spoilers, but I am so pleased with everything I have seen and heard so far.

And oh my god at the the Mobius boss battle music and cutscene to battle transition.

It's so close and so far away.

Im getting a little bit concerned about the depth of the titles character loadouts.
What do you guys think makes the team stronger. I really enjoy grinding and making my team in xenoblade games stronger. I played all xenoblade games.

1.)Until now i saw no character equipment screens, i read there is only one equipment slot to begin with
2.)Arts: though there are many arts, is there a way to level them up? lets say hypotheticaly i want to keep sword fighter class for Noa: How can it become stronger? I really hope the arts can be leveled up in some way
3.)In xenoblade 1 there were up to 5 affinity trees per character, in xb2 there was a affinity ring, and a second one unlocked. I wonder how is that handled in xb3. I didn't see anything yet confirming there is sth like that
4.)weapons: As of now, i didnt see any kind of weapon upgrade mechanic..
5.)Gems: The gem crafting looks as well simplyfied, and it looks like its only tied to a per class basis, like a perma buff for that specific role

All in all im concerned that the width was increased (classes), but the depth drastically reduced. I need reassurance :)

What do you think?
To answer some of your questions:
1) There are three accessory slots but only one slot is available at the start of the game. You need to hit level 30 to get the second slot, the level for the third slot is unknown. Accessories are pretty much the same as 2's: they each have either just one stat boost or just one special effect.
2) Arts level up passively for every five ranks in a class.
3) Skills are handled more like X's this time. Each class has four passive skills on them and two of those can be mastered and transferred to other classes when you hit rank 5 and 15 in the class they come from. There are three bonus slots to equip transferable skills in. The first is available as soon as you get class change. The second unlocks at level 20. The level for the third slot is unknown. These skills also level up passively as you gain ranks in the class. Ouroboros have the skill trees more like 2's driver affinity charts but twice as big.
4) No weapons or equivalent upgrades at all I'm afraid. I thought upgrade chips for your Irises (flame-clock eye things) would've been a good replacement for 2's core chips but we haven't seen anything like that at all.
5) We know the least about gems as they aren't available in chapter 1 according to gamexplain. I don't think they're permanent buffs because when you look at a gem in the crafting menu, there's a label in the UI showing how many of that gem you own so they do look like equipables but we have no clue where you equip them or how many you can equip. The accessories don't have anything that looks like gem slots. The fact there's only 20 gem effects in the crafting menu is certainly worrying.

I do share your concerns that they've gone a little overboard with simplifying this part of the game. I'm hyped as hell for this game and can't stop thinking about it. I think the combat and exploration might be the best in the series and I'm so excited to play with class hybridization but it's just equipment is the one area of the gameplay where I feel let down a tad. I'll miss manually upgrading arts as something extra to do but it's ultimately for the best since every character can learn every art (that would've been a minimum of 115 arts for each character to upgrade).

Last edited:
Hm yeah I guess if Eagus is the first Ethel encounter that's way too late for her to be the first Hero even if she leaves and comes back. I guess Mwamba could survive, but he seems too lackluster to be a Hero at all, much less someone worth spoilering. His weapon is also very similar to Valdi's (the first Hero who isn't Censored).

Plus, from what I gathered from the previews, Heroes probably don't come in until at least a bit after the Wild Ride fight, and it would be weird to have Mwamba leave the party after that battle and then rejoin for some reason later. I suppose it's possible, but it would be strange

I guess we're kinda at square one for the Censored Hero. Amazing how well they've managed to keep them from us considering how they've spoiled Ethel like, 3 times now
Fuck. I wish I didn't spoil myself with that one picture. I'm done

Quoted by: SiG
To answer some of your questions:
1) There are three accessory slots but only one slot is available at the start of the game. You need to hit level 30 to get the second slot, the level for the third slot is unknown. Accessories are pretty much the same as 2's: they each have either just one stat boost or just one special effect.
2) Arts level up passively for every five ranks in a class.
3) Skills are handled more like X's this time. Each class has four passive skills on them and two of those can be mastered and transferred to other classes when you hit rank 5 and 15 in the class they come from. There are three bonus slots to equip transferable skills in. The first is available as soon as you get class change. The second unlocks at level 20. The level for the third slot is unknown. These skills also level up passively as you gain ranks in the class. Ouroboros have the skill trees more like 2's driver affinity charts but twice as big.
4) No weapons or equivalent upgrades at all I'm afraid. I thought upgrade chips for your Irises (flame-clock eye things) would've been a good replacement for 2's core chips but we haven't seen anything like that at all.
5) We know the least about gems as they aren't available in chapter 1 according to gamexplain. I don't think they're permanent buffs because when you look at a gem in the crafting menu, there's a label in the UI showing how many of that gem you own so they do look like equipables but we have no clue where you equip them or how many you can equip. The accessories don't have anything that looks like gem slots. The fact there's only 20 gem effects in the crafting menu is certainly worrying.

I do share your concerns that they've gone a little overboard with simplifying this part of the game. I'm hyped as hell for this game and can't stop thinking about it. I think the combat and exploration might be the best in the series and I'm so excited to play with class hybridization but it's just equipment is the one area of the gameplay where I feel let down a tad. I'll miss manually upgrading arts as something extra to do but it's ultimately for the best since every character can learn every art (that would've been a minimum of 115 arts for each character to upgrade).
Thank you so much for your erabolation! I as well am so hyped for this game, and the waiting is so hard haha. I truly believe that monolith created a truly special game, and once i hold it in my hands it will not leave my switch for a very very long time. As you already statet, all other areas seem to be very very exciting! I hope that there is enough to collect and level up!!! That is one part for me what made the series so amazing :)

They're 720p though so best played on a small TV actually.
That's why we zombified waiting for the new switch and the eventual resolution upgrade patch for these games.

They're 720p though so best played on a small TV actually.
That's why we zombified waiting for the new switch and the eventual resolution upgrade patch for these games.
My ancient 2011-era 50-inch Plasma TV was absolutely fine for the job; perhaps its natural graininess and complete lack of upscaling capabilities synergised with the trusty Erista Switch perfectly.

Is it worth creating a separate LTTP thread for 1 & 2?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The IMDB page for XBC3 got updated soon after the June Direct and three English voice cast members were added.

Simon Thorp - Guernica Vandham (expected)
Rebecca Benson - Fiona (makes sense, since the character has a Scottish accent)
Catrin-Mai Huw - No role specified (presumably will be returning as Nia, very obvious)

Has anyone done any performance analysis of xb3 yet to see resolution and fps in handheld and docked mode?
DF said they're doing one. There probably isn't a lot that can be said for previews due to embargoes. Previews are saying resolution is better than 2/DE and that the framerate is very stable, if not a locked 30fps.

My ancient 2011-era 50-inch Plasma TV was absolutely fine for the job; perhaps its natural graininess and complete lack of upscaling capabilities synergised with the trusty Erista Switch perfectly.

Is it worth creating a separate LTTP thread for 1 & 2?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The IMDB page for XBC3 got updated soon after the June Direct and three English voice cast members were added.

Simon Thorp - Guernica Vandham (expected)
Rebecca Benson - Fiona (makes sense, since the character has a Scottish accent)
Catrin-Mai Huw - No role specified (presumably will be returning as Nia, very obvious)
Small tv and old 1080p ones then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom